• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10-15 years ago, games were considerably shorter, why have game length ballooned like this?

Neo_game

IMO it is irrelevant metric. Although the games you enjoy you ideally want to it last longer and you feel little disappointed that it got over. I think that is much better feeling than bigger game which you do not even enjoy playing has to many filler or you done playing few hours.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is it because most big games have tons of side quests and open world exploration? I dont know.

If someone just stuck to the main quest in a 10 year old game, and compared it to a similar game now doing the same thing are games still longer?

Are mandatory cut scenes part of the issue?

Aaron Olive

This, which is also why people like me with families are just not playing. I had PS5 Ragnarok Edition today in the cart but for what - to spend 1 hour every day for the next month playing one game? Where I can also dedicate that time to reading and piano? Nah, fuck this shit, I'm out.
?? Sounds like most of you don’t need to play games then. some of the examples in here sound crazy and people in here contradicting themselves thinking they sound smart.

Anything you do takes time and effort, example im a single dad with a 2 year old son and still manage to play my games more than 1 hour.
G8M8JIj.png

…. I agree with everyone here that ACV is complete absurdity.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
On the contrary, I think people are fed up of bloat.

The Witcher 3, Skyrim, Elden Ring, Breath of the Wild taking over 50 hours to complete? Nearly everyone wants that. The rest? Nope. Not really.

I think most studios/devs doing this are out of touch/full of themselves/trying to justify their own work.
BoTW while great imho to play. Took up large chunks of my time. At times. It was helped by the fact that progression is quick. If it was slower paced I would have stopped.

like marvel. Etc some modern games are becoming too demanding. We just want a nice escape from reality at times. Not something that demands all our time energy and attention.

Last edited:

Barrico82

Banned
This is why. People care more about quantity than quality. disgusting.

Why you assumed that i cared about quantity over quality, what is the relevance between short games and quality, plenty of short games are terrible!

In a market where there are games like MGSV, witcher, elden ring, even indie game like hollow knight, why would i pay the same amount of money to shorter games ?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Well, i guess now content creation isn't what takes the longest in the dev pipeline. When the company needs two years to do all the animation work, the team responsible for "gameplay content" can work a little longer.

In Resident Evil 2 there where a hand full of animations, the amount of game mechanic was rather small in scope so the team doing all the backgrounds and general content would dictate how long development took, I imagine.

Now every aspect needs to be on this AAA level, at the end it will take five years to make a complete experience and that gives every department time to work longer on their part. We have more levels, more music, more animations etc.

BbMajor7th

I loved Elden Ring in the end and the quality across the run of play was very high, but the game simply was too big and too long. That said, I found Demon Souls a little on the short side, not that I felt short-changed or anything. I do enjoy replaying games, but it's very hard to do these days, because most games run on far too long and can't maintain the quality over that duration. TLOU 2, though I liked it, drags hard in the second half, despite the change of protagonist, because it's the same types of mechanics spread just a little too thin.

GametimeUK

The thing is I'd probably get more playtime out of a 10 hour game than a 40 hour game due to how much I'd replay it. I very rarely if ever replay a 40 hour game. Its a one and done experience for me.

I'd love to see a return to more laser focused story games that last around 10 hours and encourage replayability.

Sometimes following a 40 hour story can be a chore especially if you have to put the game down for a while due to "real life".

Last edited:

hyperbertha

'shin megami tensei'
We have as many smaller games these days too like last of us 2, ratchet and clank, crash 4, callisto protocol, mario odyssey, no more heroes etc.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Cause everyone on Gamefaqs was posting "how long is this game??"

I love a short game with great replay value. The bloat on modern action/adventure games makes me sad.

It's like making you eat baby carrots in between each bite of burrito, so the experience lasts longer.
I rather just order two of the same burrito.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You already had to exclude one major platform to make your wrong point.
Also funny how the Nintendo games you cite as the bane of gaming and lesser, less ambitious or whatever, are actually more similar to what you wish for, maintaining their full price for ever more often than not.
I genuinely don’t know what you’re talking about here.
There is no mention of Nintendo games in my post. I mentioned Wii and DS as examples of platforms that would naturally have games that would be considered second-tier at best in their era.
Also I never stated what I “wish for” in there.

Fredrik

I really like longer games because I grew up playing RPGs mostly so in my mind it's the opposite really. An 8-hour single player campaign without any replayability feels like a rip off of my monetary investment.

I'm alone in my boat but I want my rpgs to be 60 hours and the rest 30 hours.
What’s interesting with older games is that they were often short but there was no hand-holding and the difficulty was higher so you could still play a 3 hour game for days or weeks or more before you finished it.
I remember playing through The Last Ninja in 45 minutes when it came to Nintendo Wii VC, because I know it inside out now, but back in the days I must’ve played it for weeks.

Modern games on the other hand has so much hand-holding so you would likely finish a 3 hour game the first day unless it’s extremely difficult which is rare.

What’s interesting with older games is that they were often short but there was no hand-holding and the difficulty was higher so you could still play a 3 hour game for days or weeks or more before you finished it.
I remember playing through The Last Ninja in 45 minutes when it came to Nintendo Wii VC, because I know it inside out now, but back in the days I must’ve played it for weeks.

Modern games on the other hand has so much hand-holding so you would likely finish a 3 hour game the first day unless it’s extremely difficult which is rare.

I think a bigger issue than handholding is the lack of replayability. So many modern games have very scripted moments that are an absolute chore to play through more than once. I love God of War 2018, but I immediately think of all the scripted moments that I would have to sit through if I wanted to replay and I just... don't. FF7Remake is similar. I can replay FF7 any time without issue, but FF7R I struggle as I just think of "Man I have to do those painful slow walking segments where I crouch under and through rubble".

It sucks.

Fredrik

I think a bigger issue than handholding is the lack of replayability. So many modern games have very scripted moments that are an absolute chore to play through more than once. I love God of War 2018, but I immediately think of all the scripted moments that I would have to sit through if I wanted to replay and I just... don't. FF7Remake is similar. I can replay FF7 any time without issue, but FF7R I struggle as I just think of "Man I have to do those painful slow walking segments where I crouch under and through rubble".

It sucks.
Hmm I just realized that I rarely replay games. The games I’ve started over in after finishing in recent times: Metroid Dread, Cyberpunk, Elden Ring.

njean777

Because every game has to be some open world, a bajillion side quests that equate to nothing, and hunting/collections quests that get you some useless upgrade in a tree that requires you to do the same thing over and over for minuscule amounts of return. Thus a game that should be maybe 15 hours is now 65 and nothing of value was gained.

I do not hate open world games when they are done right, but now if a game says that it is open world I am extremely skeptical.

Gamers demand more. There are still shorter games out there. You aren't forced to play longer games. You aren't even forced to beat games. You play them so long as you find them enjoyable. I've long since moved past feeling the desperate need to beat every game, though I still do just that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

It sucks.
That’s starting to bug me too. A lot of the big AAA games are walking and talking with the NPC. It’s the same setup. As if the developers took the same class back in their college years. It’s funny how older JRPGs that we considered to be “novels” are much easier to manage with time constraints.

With that said, auto-saves and pause features have made things better for the longer games. I enjoy it when I can save anywhere. A lot of the time you can predict what will happen next.

A lot of it can work if you want to enjoy this type of game. Some of the stuff is becoming a pattern and it’s basically the same thing in a new wrapper. I personally enjoy something like the Souls series over the AAA sandbox games because I can literally run to a kill a boss, clear a section of the map, and everything is saved whenever I decide to shut the game off.

Back to your point..
I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War 2018/2022, Death Stranding, and Ghost of Tsushima. I’m also not going to replay those games. Even if I have extra time I’m not. What I will replay are the RE games and so forth. They’re shorter and there’s replay value with extra content. I can replay the Souls games because my level makes places on a map a breeze. I enjoy playing classic JRPGs and the best part about these Remastered versions are the quality of life improvements that speed everything up. You have to skip a lot of cutscenes and alleyway scenes in order to breeze VIIR. I’ll definitely play Part 2, but I kinda doubt I’ll play the entire campaign more than once. What’s the incentive? Watch the characters chat with each other while walking slowly down a path? It’s great the first time.

People will take time to watch sports, movies, and binge watch shows. If you find a game you like then it’s totally worth the time investment. It’s a hypocritical thing to say games are such a waste of time if you’re putting the same or even more time into another form of entertainment.

I’m looking forward to the SH2 and RE4 Remake. Even the new Silent Hill coming out way later will probably be good. Those games are like 10-15 hours. Skip the other stuff. I don’t buy Ubisoft games for myself. My wife likes those. I played through The Witcher 1-3 and I never did a second play through. I like those games, but I don’t always replay the ones I clocked 30-40 hours just to beat.

nkarafo

Nah, it's not a modern trend. As always, it depends on the game. I remember spending 100+ hours playing Ocarina of time back in 1998, way more than more recent games in the series. Or something like DOOM and all it's 4 episodes taking me forever to complete (that's 32 maps in total, excluding the secret ones). Also, the "collectathon" 3D platformers on the N64 were huge. Even Mario 64 (which was the simplest) was pretty big, especially if you went for more than 70 stars, but stuff like Banjo-Kazooie and DK64 were massive games. I even gave up on the later because of how big and bloated it was.

adamosmaki

Not entirely truth. Reason why games seem longer now days it's because most of them are open world and its really easy to put pointless missions and fetch guests to claim a longer game. Only very few games are doing open world nature justice
Alot of older games especially single player fps games were 20-30 hours long with greater attention to gameplay than your average 30-40 hour ubisoft snore fest.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What time? If you play video games, you really dont value your time.
Hows enjoying your favourite hobby is waste of time exactly? I like enjoying life and one part of enjoying life is enjoying my hobbies, what’s wrong with that?

Edit: also you literally here in gaming forums, posting about video games.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The longer you play the more likely you will pay extra whether for skins, Pay to Win shortcuts, or anything else.

Yoboman

Because reviewers were marking down games for being 6 hours. Then for being 12 hours. Then for not having multiplayer added on.

Kindela

Banned
due to shitty filler content.

if you took out all the slow walking sequences of GoW Ragnarök for example the game would almost literally be only half as long.

I out of interest randomly timed exactly 1 hour of "gameplay" with my phone, each time I was in control and when I was in a cutscene or slow walking sequence.

slow walking+ cutscenes in that hour was ~38min...
That's weird, because I have been playing Ragnarok for 45 hours, and I would guess that most of my time was spent on side content, where you run at a normal speed, fight, explore, and row a boat.
Can't even remember the last time I had a cutscene/slow walking segment. Maybe 5-6 hours ago.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Press and some gamers want fast food quantity over quality and sometimes expect both (which leads to super rapid growth in dev budgets and tons of micro transactions to make the money back)… complain if games are not all huge AAAA experiences shunning shorter and very polished experiences / criticising them and then they do not finish games and amass backlogs.

Gamers love foot guns… 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Hows enjoying your favourite hobby is waste of time exactly? I like enjoying life and one part of enjoying life is enjoying my hobbies, what’s wrong with that?

Edit: also you literally here in gaming forums, posting about video games.
Because it's a hobby, which takes long time. The only value there is your entertainment. Just like doing other hobbies.

The only thing that matters is your enjoyment and not the value of your time.

Last edited:
I mean players obviously want it?! How many one and done 10 hour games have sold 10 + million copies? ( without multiplayer)

The only series I can think of is resident evil. Games can get to bloated but prefer this than games being too short.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Nah, it's not a modern trend. As always, it depends on the game. I remember spending 100+ hours playing Ocarina of time back in 1998, way more than more recent games in the series. Or something like DOOM and all it's 4 episodes taking me forever to complete (that's 32 maps in total, excluding the secret ones). Also, the "collectathon" 3D platformers on the N64 were huge. Even Mario 64 (which was the simplest) was pretty big, especially if you went for more than 70 stars, but stuff like Banjo-Kazooie and DK64 were massive games. I even gave up on the later because of how big and bloated it was.
Those games were longer then because they were introducing new mechanics and new ways of playing. They’re extremely compact when compared to the average modern game. Banjo-Kazooie is a marvel of game design as it manages to cram so much content in such compact stages. DK64 feels massive mostly thanks to convoluted, compartmentalized level design and the need to explore every nook and cranny with 5 different characters. But these games would still take you around 30 hours to complete in their time, hardly more than that. I doubt you spent 100 hours on OoT in one single playthrough.

Anyway, like I said in the opening, those games took us a long time to beat because we had to learn new ways of playing. We had to cope with standards of game design that were much more obscure than today. Now we’re still playing with controls and design tropes from that era, just simplified and perfected. Simply put, we already know how to play the new games and what to expect from them, because the template is largely the same. We could finish them much faster if not for all the filler content and cinema stuff, which is why they’re making the games longer on purpose. Most devs were kids that played PS and N64 games in the mid-90s. That’s where they’re taking their ideas and design standards from. They know most gamers are accustomed to the same templates and tropes, so they need to pad their games out or whoever cut their teeth on the N64 or earlier can understand what to do in every given situation in a heartbeat. Hence why gamers past their teens complain about the handholding and the games giving you the solution to everything before you even realize there’s a roadblock.

About the people who say “I’m not paying $70 for a 8-to-12 hour game”. Don’t you see that your premise is wrong? The problem is in thinking that new game HAS TO cost this “standard” full price. The new-game price notion is so ingrained, not only in the publishers, but in the gamers themselves. “It’s new and AAA, so of course it must be $70”. But why? Who decided this? They could have made TLOU2 10 hours shorter and launch it at $50. There’s absolutely nothing preventing a top-quality, but shorter-than-average game costing less than this standard everyone has somehow silently agreed upon. But of course, it’s all psychology at work here - people have become so accustomed to paying $60, then $70 for AAA, that if God of War launched at $50, they’d smell a rat. AAA has to cost that because if it doesn’t, it can’t possibly be the premium product people expect. If Sony/Nintendo/MS is launching a supposedly big game at less than the expected price, then they themselves must not think it’s worth top dollar! There’s the nice psychological trap people fell into. Things don’t have to be this way, yet a lot of people desperately want them to be this way to feel their purchase validated.

Difficulty dropped for sure. I remember mowing lawns for months for Contra: The Alien Wars. I played that game more than any game I’ve played that’s come out within the last 10 years.

I understand the frustration, however, I’ve come to find that games are like movies or music.

Do you like to listen to new music?

How are you’re favorite bands faring these days? For me it’s a bunch of 40-50 year old men doing their absolute best to remain relevant. Albeit, some better than others but it’s 90% shit. You like what you like.

Do you like new movies or TV shows?

When I was 12 I would have blown the back end out of my shorts out if you told me a Shang-Chi movie was going to come out, let alone a Werewolf by Night show.

They suck. If you like them, I understand, they’re good by todays standards. They’re also nothing compared to what made those characters special to begin with.

I don’t like to complain about current games because it always feels like an old man yelling at the sky.

For most of us, our time of relativity has come to a close. Move on, it’s not our world anymore.

Kids love stupid ass bullshit that hasn’t recently amounted to a good game.

By kids I mean the lowest denominator, kids along with all the fucks (you know who you are) who post here.

We are too old to argue consoles, exclusives, or honestly, each other’s opinions.

What was the thread about again?

Fuck you, get off my lawn.

Hmm I just realized that I rarely replay games. The games I’ve started over in after finishing in recent times: Metroid Dread, Cyberpunk, Elden Ring.

To me a great game is one I want to return to. If I don’t have that feeling of wanting to return to a game or dread doing so, then it isn’t a game worth buying. A rental at best.

Meanwhile if a game bores me then it utterly fails at being a game.

Fredrik

To me a great game is one I want to return to. If I don’t have that feeling of wanting to return to a game or dread doing so, then it isn’t a game worth buying. A rental at best.

Meanwhile if a game bores me then it utterly fails at being a game.
That’s a bit harsh imo, I can definitely enjoy a 1-playthrough-only type of game, most story focused games are like that for me, I don’t read books again either. It’s fine.

But I agree that a game that I want to return to is better.

Skyrim is a weird one, I’ve never finished it but I’ve played hundreds if not thousands of hours on different characters. It has absolute top notch replayability, especially on PC with mods and if you count the VR version too.
Elden Ring is a new one like that, nearly 400 hours played and I’m still finding new loot, areas and ways to play it.

That’s a bit harsh imo, I can definitely enjoy a 1-playthrough-only type of game, most story focused games are like that for me, I don’t read books again either. It’s fine.
I can enjoy it as well, but why buy them? There are plenty of places to “rent” games, whether it be GamePass, Playstation Premium, or services like GameFly.

But I agree that a game that I want to return to is better.

Skyrim is a weird one, I’ve never finished it but I’ve played hundreds if not thousands of hours on different characters. It has absolute top notch replayability, especially on PC with mods and if you count the VR version too.
Elden Ring is a new one like that, nearly 400 hours played and I’m still finding new loot, areas and ways to play it.
Elden Ring is a generation defining game and one that will be looked at with the same reverence as something like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, or THIEF 2. A fantastic game that can be endlessly replayed and one whose age won’t show cracks. Hell people *still* play Dark Souls and Demon Souls and adore them. Elden Ring is a million times better than both.

Fredrik

I can enjoy it as well, but why buy them? There are plenty of places to “rent” games, whether it be GamePass, Playstation Premium, or services like GameFly.
Because I don’t like waiting. I’m set til 2024 on both Gamepass Ultimate and PS+ Premium but Sony delay their games so there isn’t much to do there. I don’t buy games on Xbox though.

Elden Ring is a generation defining game and one that will be looked at with the same reverence as something like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, or THIEF 2. A fantastic game that can be endlessly replayed and one whose age won’t show cracks. Hell people *still* play Dark Souls and Demon Souls and adore them. Elden Ring is a million times better than both.
Agreed! It really is something else, it’s my all time #2. Super Metroid is still better, it’s the perfect game, the definition of 10/10.

Because I don’t like waiting. I’m set til 2024 on both Gamepass Ultimate and PS+ Premium but Sony delay their games so there isn’t much to do there. I don’t buy games on Xbox though.
I am confused. Why would you need to wait? IIRC all new games are available at launch on GameFly, then you also have places like local libraries that offer brand new games for rental. Any MS game is available day and date with GamePass as are a good number of others. PS Premium is behind a good bit, but its also getting some new games day one. Though not as many.

Agreed! It really is something else, it’s my all time #2. Super Metroid is still better, it’s the perfect game, the definition of 10/10.
I actually never much cared for Super Metroid. It is one of my least favorite metroid games. Dread I adored and the GBA games I could not put down.

Fredrik

I am confused. Why would you need to wait? IIRC all new games are available at launch on GameFly, then you also have places like local libraries that offer brand new games for rental. Any MS game is available day and date with GamePass as are a good number of others. PS Premium is behind a good bit, but its also getting some new games day one. Though not as many.
Never used GameFly, don’t even know if I can in my country.
As an example I would have to wait to play Ragnarök since it’s not available on PS+, once I saw the review scores I didn’t want to wait so I bought it. I don’t have any bigger issues with that though, it’s a meaty game. Plus I could buy it from the money earned from owning Sony stocks for one week 🤓

I actually never much cared for Super Metroid. It is one of my least favorite metroid games. Dread I adored and the GBA games I could not put down.
I loved Metroid Dread as well, has some of my favorite boss fights in gaming, it was my GOTY. But it has some extra layers of hand holding that made it easier to 100%. The fun bit there is that David Jaffe trashed the game for how easy it was to get stuck lol. We all have different preferences.

Is it Skyrim's fault? That game had tons of stuff to do outside of the main quest and the majority of it did not feel like "filler". Ive played it multiple times and still haven't done the main quest line. Perhaps GTAV had an influence here but again, the filler certainly didn't feel like filler imo.

Maybe it's "easier" for devs to make an open world and fill it with a bunch of Assassin's Creed style checkbox quests as opposed to mapping out a compelling, but narrow 6-8hr narrative.

Fbh

Skyrim is a long game done right because there's a lot of content and a lot to do but it doesn't get forced upon you. If you just want to beat the main story it's usually under 30 hours, if you want to ignore the main story and fuck around you are given the freedom fairly early in the game. Personally every time I've spent 100+ hours on a game it's usually because I really enjoy the side content and I'm choosing to spend extra time with the game, not because it's artificially extending the main quest

I think the problem with a lot of modern bloat games like AC Valhalla or Persona 5 is that a lot of the bloat and repetition gets integrated into the main story

Never used GameFly, don’t even know if I can in my country.
As an example I would have to wait to play Ragnarök since it’s not available on PS+, once I saw the review scores I didn’t want to wait so I bought it. I don’t have any bigger issues with that though, it’s a meaty game. Plus I could buy it from the money earned from owning Sony stocks for one week 🤓
Def understandable. I forget that not everyone on GAF lives in the US, so that is my bad!
I loved Metroid Dread as well, has some of my favorite boss fights in gaming, it was my GOTY. But it has some extra layers of hand holding that made it easier to 100%. The fun bit there is that David Jaffe trashed the game for how easy it was to get stuck lol. We all have different preferences.
David Jaffe of today would be laughed at by David Jaffe of yesteryear. I miss the old Jaffe, he had credibility.

As for Dread, you are absolutely correct… to a point. I don’t think it is “handholding” that makes it easier to 100%, but simply better and more fluid control scheme and a better level layout that feels good to blast through.

Because people were crying about games like Heavenly Sword and The Order only being 6 hr games, despite both being solid games.

Now we have games like GOW Ragnarok, which despite being awesome, are full of filler "quests" to extend playtime.

People just want "more" stuff for the money they spend, because for most people more = better.

Fredrik

As for Dread, you are absolutely correct… to a point. I don’t think it is “handholding” that makes it easier to 100%, but simply better and more fluid control scheme and a better level layout that feels good to blast through.
Let me detail it a bit. In Super Metroid you have a scanner that you manually rotate and look with in the rooms for hidden paths. In Dread you just ping a radar and you see the whole room at once and the hidden blocks at once, taking away lots of experimentation and exploration.
And in Super Metroid you just see a dot for some pickup and save and reload rooms etc, nothing else.
In Dread when you see a special block you can never unsee it on the map taking away the need to learn and remember the oddities of the map.

The shinespark puzzles in Dread were difficult though, they were both extremely frustrating but also highly rewarding once you cleared them.

Top Bottom