• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 Sega Genesis Games That Were Way Ahead of Their Time

cireza

Banned
Pretty nice selection.

Following the overall "vibe" behind this selection, I would have added Dune II and Dungeons & Dragons Warriors of the Eternal Sun. And probably Zyrinx games such as Sub Terrania and Red Zone.

RAIDEN1

Pretty nice selection.

Following the overall "vibe" behind this selection, I would have added Dune II and Dungeons & Dragons Warriors of the Eternal Sun. And probably Zyrinx games such as Sub Terrania and Red Zone.
But could Dune II be counted though? As it wasn't built ground up for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive?

cireza

Banned
But could Dune II be counted though? As it wasn't built ground up for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive?
It is the case of other games from the list. Back then you pretty much had to redevelop everything to make a port anyway. Dune II was heavily adapted for the console, and it is a brilliant port and game.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Bonanza Brothers was dope as hell. Very cool animations

Rent a Hero was about to get a remake for the Xbox. Was cancelled I don't remember why

Phantasy Star III was pretty as hell. Gameplay not so much thou. Remember getting level up a lot, and some normal enemies could one-hit-kill you. I mean, wtf

They put the first Toe Jam and Earl, but I think the second one is prettier and plays way better

Lunar is for Sega CD, which I'm not sure it's fair to say it is "for the Mega Drive". Great graphics thou

cireza

Banned
Rent a Hero was about to get a remake for the Xbox. Was cancelled I don't remember why
Indeed. I think it is playable though, and in English.

Lunar is for Sega CD, which I'm not sure it's fair to say it is "for the Mega Drive". Great graphics thou
Lunar was already unbelievable on SEGA-CD, but the sequel is absolutely mind blowing. Eternal Blue is the most ambitious 16 bits game I have seen. It has animated cut-scenes that are timeless. Soundtrack is fantastic. The game has a ton of content, voice acting etc... This game is waaaaaaay more ambitious than anything else on these consoles. The first Lunar was already quite impressive as well. Must play.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Shining Force.

Get Out Nbc GIF by One Chicago

cireza

Banned
They put the worst f'kin Phantasy Star game on there.
I think that the logic behind the list is to talk about games that implemented some elaborated ideas and concepts. And in this regard, Phantasy Star III is the most interesting of the series, despite its shortcomings.

Top Bottom