• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

17 months after launch, Xbox Series X/S is on track to outsell Xbox 360

anthony2690

Banned

M16

If the numbers are near accurate it’ll defo hit 85m lifetime IMO. Sony will be close to or will hit 120m again. Everyone wins and free reach arounds for everyone on GAF.
so series will sell the same as the 360, even though its selling at 35% higher to date, and playstation will sell the same amount, even though its selling less than ps4 and more people are instead buying xbox s/x(hence the xbox s/x increases).
yeah ok.

In b4 complete disregard because of VGChartz.

MS should really consider releasing official numbers once a quarter.

It's kinda fair though because almost everyone regardless of console preference has questioned VGChartz in the past, especially when their estimates were WAY off compared to others like Zhuge.

Agreed tho, MS should really release official sold-through numbers once a quarter or at least with each FY financial report, especially if they're trending ahead of 360. Why would you not post those especially if it would draw in more investors or boost stock valuations?

I really don't care in all honesty.
I can just imagine that Greenberg knows how well the series S/X is doing.
& Digging up a decade old tweet is pretty sad though.

The issue is MS won't come out and provide official sold-through numbers, which is odd considering they are tracking healthily ahead of 360 (their best gen sales-wise by far) as per VGChartz are claiming.

There are a lot of would-be investors and stock boosts just waiting on official claims to match those of an outside source like VGChartz, so if the actual numbers match up why don't MS just put them out there officially? I think it's fair to ask that question.

We know from more reputable sources that it was over 12 million January this year, not surprising if it's reached ~2 million more since then.

It might even be higher than VGChartz's estimate.

Now see, this is where things get really tricky. Because I did a little look-up a while ago on 360 global sales in that time frame and they were a bit north of 10 million. Microsoft's 12 million was shipped, or sold-in, not sold-through. You could assume most of those had sold through but whenever sold-in is used there is always some chunk of those systems in the distribution chain that have not been sold through to customers yet.

We don't get hard sale numbers from NPD on console sales but we do from the UK and Japan markets. If we knew how many systems in total were being shipped to those regions then we could work out what percentage of sold-in is actually sold-through. And I know it might sound stupid to make the distinction but it's important because if there's ever too many systems sitting in the distribution chain, retailers will cut down their orders, meaning less systems get manufactured per quarter. You don't want to end up channel-stuffing, basically.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I really don't care in all honesty.
I can just imagine that Greenberg knows how well the series S/X is doing.
& Digging up a decade old tweet is pretty sad though.

That decade old tweet is just as accurate today. VGChartz has "no source and no science behind the #'s". I'm sure you are right that Greenberg does know the numbers. So why doesn't he just share them instead of retweeting crappy guesses from vgchartz?

Fitzchiv

Even though I’m not a fan of the Series S at all, I have to admit it’s such a genius idea.
The thing people sometimes overlook is the Series S is allowing some people a near-enough next gen experience who otherwise wouldn't have one. That's a big deal. I've been the kid whose parents haven't been able to afford the latest console when brand new out, and this is a game changer.

Last edited:

Vasto

The domination continues.

Phil Davis Mma GIF by Bellator

Corndog

Banned
I never disputed it is selling more than 360.
There is the claim that is true.

"at this point... sold more of this generation of Xboxes, which is Xbox Series X and S, than we had any previous version of Xboxes."

But not data.
If you go read the claim you will understand that Series was at least over all others Xbox in sales after 13 month already... that makes the OP claim even more innacurate.
The only reason you are even commenting is it’s positive Xbox news. You have to find something to turn it into a negative.

The thing people sometimes overlook is the Series S is allowing some people a near-enough next gen experience who otherwise wouldn't have one. That's a big deal. I've been the kid whose parents haven't been able to afford the latest console when brand new out, and this is a came changer.

Well the big fear with Series S is that it'd of ended up being Microsoft's 32X. Thankfully they've managed to avoid that due to the GDK and game dev just being a shitton easier these days at the high-end (meaning much less programmer work with low-level assembly per system).

That's prevented any severe software library split, or customer double-dipping on software, or developer code fracturing either (due to GDK). Though we still don't know the full ramifications of MS's dual-console approach when it comes to developer programming complications, and need more time in the generation to know for sure. If it will limit certain game design options due to some things not being as scalable as others, etc. I think we'll start to see first real indications towards affirming or dismissing those concerns with next-gen only games like Starfield, Hellblade II, the next Forza Motorsport etc.

Kokoloko85

They literally just tweeted that they try their best to make estimates with limited data.

You can’t be accurate with that.

Yeah but a good few times theyve said ps5 has sold x amout of numbers and then it gets officially announced PS5 has sold x amount a few days or week later. They’ve been correct with PS4 and PS5 numbers.
Im not saying always but they have been decent too

Kokoloko85

Here is what i got by doing a search for it

Worldwide:
  • 24 hours: 1 million units sold
  • 18 days: 2 million units sold
  • December 31, 2013: 3 million sold/3.9 million shipped
  • April 17, 2014: 5 million units shipped
  • October 2014: Nearing 10 million shipped
  • January 2016: approximately 18 million activated
boVCisD.png

I think Xbox One also sold around 13million around the 17 month mark.
Didnt know Xbox One also sold more than the 360 at the same time frame
PS5 is down like 4 million compared to PS4. Stock issues has messed everyone up
My poor beloved Wii U lol

Last edited:
These kinds of comparisons are frankly pretty stupid.

There are millions more gamers now than there were in the 360 days, OG xbox days or PS1 days. Even stupid boasts like PS5 outselling PS3 is stupid. The only true comparisons of consoles was the Wii and PS2 as both had mass adoption by the mass market because of features outside of gaming; sports/exercise and a DVD player respectively.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and with an opening statement like yours you are probably in the wrong thread
Why. Already planning on buying Starfield especially if its play anywhere. Pump out more western RPG and i'll buy em. Obviously xone gen has been a lost cause (look at 2016 -2019) but if series x/s are on track for 80+ million lifetime then ms will keep on funneling money into games like back in the early x360 days. Alan Wake, PGR, Gears, getting Oblivion, Bioshock, Mass Effect first. Seems ms only does it when they perceived to be "winning".

MOTM

Banned
This is so sketchy and confusing. Microsoft doesn't provide official sold-through numbers themselves, and this very forum (among many others) have questioned VGChartz's credibility multiple times in the past for sometimes having "not quite right" estimates...yet now they are somehow verified as an accurate website by Aaron Greenburg retweeting them on providing numbers based on estimates that on MS's end are based on sold-in (to retailers) because Microsoft does not provide sold-through numbers of their own?

But...Aaron works for Microsoft so he would know the actual sold-through numbers? And if he's retweeting VGChartz's numbers then shouldn't Microsoft themselves also provide official numbers of sold-through globally, or are they afraid that will set people to expect them to do so regularly going forward? At the same time, if the Series systems are really tracking ahead sold-through over 360, wouldn't you as a corporation feel good enough about that and future projected sales to just put the numbers out there officially to shut down any doubts for good?

Other than that, I'm not going to pretend Series aren't doing well. However I think all of these claims come with some big grains of salt. IIRC the 360 was also supply-constrained for a bit and it took a little bit for supply to start catching up with demand (which was ever-growing over the months and then really picked up when Halo 3, Gears, Mass Effect, etc. were shown and about to be released combined with Sony's E3 disaster for PS3). And IMHO; if 360 had supply to match demand in its first 17 months, I think the numbers would be to the effect where Series would not be trending ahead of it sales-wise. 360's early library from 2005 - 2007 just looked a lot stronger on the 1P & 3P AAA side compared to what Series have had, for what's been released so far. Not to mention, 360 also had a cheaper model (with the same specs processing-wise) and an arguably bigger UI/OS/online services impact as well.

I'm glad Series are selling well this gen so far (though I wish the ratio was in favor of Series X vs. Series S), but I've also seen some people, mainly content creators, try to play this up as some massive momentum shift that will be longer-term, particularly at the detriment of PS5. Which realistically speaking, will simply not be the case unless Sony just outright fails to increase supply for another year or two. Otherwise I think what we're seeing is a reflect mainly driven by supply; that's for BOTH Xbox and PlayStation tbh but outside of the U.S and maybe the U.K, global demand for PlayStation is just magnitudes higher and that shouldn't be a controversial statement.

If supply for PS5 were able to meet demand, I actually don't think Series sales would suffer too much (especially if many are Series X units), and could actually see further increases. However I don't think you see any gap closing and potentially a gap widening somewhat in PS5's favor would be the likely outcome. Honestly tho this has nothing really to do with what I think sales would look like with supply normalized to satisfy demand or whatever; it's about Aaron quote-tweeting sales estimates from a website that hasn't exactly been totally right multiple times in the past, when he could just also officially state what actual sold-through numbers for Series are globally especially if it's trending this far ahead of 360 (allegedly).
Not reading all that. Surely you don’t care that much …

Deerock71

I have 2 Series S', and might soon be adding a Series X to the fam (if I can get ahold of one). A kid only turns 10 once, right? And what's the Roman numeral for 10?

season 4 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Bo_Hazem

Banned
you implying it's console wars to want games i already paid for?

Yes, trying to make a negative thing from an obvious no. If you have the original disk of any Xbox Series game today, let alone old games, does that mean you can download the digital version from the store and play it?

Your thread was very transparent and stupid.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
That decade old tweet is just as accurate today. VGChartz has "no source and no science behind the #'s". I'm sure you are right that Greenberg does know the numbers. So why doesn't he just share them instead of retweeting crappy guesses from vgchartz?
Interesting question, maybe it's a way to share an estimate saying the number himself but quoting something close.(maybe they are not allowed to disclose exact numbers, who knows?) This a guess, as like everyone else here, I have no idea at all.

As another Microsoft employee did the same thing, what I also thought was a little odd.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yes, trying to make a negative thing from an obvious no. If you have the original disk of any Xbox Series game today, let alone old games, does that mean you can play and download the digital version from the store and play it?

Your thread was very transparent and stupid.

It’s stupid to want games I already paid for. It’s smart to buy the same things twice. Got it.

It’s funny because I don’t even think it’s a foregone conclusion that Sony won’t honor those purchases especially if they are just the ISO dumps I am expecting.

anthony2690

Banned
The issue is MS won't come out and provide official sold-through numbers, which is odd considering they are tracking healthily ahead of 360 (their best gen sales-wise by far) as per VGChartz are claiming.

There are a lot of would-be investors and stock boosts just waiting on official claims to match those of an outside source like VGChartz, so if the actual numbers match up why don't MS just put them out there officially? I think it's fair to ask that question.

I guess it just shows they really have moved on from disclosing sales, despite series X being on track to be the most successful Xbox console (in the same time frame currently as prior systems)

I guess sub numbers is all we will get going forward.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I was just talking today about Aaron Greenberg using shit for weird twitter promos and just like clockwork....

If MS is going to start celebrating sales then they should release numbers.

Edit:

Classic Greenberg right there

In all honesty, I'd trust Vgchartz before Aaron.

Also Fatt Slobb defending Vgchartz because an Xbox employee uses it as a source. 😂😂😂
Not a shill 😉

It's obvious the numbers are miles better than Xbox One (either generation) and the comparison with 360 is interesting. I agree with adamsapple adamsapple that the numbers should be shown every quarter. Maybe they might actually note milestones again. Nice to have some competition again.

Topher

Gold Member
Interesting question, maybe it's a way to share an estimate saying the number himself but quoting something close.(maybe they are not allowed to disclose exact numbers, who knows?) This a guess, as like everyone else here, I have no idea at all.

As another Microsoft employee did the same thing, what I also thought was a little odd.

There is nothing keeping Microsoft from disclosing exact numbers.

"With more than 84 million consoles sold into retail worldwide and $37.7 billion in lifetime game sales to date, Xbox 360 continues to enjoy strong momentum, fueled by a thriving community of gamers that has logged more than 88 billion hours of gameplay...."

They stopped when Xbox One was getting slaughtered by PS4.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

In all honesty, I'd trust Vgchartz before Aaron.

Also Fatt Slobb defending Vgchartz because an Xbox employee uses it as a source. 😂😂😂
Not a shill 😉

It's obvious the numbers are miles better than Xbox One (either generation) and the comparison with 360 is interesting. I agree with adamsapple adamsapple that the numbers should be shown every quarter. Maybe they might actually note milestones again. Nice to have some competition again.

Aaron is your incompetent colleague that you don't know how the fuck he got the job in the first place. The man lacks the simplest basics of his field.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I know like 10 guys that has an SS, and just me and another guy has SX. Back in the 360 days, I could say that five guys had an 360, so I guess that Microsoft will beat his last record

Top Bottom