• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Flash’ to End With Season 9 on The CW

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The last remaining OG of the Arrowverse is saying goodbye. “The Flash” will end on The CW with its ninth season.

The series goes back into production next month, and will put out 13 episodes for its final run.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I used to enjoy that show, but I stopped paying for access to channels/services that had it. Last time I checked a Wiki/YouTube to see what I missed, I saw a whole team of flashes and it seemed like it had jumped the shark. It ending makes sense from that alone, they told all the speedster stories they needed to tell before now, when I already thought it ended.

If anyone wants to give me a brief recap of the major series/season plot points for the last few years, go ahead

Last edited:

Fbh

Is Barry still in it or has Iris completely taken over?

EERItl_XkAAPWqB.jpg

I always used to laugh at the term "Arrowverse" and still do to this day. They actually choose a rather obscure superhero for the name of their universe. Maybe it's because I never got into the Arrow television show, but still, "Arrowverse" :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
First few seasons were decent when it was more about Barry Allan, then when the other goofballs come in and Iris started acting more and more like an entitled cunt it went downhill. Iv watched upto series 6, did series 7 or 8 do anything to get back on track or isit more soyness ?

Little Mac

Gold Member
I fell off the entire CW superhero universe like 6 or 7 years ago. First few seasons of Arrow and the Flash were cool then it got stupid when the supporting cast became more and more prominent in the stories. Like no gives a shit about Felicity ... why am I listening to her complain for 45 mins about Oliver Queen being the Arrow? ... Oliver doing Arrow shit is the reason why I'm watching this shit in the first place. When Raj Al Ghoul beats him in a duel and tosses him off the mountain ... that was badass and sadly the peak of the Arrow show ... I know this thread is about the Flash but history repeated itself. From what I could remember, the show became more and more about #TeamFlash and less about the Flash stopping villains.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I actually enjoyed the first 2-3 seasons. At the time it was better than most superhero stuff. But I haven't watched the show in 6 years.

ShadowNate

Their big crossover episodes were kind of fun. Are they still doing those? Do characters from Arrow or Legends still come back for those even though those series ended/got cancelled?

I gave up on watching full Flash seasons around the fourth one I think. I was already "watching" it while doing other stuff and it was getting repetitive and too ridiculous for my taste.

I also did not like the first episodes of Superman and Lois -- no idea if that's worth watching now.

It's even funnier when you realize that when Arrow launched they were desperately grasping at the Nolan tit and had a "no metahumans" rule for the show.
It worked 🤷🏻‍♂️

Season 1 is among the best that show had because of how grounded it stayed and the small budget complimented it amazingly.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Their big crossover episodes were kind of fun. Are they still doing those? Do characters from Arrow or Legends still come back for those even though those series ended/got cancelled?

The last one I watched was Crisis, which was actually good. They bought back Brandon Routh as Kingdom Come Superman, Oliver Queen returned as the Spectre, Tom Welling was back as an old fat Clark Kent who wasn't Superman.

Crisis_On_Infinite_Earths_Poster.jpg

Soodanim

Gold Member
I fell off the entire CW superhero universe like 6 or 7 years ago. First few seasons of Arrow and the Flash were cool then it got stupid when the supporting cast became more and more prominent in the stories. Like no gives a shit about Felicity ... why am I listening to her complain for 45 mins about Oliver Queen being the Arrow? ... Oliver doing Arrow shit is the reason why I'm watching this shit in the first place. When Raj Al Ghoul beats him in a duel and tosses him off the mountain ... that was badass and sadly the peak of the Arrow show ... I know this thread is about the Flash but history repeated itself. From what I could remember, the show became more and more about #TeamFlash and less about the Flash stopping villains.

I used to love Arrow. Great show. But it was one of if not the first show I ever dropped mid run after watching for years, because it got so boring. So much inter-group drama. Wah wah we're a team. Wah wah wah you don't trust us we're leaving. Wah wah I'm better solo. Wah wah wah I need help, please come back.

That was a different Arrow. Different Earth. They went to the Smallville Earth during Crisis.
Related side note: Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum (Clark and Lex) have started a Smallville rewatch podcast called Talk Ville. They've already winced at a line to Chloe where Clark says "I'm joining the football team, not a cult", which is great because Chloe's actress actually joined a cult during her time on the show and I think she's in prison now.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The CW stuff in the beginning was actually fantastic. Especially with Arrow. That motherfucker they got to play Ra's is still my all time favorite Ra's al Ghul castings. Nothing over the top. Nothing weird. No bizarre costumes or weird facial hair. No accents trying to put him into a certain hole.

Just menacing and experienced.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The whole Arrowverse took a nosedive in 2016.
Arrow & The Flash was actually good to begin with and then....well the whole world went 🤡

Edit: apparently I heard that the Smallville in the Arrowverse isn't the same one as the Smallville show and the new Cartoon series with the original characters doing the voices will be canon.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Related side note: Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum (Clark and Lex) have started a Smallville rewatch podcast called Talk Ville. They've already winced at a line to Chloe where Clark says "I'm joining the football team, not a cult", which is great because Chloe's actress actually joined a cult during her time on the show and I think she's in prison now.
That actually sounds really cool. But damn, that's a LOT of episodes! 22+/season x 10 seasons, right? Wonder if they will get some guests, seems like podcasting is quickly supplanting everything but youtubing/tiktoking so more power to them if they can monetize it in some way.

The whole Arrowverse took a nosedive in 2016.
Arrow & The Flash was actually good to begin with and then....
...and then their best writers were moved around too much and CW stupidly tried to have their whole team of writers handle 5 different shows with 12-24 episode seasons(Arrow, Flash, Legends, Supergirl, and Black Lightning) all releasing around the same time for crossovers. The best writers being moved around was the biggest issue because you'd randomly have a season of one of the 5 shows that would suddenly skyrocket in writing quality and then immediately dip the next season.

Supergirl Season 4(The Lex Luthor season) was direct proof of this. Season 4 was written almost as great as a season of the 90s Justice League Cartoon show, with a great ending and epilogue and it's one of the best seasons CW ever managed to put out during Arrowverse run, along with Arrow Seasons 1 and 2, Black Lightning Season 2, Flash Season 1, and Arrow Season 5(Prometheus season). It was especially jarring for Supergirl because the quality of that show's writing was in the gutter since season 1, and then suddenly became good in season 4, then it quickly fell right back into that gutter a few episodes into season 5. It was almost like the writers were saying 'look how good we could make things if we had less episodes and more resources/time'.

Soodanim

Gold Member
...and then their best writers were moved around too much and CW stupidly tried to have their whole team of writers handle 5 different shows with 12-24 episode seasons(Arrow, Flash, Legends, Supergirl, and Black Lightning) all releasing around the same time for crossovers. The best writers being moved around was the biggest issue because you'd randomly have a season of one of the 5 shows that would suddenly skyrocket in writing quality and then immediately dip the next season.

Supergirl Season 4(The Lex Luthor season) was direct proof of this. Season 4 was written almost as great as a season of the 90s Justice League Cartoon show, with a great ending and epilogue and it's one of the best seasons CW ever managed to put out during Arrowverse run, along with Arrow Seasons 1 and 2, Black Lightning Season 2, Flash Season 1, and Arrow Season 5(Prometheus season). It was especially jarring for Supergirl because the quality of that show's writing was in the gutter since season 1, and then suddenly became good in season 4, then it quickly fell right back into that gutter a few episodes into season 5. It was almost like the writers were saying 'look how good we could make things if we had less episodes and more resources/time'.
That's annoying, I watched 1-3 of Supergirl and I never had the opportunity to watch 4. I want to, because of the actor.

I was going to ask if Black Lightning was any good, I never touched it so I've only seen him in a crossover. I guess season 1 wasn't too strong.

That's annoying, I watched 1-3 of Supergirl and I never had the opportunity to watch 4. I want to, because of the actor.

I was going to ask if Black Lightning was any good, I never touched it so I've only seen him in a crossover. I guess season 1 wasn't too strong.
Season 1 wasn't exactly bad, but it wasn't good enough either. It was just okay. Season 1 felt like they were trying to emulate Static Shock to a certain degree and make it feel lighthearted like The Flash, and it had a level of cheese that didn't quite fit with the mostly serious tone it was going for.

Season 2 felt like they really hit a stride with all of the characters they established with Season 1, and then they found their own style to separate themselves from Arrowverse on top of that. They also greatly improved the tone, music, and fight scenes:

Obviously these are not daredevil level fights but the fact that they even attempted to go for something of that grounded nature shows their growth and passion for Season 2. Season 3 was alright enough and Season 4 was just ok/acceptable, but the problem was that they were mostly carried by Painkiller's actor and his tortured character arc:

The fans liked this new Mind Controlled/Trained Assassin Painkiller so much that he ended up becoming the green ranger of the show...that star cameo that show up once every few episodes and would make people tune in for a really cool action scene, but then the rest of the episodes weren't as good. The better option should have been to ensure that the rest of the episodes were written really well and he simply should have added onto that.

Season 4 of Supergirl is upsetting because it shows that if they put in the best writers on the show and put in the effort, they could have made something great with the entire show, since there's so was so much there especially when it came to Lex Luthor and Sam Witwer does a fantastic job as Agent Liberty.

TGO

Supergirl....I kinda hit the eject button with Season 3.
Which was roughly round the time the others went downhill.
The best thing that came out of Supergirl was this little gem of a quote from Cat Grant
All four of you standing there, doing nothing, you look like the attractive yet nonthreatening racially diverse cast of a CW show.

Supergirl....I kinda hit the eject button with Season 3.
Which was roughly round the time the others went downhill.
The best thing that came out of Supergirl was this little gem of a quote from Cat Grant
A lot of people did and I don't blame them for it. There were some good season 4 moments:

However, the best thing about season 4 is simply how
Lex Luther set things up behind the scenes perfectly to cause a rift in the public's trust of Supergirl/Aliens by using Agent Liberty as a charismatic politician fall guy, end up in the oval office, and in the end he completely broke the alliance of Kara and Lena(which was necessary for alien support) which led Lena to eventually follow in his footsteps to not trust aliens on earth.

There's more to it but after that what did they do in season 5? Knocked down that plot's foundation and then instead use Supergirl, Arrow, and Flash's shows during that time to springboard the plot for 'Crisis on Infinite Earths'. The greatest crossover they had(Just to give Arrow a nice sendoff) ruined two out of three of their shows' refreshed momentum 🤷‍♂️

TGO

A lot of people did and I don't blame them for it. There were some good season 4 moments:

However, the best thing about season 4 is simply how
Lex Luther set things up behind the scenes perfectly to cause a rift in the public's trust of Supergirl/Aliens by using Agent Liberty as a charismatic politician fall guy, end up in the oval office, and in the end he completely broke the alliance of Kara and Lena(which was necessary for alien support) which led Lena to eventually follow in his footsteps to not trust aliens on earth.

There's more to it but after that what did they do in season 5? Knocked down that plot's foundation and then instead use Supergirl, Arrow, and Flash's shows during that time to springboard the plot for 'Crisis on Infinite Earths'. The greatest crossover they had(Just to give Arrow a nice sendoff) ruined two out of three of their shows' refreshed momentum 🤷‍♂️

Jon Cryer is such an underrated actor.
I never actually got to see him as Lex sadly.

Top Bottom