• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Savage first-person shooter’ Turbo Overkill announced for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

Publisher Apogee Entertainment and developer Trigger Happy Interactive have announced “savage first-person shooter” Turbo Overkill for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam, GOG, Epic Games Store). It will launch in 2022.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

Half-Metal, Half-Human, Half-Crazy

Heavily inspired by some of the all-time greats like DOOM, Duke Nukem, and Quake, with stunning cyberpunk visuals, Turbo Overkill is the most savage first-person shooter ever released by Apogee. You play as half-metal, half-human, half-crazy Johnny Turbo, augmented with hidden arm rockets and a chainsaw that extends from your lower leg allowing you to kick-slice enemies wide open.

In this Blade Runner-meets-DOOM hellscape, Johnny returns to his hometown of Paradise and finds its entire population possessed by Syn, a rogue AI, and its army of augmented minions. Desperate for enough money to outrun his past mistakes, Johnny takes on the impossible job of destroying the greatest AI ever created. Rival bounty hunters want to claim the prize first. Nothing is easy in paradise.

Hero Time, Wall-Running, Dashing and Grappling Hooks, Oh My

Turbo Overkill takes over-the-top to never-before-reached heights. Activate Hero Time (TM), a new form of slow motion with a twist. Build incredible speed by wall-running and dashing. Slide on your chainsaw leg, eviscerating foes and opening up bosses for critical damage, and go car-surfing on the hoods of flying cars. Blast away with the Twin Magnums, which lock-on and instagib several foes, the Boomer Shotgun and its attached grenade launcher, or the Telefragger sniper rifle, which teleports Johnny inside an enemy before they explode from within. The first-person shooter genre is about to get wild and fun again.

Race through two dozen stages packed with secrets, bonus arena stages, and white-knuckle combat puzzles. Find game-changing collectibles to unlock punishing modifiers like triple-monster-speed and insta-kill. Combine all of Johnny’s weapons and powers to outsmart, outgun and outrun the corrupted legions.

TL;DR
  • Kill a boss, get its augment (special power).
  • Play Spider-Man with your grappling hook.
  • One-up Duke Nukem with your chainsaw kick.
  • Kills = cash. Use cash to install augments, upgrade your weapons, and add new abilities in your talent tree.
  • Be a ghost runner while wall running.
  • Attack from above riding the hood of your flying car like a kung-furious badass.
  • Mini-rockets built into your robotic arm? Check.
  • This. List. Will. Grow. Wishlist the game to see it happen.
Don’t Quote Us on Nuthin’

“Turbo Overkill is fast, frenetic and ferocious—excess personified,: said Sam Prebble, one half of Trigger Happy Interactive. “This is the game we’ve always wanted to play; making it is a dream project. Relentless enemies, extremely deadly and fun weapons, speed, and precision above all else—if you love Quake III Arena, modern and classic DOOM, or Apogee’s legendary first-person shooters, you’ll feel right at home in Paradise.”

“As the guy who helped launch the shooter genre with Wolfenstein 3D, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, Max Payne, and Prey, I haven’t been this excited about a first-person shooter since the golden era of Apogee / 3D Realms,” wrote Scott Miller, founder. “Turbo Overkill is a sandbox of fun and original gameplay ideas that come together like a night of melty hot pizza and your favorite cold, frothy brew. Playing this game made me a Turbo Lover all over again.”

Last edited:
I wonder if he is supposed to be the same Johnny Turbo as the mascot?

Some thoughts:
  1. Describing it as "savage" feels like intentionally gunning for some free viral marketing from the trigger-happy language police.
  2. The namedrops are cool but a few of the mechanics seem like they came from Titanfall (grappling hook, wallrun, sliding and the lock-on instagib magnums which are basically the Smart Pistol remixed).
  3. Currently not feeling the look of blocky textures mixed in with smoother ones.
  4. While I like the idea of a chainsaw leg cause it's like a Doom and Duke Nukem hybrid, I'm hoping they'll rip off Lawbreakers' laser boots and also add stuff like letting you fire your weapons while boosting away:
  5. Obligatory track

Edit: Accidental premature post.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
By "savage" I thought they were going to do some really controversial shit, like have a "male" / "female" character option.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Love Apogee! Love that they're "back". Love that #80s retro logo they have. Love everything about this so far!

tumblr_inline_o3oojkOtNO1rb46fs_500.gifv

VN1X

Banned
Did they show this off during Realms Deep?

It would be hilarious if they didn't as this looks genuinely awesome and Realms Deep 2021 was kind of a shitshow with tons of low effort, low budget 'retro' cash grabs.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Turbo Overkill heads to Steam Early Access for PC on April 22, 2022. Check out the latest trailer for the upcoming cyberpunk FPS game. The 1.0 release and versions for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One will be available at a later date in 2022.

The first episode will feature the first eight stages of the game, secret arenas, difficulty modifiers, and more.

In Turbo Overkill, Johnny Turbo finds his crime-ridden hometown overrun by the biggest threat of all: a rogue AI named Syn, whose malicious code has thousands of augmented humans in its thrall. Guns won't be enough-Johnny needs augments of his own, like a chainsaw leg made for stylish evisceration, to stand a chance.

Gameplay looks fucking RAD!!!

That said, the weird juxtaposition of super high fidelity textures and lighting on certain objects, with the retro lo-fi "Quake" graphics elsewhere is super jarring. Either go all retro or all high fidelity. The mix of the two just seems so odd and distracting.

Kadve

Each to his own but Mid 90s 3d just don't look good to me outside of nostalgia. Especially not in throwback form where it just becomes cheap looking.

Last edited:

Shifty

I dunno, the action looks tight, but the ironic neon vaporwave 80s aesthetic is wearing a bit thin for me at this point.

Describing it as "savage" feels like intentionally gunning for some free viral marketing from the trigger-happy language police.
Why is "savage" terminology-non-grata now? Excuse the ignorance, I've been under a rock for a while.

Notabueno

Banned
It looks like crap, and by that in no way do I mean the graphics, but the art direction.

As someone mentioned, the "ironic neon vaporwave 80s aesthetic" was already a fucking couch potato loser things outside of the first vaporwave artist who simply confused 80s with early 90s aesthetics in a very cheap manner, but in 2022 what kind of completely cultureless, tasteless loser do you have to be to still use that aesthetic?

It looks like crap, and by that in no way do I mean the graphics, but the art direction.

As someone mentioned, the "ironic neon vaporwave 80s aesthetic" was already a fucking couch potato loser things outside of the first vaporwave artist who simply confused 80s with early 90s aesthetics in a very cheap manner, but in 2022 what kind of completely cultureless, tasteless loser do you have to be to still use that aesthetic?

As someone who grew up on cyberpunk and nes in the 80s...really tired of the 'didnt actually grow up in the 80s but it was all purple and neon lights oh im so ironic' look of every stupid game that does it.

The games and music had substance to them back then.....pay homage but for fuck sake....pay homage to the substance of it...but i guess thats hard when everythings a joke

Pakoe

Gold Member
Goddamnit, another early access. Was hoping the april release would be a full game.
Guess i'll wait.

Shifty

As someone who grew up on cyberpunk and nes in the 80s...really tired of the 'didnt actually grow up in the 80s but it was all purple and neon lights oh im so ironic' look of every stupid game that does it.

The games and music had substance to them back then.....pay homage but for fuck sake....pay homage to the substance of it...but i guess thats hard when everythings a joke
A thought that came to me earlier: That aesthetic was originally defined by album covers and other such art - abstract cases that don't necessarily relate directly to the underlying subject matter - but has now been co-opted into a full top-to-bottom style.

That idea isn't devoid of worth in it's own right; it was novel and entertaining when Kung Fury and Blood Dragon did it, but we're a decade down the line at this point, which I think accounts for some of the fatigue.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

0:00 Intro & Premise
05:54 Combat & Weapons
10:49 More Weapons
12:39 Augmentations & More Gameplay
16:28 Critiques & Suggestions
20:08 Closing Remarks
21:45 Amazingly Awesome Patrons

Last edited:
Top Bottom