• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

101 things you didn't know about games

Zynx

GamesRadar said:
38. Former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi owns a majority share of the Seattle Marines baseball team, which is now managed by former Nintendo of America head, Howard Lincoln.
Failed: Research.
It was pushed onto (sold to) Nintendo - now that portion is owned by Nintendo.

Failed: Proofreading
"Marines"?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Zynx said:
Failed: Research.
It was pushed onto (sold to) Nintendo - now that portion is owned by Nintendo.

Failed: Proofreading
"Marines"?

Well, to be fair, they are British.

Spin

25. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind contains a secret talking crab tucked away on a small island, who’s also a trader.

Where is this crab? I never found him though I knew he existed.

tehbear

10. Bizarre PS2 RPG Metal Saga (unreleased in Europe) features an ending sequence you can access from the introductory cut-scene.

At first I thought I was picking my class... then... GAME OVER.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Gowans007 said:
100. Mega Man is blue thanks to the first format he appeared on – the NES – having a limited, blue-tinted selection of colours to display.

I think this one is wrong. Originally Mega Man was planned to be red. The creator changed his mind after somebody persuaded him to make him blue. The reason was because the NES had a limited red pallet, but featured more shades of blue.

I think...

Alcander

Extollere said:
I think this one is wrong. Originally Mega Man was planned to be red. The creator changed his mind after somebody persuaded him to make him blue. The reason was because the NES had a limited red pallet, but featured more shades of blue.

I think...
quit being a banana smuggler!

Extollere said:

I think...

I think you're just reading the quote wrong. It's essentially saying what you've said, there they had a "limited" palette, and it was more blue-oriented ("blue-tinted").

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Lé Blade Runner said:
Very cool list, with a couple of real surprises.

1-star Mario 64 run? Now *that* I want to see!
It's on youtube.
Running on an emulator with tons of glitches.

Pretty amazing.

Also, Earthbound had a scratch n sniff box right?
Or was it something in the box, I can't remember now and don't want to look for it.

Ogni-XR21

The soundtrack of Jet Set Radio contains a sample of a german slogan of an advertising campain for cigarettes.

"Wer wird den gleich in die Luft gehen, rauch erst mal eine HB!"

dallow_bg said:
It's on youtube.
Running on an emulator with tons of glitches.

Pretty amazing.

Also, Earthbound had a scratch n sniff box right?
Or was it something in the box, I can't remember now and don't want to look for it.

game guide

mollipen

shuri said:
As much as I hate stupid lawsuits, she actually had a really good case. She was contacted by Sega for the game, and she refused to be featured in it. Ulala was a complete clone of her, even her name is from the opening of the Groove is in the Heart video.

It was an homage to her, and didn't directly use her, her name, or anything connected with Deee-Lite in order to sell the product. The lawsuit was stupid, and she deserved to lose.

MisterHero

--Dan Hibiki has the most powerful Hyper Combo in Marvel vs. Capcom 2

--Dan's Premium Sign is also a Hyper Combo Finish

<3 Dan

--David Hayter is a double patriot: He voiced Captain America for the 90s Spider-man cartoons

--apperantly, Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime) was the voice of Mario on the CBS Supercade, and the first voice of Mario ever

--Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pauline were originally stand-ins for Popeye, Bluto and Olive Oyle

[/useless knowledge]

kennah

JoshuaJSlone said:
The average gamer was born in 1974, but didn't bother with 2600, NES, SNES generations?
For a lot of people the Playstation was their first experience with gaming.

kennah said:

Which is damn unfortunate. I personally bought my nephews the older consoles first (starting with the NES) and progressed them onward to the PS2/Gamecube era (with some emulators thrown in when their families got PCs). Now they're 15 and 11. I bought them both Wiis earlier this year.

kennah said:

I know that this is true, but I cannot imagine getting into gaming with the freaking Playstation. The idea is just depressing (and I say this as someone who loved his Playstation).

Rody

17. Michael Jackson, in some form or other, has appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Ready 2 Rumble Round 2, Space Channel 5 1 & 2, GTA: Vice City and, obviously, Moonwalker.

What.

This was an amusing article, and I bump the thread hoping for more nerdowledge. i know GAF can do it!

SuperAndroid17 said:
“Nintendo” translates as “Leave luck to heaven”.

, crazy

I misread it as "Leave DUCKS to heaven"!...(and then shoot them with your laser guns!)

Leondexter said:
Which is damn unfortunate. I personally bought my nephews the older consoles first (starting with the NES) and progressed them onward to the PS2/Gamecube era (with some emulators thrown in when their families got PCs). Now they're 15 and 11. I bought them both Wiis earlier this year.

So, you´re now trying to end their gaming habits?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wait in what way was micheal jackson in sonic 3?

You can hear snippets of his voice in the boss fights, and the Launch Base Zone.

And apparently, the themes for the Ice Cap Zone and the ending credits were MJ compositions.

Jasoco

Banned
Rlan said:
No, essentially most of the music in Sonic 3 was made by people who make Michael Jackson music, so the rumor goes that Michael was going to be involved but SEGA cut the deal once the charges came about.
Beat you to the punch.

Also, to clarify:

Carnival Zone = Jam
Ice Cap Zone = Who Is It?
Credits = Stranger in Moscow

Neomoto

Thanks for posting. I knew some of it but there are a couple of really interesting ones in it. Especially the 1 star Mario 64 run and the youtube link.. holy shit

"Possessing a copy of Manhunt in New Zealand is a criminal offence."
:lol

MisterHero said:
--Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pauline were originally stand-ins for Popeye, Bluto and Olive Oyle
Seriously? Where can I read more about this?

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
SonicMegaDrive said:
You can hear snippets of his voice in the boss fights, and the Launch Base Zone.

And apparently, the themes for the Ice Cap Zone and the ending credits were MJ compositions.
Well, that certainly explains why that theme has always been my favorite.

mclem

51. The inflated breast size of Lara Croft was the result of designer Toby Gard accidentally adjusting the model's chest to 150% its intended size and being persuaded by other designers working on the game that the ballooned boobs should stay.
Urban legend.

Joei

If anyone in here has read anything by British journalist/author Danny Wallace, then you might be familiar with "Join Me," both a book and sort of a. . . cult he started a few years back. Well, he went around a portion of England posting flyers to join him in like a club of nothing (not really nothing but don't feel like explaining). Anyways, I remember reading that a game developer who had in fact joined him (I think) had put some flyers in one of the games that he helped develop. They're actually in the game on walls and stuff saying, "Join Me" and refering back to Danny and his collective. I can't remember the game or developer, and the urge to research this more is fading, so, uh, yeah. . . just, um. . . anyone familiar with Danny Wallace?

EDIT - oh, and the list was pretty cool

psychodoodle said:
So, you´re now trying to end their gaming habits?

Har de har har. Actually, it's gotten their parents to play, also. My younger nephew gets to play on their large television now, instead of usually having to use the tiny LCD screen I bought him. And now my big sister plays Guitar Hero as well, and her husband has gotten into my older nephew's PS2 game collection (was playing Burnout last night when I talked to her).

See, Wii brings gaming to the masses!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
There's a voice sample embedded deep within Front Mission (SFC) that, when plays backwards, says "ni**er" in a British accent.

Top Bottom