• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Star Wars’ Editor Marcia Lucas Slams Kathleen Kennedy and J.J. Abrams: ‘They Don’t Have a Clue’

Lunarorbit

Zahn’s trilogy is the perfect sequel trilogy. It’s my canon. It introduced great new characters and ideas, did the OG characters justice, told a ripping yarn, and captured the essence of Star Wars. Why the fuck they didn’t adapt the Thrawn Trilogy is something that pisses me off still to this day.

Instead we got absolute drivel from Abrams and his merry band of morons, and whatever self indulgent crap Rian was trying to pass off as a Star Wars movie. Abrams has single-handedly ruined two great franchises, but the prick keeps floating up to the top. Grrr.

edit: just realised I already said the same shit, in this very thread a year ago 😅
I was pretty disappointed when the prequels came out and it was just Jango fetts everywhere. I always thought the clone wars was more like secret invasion from marvel and the jedi were the only ones who could tell who were clones so they were killed off. So kinda like Zahn.

Kathleen Kennedy needs to go. Filiono and Favreau surpassed her years ago. Her lack of direction and planning helped ruin the sequels. Now they've completely cheapened Star Wars, especially the films.

Ionian

Zahn’s trilogy is the perfect sequel trilogy. It’s my canon. It introduced great new characters and ideas, did the OG characters justice, told a ripping yarn, and captured the essence of Star Wars. Why the fuck they didn’t adapt the Thrawn Trilogy is something that pisses me off still to this day.

Instead we got absolute drivel from Abrams and his merry band of morons, and whatever self indulgent crap Rian was trying to pass off as a Star Wars movie. Abrams has single-handedly ruined two great franchises, but the prick keeps floating up to the top. Grrr.

edit: just realised I already said the same shit, in this very thread a year ago 😅

Agreed, how they never used those books seems moronic.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
60a2091811972205cc279b420ea7fdc8.gif

She's clearly got no idea what she's talking about, the sequels were masterpieces.

That looks like clown world supreme.

ManaByte

Gold Member

TheMan

Some of her complaints….
Leah’s out because carrie fisher died. Harrison is old as fuck and probably wanted out…he’d be out in a decase anyway. Luke…yeah that was dumb I’ll give her that. All told, I get her attachment to the OGs but must we keep them forever? At some point we have to move on.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, did you notice the delay from the Imperial guard when attack his saber? Shit choreography. That Imperial Guard also looked like he was a bumbling idiot after the two interactions. lol..... . .. .. .
Looks also a lot like stunt actors always waiting for the actors too… shitty scene…

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They hilariously scream into webcams in YouTube videos how they must bring back George Lucas to remake the sequel trilogy...when his outline was The Last Jedi...
Seems like one of many articles trying to justify how awesome TLJ was or deflect criticism by trying to attach Lucas to it and well forgetting that execution is a great deal in delivering this and details can make it or break it even though there may be surface level similarities (let alone how this was how VII started and how it was given space to develop instead of killing Luke off right away to try to remove a barrier to the new lead character… which has failed btw).

For the faults the prequel trilogy had, a coherent story arc was not one.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Seems like one of many articles trying to justify how awesome TLJ was or deflect criticism by trying to attach Lucas to it
No they actually released the concept art from Lucas’ version in books. That’s what it’s from and it’s true whether or not you want to accept it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No they actually released the concept art from Lucas’ version in books. That’s what it’s from and it’s true whether or not you want to accept it.
I am not saying it is not true, but if you think it would have come out like TLJ instead of sharing “some” beats in different ways… but no, concept art proves Lucas was doing a TLJ like effort. Luke would have almost certainly have had a proper arc, not being put down / demystified to make space for a new generation that has failed to generate anywhere near that impact.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I am not saying it is not true, but if you think it would have come out like TLJ instead of sharing “some” beats in different ways… but no, concept art proves Lucas was doing a TLJ like effort. Luke would have almost certainly have had a proper arc, not being put down / demystified to make space for a new generation that has failed to generate anywhere near that impact.
The books confirmed his outline for 7 was TLJ. When Abrams was hired, he threw that out to remake ANH.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The books confirmed his outline for 7 was TLJ. When Abrams was hired, he threw that out to remake ANH.
Even from the description posted the movie was really different (why he felt broken and the self reflection more than rejection of everything he believed in), if Luke had died would have been in the last episode. Outline means little… execution, details, and how it fits inside the trilogy means a lot more.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Even from the description posted the movie was really different (why he felt broken and the self reflection more than rejection of everything he believed in), if Luke had died would have been in the last episode. Outline means little… execution, details, and how it fits inside the trilogy means a lot more.

Luke died in Lucas' episode VIII.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Luke died in Lucas' episode VIII.

Oh whoa… two movies vs part of one. Again, final movie Vs excerpt and concept art of not a finished script… once more execution and detail matters, but we are moving forward. From angered defense to “Lucas too” ;).

Or5zg8p.png

… and well rumors and speculation (we do not have Lucas’s own work stating that) as we have “people defending TLJ trying to paint this as Lucas too” that are pushing this line.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
(we do not have Lucas’s own work stating that

Yes, we do. That's what the official books are drawing from. These are official releases, not gossip rags.

71YDXN5fZ9L.jpg

718gY6w6xRL.jpg

JJ took Lucas' outlines and threw it away to remake ANH. Lucas' original Episode VII was basically TLJ but with different character names, and The Jedi Killer (who became Kylo Ren) was seduced to the Dark Side by Darth Talon from the SW Legacy comics because Lucas had some kind of fetish for her (he also forced her into the cancelled Darth Maul game). Rey/Kira came from a snow planet in his Ep 7 instead of Not-Tatooine and the sunken Death Star wreckage and Palpatine used in TROS was a Lucas idea; although Kira was ALWAYS a nobody in Lucas' version. His point of his ST was that the family name was stronger than the bloodline, coming from his 20 years of raising three adopted kids. Kira was to become a Jedi in Lucas' version and take the Skywalker name, but she was never meant to be the daughter of anyone and just have a high midichorlian count. That too, Lucas' ST wasn't going to have any X-Wings, TIE Fighters, or nostalgia bait and be all about the midichorlians everyone hated from TPM.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The prequels were bad too because Lucas didn't have the talented people surrounding him in the first one to save the movies this time so I kind of disagree with the image but good God they're masterpieces compared to the cynical empty husk of a trilogy that is the new one.

I don't even remember it like a trilogy, the memorable things that happened are so few that it just feels like a single movie especially if you focus on the characters. What did Rey really do and how did she develop as a character? She went from being awesome and talented to being awesome and talented while jumping from one location to another to do stuff I can't remember or care about. Trilogy over, yay.
It had one key thing the sequels lack.

Amazing world building. The creativity in the worlds, tech, clothing, etc., shits all over the super serious drama in the ST, that is even devoid of a coherent story.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes, we do. That's what the official books are drawing from. These are official releases, not gossip rags.

71YDXN5fZ9L.jpg

718gY6w6xRL.jpg

JJ took Lucas' outlines and threw it away to remake ANH. Lucas' original Episode VII was basically TLJ but with different character names, and The Jedi Killer (who became Kylo Ren) was seduced to the Dark Side by Darth Talon from the SW Legacy comics because Lucas had some kind of fetish for her (he also forced her into the cancelled Darth Maul game). Rey/Kira came from a snow planet in his Ep 7 instead of Not-Tatooine and the sunken Death Star wreckage and Palpatine used in TROS was a Lucas idea; although Kira was ALWAYS a nobody in Lucas' version. His point of his ST was that the family name was stronger than the bloodline, coming from his 20 years of raising three adopted kids. Kira was to become a Jedi in Lucas' version and take the Skywalker name, but she was never meant to be the daughter of anyone and just have a high midichorlian count. That too, Lucas' ST wasn't going to have any X-Wings, TIE Fighters, or nostalgia bait and be all about the midichorlians everyone hated from TPM.
Again, we can stop talking past each other, TLJ taking some story beats and jamming them in a single movie (story beats or certain element != full movie script != letting it breath over a trilogy). We are at the “well from 10,000 miles those two painting look the same, they have similar colors right?”.
9tb5ON5.jpg

You keep saying TLJ was Lucas’s EPVII and conveniently side step aside you know on tiny fact that why and how Luke is there (and the relationship to this Jedi Killer Vs Kylo) was different and how he was not due to die until the next movie or the end of the saga (if at all, what has leaked has been contradicted and the people leaking and “revealing” things has a quite clear new trilogy protecting motive).

Last edited:
Top Bottom