• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Wednesday’ star Jenna Ortega’s rude comments should kill her career — but they won’t

Lasha

I remember Mark Hammil refused to say a certain line in Star Wars Episode 4 because he told George Lucas no human being would speak like this (essentially foreshadowing the prequels’ dialogue quality). “Clearly” he should have been fired on the spot for his “unprofessionalism”.

The Office Reaction GIF
Alec Guinness should be hanged by the same metric.

At least there’s absolutely no double standards when an actor pushes back against a show’s production team -

In some ways I think this is a good point. I do feel that the NYP article is ironically full of the sort of "how dare she, this person should be canceled" sort of moral police mentality that people hate about wokeness in the first place, and I do ultimately side with Ortega in this, but we are still talking about two different situations.

Ortega was pushing back at writing that she didn't think was appropriate for the character based on her personal opinion, while Cavill pushed back due to not sticking with the source material, and doing their own thing instead of following the books. Similar, but still fairly different.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Off-topic, she’s got some beautiful freckles which are unfortunately often caked with makeup. Probably not the best picture either, she looks like she’s about to do a cam show in the bathroom.

jenna-ortega-v0-jhy09uv7amea1.jpg
I'd be fine with that.

EDIT: Isn't this just called ad-libbing?

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sounds like she cares about the role and wasn’t a fan of production inconsistencies stemming from director/production changes, stepped up to take matters into her own hands when necessary, and there hasn’t been pushback because she made good calls.

I remember Mark Hammil refused to say a certain line in Star Wars Episode 4 because he told George Lucas no human being would speak like this (essentially foreshadowing the prequels’ dialogue quality). “Clearly” he should have been fired on the spot for his “unprofessionalism”.

The Office Reaction GIF

Way Better Quality than the Shitquel Trilogy
star wars GIF

Madflavor

It's a shame the game of thrones cast didn't push back harder regarding season 8, because you could tell by the awkward looks when reading the script together, that some of them knew something was off/wrong.

They were fast to point it out after the premiere though.

My understanding is that they did, but DnD had a reputation of not giving a shit.

bitbydeath

Hopefully she makes more changes in season 2, that whole loving violence and at the same time being against violence shtick was exhausting.

Rival

Gold Member
I thought I remembered reading that she put so much time into this show she got really sick working to the point of exhaustion. I loved Wednesday and don’t care if she was a complete bitch.

he actual paid, unionized writers

Ah, there is the crux. Writers are a special class of protected people whose work is unassailable or they will strike. Unlike actors who are a dime a dozen.

Like anyone goes to see this because it was written by
-The writers of the worst Mummy film (although they also wrote Made Men, an underrated classic)
-Someone who wrote an episode of Ally McBeal and Emily in Paris
-A Gossip Girl and Reign episode writer and also some shows no one watches

The gap between them and Tim Burton must have been incredible and Jenna is right to try to get some consistency and not auteurs pushing their unique vision.

Writers have way too much power in TV, unlike in movies where their shit gets tossed or changed every day of the shoot. But either way, actors changing lines on the fly to better suit what they think is there character is hardly a new thing. There's always a push and pull in creative productions, yes even if they are commercial.

At least there’s absolutely no double standards when an actor pushes back against a show’s production team -

When I first read this, I thought you were criticizing bounding in to comics. After thinking about it a bit more, I realize that you're probably criticizing Netflix, since they're the only constant in this equation. In that case, it's a very good point.

sleipnir

Neo Member
It sounds like she's just standing up for her craft, and pushing back against some bad writing, rather than being an arrogant POS. There is a lot of crap TV and film including high budget mega franchises, and it often the writing, rather than the acting that lets it down. More actors needs to make a stand for what they do and the characters they are giving life too... I didn't read it all, but I get the gist that is what she is doing.

Top Bottom