• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Best Third Person Shooters of This Generation You NEED To Play

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The 8th console generation is almost at its end- at the very least, it's no longer the "current" console generation. And like many other genres, third person shooters have had a good last 6 or 7 years, having seen the releases of several great games that will be remembered as genre highlights for years to come. In this feature, we're going to tank what we feel are the fifteen best third person shooters of the PS4 and Xbox One era.

We do want to make one crucial note before we begin though- our primary consideration while formulating and ranking this list hasn't been to judge these games as complete experiences, but rather to focus primarily on their shooting mechanics, and their strengths as third person shooters. If you see games in this list that you think are ranked too low or too high (which will probably happen), keep that crucial factor in mind.

15. Ghost Recon Wildlands
14. Ratchet and Clank (2016)
13. The Last of Us 2
12. Fortnite
11. Mass Effect Andromeda
10. Splatoon 2
9. Risk of Rain 2
8. Quantum Break
7. Resident Evil 2 (remake)
6. Control
5. The Division 2
4. Metal Gear Solid 5
3. Remnant from the Ashes
2. Gears of War 5
1. Uncharted 4

Last edited:
People who played far superior original tittle. Remake is seriously dumb down version of that.
And if u actually liked characters and story from the original the way remake is written is fucking insulting.
The original is literally a dumbed down version of every other mainline ratchet and clank game. The bread and butter of the games, the upgrade system, is almost non-existent original game. I wanna know one aspect of the gameplay that you think is better in the original.

Edit: After watching some cutscenes the humor definitely seems worse, but I still stand by everything else in the game being better and the 2016 game being the superior title.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
video is focusing on shooting mechanics with some of my comments below

1. uncharted 4, a thief's end (great game)
  2. gears 5
  3. last of us part 2 (I've not played it but apparently everyone says 'fuck you neil cuckman?')
  4. metal gear solid 5 (well made for an open world style game, i was impressed)
  5. the division 2
  6. control
  7. resident evil 2, 2019
  8. quantum break (lol, they made a tv show for it)
  9. risk of rain 2
  10. splatoon 2 (paintball fun)
  11. mass affect andromeda (i liked the original, not played this one)
  12. fortnite (ah, that's hot)
  13. remnant from the ashes
  14. ratchet and clank, 2016 (i really liked this game)
  15. ghost recon wildlands

johntown

Banned
15. Ghost Recon Wildlands
14. Ratchet and Clank (2016)
13. The Last of Us 2
12. Fortnite
11. Mass Effect Andromeda
10. Splatoon 2
9. Risk of Rain 2
8. Quantum Break
7. Resident Evil 2 (remake)