• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The title of the thread is from a book title by a Robert Dimery which collects information about various albums released over the years that are considered mandatory by the editor. The book covers music from across genres and from all over the world.

As an experiment, and because I love music discovery, I opted to start down the path of listening to one of these albums each day. If this sounds interesting to you, join me. There are only two things you need:
1) I'm using this website to randomly generate an album each day. After you listen and rate the days album, at a specific time, a new one will be listed. Repeat the process. There are a few settings you can adjust, like receiving albums on weekends. You can extract your data at any time.​
2) A copy of the book or access to Wikipedia if you want to learn more about the album. The book is out of print these days, however a PDF copy is up at the Internet Archive.​

9EDLnDr.jpg

A few highlights for me so far (on day 19 today):
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home: While I've been well aware of most of Dylan's hits, I've never delved into his albums. Day 1 started off with a bang as I enjoyed this album so much that I picked up a copy on vinyl about a week after hearing it.

Hugh Masekela - Home Is Where The Music Is: I love jazz but I'm not going to pretend my knowledge is deep. Masekela's album was a joy to listen to and I'm happy to add him to my pool of artists. I quite enjoyed the book's writeup of the origin of the album as well. It really helped drive home the meat of the album. My standout track on first listen was Minawa.

The Blue Nile - A Walk Across The Rooftops: I had never heard of this band before. The album was a knockout for me. I see it described as pretentious, and I do agree, but this hits all the right notes for me. Reminds me a lot of Peter Gabriel and Talking Heads. The audio quality is top tier.

Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson: I've of course heard Coconut, as I'm sure just about everyone has. I was surprised by the rest if the album, as it was my first time hearing Nilsson's other work. I had no clue he was so regarded by The Beatles. Early in the Morning was the early standout track for me.

Sister Sledge - We Are Family: I am familiar with the titular track but the rest of the album was a solid listen as well. The standout track for me is Think of You, which I had not heard prior

Of course there have been a number of albums that I am already familiar with. Work by Incubus, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, My Bloody Valentine, and Portishead for example.

Here's what my ratings look like so far.
Oz9qLb7.png

The 1001 series is a great reference for those interested in a particular area, though not everything about them is positive. They pack way too many entries of the same franchise, at least they did in the gaming book. It had like 6 Final Fantasy games and other series which ate up the 1001 total.

9781844036813.jpg

s-l600.jpg

I do like the comic one though as it has some diverse selections.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Music is subjective. I didn't say they weren't talented. They're just not for me.
Frankly, you didn’t say that. You made a blanket statement. Saying “I think they suck” would have been different but you didn’t say that.

That being said, it’s not a big deal, I’m making a deal out of nothing, you clarified your point, and I don’t want to derail the thread.

Also, I do t like u2 either…

RAÏSanÏa

There's quite a few I haven't heard and there's stuff off the beaten track like Talvin Singh and Gotan Project. I'll try this out.

One that I didn't see that I'd add is Mr. Doctor's The Girl Who Was Death
Since the first time I heard it it's been my top recommendation of needing to be heard at least once.

I might sign up later. For now I think I'll pick albums I haven't heard at random to get a sense of what's there and avoid having to listen to Ryan Adams again.

This looks good after mentioning Mr. Doctor

Power Pro

These kind of lists are so stupid to me, because music is highly subjective. A lot of the "great albums" I personally find unbearable, and would never want to subject myself to again.

1001 is a hell of an endeavor. Sounds interesting but do you skip songs you’re not feeling?! Can’t imagine sitting through 40-60 minutes of something that’s not at all for me. Bright side is you already found a new record worth owning so 😎

Wildebeest

So I'm allowed to die after finishing this?

Apparently, first is 2112 by Rush. Rush make me think of weirdly intense boomers with esoteric interests. They are like Yes for people who have an Ayn Rand poster by their bed.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
These kind of lists are so stupid to me, because music is highly subjective. A lot of the "great albums" I personally find unbearable, and would never want to subject myself to again.
The point isn't that all 1001 albums will be bangers. It's meant to introduce the listener to different genres and artists. Lots are mainstream pop affairs, but there's a lot of lesser known bands in there as well. I enjoy it for both music discovery as well as education/perspective/context of certain works.

1001 is a hell of an endeavor. Sounds interesting but do you skip songs you’re not feeling?! Can’t imagine sitting through 40-60 minutes of something that’s not at all for me. Bright side is you already found a new record worth owning so 😎
I'll be doing one a day so just shy of 3 years. I'm a music lover so I won't be skipping any tracks unless the work is really bad. I tend to have music streaming throughout the day anyway. You can absolutely skip tracks, albums, or entire genres if you want. I believe the set-up phase even allows you to disable genres.

So I'm allowed to die after finishing this?

Apparently, first is 2112 by Rush. Rush make me think of weirdly intense boomers with esoteric interests. They are like Yes for people who have an Ayn Rand poster by their bed.
Yeah, the list starts with the 1950s and goes through the 2000s. There's a lot of interesting stuff. I haven't entirely read through the book yet but I've seen some niche stuff in there as well as obvious Beatles, Stones etc.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Today's album is a bit of a treat for me. Otis' Redding's third album, Otis Blue (YT link for anyone interested). Redding is probably my favorite vocalist of all time. His voice just resonates in the depths of my soul. I've never actually sat down and listened extensively to his albums. I've just known the singles.

While listening to the album this morning, I decided to read the excerpt from the book and then the Wiki article.
Imagine being in the studio, recording this work with legends in a 24-hour span, only taking a break to go play some live gigs. Absolute legends.
Redding recorded the album with the Stax house band Booker T. & the M.G.'s (keyboardist/bandleader Booker T. Jones, guitarist Steve Cropper, bassist Donald "Duck" Dunn, drummer Al Jackson Jr.), Isaac Hayes on piano, and a horn section consisting of members of the Mar-Keys and the Memphis Horns. The album was largely recorded in a 24-hour session between 10 am on July 9 (a Saturday) and 2 pm on July 10, 1965, with a break from 8 pm Saturday to 2 am on Sunday to allow the house band to play local gigs.[6][7][8][9]

Otis_Redding.png

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
for me listening to Radiohead goes like this oh this song sounds ok, then after a while i start skipping ahead and it sounds like the same song
then too much gets me all
Michael C Hall Dexter GIF by Showtime
It's a mood for sure. But there's a lot going on if you listen critically.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
for me listening to Radiohead goes like this oh this song sounds ok, then after a while i start skipping ahead and it sounds like the same song
then too much gets me all
Michael C Hall Dexter GIF by Showtime
I find sad/depressing sounding music to actually make me happy, weirdly enough. Those songs often have some of the best lyrics or storytelling. Elliott Smith is a favorite of mine. The Decemberists once prompted someone in my family to tell me I listen to the most depressing shit. But just read these lyrics--they're amazing!

There's a place your mother goes
When everybody else is soundly sleeping
Through the lights of Beacon Street
And if you listen, you can hear her weeping

She's weeping

'Cause the gentlemen are calling
And the snow is softly falling on her petticoat
And she's standing in the harbor
And she's waiting for the sailors in the jolly boat

See how they approach

With dirty hands and trousers torn
They grapple 'till she's safe within their keeping
A gag is placed between her lips
To keep her sorry tongue from any speaking

Or screaming

And they row her out to packets
Where the sailors' sorry racket falls for maidenhead
And she's scarce above the gunwales
When her clothes fall to a bundle and she's laid in bed

On the upper deck

And so she goes from ship to ship
Her ankles clasped, her arms so rudely pinioned
'Till at last she's satisfied
The lot of the marina's teeming minions

In their opinions

And they tell her not to say a thing
To cousin, kindred, kith or kin or she'll end up dead
And they throw her thirty dollars
And return her to the harbor where she goes to bed

And this is how you're fed

So be kind to your mother
Though she may seem an awful bother
And the next time she tries to feed you collard greens
Remember what she does when you're asleep

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I find sad/depressing sounding music to actually make me happy, weirdly enough. Those songs often have some of the best lyrics or storytelling. Elliott Smith is a favorite of mine. The Decemberists once prompted someone in my family to tell me I listen to the most depressing shit. But just read these lyrics--they're amazing!

for me to relax me it's usually something heavy metal ish or Jazz depending on my mood

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
for me to relax me it's usually something heavy metal ish or Jazz depending on my mood
For sure. I listen to all sorts of stuff from pop, dance, metal, punk, prog rock, jazz, etc. Music is by far my favorite form of artistic expression. I'm happy to listen to just about anything except U2.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
For sure. I listen to all sorts of stuff from pop, dance, metal, punk, prog rock, jazz, etc. Music is by far my favorite form of artistic expression. I'm happy to listen to just about anything except U2.
the joshua tree wink GIF

what did bono ever do to you?

my favourite form of artistic expression for me is film. but I love how image and music work together.
movie wise I am more open to all sorts of films but music wise I am a bit pickier.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Glad to see you appreciated Loveless. That's an incredible album.

No doubt Disintegration by The Cure is on there. You should give that a listen if you get the chance. Probably my favorite album ever.

Wildebeest

Second album is Kendrick Lamar - good kid, bad city. I don't think I can do this. 1001 days of hate listening to full albums I just don't like is a tough ask. Could I just listen to albums I like instead, and let other people listen to these albums they like in peace?

spawn

If you like metal take a listen to the new Chelsea Grin Album Suffer in Heaven. It's a fuckin 10 out of 10

Most albums are hit and miss from the first track to the last. I couldn't stand flicking sequentially through that many albums/songs. Give me a per album shortlist of "hit" + "worth listening" + "something experimental" so I can skip all the garbage in between, 3 per album is a more curated experience and achieves far more than blind flicking/listening. Just my two cents.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Most albums are hit and miss from the first track to the last. I couldn't stand flicking sequentially through that many albums/songs. Give me a per album shortlist of "hit" + "worth listening" + "something experimental" so I can skip all the garbage in between, 3 per album is a more curated experience and achieves far more than blind flicking/listening. Just my two cents.
In the book they do give the just listen tracks noted by an arrow. Check that example screenshot in the OP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom