• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Batman’ Sequel Set With Robert Pattinson and Director Matt Reeves (No Catwoman Derails)

ManaByte

Warner Bros. and DC announced Tuesday night at CinemaCon that The Batman is officially getting a sequel, as Warner Bros. delivered the studio’s highly anticipated presentation.

Matt Reeves, Rob Pattinson and the entire team will be taking audiences back to Gotham with The Batman 2,” said Warner Bros. movie chief Toby Emmerich at CinemaCon.

Matt Reeves said recently he’d be interested in Mr. Freeze and with how the first movie ended, that would be a perfect fit.

FunkMiller

Happy Whoop Whoop GIF by Verohallinto

Excellent. More Batman the better. Fingers crossed for Court Of Owls.

Doom85

…it’s BATMAN

But that was the only poorly written aspect in one moment.

As the Pitch Meeting video said, “in this movie, Bruce Is going to have dark eyeliner and hair in front of his face and say stuff like, ‘you’re not my dad!” like it’s 2006 or something.”

I will admit Pattinson was better as Batman, but I still think Bale captured Bruce better. But it has been only one movie so there’s time for them to fix Pattinson’s Bruce.

So, they actually might be going that supernatural so soon. Well, this at least gives me hope that Clayface might actually get a movie afterwards.

But that was the only poorly written aspect in one moment.

As the Pitch Meeting video said, “in this movie, Bruce Is going to have dark eyeliner and hair in front of his face and say stuff like, ‘you’re not my dad!” like it’s 2006 or something.”
He was also scared to take flight from a rooftop, needed help from Gordon chasing down a killer, caused a traffic incident, couldn't save a guy who blew up, messed up the first time when thoroughly searching Riddler's apartment, messed up in a fight against Riddler's goons, and at the very end of the movie he realized he should be a symbol of hope. He is simply a different type of rookie batman than Bale's. If anything, Bale's year one batman was written a bit too clean and perfect in the first movie after he finally created his bat-suit and then switfly took down one of the biggest villains ever, Ra's al ghul, like he was a B-lister. They then course corrected way too strongly in the second and (especially)third film, making Bane of all people look like a better Joker than Joker. From thinking about it and after watching the latest movie again recently, I'm simply done with comparing the two batmen. They are too different and neither are perfect.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
They should do a Knightfall movie Jean-Paul Valley was Batman when I started reading comics as a kid so awesome

Little Mac

Can we get more of the lurk in the shadows boogie man of Gotham's crime underworld and less of the everyone watch me as I help the EMTs get this stretcher back into the ambulance? If I watch him walk casually into another crowded room again ...

Intimidating Season 4 GIF by The Office

Last edited:
Court of Owls would fit, considering the corruption they covered in The Batman. Mr. Freeze would be neat, considering the state of Gotham, but how do you make that grounded?

Maybe throw Deathstroke in there as well?

Last edited:

plushyp

I said this before but please more focus on Batman/Bruce-Alfred relationship and if it means less/no romance subplot then I'm more than happy. But if it must be done then make Reeves watch Mask of the Phantasm because that is the only Batman film to have done romance properly. Also Mads Mikkelsen as Mister Freeze/any villain.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Reeves seems to be a big fan of the 90's and early 2000's raging, distrustful, and mistake-prone Batman. Which happens to be my favorite. I can't wait to see where he goes next in this version of Gotham.

Konnor

…it’s BATMAN

It's Batman, not some crybaby still whining about the death of his parents. I get that the event shaped who he is but that way too emo even for Batman, not to mention Bruce Wayne.

Btw this is the only review so far I've agreed with about the movie, imo it was thoroughly mediocre and kind of pointless, if anyone is interested in a different perspective I suggest checking it out:

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Reeves needs to get on the multiverse wagon, and have Keaton, Bale, Affleck, and Pattinson team up to do someshit, like preventing the Clooney and Kilmer movies from being made.

Last edited:

iorek21

I think they’re going to put Catwoman to rest and use Poison Ivy as the new female companion/romantic interest. At least I hope so, getting tired of Catwoman after TDKR and The Batman.

As for the main villain, Mr. Freeze would be dope.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
What's the title mean about Catwoman? I thought she did fine, and she's also fine.

Her character wasn't really important. It's not a huge branch away from what the source inspiration of this film was - but I think many people felt that a lot of screen time was wasted on a character who literally added nothing to advance the plot. In fact, the one time she was set to do that (infiltrating the club) she kind of messed it up.

Big oof.

Also, not acted phenomenally well or at least to the level of those around her. That is an opinion of course.

I mean, the issue with Catwoman is that it doesn't really matter. It could have been anyone there that the outcome of her plot would have been the same.

In case I wasn't clear enough in my interpretation, basically this ^

She was the best part of the movie.

I am not sure how that could be the general takeaway for most, though everything in art is subjective so you certainly shouldn't be called wrong for your opinion.

In my opinion, her character was just... there. There... way too much for someone who if you removed 80% of her screen time, nothing changes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mr. Freeze doesn't need to have a literal freeze ray gun. He could be a serial killer who freezes bodies. Its like folks think Poison Ivy needs to literally control plants, when a grounded take could merely have her be an environmentalist who seduces men & poisons her enemies. As for the film overall it could have a snow aesthetic similar to Batman Returns. Combined with the flooding effect on the infrastructure it could result in a visually striking Gotham.

I'm sure whatever they decide on will be cool, no pun intended.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
They would have been stupid not to go ahead and lock in sequels / a future for Reeves and Pattinson's Batman.

People have been much more receptive of Pattinson as Batman than they were of Affleck. People seem to be happier, though to varying degrees, with Reeves' direction of the character and story than of the attempted universe with Snyder and co. I know I sure am, and I typically like Snyder - but whatever DC was attempting after Nolan's trilogy wasn't what was desired ... by most anybody.

That all being said, The Batman wasn't a perfect film by any means. Though I won't be edgy enough to say I disliked it - on the contrary I actually quite enjoyed it, there are still some shortcomings. Reeves isn't some genius film maker. His story has a lot of inconsistency or almost plot hole-ish musings. There isn't enough subtlety in his story and he basically got most of the story from 2 Batman sources and scrambled them together into what we saw.

But I think for the first time since TDKR there is some hype for Batman films. This was an obvious green light, and hopefully a sign of deep continuation for this universe with story and characters we haven't seem too much prior. I for one am excited.

Is anyone else not a big fan of the popped collar on the batsuit? For some reason I just don't like it.
I like it, mainly because we're getting closer and closer to a batsuit design where the actor can finally move his neck. The batsuit design for movies has been way too stiff ever since the Burton films.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Well there massive room for improvement.
I thought Pattinson was fine as Batman no complaints there and Jeffrey Wright was a good Gordon.
But mostly.
Bored Christopher Walken GIF

Yeah I felt the same; I'm not some "anti-gritty" movie guy either... I like grittiness.. brooding, whatever.. if done well.

If not done well it can come across overly serious and kind of corny.. and for much of The Batman, that's how the movie felt for me.

Yoboman

It's Batman, not some crybaby still whining about the death of his parents. I get that the event shaped who he is but that way too emo even for Batman, not to mention Bruce Wayne.

Btw this is the only review so far I've agreed with about the movie, imo it was thoroughly mediocre and kind of pointless, if anyone is interested in a different perspective I suggest checking it out:

Why does every Batman need to be the same?

Fbh

I'm fine with another Pattinson Batman movie with Reeves directing.
But maybe Reeves should stick to directing and they can bring on some better writers for the sequel. If they keep the detective angle maybe add someone with more experience writing detective stories

Top Bottom