• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Cyberpunk 2077,’ Delayed Another Year, Could Have Changed The Industry

I obviously would have been happier with a more fully baked game, and one which targeted next gen only. I put the game off, and just decided to start it a few weeks ago, and I've got to say I don't get the hate. I'm loving the story, and most of the side quests are well done. It's no Witcher 3 in terms of writing, but I think it's still better and more ambitious than 90% of games out there. The part that sucks to me is that we will likely never see a sequel or any serious DLC. This world could be truly amazing

It might have been polished, but polish is actually only half the story. It was missing all the ambitious features they promised (NPCs with schedules? , did away with having real meaningful role playing and RPG backstory options in favor of revolving around Keanu, and I doubt 1 year would have implemented all that back in.

Here is a list of features someone compiled (many of which I was excited for as the game built up to release) that ultimately didn't make it into the game, even one year+ after:

If all these made it in, it would have been so much richer an experience, and as an open world that could rival if not beat those of Rockstar and Bethesda. But yeah, they needed 3 more years at least.

Last edited:
RxnfqsJ.gif

No.

It’s still not a good game.

Sure, it doesn’t have had any many bugs now compared to at launch but it’s a mediocre game IMO that had a lot of potential.

Fuck you scared me. At first I thought they were delaying the content for another year XD

I honestly don't think the game being released a year after would have changed industry. It's an open world rpg with shooting and stuff, but nothing revolutionary.

It would have taken a much bigger beast to be considered the pinnacle of something. When we were all hyped out about the (delayed again and again) release of the game, this was in my mind, "i will love 2077, but the one that will actually be breathtaking will be 2088 (a sequel)".

It's cdpr first venture into shooting, sci-fi, first person, they needed to release a first work before they could pull out a masterpiece. I'm one of those that point the corporate greed and the logical but sad decision to try to release it in ps4/xone being the main culprit of this mess, a current-gen only could have avoided a good chunk of the hate (and potentially not hurted sales much, as it could have been a console seller).

Meanwhile here I am, with the sad 3090 that I bought for this game, waiting for the day cp2077 is considered "finished" so we can play it properly. Maybe the release of the anime rises up the passion of the community a bit, but I don't expect any cp77 sequel in the next 10 years

Last edited:

Jaybe

The linked opinion piece is rather asinine.

I genuinely think we could be living in an industry with a legitimate competitor to Rockstar’s GTA series.
But Cyberpunk, … became something truly great, and genuinely the most meaningful do-crimes-in-the-city sandbox entry since any other GTA title

Not sure why this Paul Tassi has a hard-on for equating CP2077 and GTA. I never got the sense CDPR was going for a GTA-clone. I played it back in Jan 2021 on XSX and thought it was an 8/10, enjoyable Openworld RPG with some memorable missions. Plan to give it another run in a year or so. It was deplorable they released the last gen versions is such a disastrous & fraudulent state though.

Last edited:
It couldn't have changed the industry more than it already has and we're all very grateful for at least doing that, even if it failed at everything else.
This. It happened exactly as it was supposed to, and those intended will learn the lessons they need to from that.

Denton

Of course, it's way better now than at launch, but still not as great as Witcher 3 or Deus Ex: HR (for a better comparison). CP2077 fails at being a good RPG, fails at combat, fails as a looter, fails as an immersive experience, fails as an open world, etc. etc.
Complete bullshit of course; combat is fantastic and so is the city and storytelling in it. In fact having finished both Deus Ex HR and MD and Cyberpunk, and enjoyed all three, Cyberpunk edges the other two because it takes their level of detail and brings it up to open world scale beyond anything Eidos ever managed.

iQuasarLV

The article was wriiten in part due to Gene Park brilliant article of getting the courage to fight cancer whilst playing cyberpunk and really, the one that should be highlighted. Of course, the shitposters and haters will never read it.
Yep. I was not going to do the footwork for the post count whores who wanted to post less than two minutes after this went up. The Gene Park piece IS mentioned in the article and goes to show that some people do find worth in the game as it is. BUT that goes against the popular narrative.

The issue with the game wasn't the glitches or lack of quality control. But the lack of understanding what an rpg is. The game has barely any options, no real builds, as well designed as the city is the lack of immersion is stunning. CDPR created a great game in the witcher 3 but not a great rpg. They had a story blueprint with it and when they did not they couldnt live up to the hype. So I dont think another year fixes the core issues of the game, as someone who enjoys cyberpunk.

EDMIX

I actually disagree looking at the state of the game right now I'm starting to realize just how bad this game actually was and I would argue even our naive initial responses that the game should have been delayed a year start to sound a bit funny when you look at how fucked up the game still currently is

This game did not need one or two years it literally needed several.

So the fact that two years later this game is still fucking struggling to be a PlayStation 2 game is too wild for me to believe a delay for one year was really going to correct this shit.

The longer this goes on the more I stand firm with my statements that Ubisoft would have made a better game because they would have actually had the manpower to fucking make a real working game in the first place.

FFVII Remake right after Cyberpunk, and the world feels absolutely puny and artificial compared with what Cyberpunk did.

FFVII never was and never marketed itself to be some RPG about that world, society and your interaction with it. Its like saying Neir is getting a pass or Persona 5 is getting a pass etc Those games are not making some marketing push or argument to be the next generation of open world games where you are stealing cars, fighting cops and doing missions in the open world based on NPC interactions. Massive, massive difference.

If Cyberpunk never did that, I don't even think most of us would have cared, look at Deus Ex, how come we are not ripping that game to shreds based on it not having lots of those elements?

Maybe its because it never marketed itself to be that type of game in the first place.

Justin9mm

The only reason why I liked the game was because of it's setting and cool things like the weapon designs etc, it had some cool shit.

But the game is shit on so many levels. Without writing an essay on the 100s of things wrong with the game (even today), all I can say is, it is clear CDPR do not have the talent/level of ability to make the ambitious game they had in mind.

This article is also bullshit, had they released the game today, it would still be received negatively. There was no way it was ever going to live up to the hype it created!

Although it was never meant to copy or be anything like GTA being an RPG, people still expected GTA level production quality because of the hype. So it was always going to fail.

Last edited:
even almost 2 years later, the game is still nowhere close to what was promised. the shitty open world with no real life and clone NPCs that spawn when you turn around too fast and the lack of soul in the open world hurt this game. the missions are pretty good i give them that but other than that this could have been a linear shooter for all i care
Making the game available to previous gen was a death sentence

Can't wait til they're left in the dust

Mr1999

1 year would not have been enough. I feel as if a decision was made sometime during development to scale back down, the fact that it does not take advantage of height as much(flying cars/etc) its a huge letdown, I feel like it was a half ass attempt, but I see room for improvement. Compared to the early magazine scans of this game a lot has changed so there's that too.

anothertech

Add to that 'next gen only' and 'third person' and I probably agree.

I spent most of my time on motorcycles cause I wanted to see my character.

I obviously would have been happier with a more fully baked game, and one which targeted next gen only. I put the game off, and just decided to start it a few weeks ago, and I've got to say I don't get the hate. I'm loving the story, and most of the side quests are well done. It's no Witcher 3 in terms of writing, but I think it's still better and more ambitious than 90% of games out there. The part that sucks to me is that we will likely never see a sequel or any serious DLC. This world could be truly amazing
There's a full fledged dlc expansion coming sometime in 2023 (hopefully). They've already formally announced it.

From my understanding there were originally going to be two, so I don't know if they consolidated the two, or just scrapped the second one, but they're at least diving in one more time.

legacy24

1 year still wouldn't have been enough or atleast scrap the last gen versions would have had a better first reaction

op22

The article was wriiten in part due to Gene Park brilliant article of getting the courage to fight cancer whilst playing cyberpunk and really, the one that should be highlighted. Of course, the shitposters and haters will never read it.

Even after dozens of hours of playing “Cyberpunk 2077” since my diagnosis, and several drafts of this essay, I am not much closer to understanding my sudden fascination with this title given my current predicament. I should be triggered by this game. It’s an aggressive reminder of terminal illness.
I have bought the “Cyberpunk 2077” Secret Lab gamer chair, the “Cyberpunk 2077” soundtrack on Apple Music, the “Cyberpunk 2077” art book and comics, and two Dark Horse “Cyberpunk 2077” action figures. I never felt caught up in the nine-year marketing hype cycle for this game. Yet here I am, a few years out from release, spending money on the brand like an uncritical fan.
Great article.

delay the game by a year??? ARE YOU CRAZY???

Will somebody please think of the SHAREHOLDERS?????

The fact of the matter is that the game could be delayed for 2 years and the game would still be bad. The game has too many issues at the core level that it would involve going back to preproduction to fix them. CDPR got overconfident and let the scope of the game ballooned too big and ambitious. They got way more than they can chew.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If they would have released the game they originally revealed they could have changed the industry. It's an ok game now but theres nothing revolutionary about it, even a year later.

Last edited:
Why do we get a new thread about this game every week?

It got deservedly hammered at launch, due to the sheer lies told by management. As many in the thread have already pointed out, even if the game ran flawlessly for everyone at launch, it is still sorely lacking as an RPG, has TERRIBLE systems in place for things like loot and police chases, has an absolutely asinine main storyline, and feels no different than a bunch of open world checklist games.

When can we ALL just accept the fact that CDPR did not deliver the goods on this game, and finally just get past it?

MiguelItUp

Honestly, as someone that was able to play through the game at launch, it was fine. Another year wouldn't have made the experience vastly better, either. There'd be less bugs, better performance, etc. But I think the outcome wouldn't be much different.

A lot of things in the game were neat, but, it was hyped to be much more than what it was. I don't think I'd blame the hype though. I'd blame the promises that were made in the first place that generated such hype.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Game is going to fail regardless they delayed the game or not.

The problem is not the bugs, its the AI and tne gameplay design

GenericUser

1 year would certainly not be enough. More like 3 to 5 years. I don't see how 1 year could've made such a difference, we might have gotten a more bugfree release, yeah, but the game itself is not very enjoyable to play. That's the core problem.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I think instead of more time, what the game needs is a new engine and new developers.

What the author is basically saying is that Cyberpunk in it's 2021 form would change the industry, because that was the state of the game 1 year after release.

2022 Cyberpunk is still just a more polished mediocre at best game and the 2021 version is going to change the industry? lol

Last edited:

Banned
Cyberpunk is a terrible open world game with awful systems and basically no ambition.

so no it fucking wouldn't have changed anything.

they couldn't even implement police chases for fucks sake...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Haha. No.

I enjoyed the 50-60 hours I gave it at launch but the issues with that game could not be resolved with "a bit more dev time". It's fundamentally too ambitious, it tries to be 4 games at once and ends up being 1/4 of each.

Philfrag

Banned
Between now and the release of Witcher 4 there's going to be a lot of cyberpunk revisionist history going on. I predict a lot of articles like this one and youtube essays popping up in my feed telling me how actually cyberpunk is an underrated classic that has more in common with Morrowind than GTA. I'll be told that actually Cyberpunk was never trying to be an open world sandbox but a more contained adventure game where night city was actually the main character or some pretentious shit like that.

I thank god that there was so much bullshit marketing for this game. That clear contrast between what was promised and what we got is the only story worth telling here. CDPR shouldn't be able to hide from this embarrassing spectacle.

Top Bottom