• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

17 months after launch, Xbox Series X/S is on track to outsell Xbox 360

Why would Microsoft rely on any external site when they have the numbers themselves? They have released numbers before. They can do it again.

If they don't want to talk about console sales numbers though then the answer is really simple....

Stfu GIF by MOODMAN
The point of the article was to say the X Series is selling better than 360 and they provided a point of reference. Greenberg used the same source as the story. You can dislike their source but unless there is a better 3rd party source this is the best we got.

Star Trek Deal With It GIF

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Beating sales numbers from 15 years ago isn't very surprising. After all, game audience grew a lot in that time.

Still, compared to last generation numbers, I guess I can understand why people think it's an achievement.
Added the triggered for fun! :)

I think it's good to outsell your most successful product, it shows that you are doing something right. Thewii u did terribly due to it missing the beat on some parts and not delivering that Nintendo magic hype then look at the switch, which will beat out ps2 eventually.

Xbox one was a major stumble for MS, if they can turn it around and sell double the units of that console its a huge win for them.

Everyone is doing well and that's the best thing for us. Big companies are having to ensure they create appealing products and services to get us to invest which is a win for us.

Now, we need games. I personally feel this gen has been weak for MS and Sony on the games front, or just communication on news of what the plans are for games. Hopefully we get a flood of info over the next 2 months or that would suck.

On VGCHARTZ, they aren't accurate enough and shouldn't be used for data. MS just needs to let the information out but then they would just get ripped for "sales matter now?"

Maybe they could just keep it cryptic, but who am I k8dding they'd get dragged for that too. Something like "we are outselling the 360 by 20 percent launch aligned" I dunno.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I think they would be consistent if they were not retweeting VGChartz (of all sites) talking about sales. And I didn't call them liars at all. Just as I didn't make any comment about how well Series is selling.

That’s Greenberg for you. Not sure he’s endorsing the numbers, but the sentiment. But it’s still a stupid thing to do as the analyst tackling Grubb notes.

He literally just thanked the people that continue to support Xbox.

He didn't confirm or deny numbers, yet he managed to trigger so many people and up the visibility and engagement of his post.

PR at its finest right there.

Retweeting those numbers will be seen by many as endorsement. And VGchartz responded to milk that retweet, no rebuttal from Greenberg.

That’s shitty PR.

Kagey K

Banned
Retweeting those numbers will be seen by many as endorsement. And VGchartz responded to milk that retweet, no rebuttal from Greenberg.

That’s shitty PR.
Nah he got exactly what he wanted to out of it.

The only thing they confirmed was that they were indeed beating 360 sales numbers.

The rest is your interpretation, and it's great PR because it's all over twitter and Xbox didn't spend 1.00 in advertising to get it up there.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m sure it’s doing fine and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s doing better than 360, but I wouldn’t trust any VGC estimate.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nah he got exactly what he wanted to out of it.

The only thing they confirmed was that they were indeed beating 360 sales numbers.

The rest is your interpretation, and it's great PR because it's all over twitter and Xbox didn't spend 1.00 in advertising to get it up there.
Will see the same defense by you when people accuse Ryan or other Sony buffoons of similar PR tactics, right? :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
why people are getting crazy over vgchart the point is that xbs/x is on track to sell better than the best Xbox released (x360). This in both way looking at Zhuge numbers and vgc too....plus Aaron wouldn't have tweeted xb series wasn't selling better (and he knows the real numbers). Vgchartz probably randomly pecked +/- Xbox's number and Aaron found a way to leak it without releasing concrete numbers (couldn't)

Last edited:

kyoji

Is this suppose to be the parody thread for “omgz game PAzz is at at 30 million subz LuL, cuz take two ceo said so”?

skit_data

Xbox is doing really well this generation, a far cry from the disastrous Xbox One launch.

It’s entirely possible I’ll get a Series X at some point in the coming years but I’m gonna wait til the first party lineup of games have grown to at least 4-5 must-play games, which seems to be at least 2-3 years from now unless they have surprises coming up.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't know why people take it that PS3 "won" that generation, when from Sony point of view, they lost 50% market share to xbox and it wiped all their profits from ps1 & 2 gen.

Didn't it also outsell xbox360 in like, 2017?

If we're going by that logic, didn't 360 inflated sales due to poor production quality, AKA RROD, and here in non-xbox countries, and you should remember it, that xbox games were pirated and sold for $1.3-2.6 dollars each like PS2-PS1 due to DVD tech?

From profit point of view, you might end up having PS3 more profitable than Xbox360 as well by a large margin.

29,000 pirated Xbox games seized in UAE​

In Oman, no one gave a rat ass about it due to lack of Microsoft presence in general and Xbox officially.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
4) vgchartz guessing numbers isn't a real harm to the world.
Giving them a platform and air of reputability through reporting them as real source, can be though.
I've personally had executives in companies quote VGChartz numbers back at me - like they were a real source in vein of NPD, without a hint of sarcasm intended. Granted that's not as bad as going on twitter about it - but point stands, 'industry insiders' are highly susceptible here too, on any level.

Admittedly - the main damage is to legit tracking outlets, but it harms industry as a whole because Games, unlike many other entertainment branches, does not report real numbers on its own, so the more 'alternate facts' reality is established that legit businesses then have to contend with, the more it perpetuates the misinformation in the industry as a whole. So yes - signal boosting vgchartz is a net-negative and prolific twitters are absolutely part of the problem if they are propagating the effect.

Aaron Greenberg should not have responded to that tweet.

I think it’s smart to not talk about the sale numbers because all it does is add fuel to the console war nonsense.

Xbox especially needs to keep the conversations focused on the games because that is the only thing that matters anyway.

sinnergy

I think it’s smart to not talk about the sale numbers because all it does is add fuel to the console war nonsense.

Xbox especially needs to keep the conversations focused on the games because that is the only thing that matters anyway.
Even bad PR is PR…

Goalus

There was nothing war-related in that tweet.
Insecure Sony warriors got triggered by the realization that Xbox is doing better than ever though and then went to war.

Kokoloko85

So really this isnt much news.

Xbox series X/S has sold 13 million like the Xbox One did at 17 months?
Aaron should of put that in his tweet too….

Sales At 17 months:

Xbox Series X+S = 13.87M
Xbox One = 13 million
Xbox 360 = 9.38 million

And the Xbox One was 1 sku that was more expensive than both than the Xbox series

Plus wasnt the whole xbox doesnt care about console sales a thing? Gamepass is gonna make xbox sell more than last gen?

Seems they are pretty much on the same path apart from they have a much cheaper Series S too.

Basically no news and aaron making up fake hype lol

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just think how we'll the series consoles are selling if you take into account RROD. I mean, if its selling more than 360 and every unit is a genuine sale and not a replacement its a big feat.

Not that anything to do with RROD should be praised, that shit was a joke.

MS got their hardware and services sorted, had a few good games over the last 18 months but we need a steady stream of bangers.

DaGwaphics

The fact that Greenberg quoted the tweet leads me to believe that he feels it is accurate regarding the placement of 360 vs Xbox Series (probably a milestone crossing he is familiar with internally), so, great news for Xbox. They've done a great job on the series systems and the success is well deserved. With GP and the ability to buy digital keys from third-party sellers, there is simply no better platform for budget gamers out there. I think they'll do great even once supply has normalized for both Xbox and PS5, the US and UK splits are going to surprise some people by generations end, IMO.

MonarchJT

Banned
PS3 era? Mate, PS3 is Sony's worst sold console and failure, and yet sold more than 360, Xbox's best sold console/success, with a year delay.

Sony is aiming to break PS2 sales, the most successful home console.
and given the difficulty of production probably won't even be able to beat the PS4 this gen

Vognerful

Missing the mark by one million for a single quarter? I believe they are referring to Q3 where Sony reported 3.9 million PS5s sold. If VGC over reported that by a million then that is more like a 25% error. They are not reliable.
Oh, I though it was total sales.

Vognerful

If we're going by that logic, didn't 360 inflated sales do to poor productions quality, AKA RROD, and here in non-xbox countries, and you should remember it, that xbox games were pirated and sold for $1.3-2.6 dollars each like PS2-PS1 due to DVD tech?

From profit point of view, you might end up having PS3 more profitable than Xbox360 as well by a large margin.

29,000 pirated Xbox games seized in UAE​

In Oman, no one gave a rat ass about it due to lack of Microsoft presence in general and Xbox officially.
Rrod and pirating, you could be right about it. But I we can also think of many ways how playstation 3 and 4 sales were inflated in the middle east, like all shisha shops and games network (My friend has a shop in Oman, forgot the area name when I went to his wedding). And for PS3, I know many people who bought the refreshed models (it had ), like me when the older one failed on me.

Top Bottom