• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1985 GAF Game of the Year

What is your game of the year 1985?

• Total voters

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I actually had to pause a sec. I mean of course super Mario bros is legendary but ultima 4 and kings quest 2 were industry defining in their own right.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Super fucking Mario Brothers.

I seriously doubt anyone but the most dedicated hardcore gamer with a masochist disposition could pick up and play any of the others for more than 5 minutes these days, if they can even understand what you’re supposed to do or how the interface even works. If you’ve played a game in your life, SMB is the definition of pick-up-and-play.

teezzy

Banned
Super fucking Mario Brothers.

I seriously doubt anyone but the most dedicated hardcore gamer with a masochist disposition could pick up and play any of the others for more than 5 minutes these days, if they can even understand what you’re supposed to do or how the interface even works. If you’ve played a game in your life, SMB is the definition of pick-up-and-play.

Idk man, Gradius is p fuggin tight

OB3yu9N.jpg

Goalus

Ultima 4
I was living in that world for several months. Played it on a Sega Master System. And couldn't finish it because I wasn't humble enough. I had the other 7 virtues completed, but humility was a tough nut to crack.

And to the people who voted for another game:
Thou hast lost an eighth!!

Markio128

I went against the grain and voted Gradius because that was the game I spent most of my time playing during that period, though I understand Super Mario Bros. Being the most important - however, that was not the question.

Raven117

Gold Member
While the answer is Super Mario Brothers....the real answer is Ultima IV...what they were able to achieve in that game is incredible.

Moonjt9

SMB is the correct choice of course, but man does it warm my heart to see votes for ultima IV! That game is the basis for open world rpgs and lord British was a goddamn genius back in the day

Pejo

I'll be honest, Mario Bros never really hit with me until SMB3, and even then I didn't really enjoy my time with it until World. Now THAT was a platformer. I picked Oregon trail. Countless hours as a kid were spent on that game, avoiding diseases, hunting stuff, forging rivers. I remember my kid self always wasting too much time/effort on ammo and hunting and never making it to Oregon because I kept making poor choices.

Top Bottom