• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 years ago, Sega and Nintendo went to trial over violent content in videogames...

Fascinating read. Any additional material which people should read?

Here's a few:

Gameasutra Article from ???: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134205/mortal_kombat__a_book_excerpt_.php?print=1 This one here covers Mortal Kombat the most, but it is a nice extensive write up.

DefunctGames article from 2003: http://www.defunctgames.com/feuds/30/a-case-to-be-made-for-night-trap

A decent article from Gamespot from 2004: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wh...story-of-video-game-controversy/1100-6090892/ It covers a much broader look on video game violence than just the 1993 senate hearings though.

Retronauts article from 2010: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9024059 . I actually borrowed a few quotes from this article, because I didn't want to rematch the senate hearing and retype out more quotes word for word. But this is a nice opinionated article.

And the obligatory Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_controversies

If people know of some more good articles on the subject, I'd like to see them.

Howard Lincoln was amazing. NOA could use his style right about now.

On one hand, I can't believe it's been 20 years. On the other hand, has it only been 20 years?

I know how you feel, I was 13 when this all went down. I do remember all the press and controversy around this hearing and it didn't seem like it was that long ago in my mind. I found the entire senate hearing video about a week ago and watched it from start to finish. I noticed that the date the hearing aired on was getting close to its 20th anniversary, so I thought it would make a good thread.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
gif23.gif

tumblr_mcoazt7mBS1qee6tdo1_500.gif

tumblr_mbrjtp6gk41ri3lg2o1_500.gif

god-of-war-3-death-of-helios-o.gif

IMG28-1287112899.gif

tombraider_nutcracker_final.gif

Mission accomplished.

Damn. Howard Lincoln, Nintendo need more hard talkers like that.

Nintendo need more hard business people who would fight for their spot against the competition like Lincoln + Yamauchi instead of the PR mouthpieces they've got prancing around all the Nintendo quarters now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Damn. Howard Lincoln, Nintendo need more hard talkers like that.

Nintendo need more hard business people who would fight for their spot against the competition like Lincoln + Yamauchi instead of the PR mouthpieces they've got prancing around all the Nintendo quarters now.

Nintendo isn't in a position to bully anyone these days.

Fehyd

Banned
This particular scene never happened in the final release of the game did it? They cut it out thanks to the backlash on the Internet.

No its still there as a qte. He ends up with s bullet in his head at the end of it.

If you fail it he just kills you outright.

*lots of gifs*

Mission accomplished.

A quote from Joe Lieberman taken from the senate hearing video that I posted in the OP:

"The rating system must not be perverted into a cynical marketing ploy to attract children into more violent games. The rating system without some industry self regulation, may put us just where we don't want to be We must not allow the industry to trumpet a violent rating as selling point."

In all honesty, he was absolutely correct on that point.because that's exactly what the game industry did.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Howard Lincoln was amazing. NOA could use his style right about now.

On one hand, I can't believe it's been 20 years. On the other hand, has it only been 20 years? Games have gotten more violent than ever. If we could time travel to those meetings and show a DVD of grand theft auto 5 those people would have banned video games right then lol

People like Phil Chalmers. I bring this thread to light because I recently got to watch his True Lies video in college. This guy took a very dated FPS where you went into a room with guys wearing nothing but green jump suits and you were equipped with a gun. It had a white UI too. The fps looked like it was a mod at first. Terrible proof IMO. Chalmers also showed pictures of Leon getting chainsawed in RE4 and said they'd arrest people for making these games for kids a long time ago.

I say this because even my professor was telling the class about using the controller to have sex with prostitutes and shooting them for extra points in GTAV. I said to myself, "Chalmers showed a pic of GTAIV's cover and I don't think Rockstar would of redone the Hot Coffee mod just yet".

It's a video game, but these angry individuals pointing out their faults have probably never picked up a video game in decades. Plus our rating system bans anyone from purchasing a copy until they're 17. Plus title screens and crime drama have been enjoyed for years.

I don't know why I'm rambling, but I wanted to get it out there. I do not condone violence, but the satire to games and the linear storytelling is something enjoyable for a mature person.

I looked into columbine and those kids were making videos on bullying, hating people who were jocks and preps, and etc. The Halo Killer also had some sever anger problems he obviously couldn't control, and the other reasons for blame stem from people who think M rated games were made for kids. I probably won't say anymore in the subject because it's not worth pointing out that the media's concerns are from terrible evidence. As I'm approaching my older years I just want to enjoy games like GTA and Halo. They sure haven't affected my life like others may think.

Laconic

Banned
Mortal Kombat vs Mortal Kombat reboot... yeah. The hell of it being the older MKs were actually better games too, as well as being FAR less gratuitous. The Modern Mortal Kombats would make old school Peter Jackson balk.

Top Bottom