• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘I read all 27,000 Marvel comics and had a great time. Here’s what I learnt’

Pagusas

Elden Member
very interesting, I had always wondered if anyone had actually "read it all". Hell I was considering reading all of "amazing spiderman" until I realized I didnt even know where to begin or how to go about it.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Interesting. Assuming you can power through a typical comic in 5 minutes (probably not much of an exaggeration for a lot of comics but doing a disservice to a decent minority) that would be 27,000x5 min / 60 min = 2200 hours or so, basically a full time job for a year.

For another comparison of the enormity of this task, if the word count of the average comic is ~210 and page count of the average issue is ~32 then that is 27Kx210x32=18.1 MILLION words, or basically reading the ENTIRE Wheel of Time megasaga FOUR times (4.4 million words).

Yikes!

But I really question this. Can you even get ALL of marvel? Does even Marvel know ALL that they produced? It is still an awesome achievement (Platinum one for sure) but a somewhat dubious claim I think.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I just gave the guardian a click.
living single shiver GIF by HULU

sol_bad

very interesting, I had always wondered if anyone had actually "read it all". Hell I was considering reading all of "amazing spiderman" until I realized I didnt even know where to begin or how to go about it.

That's what I'm currently doing. About 3000 books deep so far.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Buy that man a lifejacket. If he goes to comic-con when it comes back he is gonna drown in puss.

CoD kings with their high K/D are in tears right now......

Last edited:

sol_bad

does it make you like spiderman more or less lol?

I'll say that I enjoyed 60's Spider-man quite a lot and 2015-2016 Spider-Man is fine but not anything amazing. I'm actually reading the whole Marvel universe, not just Spidey. The reading order I use has 32,000 books though, so this dude has missed quite a few.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
People like him keep motivating Marvel to puke baby formula movies on us for unending cash bonanzas.. fuck thaaat
I mean......the movies are fun? Its not supposed to be high art. It's not meant to be the next Godfather or something.

The MCU is basically just spoon fed awesome that both kids and adults can safely digest without much thought or worry.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I mean......the movies are fun? Its not supposed to be high art. It's not meant to be the next Godfather or something.

The MCU is basically just spoon fed awesome that both kids and adults can safely digest without much thought or worry.
You know I'd never hold your opinions against you, but i don't share them, i have similar problems enjoying other hugely formulaic bodies of corporate work...

... It's probably because i didn't grow up reading comics... That's probably the length and breadth of it, i don't get stirred by the sight of iron man flying in, fist first, to save the universe for the trillionth time.

... I just get the feeling that these films push better ideas out of the financial line, i guess. I don't put much thought into it, i just want them to stop for a while.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go watch The Bourne Identity while i do my work :messenger_peace:

sol_bad

You know I'd never hold your opinions against you, but i don't share them, i have similar problems enjoying other hugely formulaic bodies of corporate work...

... It's probably because i didn't grow up reading comics... That's probably the length and breadth of it, i don't get stirred by the sight of iron man flying in, fist first, to save the universe for the trillionth time.

... I just get the feeling that these films push better ideas out of the financial line, i guess. I don't put much thought into it, i just want them to stop for a while.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go watch The Bourne Identity while i do my work :messenger_peace:

Do you watch movies at the cinemas?

sol_bad

Not often these days, maybe 5 or 6 in the last 3 years

Well you can't really complain about something that you aren't supporting can you?

I mean I love the shit out of the MCU. But over the last 4 months I have also been to the cinemas to see:
The Last Duel
Halloween Kills
Antlers
007 No Time to Die
Red Notice
Last Night in Soho
Mio's Cook Book
Encanto
Dune
Venom: Let There Be Carnage
The French Dispatch
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City
Don't Look Up
Matrix Resurrections
West Side Story
House of Gucci
Sing 2
Ghostbusters Afterlife
Scream
The Kingsman
Nightmare Alley

Instead of just complaining about the MCU, you should try and actually support other films.

Tschumi

Well you can't really complain about something that you aren't supporting can you?

I mean I love the shit out of the MCU. But over the last 4 months I have also been to the cinemas to see:
The Last Duel
Halloween Kills
Antlers
007 No Time to Die
Red Notice
Last Night in Soho
Mio's Cook Book
Encanto
Dune
Venom: Let There Be Carnage
The French Dispatch
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City
Don't Look Up
Matrix Resurrections
West Side Story
House of Gucci
Sing 2
Ghostbusters Afterlife
Scream
The Kingsman
Nightmare Alley

Instead of just complaining about the MCU, you should try and actually support other films.
Bold = movies I've interest in seeing
Bold+green = movies I've seen

Anyway i don't think my attendance record has anything to do with my opinion on the meu

sol_bad

Bold = movies I've interest in seeing
Bold+green = movies I've seen

Anyway i don't think my attendance record has anything to do with my opinion on the meu

You're saying they should stop making MCU films. Why would they when they are making so much money?
You want more variety in Hollywood you need to support more variety. Supporting 007 and Matrix isn't going to cause much more variety unfortunately.
Spend less time on hating the MCU and more time on financially supporting things you like. The MCU is never going away.

Tschumi

You're saying they should stop making MCU films. Why would they when they are making so much money?
You want more variety in Hollywood you need to support more variety. Supporting 007 and Matrix isn't going to cause much more variety unfortunately.
Spend less time on hating the MCU and more time on financially supporting things you like. The MCU is never going away.
You've got this wrong...

I don't need to do anything besides have an opinion.

You don't need to do anything besides disagree with my opinion.

Cya...

Pejo

Dude looks like a character from Portlandia. I can't imagine having the fortitude to read all of those, especially the lesser known shlock.

I guess by signing the contract to read/write about the comics, they gave him free access to them on an e-reader or something?

Yep

Love the MCU and I saw most of those non MCU films in theaters too

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everyone wants to say the finished every video game or read every newspaper the simple truth is that’s very challenging because of the supply, difficult to access etc. i recommend and everyone agrees in a movie or game series to finish them all but that’s crazy.

Lunarorbit

I remember at the other site someone wanted to do this and everyone jumping down their throat. 27,000 comics is an epic achievement. I do most of my reading on marvel unlimited nowadays but props to this guy

Not this crap again. You commit this "no true Scotsman" fallacy in every thread where people voice their concerns about pop movies.
You don't need to be a hopeless fanboy and spend hundreds and thousands of dollars in order to critique something.

Tschumi Tschumi is a smart guy and perfectly able to share his insights, in fact I much prefer his insight over your fanboyish cheerleading. I don't give a crap how many comics you own or how many movies you've seen at the cinema this month.
Consumer habits are a poor substitute for critical thinking.

Tschumi

Not this crap again. You commit this "no true Scotsman" fallacy in every thread where people voice their concerns about pop movies.
You don't need to be a hopeless fanboy and spend hundreds and thousands of dollars in order to critique something.

Tschumi Tschumi is a smart guy and perfectly able to share his insights, in fact I much prefer his insight over your fanboyish cheerleading. I don't give a crap how many comics you own or how many movies you've seen at the cinema this month.
My day = made

home-alone-i-love-you.gif

sol_bad

Congratulations?
Considering I've probably actually read and watched things where as you just read/watch articles that read/watch things for you, I'm pretty sure I'd be much more equipped than you to actually critique things.

Kagey K

Banned
I'll say that I enjoyed 60's Spider-man quite a lot and 2015-2016 Spider-Man is fine but not anything amazing. I'm actually reading the whole Marvel universe, not just Spidey. The reading order I use has 32,000 books though, so this dude has missed quite a few.
You using CMRO Travis Starns?

Kagey K

Banned
Yep, best Marvel reading order I have seen and it keeps track of everything.
Working through the Conan Hyborian order as well.
It's the only one that exists (for all the older stuff anyway) as far as I'm concerned.

Comic Book Herald is pretty good for people just wanting to read modern stuff.

Top Bottom