• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Uncut Gems” - new movie from A24, directed by Safdie Brothers, starring Adam Sandler. Sandler gets serious again?

Idina Menzel (RENT, Glee, Frozen, Frozen 2) stars opposite Sandler

Directing by the Safdie Brothers, who did “Good Time” with Robert Pattinson (great movie and probably the role that got Pattinson the Batman gig)

I think this looks pretty damn good

A24 doesn’t let me down often

Comes out December

Edit

Misused the social tag. My bad

Last edited:

mekes

Just saw it. Adam Sandlers character is a train wreck in this movie! Definitely his best work for a while. Another good movie from the Safdie bros. I’ve seen some reviewers call the film an assault on the senses and that feels a perfect way to describe it. Maybe a little too unrelenting for me, I slightly prefer Good Time but this is a good movie.

zeioIIDX

The ending shook me up and my mood went from elation to like, depression and apathy...I realize things kinda had to go that way but Jesus Christ. It shocked me in much the same way a certain bank scene from Dragged Across Concrete did. Kinda fucked me up although the bank scene from Dragged Across Concrete actually made me pause the movie and take a break because it was that gut wrenching and unexpected.

Loved Uncut Gems but my favorite Sandler flick is still Punch-Drunk Love. I just wanna give Barry a hug and be his friend lol.

mekes

Ah Punch Drunk is my favourite of Sandler too. This was a funny movie because you can’t root for this character! I rooted for Sandlers character a whole lot in Punch Drunk. Sandler needed those throat punches x1000 in this movie 😂

A damn good movie that is always moving forward while still letting characters and scenes develop. I'm glad it didn't try to do too much, especially at the end

Hinedorf

Banned
At about 30 minutes this movie became so uncomfortable for me I actually stopped watching for a few minutes, 20 minutes later I stopped altogether.

As a pretty long term degenerate sports gambler this movie is hard to watch from the perspective of somebody putting their entire life in a bet but the stress and angst it gave me was just too much to continue.

Sandler truly delivers enough for me to say whether he gets an Oscar or not, nobody will EVER question his worthiness of it.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
93% critic score and 54% audience. Yikes!

MaestroMike

Gold Member
just saw it.

y didn't they let him win in the end?? its not like he was a bad husband and bad to his associates & constantly gave people the runaround. just kidding i knew he would get hit somehow in the end like how pattinson lost in Good Time. they weren't gonna let a no goodnik win which is a good thing I guess but maybe being killed is excessive punishment for his behavior

movie had energy throughout I liked it.

just saw it.

y didn't they let him win in the end?? its not like he was a bad husband and bad to his associates & constantly gave people the runaround. just kidding i knew he would get hit somehow in the end like how pattinson lost in Good Time. they weren't gonna let a no goodnik win which is a good thing I guess but maybe being killed is excessive punishment for his behavior

movie had energy throughout I liked it.
Bottom line, he had pushed the guy to the point that Howard coming out on top would've been the ultimate slap in the face. Howard had talked his way into the undeserved good graces of his boss countless times, bit him hard enough to pierce skin, insulted and disrespected him countless times, and made him look like a fool on multiple occasions. Now Howard gets to pay off his debts and walk away with 1.1 million because he got lucky. The enforcer couldn't accept that, so he shot him. He just couldn't let Howard win, consequences be damned.

Thabass

Gold Member
93% critic score and 54% audience. Yikes!

For once I agree with the critics. I don't know if I would give it 93%, but it was an emotional rollercoaster throughout and had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The ending was gutwrenching too, even if it was predictable.

I recently watched this. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
The constant momentum was initially exhausting, but worked perfectly to allow me to relate to the 'standing still = death' life Ratner was living.
Great casting and acting all around. Sandler is clearly talented and I'd enjoy seeing him do more of this sort of stuff.

People who havent seen it and want more Serious Sandler should watch The Meyerowitz Stories.

Having seen all his dramatic roles prior, that was the first dramatic role of his where I actually bought it. I always found his performances in Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me to be very overrated, but in Meyerowitz he nails drama for the first time.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This movie was fucking horrible. Like, wtf was the point other than "Addiction is bad mkay". Waste of an evening for my wife and I.

edit: I don't gamble because its stupid. Also there is no way that white girl's ass is real.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
People who havent seen it and want more Serious Sandler should watch The Meyerowitz Stories.

Having seen all his dramatic roles prior, that was the first dramatic role of his where I actually bought it. I always found his performances in Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me to be very overrated, but in Meyerowitz he nails drama for the first time.
Reign Over Me is Mike Binder's worst movie as far as I can tell. The last third of the script lost the plot and pretty much tanked the movie. If you just watch the first part it's pretty good.

TTOOLL

What a movie holy shit!! Just finished it!
I felt uneasy during the whole thing and that bullet at the end saved my life.
The score is legit terrifying and it adds so much to the claustrophobic feeling of this movie.

I need to wind down...

TTOOLL

This movie was fucking horrible. Like, wtf was the point other than "Addiction is bad mkay". Waste of an evening for my wife and I.

edit: I don't gamble because its stupid. Also there is no way that white girl's ass is real.

Dat ass is fucking unreal

Good ass movie that we need more of in the consume product era. One of the few good things Netflix has given me.

That Akira inspiration though.

Pattinson was great in 'Good Time'. I really enjoy most of his roles and how selective he's become.
It'll be interesting to see how 'Batman' turns out.

Adam Sandler always was a good actor (when he wants to be, anyway), it's just that why wouldn't he profit and just coast around with his family doing movies that are basically just extended vacations? He's said so himself, I'm pretty sure. He touches on it a little in his comedy special, too, which was surprisingly entertaining.

The Safdie brothers definitely know what they're doing. Especially seeing as they've just signed a new HBO deal.

Top Bottom