• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup Final |OT| Germany defeats Argentina 1-0 after extra time

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

I think the best was germany's away jersey in 2010.
adidas_jdfb_jsb_rahmen_d038c3958094834db5d9baa3a59e8ea7.jpg

This the GOAT of football kits.

The absolute GOAT.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
wow I didn't realize that copa america 2016 will take place in the USA with concacaf and conmebol participating.

It'll be like Copa América Special Edition, actually. The regular Copa América will be held next year in Chile.

Goldmund

lol, pretty sure that Merkel's euro policy affects the image of the German nation more than a short joke.
Football fans are also used to way way worse things.

But bait articles are an effective way to create traffic.
There's more to the article than the dramatic blurb. It's mainly about the misguided appropriation and exploitation of the victory. The "short joke" was a good thing, as it made the nature of the image as a product everyone wanted to claim as their own more obvious.

Sorry I just caught up to this thread and I just read that David Luiz was included in the FIFA XI and I couldn't do anything but laugh for 2 minutes straight. How is that possible? Were the people choosing the players blind? Did they not watch Brazil's final two games where Luiz was caught out of position most of the time? Money well spent PSG.

There's more to the article than the dramatic blurb. It's mainly about the misguided appropriation and exploitation of the victory. The "short joke" was a good thing, as it made the nature of the image as a product everyone wanted to claim as their own more obvious.

gnah, the author overrates the meaning of the event and the Gauchos part just to have a point for his claim that a large group of Germans is dangerous. Where is the international outcry?

It's a miracle that the 400k people didn't spontaneously decide to invade Poland once again after the event. ("Es ist nicht ohne historische Ironie, die Siegesfeier für den „4. Stern“ auf den Trikots der Nationalmannschaft an diesem Ort abzuhalten. In unmittelbarer Nähe zu jenen Denkmälern, wo an Triumphe und Katastrophen der deutschen Geschichte erinnert wird.")

Croyles

gnah, the author overrates the meaning of the event and the Gauchos part just to have a point for his claim that a large group of Germans is dangerous. Where is the international outcry?

It's a miracle that the 400k people didn't spontaneously decide to invade Poland once again after the event. ("Es ist nicht ohne historische Ironie, die Siegesfeier für den „4. Stern“ auf den Trikots der Nationalmannschaft an diesem Ort abzuhalten. In unmittelbarer Nähe zu jenen Denkmälern, wo an Triumphe und Katastrophen der deutschen Geschichte erinnert wird.")

Its basically either a bait article or a German with an expired guilt complex. Either way pathetic article imo.

Poor Messi. You can see how strong he is mentally though.

The pressure on him is beyond immense. He's the only person I really feel bad for in all of this. Argentina will always have a moment in the future, Messi won't. He may still be deadly in 2018, but that's a big question mark in all of this. Knowing that he is touted by some as the GOAT, and others as one of the greats, he knows how much pressure there is.

But, even beyond that, it's the pressure of nation just on you. You're the focal point of it all. No one is going to look back and blame Garay for the game winner, or blame Higuain for the misses. No. The perspective lens will always be, "why didn't Messi win it for them?" Which I found ironic in light of the banter about futbol being the ultimate team sport.

Goldmund

You're arguing against something you yourself read into the article. Its scope isn't as narrow as the first paragraphs and your hunger for indignation would have you believe. It's about commercialization, false identification, misappropriation.

You're arguing against something you yourself read into the article. Its scope isn't as narrow as the first paragraphs and your hunger for indignation would have you believe. It's about commercialization, false identification, misappropriation.

Yeah, a bunch of buzzwords.

All three things are only possible to argue about if you try to sell the celebration as somekind of political event. Although it was nothing else than entertainment. It was not even some new way of football related entertainment but somethign that we have in Berlin since 2006.

Nerokis

I want to make a suggestion for those eager to watch more of this sport: check out the National Women's Soccer League. It is no MLS in terms of budget, following, etc., but 1). almost all the matches are put on YouTube, 2). these women are talented, strong players, and certainly deserve the attention, 3). it is pretty fun to watch football be played on this scale (little to no diving!), and 4). the Women's World Cup is around the corner, which will be even more enjoyable if you're familiar with the players (you'll see mostly US players, but also a decent amount of internationals).

I'm looking forward to going to Houston that much more often now. Between the Houston Dash (NWSL) and the Houston Dynamo (MLS), there is going to be plenty of action there over the next several months.

Goldmund

Yeah, a bunch of buzzwords.

All three things are only possible to argue about if you try to sell the celebration as somekind of political event. Although it was nothing else than entertainment. It was not even some new way of football related entertainment but somethign that we have in Berlin since 2006.
Buzzwords? Okay. There's no point in arguing with you. Good day to you!

That FAZ article is ridiculous. Those are young men, euphoric, jet lagged and perhaps also a little drunk that celebrate in a cocky but harmless way.

The FAZ shows again that it is still the central organ of german "Spießigkeit". It is just click bait and being sulky for no reason.

Yes, you could call it an exploitation that the media was following the players from their arrival on the airport all the way to the celebration at Brandenburg Gate and making such a fuzz out of it. But the many pics on Twitter and Facebook, shot by the players themselves show that they can aptly cope with the media age.

Batigol! Argentina was lacking a strong finisher up front for sure. I'm surprised they didn't invite Tevez, particularly in light of the fact that Boca Loser for Life Palacio logged significant minutes up front. That guy was, is, and always will be average. There should never be an Argentine roster with Palacio on it.

Hell, even a guy like Palermo was able to put a goal away in 2010, and he's less mobile than a tree. Palacio looked completely overwhelmed out there. He tried to disguise his lack of talent by running around like an idiot, disrupting positioning, and then missing clear chances.

I can't fault Higuain too badly. He's the reason they beat Belgium. Aguero, on the other hand...did nothing.

Batigol! Argentina was lacking a strong finisher up front for sure. I'm surprised they didn't invite Tevez, particularly in light of the fact that Boca Loser for Life Palacio logged significant minutes up front. That guy was, is, and always will be average. There should never be an Argentine roster with Palacio on it.

Hell, even a guy like Palermo was able to put a goal away in 2010, and he's less mobile than a tree. Palacio looked completely overwhelmed out there. He tried to disguise his lack of talent by running around like an idiot, disrupting positioning, and then missing clear chances.

I can't fault Higuain too badly. He's the reason they beat Belgium. Aguero, on the other hand...did nothing.

I know it's after the fact, 20/20, not wanting to rock the boat from a great qualification campaign, but I still don't see why you leave him out. Perhaps he is a bit undersized, but I just don't see a world where Palacio is better than Tevez.

maty

I know it's after the fact, 20/20, not wanting to rock the boat from a great qualification campaign, but I still don't see why you leave him out. Perhaps he is a bit undersized, but I just don't see a world where Palacio is better than Tevez.

Palacio ("la concha de tu hermana") is not better than Tevez but his function was not play as 9, but to make damage from the sides. He offered something different than Tevez which competes for Higuain, Aguero and Messi's position.

I was/am ok with not having Tevez when our offense was on fire during the whole qualification tournament.

The problem is that they had a bad world cup. Messi started great and then as the playstyle changed and became more defensive and compact, he was left without teammates to play to his strengths which is to move the ball around. See Mourinho's words.

Higuain played bad except against Belgium and Aguero was fucking horrible. All of them were out of shape, especially the last 2.

Messi has been out of shape for a long time now. Maybe it's his age or that for the last 5 years he played nonstop in barcelona and Argentina without even having vacations going around the world playing for charity, etc. And now his body is making him pay for all that.

Di Maria being out of the WC was what hurt us the most, he was the one who brought speed to our offense and created more space and options for messi.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I finally found a massive archive of qualifiers and WC games and extra coverage on ESPN. There is no footage for streaming anywhere for me in the states and I was going to say ESPN dropped the ball but lo and behold, I am now re-watching the Netherlands/Argentina shootout. The whole game is there alongside pretty much every major game in the tourney. If anyone has WatchESPN I can link it for those who are looking for their fill.

Oh, whoscored voted their player of the tourney: Article

Messi

But while it wasn't the perfect World Cup with the perfect ending for Lionel Messi, it was still one in which he did enough to silence those who continue to criticise him. Statistically he was the best player at the tournament, with an average rating of 8.52 over his 7 games. Comparatively, Rodríguez maintained an average rating of 8.40, but only over 5 appearances. Messi also picked up the WhoScored man of the match award in each of Argentina's first four matches in Brazil. That his influence diminished in the latter stages - against better opposition after a favourable group draw - was understandable.

Oh, whoscored voted their player of the tourney: Article

Messi

Highest chances created by any player in wc
3rd in goal scoring
Highest number of successful dribbles per match
Half the score of his team in the entire tournament
4th highest fouled on ranking surpassed by Neymar and robben known for falling when a hair of the opponent falls on them and only really succeeded by Sanchez

Its a no brainer

Rodriguez had the highest goals with 6 but fell behind in almost every category

CassSept

4th highest fouled on ranking surpassed by Neymar and robben known for falling when a hair of the opponent falls on them and only really succeeded by Sanchez

Oh come on, Robben usually dives a lot but this tournament he actually was fouled a ton. His reputation doesn't help but he was legitimately forcibly stopped a ton.

That his influence diminished in the latter stages - against better opposition after a favourable group draw - was understandable.

lol

You aren't the greatest player if teams like Switzerland or Belgium can render you useless.

Highest chances created by any player in wc
3rd in goal scoring
Highest number of successful dribbles per match
Half the score of his team in the entire tournament

Well done Messi.

Jack cw

CTLance

Heh, wouldn't have thought I'd ever come back here, was fully prepared to just hibernate for two/four years.
gauchogate - I'm not as "empört" as I'm just wondering "why?"
Kinda unnecessary all around.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesellschaft/gauchos-pressestimmen-zur-wm-party-der-nationalmannschaft-a-981244.html
Eh. Kinda with you.

One aspect is that there are countless fans who just cannot cheer for their own team without also degrading and deriding the other team - regardless of nationality. That has led to a certain standard in "war songs", often with surprising creativity with regards to the insults or prose. From that point of view, the "it's just a game, and it's normal" defense works.
Personally, I think it's childish at best and am uncomfortable when fans start singing those songs, but whatever, I'm a casual sports fan, and for a reason.
Furthermore, it was a minute or so out of hours of perfectly normal (bleh) alcohol-infused cheering and partying. Doesn't excuse anything, but we need to keep this in perspective. Add to that the relief of tension after immeasurable stress, alcohol, and a couple hundred thousand fans screaming at you in adoration... sure, anybody will be tempted to do stupid shit.

On the other hand, did they really have to do it? Really really? While the whole world is watching how the World Champion is celebrating their victory? Best of all, right next to all the highly evocative monuments? Worst time and place possible, unless you count right after the match. What were they thinking? They didn't run over to Messi and collectively teabagged him, so why now?
I'm not saying us Krauts ought to never again feel good about anything at all, I'm saying that there is a time and place for pulling this kind of stuff. This was not a "private" party with the fans, it was the official homecoming parade and celebration of the Nationalelf, heavily televised inside and scrutinized outside of Germany. In that context, the performance is completely lacking, not only in sportsmanship. Alcohol, jetlag, hype, whatever, don't give me that shit. You do not belittle someone you just beat fair and square in an amazing match. Do not kick someone who is down. It paints a terrible picture of you. It cheapens your victory.

So, a little of both. They were stupid for doing it, but I understand why this happened and am certainly not burning any icons in effigy or going on witch hunts while foaming at the mouth.

Fritz

I thought the whole celebration was kinda cringeworthy but then kinda genuine at the same time. They just let the boys have their way for once and SURPRISE they didn't recite Goethe up there. Nothing to get so riled up about like the intellectual press atm.

I'm not saying us Krauts ought to never again feel good about anything at all, I'm saying that there is a time and place for pulling this kind of stuff. This was not a "private" party with the fans, it was the official homecoming parade and celebration of the Nationalelf, heavily televised inside and scrutinized outside of Germany. In that context, the performance is completely lacking, not only in sportsmanship. Alcohol, jetlag, hype, whatever, don't give me that shit. You do not belittle someone you just beat fair and square in an amazing match. Do not kick someone who is down. It paints a terrible picture of you. It cheapens your victory.

Don't oversell it, please. A trivial "Schottenwitz" is more offensive than that.

I mean is anyone in Germany still offended about 1988? You could think that Müller and Co reactived the first verse of the Deutschlandlied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom