• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Films to See in October (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The-Handmaiden-620x413.jpg

With only a few months left to go in the year, if you're around our home base, you can experience some of the best films of 2016 (and 2017) at New York Film Festival. However, if you happen not to be anywhere close, there's still a handful of must-see films spooling out over the next four weeks, and we've collected our top 15 picks. Aside from some of our favorites this year, we should note that a restoration of the landmark drama The Battle of Algiers will begin a nationwide roll-out starting on October 7, so seek that out if it's playing near you.

Check out our recommendations below and let us know what you are most looking forward to seeing.

15. Fire at Sea (Gianfranco Rosi; Oct. 21)

Fire-at-Sea-1-620x349.jpg

Synopsis: Capturing life on the Italian island of Lampedusa, a frontline in the European migrant crisis.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: After winning Venice's Golden Lion a few years back with his documentary Sacro GRA, director Gianfranco Rosi also took the top prize at this year's Berlin Film Festival, the Golden Bear, for his new feature Fire at Sea. While our review was in the rare minority on the mixed-to-negative side, it's been positive elsewhere, so we're intrigued to see what's in store for Italy's official Oscar entry.

14. Christine (Antonio Campos; Oct. 14)

Christine-1-620x352.png

Synopsis: In 1974, a female TV news reporter aims for high standards in life and love in Sarasota, Fla, and missing her mark is not an option.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: It may not measure to another Chubbuck-related feature from earlier this year, but seeing these two movies virtually back-to-back at Sundance Film Festival was quite an experience. I said in my review, "Hall, in one of her best performances, embodies Christine with searing intensity, staring blankly while her co-workers offer simple questions and in one remarkable scene, puzzling a woman offering many different solutions to help her situation. Her initially nervous energy eventually evolves into verbal explosions at her mother (J. Smith-Cameron) and Michael, placing the blame on them for her current social and professional roadblocks, respectively."

13. Newtown (Kim A. Snyder; Oct. 7)

Newtown-5-620x348.jpg

Synopsis: A look at how the community of Newtown, Connecticut came together in the aftermath of the largest mass shooting of schoolchildren in American history.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: When the worst horror imaginable happens to your community, how do you emotionally rebuild? How do you embrace your neighbor, knowing the pain that's seared into their soul? How does one come to a place of resolution, if ever? With Newtown, director Kim A. Snyder takes a humanistic approach in exploring this recovery in the aftermath of the deadliest mass shooting of schoolchildren in United States history, which left 26 people, including 20 children, dead. Read my full review,

12. Under the Shadow (Babak Anvari; Oct. 7)

Under-the-Shadow-1-620x349.jpg

Synopsis: As a mother and daughter struggle to cope with the terrors of the post-revolution, war-torn Tehran of the 1980s, a mysterious evil begins to haunt their home.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Earning comparisons to The Babadook, Under the Shadow will finally arrive just in time in Halloween and looks to be the perfect fit if Hollywood horror isn't up to snuff this month. We said in our review, "Cinema is often a space for abstract, subconscious expressions that require airing. Under The Shadow is an inspired psychological thriller from Iranian filmmaker Babak Anvari that effectively delivers the thrills expected, and more. Here, the horror is both personal and natural. It's a theme found amongst a few world cinema selections at Sundance this year, notably the cancer drama A Good Wife, which also uses the landscape of the war torn Bosnia as an emotional theme."

11. Tower (Keith Maitland; Oct. 12)

Tower-2-620x353.png

Synopsis: Nearly fifty years ago, a gunman rode the elevator to the twenty-seventh floor of the University of Texas Tower and opened fire. Tower, an animated and action-packed documentary, shares the untold story of that day - when the worst in one man brought out the best in so many others.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Finding an intriguing way to revisit a tragedy, we said in our review, "Utilizing an engaging mix of newly filmed footage rotoscoped à la Waking Life, archival materials, and interviews, Tower employs a verbatim style to capture the harrowing events of August 1, 1966, in which a sniper opened fire at the University of Texas, killing 16 and wounding 32 others. Almost never referring to the shooter by name, director Keith Maitland captures the terror of the day told through newsreel footage and animated sections, following several key figures of the drama, including a young pregnant undergrad Claire Wilson, her unborn baby, and her boyfriend, Tom Eckman, who were the first to lose their lives that day.

10. The Eagle Huntress (Otto Bell; Oct. 28)

The-Eagle-Huntress1-620x349.jpg

Synopsis: Aisholpan, a 13-year-old girl, trains to become the first female in twelve generations of her Kazakh family to become an eagle hunter.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: For seven generations, the men of Nurgaiv's family have mastered the art of eagle hunting, a tradition in western Mongolia that goes back some 2,000 years. For the Kazakh people of the Altai region, it is a practice that is not only crucial to their survival in the remote area, but also a badge of honor and expertise in the long-held tradition. Inspired by her father, Nurgaiv's daughter Aisholpan has taken an avid interest in the craft with hopes of tearing down the boundaries of cultural sexism and becoming the titular, first-ever The Eagle Huntress. In capturing her passion, her family's encouragement, and the societal roadblocks ahead of her to overcome, director Otto Bell has created an empowering, gorgeously shot documentary. Read my full review.

9. Mascots (Christopher Guest; Oct. 13)

Mascots-e1472007588408-620x350.png

Synopsis: A look into the world of competitive mascots.

Trailer

Why You Should See ItBest in Show and Waiting for Guffman director Christopher Guest is finally back to feature filmmaking for the first time in a decade with his new, Netflix-distributed comedy Mascots. Set in the world of competitive mascots, it premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival to a good response, and features Parker Posey, Bob Balaban, Jane Lynch, Jennifer Coolidge, Ed Begley Jr., and Fred Willard. Guest already directed one of the century's best comedies, and this has the makings of being another.

8. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (Edward Zwick; Oct. 21)

Jack-Reacher-Never-Go-Back-620x344.png

Synopsis: Jack Reacher must uncover the truth behind a major government conspiracy in order to clear his name. On the run as a fugitive from the law, Reacher uncovers a potential secret from his past that could change his life forever.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: While it didn't reach his outings as Ethan Hunt, Jack Reacher's $200 million-plus gross was enough for Paramount to greenlight a sequel. As Christopher McQuarrie has now been put on Mission: Impossible duty (and doing a mighty fine job to boot), director Edward Zwick has stepped in to make the sequel. This time around, the adventure, based on Lee Child's 18th book, finds our lead and Cobie Smulders' new character on the run. As a major fan of the no-frills '70s / '80s vibe in the first film, we hope Zwick continues that here.

7. Justin Timberlake + The Tennessee Kids (Jonathan Demme; Oct. 12)

Justin-Timberlake-1-620x346.png

Synopsis: The final performance of Justin Timberlake and the Tennessee Kids' 20/20 Experience World Tour, filmed in 2015 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: After he returned to the world of music for a narrative drama with last year's (overlooked) Ricki and the Flash, director Jonathan Demme is back on the stage in Stop Making Sense mode with Justin Timberlake + The Tennessee Kids. Capturing the pop star's The 20/20 Experience tour during their Las Vegas stop, Netflix picked up the film for a release this month. We said in our review, "Timberlake still does what he does, and the show seems easily amongst the upper echelon of touring pop-stars, so it’s not like the experience doesn’t go down easy, even if it feels like somewhat of a missed opportunity to genuinely enter the mind of this sort of stardom."

6. Aquarius (Kleber Mendonça Filho; Oct. 21)

Aquarius-2-e1464018681583-620x350.jpg

Synopsis: Clara, a 65-year-old widow and retired music critic, vows to live in her apartment until she dies after a developer buys all of the units around her.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: One of the most visually resplendent films of the fall -- not to mention featuring one of the best performances, from Sônia Braga -- Aquarius is well worth your time. We said in our review from Cannes, The staggeringly accomplished debut feature by Brazilian critic-turned-director Kleber Mendonça Filho, Neighboring Sounds, announced the arrival of a remarkable new talent in international cinema. Clearly recognizable as the work of the same director, Mendonça’s equally assertive follow-up, Aquarius, establishes his authorial voice as well as his place as one of the most eloquent filmic commentators on the contemporary state of Brazilian society."

5. 13th (Ava DuVernay; Oct. 7)

The-13th-620x329.png

Synopsis: An in-depth look at the prison system in the United States and how it reveals the nation's history of racial inequality.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: For the first time ever, a non-fiction film opened the New York Film Festival (to great acclaim, too), and the rest of us will thankfully be able to see it soon as it lands on Netflix this week. Ava DuVernay's timely follow-up to Selma chronicles the history of racial inequality in the United States as it pertains to the prison system. We can't imagine a more vital watch this fall, particularly during this election year.

4. The Handmaiden (Park Chan-wook; Oct. 21)

The-Handmaiden-1-e1471881109532-620x350.jpg

Synopsis: A woman is hired as a handmaiden to a Japanese heiress, but secretly she is involved in a plot to defraud her.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: After spending time over here with his English-language debut Stoker, Park Chan-wook is back with The Handmaiden. One of the most dazzling directorial efforts of the year, it's a lavish, sumptuous delight from the first to last frame. We said in our review, "Those familiar with Park’s earlier work will know that he’s hardly the most subtle of filmmakers, and his approach to gender politics here is risible, even self-contradictory. His customary prowess as a stylist and knack for constructing and navigating intricate plots, on the other hand, is once again put to good use."

3. Voyage of Time: The IMAX Experience (Terrence Malick; Oct. 7)

Voyage-of-Time-4-1-620x336.png

Synopsis: An exploration into our planetary past and a search for humanity's place in the future.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Although I haven't seen the 90-minute Life's Journey version yet (our Venice review), which will arrive next year, there's a lot to admire in this 45-minute cut. Aside from being stunned by every shot, I found Malick's framing device to be affecting. The introductory text is omniscient and Brad Pitt's narration is inquisitive, then Malick's recurring cuts to a child place the entire journey as if we're seeing it through their eyes. It's a humbling perspective to behold as we elegantly glide through, well, everything, strengthened by the staggering clarity in each frame. Malick's entire career has been showing the beauty all around us, but Voyage of Time is his most direct plea that we don't take it for granted. Ultimately, it strikes the difficult balance of making one feel infinitesimal and integral at the same time.

2. Moonlight (Barry Jenkins; Oct. 21)

Moonlight-1-e1472007515301-620x350.jpg

Synopsis: Chronicles the life of a young black man from childhood to adulthood as he struggles to find his place in the world while growing up in a rough neighborhood of Miami.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: The rare film in which a glance says more than the entire script of most other movies, Moonlight is textured, intimate, and powerful. One of our favorites of TIFF, we said in our review, "Each actor brilliantly highlights his/her moment of recognition, each left defenseless to refute his/her truth. Hypocrisy ultimately grounds us because without it we'd prove as vile as our mistakes."

1. Certain Women (Kelly Reichardt; Oct. 14)

Certain-Women-6-e1475443933504-620x352.jpg

Synopsis: The lives of three women intersect in small-town America, where each is imperfectly blazing a trail.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: The cinema of Kelly Reichardt lives in quiet, tender observations with deeply rooted characters and location. Even when adding a thriller element as with her last feature, the overlooked Night Moves, her style is never compromised. Her latest feature, Certain Women, is a loosely connected three-part drama adapted from the short stories of Maile Meloy. It's perhaps the purest distillation of her sensibilities yet as she patiently explores the longing for human connection in a world where men too often get prioritized. Read my full review.

Matinees to See: The Greasy Strangler (10/7), The Girl on the Train (10/7), Being 17 (10/7), The Birth of a Nation (10/7), Blue Jay (10/7), The Alchemist Cookbook (10/7), Shin Godzilla (10/7), The Accountant (10/14), Desierto (10/14), Miss Hokusai (10/14), Little Sister (10/14), Sky Ladder (10/14), American Pastoral (10/21), In a Valley of Violence (10/21), Before the Flood (10/21), Portrait of a Garden (10/25), Gimme Danger (10/28)

Full list

• Asura: The City of Madness (CJ) - 10/7
• The Battle of Algiers (2016) (Rialto) - 10/7
• Being 17 (Strand) - 10/7
• The Birth of a Nation (FoxS) - 10/7
• Blinky Bill (Shout!) - 10/7
• Blue Jay (Orch.) - 10/7
• The Girl on the Train (2016) (Uni.) - 10/7
• The Greasy Strangler (FR) - 10/7
• Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life (LGF) - 10/7
• Mirzya (Cinestaan) - 10/7
• Phantasm: Remastered (WGUSA) - 10/7
• Torchbearer (ArcEnt) - 10/7
• Under the Shadow (VE) - 10/7
• Voiceless (AAE) - 10/7
• Voyage of Time: The IMAX Experience (Imax) - 10/7
• Shin Godzilla (FUN) - 10/11
• The Accountant (WB) - 10/14
• Certain Women (IFC) - 10/14
• Desierto (STX) - 10/14
• Kevin Hart: What Now? (Uni.) - 10/14
• La Leyenda del Chupacabras (PNT) - 10/14
• Max Steel (ORF) - 10/14
• Maya Angelou and Still I Rise (ArcEnt) - 10/14
• Miss Hokusai (GK) - 10/14
• Priceless (2016) (RAtt.) - 10/14
• Search Engines (Indic.) - 10/14
• Shadow World (TriCoast) - 10/14
• American Pastoral (LGF) - 10/21
• Autumn Lights (Free) - 10/21
• Boo! A Madea Halloween (LGF) - 10/21
• Fire at Sea (KL) - 10/21
• Good Kids (INDEP) - 10/21
• The Handmaiden (Magn.) - 10/21
• I'm Not Ashamed (PFR) - 10/21
• In a Valley of Violence (FCW) - 10/21
• Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (Par.) - 10/21
• Keeping Up with the Joneses (Fox) - 10/21
• Moonlight (2016) (A24) - 10/21
• Ouija: Origin of Evil (Uni.) - 10/21
• We Are X (Drft.) - 10/21
• Oasis: Supersonic (A24) - 10/26
• Recovery (Orion) - 10/27
• Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (FIP) - 10/28
• The Eagle Huntress (SPC) - 10/28
• Gimme Danger (Magn.) - 10/28
• Inferno (Sony) - 10/28
• New Life (Argentum) - 10/28
• The Unspoken (Pala.) - 10/28

What are you watching this month?

dukeoflegs

I'm going to go see Godzilla if the cinebarre near me gets it. After going to a cinebarre I'm not going back to regular theater.

I can vouch for that top pick. I caught Certain Women at TIFF and it's one of the best movies I've seen all year.

I was not able to catch Moonlight, so I'm excited to finally see that. Aquarius sounds great, too.

Cruise Missile is a no-brianer (though I don't have nearly as much faith in Zwick as I would McQuarrie).

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Never head of Newtown. Sounds like a GAF thread that would immediately be locked. Can't imagine anyone wanting to watch that.

overcast

The Handmaiden, Moonlight, and Certain Women are musts for me. Voyage of Time maybe, not sure if i'll like it or throw up.

They're showing The Evil Dead trilogy near me. So that too.

Toothless

Definitely:

Shin Godzilla
Jack Reacher 2
Gravity IMAX 3D re-release
The 13th

Hopefully:

Moonlight
The Handmaiden

Hate-watch:

Inferno

Didn´t realize that Rings had been moved to February, seems like a stupid idea. That movie might have had competition with Ouija but it would still be better to release it near Halloween.
It´s been 11 years since the last one, no one really cares about it.
February isn´t even a better date as it releases one week after the last Resident Evil, the same week as the sequel to Trainspotting and apparently an unnamed Bloomhouse horror movie and the following week it will face John Wick 2, Fifty Shades 2 and Lego Batman.
They most have 0 confidence on the movie to have moved it 4 times already and being afraid that Ouija 2 would steal most of their audience.

Blader

Moonlight
13th
Into the Inferno
Shin Godzilla (but will probably wait for blu)
Voyage of Time (if it opens in an IMAX near me)

Any buzz on The Accountant yet?

Feeling conflicted on The Birth of a Nation...I generally try to make an effort to separate the artist from the art, and was set to watch this, but Parker's recent interviews where he refused to apologize to the victim and pretended as if he were falsely accused really has me reconsidering.

Do Not Resist is coming back to LA for a week this month, so I'm going to see it.

GAF Thread 1
GAF Thread 2

Film synopsis:

An urgent and powerful exploration of the rapid militarization of the police in the United States. Starting on the streets of Ferguson, Missouri, as the community grapples with the death of Michael Brown, DO NOT RESIST– the directorial debut of Detropia cinematographer Craig Atkinson – offers a stunning look at the current state of policing in America and a glimpse into the future. The Tribeca Film Festival winner for Best Documentary puts viewers in the center of the action – from a ride-along with a South Carolina SWAT team and inside a police training seminar that teaches the importance of “righteous violence” to the floor of a congressional hearing on the proliferation of military equipment in small-town police departments – before exploring where controversial new technologies, including predictive policing algorithms, could lead the field next.

Shin Godzilla needs to be seen on the big screen. It is beautiful.

Same goes for Phantasm Remastered.

Greasy Strangler is a lot of fun, too.

UberTag

My comments on some of these films from last month's movie discussion thread...

The Birth of a Nation - The most controversial film of this year's festival circuit, this movie felt like 12 Years a Slave crossed with the anime series, Shiki. This was a true tour de force by Nate Parker both in front of and behind the camera but I can't help but feel the story he was trying to tell was a little lacking and the resolution was a mite over-the-top and heavy-handed. That said, while 12 Years is easily a better film, I did appreciate the absence of its out of place theatrical monologuing. 6.5/10
Christine - Rebecca Hall turned out what is probably my favorite performance from any movie this year with this biopic on the on-screen suicide of newscaster Christine Chubbuck. It certainly doesn't hurt that she came off as a real-life incarnation of Daria Morgendorffer getting progressively more unbalanced and unhinged until the fateful moment in the film's climax. She seems to effortlessly juggle the dramatic heft of the scenes thrust upon her and it doesn't hurt that she's bolstered by a capable supporting cast - most notably Michael C. Hall and Tracy Letts (impressing the hell out of me for the second time this week).

This is an Oscar-worthy performance that may not even land a nomination thanks to the competitive nature of that category this year. She's better than Portman's Jackie, Negga's Mildred, Streep's Florence, Adams' Susan and Stone's Mia. Only Isabelle Huppert's Michèle in Elle gives it a run for its money. 8/10
Aquarius - This was a well-acted but largely unfocused effort shouldered by an outstanding performance courtesy of Brazilian veteran Sonia Braga. I'm not sure a battle of wills between the sole remaining tenant of an apartment complex and a real estate developer needed close to 2 1/2 hours of material or an expansive 3-act structure (which seemed to be the theme of the day) but it was still watchable thanks to Braga even though the story beats seemed to get recycled endlessly. 7/10

The Handmaiden - I'm not sure what I was expecting from Chan-wook Park's first combined writing/directorial effort since 2009's Thirst (and only his third since wrapping up his famous Vengeance trilogy) but I know I wasn't expecting such a visually arresting period thriller. The production design on display is award-worthy. Not only that but I haven't seen this much female-on-female eroticism on screen since Blue is the Warmest Color. Not that I'm complaining at all.

This felt like a live-action smutty seinen manga... the kind that don't get animated because they dare to have a plot. The consistent fusion of both Japanese and Korean dialogue reinforced this perception and, while this film is unabashedly trashy and the way the plot played out was wholly predictable, it was still a thoroughly enthralling movie from beginning to end with a mystery that peeled away like an onion and didn't feel lengthy in the slightest - although it may well feel shorter in certain markets upon release thanks to some expected censorship (which was thankfully absent from this cut). 9/10
Moonlight - This is one hell of a special cinematic achievement. The fact that this film exists at all is a minor miracle but that it has wound up impeccably flawless is quite another. This is a coming of age character study that is long overdue and I say that as a straight white male.

There is such sensitivity exuded in all of the performances... most notably from Mahershala Ali in Act 1, Jharrel Jerome in Act 2, Trevante Rhodes and André Holland in Act 3 and Naomie Harris all the way through all merit praise. But, most deservedly, that credit belongs to director Barry Jenkins without whom this film would not exist.

This will be the best reviewed film of the year. It would be the favorite to win Best Picture already if not for a certain musical romance that doubles as a love letter to Hollywood and old school cinema from years gone past. 9.5/10 (FYI, I don't give out perfect 10s until I get to revisit a film for a 2nd screening.)
Certain Women - I'm not sure what the point of this movie was. Movies where nothing of consequence happens are fine provided that the characters are funny or compelling. Take Paterson as a good example of this.

Conversely, none of these characters were all that interesting. I understand that this was largely by design and these performances were all understated to a fault but I need some intangibles to latch on to in order to be invested as a viewer and those were sorely lacking here. I'll remember Lily Gladstone's rancher and her one-sided romance but that's about it. 5/10
Yeah, Certain Women left me cold. That perception hasn't changed in the weeks since I screened it, either. It's wholly disposable and was the 2nd time at TIFF I found myself disappointed with Michelle Williams.

I'll be catching Under the Shadow during its Toronto After Dark festival screening next week. Can't wait for that one.

I'll scope out Mascots on Netflix but I'm not expecting much from it aside from a rehashed pale imitation of better mock competition flicks that Guest has put out before. Conversely, I'm super-excited to catch The 13th in its Netflix run... seems to be the likely front-runner for this year's Documentary Oscar.

I'm not expecting much from the Jack Reacher sequel or Zwick. I've already come to terms with the fact that he'll never top Glory.

Hope to catch Miss Hokusai at some point. Probably won't be happening in October, though.

Gravity IMAX 3D re-release
This is something that's happening? Ooooh... I'm excited.
I wonder if any of these theatres are getting it back in D-BOX. If there's any film that makes D-BOX worthwhile instead of a pointless gimmick, it's that one.

Platy

Funny to see so much praise for Aquarius considering the mess that it was the "what movie should we send to oscar" thing here in brazil because the aquarius makers were pretty against the impeachment of the president so a movie that was not even suppose to start in theaters in time to be avaliable for oscar was selected instead and had ONE theatre showing it for a week to be avaliable

Platy

No superhero movie this month?

UK, France, Italy, Poland, Australia, Germany and other countries have Doctor Strange on 25/27/28 of october ... the rest of the world (including my country and USA) is at the first week of november

Amirnol

I saw The Handmaiden recently and let me tell you, it is amazing. I loved it. Park Chan-wook is really becoming one of my favorite filmmakers.

Vic_Viper

Shin Godzilla, Jack Reacher, and Inferno are must sees for me. The Girl on the Train also looks really good.

Wasnt the Arrival coming out this month too?

Ridley327

Shin Godzilla, Jack Reacher, and Inferno are must sees for me. The Girl on the Train also looks really good.

Wasnt the Arrival coming out this month too?

I think they pushed it back ever so slightly to next month in exchange for a wider release strategy.

If I could watch some of these must watch movies, I would, but I don't have an art house theatre or much in the way of streaming options here.

I will be going to see The Accountant, and I may go see The Girl on the Train because it intrigues me. It's just too bad reviews are middling.

I like and am a sucker for horror movies, but I don't think I'll even bother with Ouija 2. I couldn't get past the opening of the first one.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
There is actually a lot I want to see this month.

They'll be having Taxi Driver up on the big screen,

Moonlight and Handmaiden both look wonderful.

I didn't know Ava's next film was coming out.

And new Godzilla ^_^

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Saw Shin Godzilla last night. I encourage you to see it in the theater, if only because it'll be a very hard movie to pay full attention to if there are any distractions around you. It was good to see it in a theater with nothing dividing my attention, because the meeting and talk-while-walking-to-meeting scenes are endless. It's like Aaron Sorkin's Godzilla in places.

Decado

The Handmaiden for sure at some point.

The Accountant if it is a good action thriller.

Nothing else stands out except Jack Reacher which my gf I'm sure will want to see.

nampad

Watched The Handmaiden with my girlfriend.
As a Chan Wook Park fan, I wasn't disappointed. The movie had great suspense and the 3 acts where all beautiful.

My girlfriend also liked it although the movie had some serious sexual scenes she disapproved of.
I also have to say that one of the later violent scenes could have been not that graphical. Made it difficult to watch with my squeamish girlfriend.

If I could watch some of these must watch movies, I would, but I don't have an art house theatre or much in the way of streaming options here.

I will be going to see The Accountant, and I may go see The Girl on the Train because it intrigues me. It's just too bad reviews are middling.

I like and am a sucker for horror movies, but I don't think I'll even bother with Ouija 2. I couldn't get past the opening of the first one.

Most of these are showing up at the London Film Festival, but don't know how far you are from central london.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom