• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10-15 years ago, games were considerably shorter, why have game length ballooned like this?

Let me detail it a bit. In Super Metroid you have a scanner that you manually rotate and look with in the rooms for hidden paths. In Dread you just ping a radar and you see the whole room at once and the hidden blocks at once, taking away lots of experimentation and exploration.
And in Super Metroid you just see a dot for some pickup and save and reload rooms etc, nothing else.
In Dread when you see a special block you can never unsee it on the map taking away the need to learn and remember the oddities of the map.
Fair point! I honestly did forget about those features and I did grow annoyed at the special block situation in Dread. Personally though, I find the scannar/radar situation just a change of making things more smooth and lessening the downtime. I would like to have it showcase less or have it on a longer cooldown.

The shinespark puzzles in Dread were difficult though, they were both extremely frustrating but also highly rewarding once you cleared them.
I am of the other opinion. I actually prefer the shinespark in Super! I found them to be more difficult and rewarding to get than Dread’s.

Fredrik

I am of the other opinion. I actually prefer the shinespark in Super! I found them to be more difficult and rewarding to get than Dread’s.
Can’t agree, I thought the Dread ones were crazy, maybe it’s easier to pull it off at first but having to keep the spark going for multiple directions was really messing with my head.
Like this one 😓

But omg the controls in this game is just pure perfection. I need to start another playthrough!

What's great about side content is that it's all optional. As much as I like long-ass games, If I have a 60-hour game in front of me, I'd rather have 45 hours of great story and gameplay paired with 15 hours of meaningful side quests that offer great rewards than 25 hours of story paired 35 hours of fetch quest to receive some lame potions and antidotes.

Fools idol

Banned
being honest here, the games that go over the 50 hour mark and I actually enjoy and finish are so few it probably says it all. I can only think of two off the top - Witcher 3 and Dark Souls.

The industry going full on open world longplay was one of the worst things to happen to gaming imho.

nush

Gold Member
It's because publishers want you to keep playing their games so you don't finish quickly and buy another publishers game.

Top Bottom