• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Last of Us’ Season 1 Finale Scores 8.2 Million Viewers, Reaching Series High

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well deserved. better than the game from a story perspective, imho. Druckman should become a TV guy and just focus on that from now on and let someone else handle ND’s games

Absolutely NOT!!!! This show literally proves the opposite. He should be viewed and handled the same way Kojima is viewed. He should be able to do anything he wants literally! Both the video games and TV show now prove this. Doing or saying anything else is just hate at this point.

Absolutely NOT!!!! This show literally proves the opposite. He should be viewed and handled the same way Kojima is viewed. He should be able to do anything he wants literally! Both the video games and TV show now prove this. Doing or saying anything else is just hate at this point.

He's better at story than he is at gameplay/design.

Let him write the overarching narrative or whatever, but have someone else heavily revamp the title's mechanics. Needs a reinvisioning like GOW2018 to not be stale

mckmas8808

Aside from rainbow colored happy story for Bill, there wasn't much "woke" crap in the show, same as the game, tho Bill in the game is a real complex character, something you don't see in the show

Now, Ellie being a minor and the makers obsessing over her sexuality is ehh, I guess it's an American thing, so I'll reserve my thoughts on that to avoid repercussions, but it's also faithful to the game, so it wasn't changed at the last minute for clout, like most shows do this day 🤷‍♂️

Bill was actually more complex in the TV show than the game honestly. And they didn't obess over her sexuality, we just saw her in her real element. She happened to be a lesbian. But it was done in the most natural and cute way possible.

EN250

Bill was actually more complex in the TV show than the game honestly. And they didn't obess over her sexuality, we just saw her in her real element. She happened to be a lesbian. But it was done in the most natural and cute way possible.

How was he complex when everything in the episode is landed perfectly for him till he decides to end it next to his partner after decades of living the best way he could have ever dreamed? in the game Bill finds a partner to live with, but he's still a douchebag that never had hope or cared about anyone else, that's why Frank leaves him, because Bill was unable to change, so he doesn't get a to live a meaninful life, only to survive in any possible way and nothing else

Last edited:
The people who focused on Bella Ramsey's looks and claimed she wasn't right for the show, reading these numbers right now like

damn-doc-rivers.gif
I am one of those people - believe it or not, I refuse to watch it because of Bella Ramsay alone. It's just a spit to the face to the fans. Her derpy face just doesn't fit the character, it's ridiculous whoever greenlit that. I don't care how good of an actor you are if you don't resemble a character I am connected with. Pedro I can give a pass too. Great for them that they have success, but I won't be watching it. The game is better anyway and is the real deal with the real original actors and characters. Nothing will ever replace that.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

How was he complex when everything in the episode is landed perfectly for him till he decides to end it next to his partner after decades of living the best way he could have ever dreamed? in the game Bill finds a partner to live with, but he's still a douchebag that never had hope or cared about anyone else, that's why Frank leaves him, because Bill was unable to change, so he doesn't get a to live a meaninful life, only to survive in any possible way and nothing else

The fact that he never changed in the game is what made him less complex to me. It takes a lot to change a person the way Bill was changed in the TV show. And it didn't happen overnight. It took years for that change to happen. The evolution of the Bill character in the show was slow yet steady. Each step needed it's on justification. And it didn't land perfectly for him. He just made the best of his situation.

Plus he didn't have to end it with his partner. He chose to. And that alone makes him more complex, even if we don't count all the other stuff. Most of our grandparents didn't want to kill themselves after their mate died. But Bill's reason made sense and was very interesting and thoughtful as an audience member watching it.

mckmas8808

I am one of those people - believe it or not, I refuse to watch it because of Bella Ramsay alone. It's just a spit to the face to the fans. Her derpy face just doesn't fit the character, it's ridiculous whoever greenlit that. I don't care how good of an actor you are if you don't resemble a character I am connected with. Pedtro I can give a pass too. Great for them that they have success, but I won't be watching it. The game is better anyway and is the real deal with the real original actors and characters. Nothing will ever replace that.

She was the best Ellie anyone could imagine. And I was skeptical myself before seeing her performance. The voice, mannerisms, etc were perfect.

He's better at story than he is at gameplay/design.

Let him write the overarching narrative or whatever, but have someone else heavily revamp the title's mechanics. Needs a reinvisioning like GOW2018 to not be stale
This is such a bad take. Saying Naughty Dogg needs to change the gameplay mechanics or revamp the franchise after only 2 games is very odd. Theres still more room for growth and potential, with evidence such as the online multiplayer they created 10 years ago already having Battle Royal elements still in use today.

I beg to differ. If there is one aspect of TLOU Part II that is almost unanimously admired, it is the one you seem to brand as "inadequate". But that's just me...

This is such a bad take. Saying Naughty Dogg needs to change the gameplay mechanics or revamp the franchise after only 2 games is very odd. Theres still more room for growth and potential, with evidence such as the online multiplayer they created 10 years ago already having Battle Royal elements still in use today.

You're misunderstanding me. The shooting mechanics, weapon upgrades, AI -- that's all good. Keep going with that and improving it.

But the core game structure is so basic, outdated, and a linear walk and talk slog that it really detriments from the game and feels like something from the PS3 era. The series has the potential to be so much more compelling. Why not have a wide linear approach like GoW, with a survival "hub" base that you can develop with extra world building mechanics and then you can explore various areas that branch into the hub? Why not implement some really cool "horde" type mechanics from Days Gone that you can tackle as part of main missions or side missions? Why not develop really cool and unique bosses above and beyond just Rat King and bloaters? We need MORE of that which makes the game more diverse and fun to play.

You're misunderstanding me. The shooting mechanics, weapon upgrades, AI -- that's all good. Keep going with that and improving it.

But the core game structure is so basic, outdated, and a linear walk and talk slog that it really detriments from the game and feels like something from the PS3 era. The series has the potential to be so much more compelling. Why not have a wide linear approach like GoW, with a survival "hub" base that you can develop with extra world building mechanics and then you can explore various areas that branch into the hub? Why not implement some really cool "horde" type mechanics from Days Gone that you can tackle as part of main missions or side missions? Why not develop really cool and unique bosses above and beyond just Rat King and bloaters? We need MORE of that which makes the game more diverse and fun to play.
All of this has me suspecting that that's what a Factions will ne. TLOU MP or Solo universe with its own world and events.

Last edited:
Well deserved. better than the game from a story perspective, imho. Druckman should become a TV guy and just focus on that from now on and let someone else handle ND’s games
Yeah I think Sony would pretty much prefer him create bangers in video games that they can then license to TV show hungry streamers. They want to make games that sell multiple millions so then they can show that interest is there. Get a huge budget, the then further pushes more sales of their games upon release.

Amazon and Netflix probably think they have similar bangers and will try to outdo TLOU.

Sony has been looking for IP like this for decades. Tristar Pictures Producers licking their lips right now.

Darko

just watched all the episodes … I got farther in the show than the game lol… hope they make a 3rd game :)

Stooky

The environments are visually nice, but completely shallow and devoid of anything interesting that impacts the gameplay.

The only thing you can do is try and find crafting materials which is annoying
You hide in bushes , that's environment. take cover behind environment, you can use the environment to get better position on enemies. This constant goal post moving is hilarious.

Yoboman

Just threw up in my mouth a little

How about we leave the SINGLE linear narrative game alone and you go play other games?

There are dozens of games that will offer you what you want. Many of us want and prefer linear games with well thought out level design and a well paced storyline. And Naughty Dog is basically the only AAA Dev left still delivering this

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It’s literally been ten years since the first one and we have gone through three generations. Of course it’s time to change the gameplay or add new ideas for their next game which might be 3-4 years out. That’s a span of 13-14 years. Look at what kojima did with mgs2 2001 to 2015 mgs5. Or what ssm did between gow 2005 and gow 2018.

Or they could follow what Microsoft has done with Gears of war and halo. Keep everything the same and see how that goes.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Super happy for those numbers and all involved in the adaptation. Well earned and they should be super happy and thrilled. I hope it paves the way for more game adaptations.

And they should enjoy those numbers while they last, because it’s all downhill starting in season 2.

Last edited:

Yoboman

It’s literally been ten years since the first one and we have gone through three generations. Of course it’s time to change the gameplay or add new ideas for their next game which might be 3-4 years out. That’s a span of 13-14 years. Look at what kojima did with mgs2 2001 to 2015 mgs5. Or what ssm did between gow 2005 and gow 2018.

Or they could follow what Microsoft has done with Gears of war and halo. Keep everything the same and see how that goes.
TLOU is unlikely to go beyond Part 3. There will be evolution while keeping it recognisable like Part 2

noise36

I liked the show, think they did a better job than most video game adaptions, but it was all so rushed and the infected barely play any part, you rarely have a sense that its that the infected are everywhere and something to be feared.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just threw up in my mouth a little

How about we leave the SINGLE linear narrative game alone and you go play other games?

There are dozens of games that will offer you what you want. Many of us want and prefer linear games with well thought out level design and a well paced storyline. And Naughty Dog is basically the only AAA Dev left still delivering this
Wait why do we not want metroidvania elements in our single player games? Those games have level design that is far more well thought out than anything in uncharted and tlou. Re, mgs 1-3, zelda, gow, metroid, soulsborne and Tomb raider reboots are far more rewarding and better designed than the linear cods, uncharteds, gears and killzones.

Insane to see this kind of visceral reaction to a post that is simply asking for what is essentially THE best way to structure a single player game.

Yoboman

Wait why do we not want metroidvania elements in our single player games? Those games have level design that is far more well thought out than anything in uncharted and tlou. Re, mgs 1-3, zelda, gow, metroid, soulsborne and Tomb raider reboots are far more rewarding and better designed than the linear cods, uncharteds, gears and killzones.

Insane to see this kind of visceral reaction to a post that is simply asking for what is essentially THE best way to structure a single player game.
He didn't say Metroidvanias, he said hub with base building and side missions 🤮

MGS1 and 3 are not Metroidvanias or hub designs. Maybe you can argue MGS2 had some aspects of that, but MGS3 was 100% wide linear occasionally opening up into sandbox stealth/combat arenas. Same with games like That is exactly what TLOU2 is and it's the best type of level design IMO. Heck there was already a big portion of TLOU2 that was hub based anyway

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I loved the show but I felt more emotions in 2013 naturally.
One thing they missed was cutting the music during hospital scene and the most important thing there gave does better - it shows Joel touching the watch as he is about to lie to Ellie.

Tlou2 emotions are way higher than this for me too. But part 1 emotions simplicity cannot be understated. It’s effective.

What’s infuriating is that my wife says this show is the best thing ever and she played (watched) most of the game with me and had zero reaction back then and don’t remember a thing…
I’ve shown her tlou2 graphics and asked her if she wants to play season 2 with me before 2025 show and she refuses saying “I can’t take it seriously when they look like computer characters”

Kill me…

Generally the show is just a cutscene. It’s so close to the game, it’s existence is redundant. Ellie is great though. Might even be better.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Game design at ND needs improving

Druckman isn’t a game designer
No, he is a creative director. There are always other game directors that accompany him (and other creative directors for that matter) in a project.

TLOU - Neil was the CD and Bruce was the GD.
GOW - Cory was the CD and Eric was the GD.
TLOU 2 - Neil was the CD and Anthony & Kurt were GDs.

If you've complaints about the story and overall plot direction, that'd be against the CDs. If you've complaints about the gameplay, coherency, and game direction, that'd be the GDs.

Personally, I think ND is the best at both. There are no other games that match their level of immersive storytelling and characters. And now, after TLOU 2, no other game has the kind raw, visceral gameplay that plays out differently almost every time with unprecedented animations, AI, and quality.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am not denying that she has an amazing talent. It's just very hard for me to come in terms with it because of how she looks. It's a me problem, no one else's.
She is amazing. Stop being stubborn. Ellie in the first game looks like anime alien.

Freeman76

I thought episode 7 was pretty weak and I was worried where they were taking it, but episode 8 blew me away, by far my favourite episode. Watched the finale last night, very enjoyable and Joels Rambo section was well handled. In the game that took me 3 hours 🤣🤣

The little nods to the game have been incredible, especially the 'zoo', even some references to TlOU2 like the house in Ep 9

Shits gonna get interesting when the 9 iron comes out in season 2, a lot of ppl gonna lose their minds if they havent played the game.

NinjaBoiX

It’s a fun shooter with good AI

The exploration, crafting, character progression, and some encounter designs leave a lot to be desired though
It’s a GREAT shooter with probably the best AI in the genre, class leading animation, superlative audio/visual feedback, perfectly judged controls, plenty of options for experimentation and some of the best graphics in the industry.

The exploration is fine given the genre, the crafting is more than good enough, skill trees would be incongruous with the narrative and I simply disagree about the enemy encounters.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Sleepwalker

I loved the show but I felt more emotions in 2013 naturally.
One thing they missed was cutting the music during hospital scene and the most important thing there gave does better - it shows Joel touching the watch as he is about to lie to Ellie.

Tlou2 emotions are way higher than this for me too. But part 1 emotions simplicity cannot be understated. It’s effective.

What’s infuriating is that my wife says this show is the best thing ever and she played (watched) most of the game with me and had zero reaction back then and don’t remember a thing…
I’ve shown her tlou2 graphics and asked her if she wants to play season 2 with me before 2025 show and she refuses saying “I can’t take it seriously when they look like computer characters”

Kill me…

Generally the show is just a cutscene. It’s so close to the game, it’s existence is redundant. Ellie is great though. Might even be better.

Funny I had the exact opposite situation with my wife, I asked her if she wanted to play the game before the show and she said yes so she went through the remake and kept pace ahead of the show. She said she preferred the game and would've missed a lot by only watching the show. She still liked the show.

So I asked her if she wants to play the second before season 2 comes out, she said she aint waiting for season 2 lol. So we will start part 2 soon.

Good numbers for a solid good adaption. I know at this point they've been raised over and over again but I wouldve liked:

- a few more tense, infected scenes
- an episode or two more before we got to the finale
- a better hospital rampage

Personally, I felt like they fumbled the last episode a tiny bit

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Funny I had the exact opposite situation with my wife, I asked her if she wanted to play the game before the show and she said yes so she went through the remake and kept pace ahead of the show. She said she preferred the game and would've missed a lot by only watching the show. She still liked the show.

So I asked her if she wants to play the second before season 2 comes out, she said she aint waiting for season 2 lol. So we will start part 2 soon.
Oh man. Nice.
I can play games all day long. Wife don’t mind.
But she don’t reall understand the appeal

Kev Kev

I never finished the game and never even played the sequel, so I'm not blinded by nostalgia or whatever, and I thought it was pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking or amazing, but pretty solid overall and a good entry for video game to TV/movie adaptions. With the success of Sonic and now this, and Mario coming next month, I imagine we will be seeing a lot more adaptions in the future.

I still don't care for Bella Ramsey's acting, she just doesn't sell the part for me. She does an okay job overall, but there are too many times where I can feel that she is just acting. A lot of people seem to like her but I thought she was just okay.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This show managed to connect with people outside of the gaming audience and even the horror/zombie audience. Like my dad and stepmom have been watching. Really a testament to both the strength of the adaptation and the source material.

Romulus

It was good but I'm not a fan of how Joel can turn into a terminator T800 because "mad." Joel literally wiped out a ton of soldiers with body armor/ARs without a scratch.
The same guys were able to use a flash bang and sneak up on him hours earlier but suddenly go stupid for the final "shootout." Dumb and sloppy writing.

Last edited:

Pelta88

I am one of those people - believe it or not, I refuse to watch it because of Bella Ramsay alone. It's just a spit to the face to the fans. Her derpy face just doesn't fit the character, it's ridiculous whoever greenlit that. I don't care how good of an actor you are if you don't resemble a character I am connected with. Pedro I can give a pass too. Great for them that they have success, but I won't be watching it. The game is better anyway and is the real deal with the real original actors and characters. Nothing will ever replace that.

chris-evans-laugh.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gotta admit; after finishing the series I’ve gone from wanting to play the game to questioning if I still need to?

YCoCg

What are they gonna do in season 3 as is no 3rd game, my bet is they are go in a different direction then the games.
Could just leave it be after two seasons like a lot of shows, not everything needs to be milked (as much as HBO and Sony would want).

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Wasn't a big fan overall. It started off good, but felt kind of oddly paced. The relationship between Joel and Ellie doesn't feel earned. And the ending at the hospital is kind of cheesy.

But you think the same scene in the actual game is believable?
according to the haters after Part 2 happened,
Joel is a Super Soldier that would never make a mistake and give up his name to a person he didn't know existed or was chasing him.

Also, they already said part two would be split in multiple seasons, i'm guessing two. I look forward to it.

Top Bottom