• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Superman’ top contenders to replace Henry Cavill revealed

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nicolas Hoult, David Corenswet, Emma Mackey, and Rachel Brosnahan

Nicholas Hoult (from left), David Corenswet, Emma Mackey and Rachel Brosnahan are all in talks for roles in a new "Superman" movie.

It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s certainly not Henry Cavill.

The search is on for the new Superman in the DC movies that will be helmed by James Gunn, and the top choices have been revealed.

Among the names tossed around are Australian actor Jacob Elordi, 25, best known for “Euphoria” and “The Kissing Booth.”

Relative newcomer David Corenswet, 29, is also among the top contenders, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Corenswet is best known for “Hollywood” and “The Politician,” which are both Ryan Murphy Netflix series.

British actors Tom Brittney, 32 (“Grantchester”), and Andrew Richardson, 31 (“The Last O.G.”), were also reportedly being considered.

Cavill, 40, has played Superman since 2013’s “Man of Steel,” and reprised the role in 2016’s “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” and 2017’s “Justice League.”

In October, he announced that he would be donning the famous cape again.

“I wanted to make it official that I am back as Superman and the image you see on this post and what you saw in ‘Black Adam’ are just a very small taste of things to come,” he said on Instagram.

Henry Cavill smiling.

Henry Cavill announced his return to “Superman,” only to be fired and have to revoke it two months later.FilmMagic

Jacob Elordi smiling.

Jacob Elordi is one of the contenders to be a new Superman.Getty Images for Tiffany & Co.

David Corenswet smiling.
David Corenswet is another contender to be a new Superman.FilmMagic

However, in a bizarre and humiliating turn of events for him, that announcement was short-lived.

Just two months later in November, DC fired Cavill, and he had to post an awkward announcement revoking his previous announcement about returning.

To add insult to injury, he might have even left his Netflix franchise “The Witcher” to take on this role, only to get the carpet yanked out from under him. (Although, his exact reasons for ceding the role to Liam Hemsworth have not been specified.)

“I have just had a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran, and it’s sad news, everyone. I will, after all, not be returning as Superman,” the embattled former Superman posted in November.

“After being told by the studio to announce my return back in October, prior to their hire, this news isn’t the easiest, but that’s life,” Cavill added. “The changing of the guard is something that happens. I respect that. James and Peter have a universe to build. I wish them and all involved with the new universe the best of luck, and the happiest of fortunes.”

David Corenswet smiling.

David Corenswet, one of the contenders for the new Superman.Getty Images

Other iconic “Superman” roles are also in talks for the new movie, such as Clark Kent’s reporter love interest, Lois Lane.

“Sex Education” star Emma Mackey, 27, is reportedly being considered, as is “Bridgerton” star Phoebe Dynevor, 28, and “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” star Rachel Brosnahan, 32.

However, Brosnahan might be too old for Gunn’s vision about focusing on 20-something characters.

Emma Mackey smiling.

Emma Mackey is in talks as a potential Lois Lane.Corbis via Getty Images

Rachel Brosnahan smiling.

Rachel Brosnahan is also one of the contenders to be Lois Lane.Getty Images

Nicholas Hoult smiling.
Nicholas Hoult is said to be the top choice for the iconic villain, Lex Luthor.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Stop with the pessimistic views when you haven't seen anything other than the casting choices. You were probably one of those people bitching about Robert Pattinson as Batman, but we all know how that turned out don't we eh?
First, how about no. Second, if you search my posts in those announcement threads, that was not the case. I even supported why it would work in the depressed mental state and him snapping.

Third, he turned out to be an emo the entire dragged on snooze fest of a film.
GIF by Polyvinyl Records

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
By the time this movie comes along the ass will have probably fallen out of the superhero genre completely, so none of this will matter.

The Euphoria guy is one of the few guys who looks as good as Henry Cavil. That picture in the OP doesnt do him justice.
GAF is just following the Superman casting cycle: complain about every new casting choice until the movie ends up great enough to shut down the complaints.

People either have extreme short term memory, or they’re not going to admit that they didn’t want Cavill when he was first announced after we just had Superman Returns with Brandon Routh. The opinions even doubled down when it turned out that Cavill’s Superman was going to be more grimdark, and they just wanted more traditional Superman. When the movie was good enough, the complaints stopped.

Now we’re about to get an all-star Superman and people want Cavill’s Superman back.

4AYt.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GAF is just following the Superman casting cycle: complain about every new casting choice until the movie ends up great enough to shut down the complaints.

People either have extreme short term memory, or they’re not going to admit that they didn’t want Cavill when he was first announced after we just had Superman Returns with Brandon Routh. The opinions even doubled down when it turned out that Cavill’s Superman was going to be more grimdark, and they just wanted more traditional Superman. When the movie was good enough, the complaints stopped.

Now we’re about to get an all-star Superman and people want Cavill’s Superman back.

4AYt.gif
lol i remember that. This was the first pic they released of him and the internet was on fire saying he looks more like a villain than a hero. Turns out the guy was the perfect superman and the picture was just an odd one. Kinda like the sad batman meme pic and Affleck turned out to be the best part of BvS.

Close-up-of-Henry-Cavill-as-Superman-in-The-Man-of-Steel.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The potential casting choices all look fine to me. Clark is supposed to be a big softie boy scout. Thats the whole dynamic to his character: immense godlike power wielded by someone compassionate & empathetic. He’s in salaryman mode way more often than mountain man mode.

If you wanna talk bad DC casting lets talk about Gal or Ezra. Gal Gadot has zero ass.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I thought all those people in the OP were up for the role of SUPERMAN and nearly lost it. HOULT for Luthor would be fantastic; anything to get away from the twitchy tech-dweeb MOS version (which isn't bad and probably would have worked a LOT better in an actual comic, but not for your marquee media properties).

. . .also SUPERMAN isn't fucking JAMES BOND. Any white dude who can rock abs and a cowlick will do.

Doom85

Hey, I actually know David Corenswet, he played the projectionist (that Pearl is attracted to) in last year’s movie Pearl (which was the prequel to X which came out earlier in the year). He was really good in that.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They should just go insane with this new version of Superman.

Cast somebody completely unexpected, like Anthony Hopkins, Jonah Hill or Macaulay Culkin.

Change the tone as well. Make it an adult comedy. You know people have always wondered if Superman shoots his gun at supersonic speed while busting a nut. Make this comic strip live action! It would make billions!

MiVOw6V.jpg

MDSLKTR

Nicholas Hoult, who would want this ugly weirdo being superman.
He's balding so he would be a good Luthor at least.
Not sure about the euphoria guy, would make an ok batman but tbh I'd be ok if I don't see the cast of that toxic dump show no more.

At this point I’m interested to see how they play Lex Luthor. Is he going to be more like the animated version or maybe a less spastic version from Batman vs Superman?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
lol i remember that. This was the first pic they released of him and the internet was on fire saying he looks more like a villain than a hero. Turns out the guy was the perfect superman and the picture was just an odd one. Kinda like the sad batman meme pic and Affleck turned out to be the best part of BvS.

Close-up-of-Henry-Cavill-as-Superman-in-The-Man-of-Steel.jpg
I thought he looked bas ass as soon as I saw this.

A thoroughly enjoyed Man of Steel as well. A tired and almost fed up Supes fit him perfectly.

Then again, I am more of the mindset of what would superman really be if he came to earth as a young boy on the cusp of the hormonal warzone of puberty, and that was Brightburn.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I feel like Superman is one of those roles that works best when it’s someone that’s relatively unknown.

As for Lex, if you want to consider people Gunn has already worked with then Dave Bautista could be an interesting choice for the angle of Lex being a guy who has tried to push himself to be the peak of human capability.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I feel like Superman is one of those roles that works best when it’s someone that’s relatively unknown.

As for Lex, if you want to consider people Gunn has already worked with then Dave Bautista could be an interesting choice for the angle of Lex being a guy who has tried to push himself to be the peak of human capability.
I get the vibe you are going for but Bautista would just stumble over technical jargon. He can do emotion and pathos, "Knock on the cabin door" proved that, but from a theatrical perspective it just doesn't work well.

No point making Lex physically imposing IMHO, he can't match supes anyway. He NEEDS the power suit.

Supes though, MUST be a physically imposing guy with a classic build. He doesn't need to be shredded, but he does need to be big.

DKehoe

I get the vibe you are going for but Bautista would just stumble over technical jargon. He can do emotion and pathos, "Knock on the cabin door" proved that, but from a theatrical perspective it just doesn't work well.

No point making Lex physically imposing IMHO, he can't match supes anyway. He NEEDS the power suit.

Supes though, MUST be a physically imposing guy with a classic build. He doesn't need to be shredded, but he does need to be big.
Lex not being able to match Superman physically is kind of the point though. Lex is this guy who has pushed himself to his absolute peak and then this guy comes along who completely surpasses him and does so with an outlook on life that's the total opposite of his own. It's part of what drives Lex nuts about him. I get that there's loads of interpretations of Lex and I'm not saying that's the definitive one but I think it's an interesting one to explore.

But yeh, Clark should be a big cornfed farmboy.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What about that Jack Reacher guy? He's swole af. He's 40 though or close to it.
Same age range as Cavill. They "want younger" because these damned studios keep rebooting their trainwrecks every decade. It's so boring.

I would love a more older grizzled Superman dealing with years of baggage, not stuck in the perpetual just out of teenhood era of endless reboots told 30 different ways of the same thing in the end.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
That David guy has a good look for a superman. Just needs to beef up a bit. The other guy looks like the definition of a douche.

I might be the only person that doesn’t care for Henry. Seems like the coolest dude but just comes off so bland in most of the things I’ve seen him in.

Top Bottom