• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

101 things you didn't know about games

Capndrake

11. In the original arcade Donkey Kong game, Mario was called Jumpman and he was a carpenter, not a plumber.
I thought everybody knew this.

Besides that I knew 24, 28, 32, 33, 38, 48, 61, 72, 73, 81, 91, 93 and 101.

Sjoerd

87. Only 2000 or so units of Capcom’s hulking Steel Battalion, an Xbox game powered by a table-hogging 40-button controller, were released. There was a very limited follow-up run in the US, however.

That can't be right... I own that game and would be rich if there were only 2000 produced.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I'd disagree with #9. Seeing Virtua Fighter 2 in an X-files episode was definitely a strange cameo.

Raist

Banned
Darkpen said:
lol @ the name D:

Never heard of this game...

The boxart is... well duh

g01415mn8ym.jpg

wtf ?

Munin

Pizza Connection 2 (Was something like..."Fast Food Tycoon" in the US? Not sure) had a disc that smelled like oregano.

Darkpen

Banned
Raist said:
Never heard of this game...

The boxart is... well duh

g01415mn8ym.jpg

wtf ?
the name sounding too much like Ratchet and Clank was the point I was trying to get across, but yeah, wtf, lol. For some reason, though, I feel like I've seen that cover art somewhere before.... Like maybe in an old gaming magazine or something. I don't know, but it looks incredibly familiar.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PetriP-TNT said:
101. By exploiting a series of glitches, it’s possible to complete Super Mario 64 after collecting just one of the game’s 120 stars. Normally, you’re required to collect 70 of them.

This on the other hand, I consider false. Havent been following the TAS-scene of Mario 64 lately, so I dont know if 1 star run has been done, but it seems to be impossible. 16 stars on the other hand..

You're wrong, they're right

Station42

87. Only 2000 or so units of Capcom’s hulking Steel Battalion, an Xbox game powered by a table-hogging 40-button controller, were released. There was a very limited follow-up run in the US, however.

i have one ._.

jman2050

91. Before working for the company, former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi ran a taxi firm and even a ‘love hotel’ which rented rooms by the hour.

That's hilarious XD

Also, the 1-run M64 run has been done for a couple weeks now. Really interesting stuff. The only barrier left to a 0-star completion is bypassing the entrance to Dire Dire Docks.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Sjoerd said:
That can't be right... I own that game and would be rich if there were only 2000 produced.

wasnt the first print run like 15,000 IIRC?

i know i could get a copy under 100 bucks these days if i wanted to own it again. i sold mine after Line of Contact had such shitty netcode

so1337

91. Before working for the company, former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi ran a taxi firm and even a ‘love hotel’ which rented rooms by the hour.
I'm suprised and not suprised at the same time. :lol

X26

Banned
pretty cool list

One that always blew my mind: In the GTA games it's the environment that moves, not your character

...or was I lied to?

X26 said:
pretty cool list

One that always blew my mind: In the GTA games it's the environment that moves, not your character

...or was I lied to?
Moving a while world instead of a small polygon character? I would think thats wrong due to how much power it would take.

decon

17. Michael Jackson, in some form or other, has appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Ready 2 Rumble Round 2, Space Channel 5 1 & 2, GTA: Vice City and, obviously, Moonwalker.
Wha ? Does anyone have a picture of this stuff :S?
35. The very first Dynasty Warriors game was actually a one-on-one beat ‘em up.
DSC00952.jpg

Was actually a pretty good fighting game imo.

shuri

Banned
Gowans007 said:
6. Sega’s Space Channel 5 had a lawsuit brought against it by Lady Miss Kier, once a member of Deee-Lite, over similarities between her and lead character Ulala. She lost.
As much as I hate stupid lawsuits, she actually had a really good case. She was contacted by Sega for the game, and she refused to be featured in it. Ulala was a complete clone of her, even her name is from the opening of the Groove is in the Heart video.

border

14. First-person shooter Doom 3 contains a reference, found on an in-game PDA, to Brit sitcom The Office.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

29. Squat braniac Raz wasn’t always intended to be the lead character of Psychonauts. It had initially been an ostrich.

Or this?

Draft

15. Guy Cihi, who played James Sunderland in Silent Hill 2, is a high-powered venture capitalist who was unexpectedly cast while taking his daughter to audition for a different game.
That's kind of awesome.

M3wThr33

Banned
#22 always bothers me because it's not as if the game changed radically. The PUBLISHER changed. Rockstar San Diego was still developing it the entire time.

Sharp

PetriP-TNT said:
Some pretty new to me, about half rather old..

101. By exploiting a series of glitches, it’s possible to complete Super Mario 64 after collecting just one of the game’s 120 stars. Normally, you’re required to collect 70 of them.

This on the other hand, I consider false. Havent been following the TAS-scene of Mario 64 lately, so I dont know if 1 star run has been done, but it seems to be impossible. 16 stars on the other hand..
No, it's true. The run is crazy.

Alethea

Okay, right off the bat. How the fuck is distance measured in videogames?

Someone beat me to this, but yeah. It's based on proportions and comparisons to real life. It's kind of like how they used to measure things based on finger lengths, hand lengths, and so forth, prior to standardized measurement systems (which are, I think, based on the old body part measurement systems*).

* Insert crude joke of your choice here.

37. According to the Entertainment Software Association, the average US game player is 33 years old, and has been gaming for 12 years. Not in one session, we’re hoping.
The average gamer was born in 1974, but didn't bother with 2600, NES, SNES generations?

Salazar

In games that are not Mercenaries, those unlockable characters would blow my mind. Kudos to a game that can make that feature underwhelming. Need more Tomb Raider trivia - well, I more or less medically need a new Tomb Raider game, but trivia is good.

27. In the original Animal Crossing for Nintendo 64, unreleased outside of Japan, you have to input the time and date every time you boot up the game.

70. In the UK, Rayman is the bestselling PlayStation 1 game of all time.

95. Metropolis Street Racer was released a total of three times on Dreamcast, thanks to various game bugs.

96. Throughout the creation of Forza Motorsport 2, the development team racked up a total of 41 speeding tickets. Two licences were also revoked.

Awesome :lol

RobertM

42. David Hayter, the voice of Solid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid games, wrote the screenplay for the movie X-Men.

Woah nice, go Hayter!

Top Bottom