• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Both sides’ are interested in reviving SNK vs. Capcom, says producer

Bullet Club

‘Both sides’ are interested in reviving SNK vs. Capcom, says producer​

SNK director claims a recent Evo promo ‘reconfirmed’ fan demand for a collaboration

lZMTdeJ.jpg

The producer behind SNK’s biggest fighting franchises has claimed there’s interest from “all sides” in reviving the cult-classic SNK vs. Capcom series.

The classic crossover fighting game, which sees characters from The King of Fighters duke with familiar Street Fighter combatants, hasn’t seen a proper instalment since 2003, partly due to SNK’s bankruptcy in the early 00s and pivot to pachislot machines.

Capcom released two arcade and console fighting games featuring its one-time genre rival in 2000 and 2001, while SNK released portable games, card game spin offs, and one arcade fighter during the same era.

Speaking to VGC, Yauyuki Oda, the producer and designer who has spearheaded SNK’s fighting game revival in recent years (he directed King of Fighters 16 and produced Samurai Showdown, plus this year’s KoF XV), has now suggested that a new instalment in the crossover series could finally be feasible.

Oda referenced collaborative promotional posters which were released at this month’s 2022 Evo fighting game tournament, featuring artwork from both SNK and Capcom games. Unsurprisingly, the nostalgic merch was well received by fans, and Oda told VGC it ‘reconfirmed’ the public’s huge interest in a potential SNK vs. Capcom revival.

Asked if he was interested in creating a new SNK vs. Capcom game, Oda said: “Definitely in the future, that’s something that I think everybody on all sides, in both parties, are interested in making a reality.

“Especially after we saw the reaction to the [Evo posters]… it helped us reconfirm that that is probably one of the most wanted things from the fighting game community across the entire world.”

Asked if there were specific plans in place, Oda replied: “We haven’t really talked in detail with anybody at Capcom about it. It might have come up as a vague comment. However, we have a lot of experience [in crossovers] with things like Akuma and Geese in Tekken, Terry [Bogard] in Fighting EX Layer, Terry in Smash Bros., and Baiken in Samurai Showdown…

“But recently, we haven’t actually done anything with Capcom, even on character collaboration stuff. So that poster [at Evo], in our sense, was the first step towards maybe something like that happening in the future.”

Asked if fans might have to wait another 20 years to see a full-blown new SNK vs. Capcom game become reality, Oda-san repied: “20 years is definitely too long for me. We’ll try and get it done in 10!”

Although Oda claimed no serious conversations have taken place, there have been noises from Capcom’s side suggesting that interest in a new collaboration exists. Last year Capcom vs. SNK 2 director Hideaki Itsuno told Polygon he would “love” to one day make a third game.

However, Itsuno is currently occupied with the Devil May Cry series and the upcoming Dragon’s Dogma 2.

“I actually have two ideas for one-on-one fighting games still lingering in my mind,” he said at the time. “It’s more of just a matter of having the opportunity to do so, so if there’s anyone that’s willing to give me a development team and a nice budget, I’m more than willing to listen.”

‘A Unique Genre’​

SNK’s Oda is a veteran employee of SNK, having helped design Fatal Fury Special (1993), The King of Fighters ’95 (1995) and Garou: Mark of the Wolves (2000). After the company’s bankruptcy and acquisition, Oda joined Dimps where he actually got to work on Capcom games such as Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter X Tekken.

Having returned to SNK around a decade ago, Oda has spearheaded many of the company’s recent fighting games, including directing The King of Fighters XIV (2016), and producing SNK Heroines (2018), Samurai Showdown (2019) and King of Fighters XV (2022).

Having worked on many of Japan’s biggest fighting game series, Oda is well positioned to discuss the genre and its uniquely collaborative environment between rival creators.

“We have a really good relationship with [other fighting game companies],” he told VGC. “We meet very often and have dinner together. A lot of the time, it’s not [about] very specific things, but we do talk about the community and the genre in general.”

He added: “A lot of the decisions are not made by the developers, but by the marketing teams. But to a certain extent, even without any internal info, we know that Street Fighter 6 is the big thing right now, and if we go head-to-head with them, everybody is going to be at a disadvantage.

“Especially for something like Evo, even though there are so many different game communities coming together, we are all on great terms with each other and there’s a lot of overlapping. We just think we want to build that up and grow it even more.

“It’s a very unique genre in that sense, I would say. There are other genres where you would have a lot of butting heads between IPs and such, but there’s more overlap in the FGC, I would say, and everyone is happy when a new game comes out.”

Source: VGC

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
They'll drop the sequel to the card game first that never got localised. But please do make a cross over and don't make it look cheap.

Street Fighter X Tekken was toilet.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/capcom-vs-snk-3/
Speaking to VGC, Yauyuki Oda, the producer and designer who has spearheaded SNK’s fighting game revival in recent years (he directed King of Fighters 16 and produced Samurai Showdown, plus this year’s KoF XV), has now suggested that a new instalment in the crossover series could finally be feasible.

Oda referenced collaborative promotional posters which were released at this month’s 2022 Evo fighting game tournament, featuring artwork from both SNK and Capcom games. Unsurprisingly, the nostalgic merch was well received by fans, and Oda told VGC it ‘reconfirmed’ the public’s huge interest in a potential SNK vs. Capcom revival.

Although Oda claimed no serious conversations have taken place, there have been noises from Capcom’s side suggesting that interest in a new collaboration exists. Last year Capcom vs. SNK 2 director Hideaki Itsuno told Polygon he would “love” to one day make a third game.

More info on the article.

I wish this becomes a real project at some point, CvS2 is probably my fav fighting game.

cireza

Banned
If this happens then I hope that Capcom will make an actual effort, because their 2 games were super poor in terms of presentation, especially the second one, with sprites mixed together without the slightest effort. Some characters redrawn, others not, some coming from Darkstalker, some SFA, some SF3... It was awful.

The scale of the characters was ridiculous, they did not match at all. Sometimes the art style was mismatched. And the interface in the second game was ugly as sin, with characters that looked like they were cut from their original picture by a kid using paint. One of the ugliest 2D fighting games I have seen.

They were totally bankrupt back then in terms of know-how with 2D sprites. At least the stages were really pretty in the first game, not the second though.

SNK did a much better job in terms of presentation and SVC Chaos has some of the best Capcom character rendition ever seen. And everything was well harmonized with an artistic guide-line and a definitive choice made for the gameplay, rather then offering 6 different types lol...

And the Neo Geo Pocket fighting game is awesome. A must play.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Modern Capcom and modern SNK are not capable of making a worth successor to CVS2. The newer SNK stuff is pretty fun, but the Capcom Vs. SNK series is a relic from when these studios were at the top of their game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’d be happy just to have CvS 1&2 and SvC Chaos released on modern platforms. A new game would be amazing.

skneogaf

Capcom vs snk 2 is absolutely amazing if played on a crt but damn it looks terrible on a pixel screen lcd or oled.

The 3d and 2d look 🤮

Capcom vs snk 3 will be unbelievable

God Rugal ftw

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is there any chance of CVS 1&2 and SvC Chaos being released on Steam and modern platforms? These classics absolutely need to be experienced by the younger generation and I would love to be able to play them again.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Seeing mediocre characters like Isla (KoF XV) and Luke (SFV) take up character slots would sour my enjoyment of this hypothetical entry. Also, I am sad there are no more Street Fighter vs crossovers and they always have to have Morgan and Mega Man taking up space.

I would definitely prefer Guilty Gear vs Darkstalkers crossover.

P.S. SvC gameplay was gimped for every character. CvS gameplay was gimped for the SNK cast. I have heard praise for SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium on NeoGeo Pocket Color, but never played it.

Last edited:

Blackage

Omg this bump, you all got me excited for a second there.

There was a period where Capcom/Snk were re-releasing those smaller games. Maybe Evo will surprise us and Capcom vs SNK 2 will show up next year followed by an announcement? We can dream!

Elbereth

Capcom vs SNK… What a gem. I remember playing this on a 10-ton Sony Vega TV and thinking this was the absolute pinnacle of fighting games at that time.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Arksys would shit the bed with that animation.
what are you talking about? They're up there with capcom when it comes to amazing animation in FGs. It's not even the replication of the anime style in 3D but also the animation in general being very smooth.

what are you talking about? They're up there with capcom when it comes to amazing animation in FGs. It's not even the replication of the anime style in 3D but also the animation in general being very smooth.
No. If you look closely, the animation is jank as hell. It looks like it's missing frames. Capcom and Snk do a far better job of animation than Aksys. The dust animations look weird as hell. Plus their animation lacks impact and heft. There's a huge disparity in aksys and Capcom/SNK animation.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No. If you look closely, the animation is jank as hell. It looks like it's missing frames.
that is legit the whole point. It's meant to replicate the on 3s anime style. It's not the fault of the animators it's a genuine artstyle choice, and it looks very good. Not to mention being held on frames makes it easier to determine hitboxes when everything isn't constantly in motion.

that is legit the whole point. It's meant to replicate the on 3s anime style. It's not the fault of the animators it's a genuine artstyle choice, and it looks very good. Not to mention being held on frames makes it easier to determine hitboxes when everything isn't constantly in motion.
3s? I think you mean Alpha as alpha was the anime style. Nevertheless, Guilty Gear is jank in gameplay. Feels weird. I say this coming from the dreamcast guilty gear x. I still own the games, but i would never say they're animation masterpieces. Plus Aksys has some weird aversion to grapplers. Potemkin always sucks.

Futaleufu

P.S. SvC gameplay was gimped for every character. CvS gameplay was gimped for the SNK cast. I have heard praise for SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium on NeoGeo Pocket Color, but never played it.

Chun Li and Guile on SvC were pretty good, probably the best they had been up to that point.

Capcom never understood characters like Benimaru, his CvS appearance is his worse version ever.

Top Bottom