• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 - A Year in Review

This was a year of surprise for me. There were no big games I was really looking forward to, but Wolfenstein and The Evil Within (two titles I didn't think would turn out amazingly) both caught me by surprise and delivered amazing experiences.

Illucio

Banned
If it wasn't for Nintendo this year would had been a complete disappointment in gaming for me.
Pretty crummy year for gaming all around, but 2015 seems like it's going to have huge fun titles every second.

Final Fantasy: Type Zero
Final Fantasy XV (Perfect year to be released. I mean 2015? PERFECTION.)
Kingdom Hearts 3 (I'm not counting on it being released in 2015, but who knows.)
No Man's Sky
Rime
King's Quest
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
Batman Arkham Knight
Halo 5
Witcher 3
Star Wars Battlefront
Persona 5
Everybody's Gone to Rapture
Street Fighters 5
The Division
Metal Gear Solid 5
Star Fox Wii U
Zelda U
Zelda: Majoras Mask 3D
Splatoon
Next Pokemon Game ???? (We all know it's going to happen.)
Bravery Second
Xenoblade 3DS
Xenoblade X

.... That's everything I could think of on top of my head, I bet I'm missing a whole bunch. But I'm sure there will be quite a bit of disappointments next year as well. As long as EA, Ubisoft, and Gearbox making games, there will be a trail of crappy games to follow....

dramatis

Final Fantasy XV (Perfect year to be released. I mean 2015? PERFECTION.)
Kingdom Hearts 3 (I'm not counting on it being released in 2015, but who knows.)
These are pipe dreams.

For this year in gaming streaming, I think the big splash was Twitch Plays Pokemon. I wonder if someone can come up with something even more outrageous next year.

Another notable gameplay bit of the year is "Press F to pay respects". It seems like the culmination of contrived emotional investment. Hopefully that's the peak and developers are heading towards better routes of storytelling in games.

Obviously the worst of the year is the release of all these buggy and semi-broken games. Many of those games still sold very well, one can only hope that game publishers don't make a continuing trend of "release now, patch later".

I've reached my quota of optimistic thoughts about 2015 already.

Moofers

Trying a little too hard to be snarky and clever, but I appreciate your efforts, OP. Nice work and thanks for the fun read. :)

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Trying a little too hard to be snarky and clever, but I appreciate your efforts, OP. Nice work and thanks for the fun read. :)

There's no way to write that many jokes without *actually* trying hard. ;)

I do think, for next year, I should try to keep a running list of big releases and news. You get better jokes if you just let stuff percolate in your mind for a while.

faridmon

I am quite baffled of the comments saying 2014 was a shitty year, worse than previous years, yes, but a shitty one? come on.

There was so many interesting to amazing indies/ Early access games and you guys are complaining?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I'm tempted to just replace the entire OP with "Play Nuclear Throne." Incredible game. There are definitely a LOT of games I missed (in the write-up, too, but I actually mean in terms of playing) this year that have raised my estimation of 2014 quite a bit.

Joei

Interesting read. I'm already curious as to what this would say next year since, to me, 2015 should be balls to the wall fantastic.

Top Bottom