• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup Final |OT| Germany defeats Argentina 1-0 after extra time

Status
Not open for further replies.
FUCK YOU, YOU RUINED EVERYTHING YOU FUCKING BASTARD. WAS ALMOST PROUD OF MY COUNTRY FOR ONCE

452098234-germany-team-fan-waves-the-german-flag-in-gettyimages.jpg

http://www.gettyimages.de/detail/na...-german-flag-in-the-nachrichtenfoto/452098234

What am I missing here? Is it the colors of his wardrobe? #notallgermans

CTLance

Don't oversell it, please. A trivial "Schottenwitz" is more offensive than that.
I put care into making two sections to highlight the two most obvious angles on the incident. So just ripping out one part and saying I'm overselling it isn't quite fair. Within the context of my post it's a perfectly reasonable complaint.

Again, from a strictly no fun allowed perspective: This was a very public event with great impact in a very sensitive location and with the whole world looking on. Telling a Schottenwitz would have been just as inappropriate - albeit far more random, since the Scots had nothing to do with Germany this WC.

(Bonus nitpicking: The problem with that comparison is that at least a Schottenwitz is fully intended as a joke, racist or not. Gauchogate however has people actively putting down an entire nation in front of the whole world with full intent of humiliation. Not any random nation to boot, but very specifically one that had already suffered defeat at their hands.)
Cripes, I think I've typed more on this topic than on all of the matches this WC combined. :lol

I put care into making two sections to highlight the two most obvious angles on the incident. So just ripping out one part and saying I'm overselling it isn't quite fair. Within the context of my post it's a perfectly reasonable complaint.

Again, from a strictly no fun allowed perspective: This was a very public event with great impact in a very sensitive location and with the whole world looking on. Telling a Schottenwitz would have been just as inappropriate - albeit far more random, since the Scots had nothing to do with Germany this WC.

(Bonus nitpicking: The problem with that comparison is that at least a Schottenwitz is fully intended as a joke, racist or not. Gauchogate however has people actively putting down an entire nation in front of the whole world with full intent of humiliation. Not any random nation to boot, but very specifically one that had already suffered defeat at their hands.)
Cripes, I think I've typed more on this topic than on all of the matches this WC combined. :lol

what are the racist schottenwitze you are thinking about? cause I cannot think of one.

Well, time to put away the Mexico flag (for now).

Can't believe that the World Cup is over :( So many great goals, games, meltdowns, and reactions! The wait for 2018 is going to be a long one. Luckily we have other tournaments in between to pass the time. Can't wait!

It was great experiencing the World Cup here on GAF. Thanks everyone!

CTLance

what are the racist schottenwitze you are thinking about? cause I cannot think of one.
Well, OK, "racist" is maybe a bit too strong... although, let me don my bean counter hat:

It is portraying a group of people as having a trait that is generally considered detrimental and brands them with a negative stereotype, in short it's a sort of casual, low-key racism.
There's also a certain uneasiness about their closeness and rarely even shared genealogy with the jokes about jews of old that keeps some people on their toes, but let's just ignore that particular aspect, for the love of all that is good. Please, I'm begging here.

Anyway. Doesn't matter just how close to taboos we're dancing here:

It has no place in any official event near "historically dangerous" monuments, featuring representatives of the German public. That's the point. We're not talking about comedians telling a raunchy joke on stage - we're talking about the official parade and afterparty held for the homecoming of our Nationalelf, and them doing something stupid in front of 500k Germans, numerous cameras and countless TV watchers around the world.

(Please keep in mind we're still looking at this from the no fun allowed angle, by now for the sake of the argument more than anything else.)

spekkeh

Banned
I can imagine that gauchos were distraught, and germans elated. So it's hardly mocking, just an accurate depiction of reality.

^ beautiful mural.

According to Wikipedia "Gaucho" is equivalent of calling someone from the United States a "Cowboy" it's not a dregatory, or a negative way of describing the people in thier respectable countries.

Hate to still talk about this non-issue but... How's what they sang any different than say, singing "Cowboys walking with their head down.. Gerrman walking like this ..." Etc. If they happened to play and beat the US in the finals? People would laugh at that... Yet since we are talking about South American countries and Argentie here, it's conveyed as "poor taste"?!? Gimme a break with this super sensitive, PC bullshit.

lol. pls let this be sarcasm

no. if you make million and millions of euros and win the most prestigous tournament in the world and get cheered on by millions of people why is it so hard to chill and refrain yourself from aping your opponents, who also did try to win the whole thing and failed at it.

the german team had several top 4 finishes and top 2 finishes in the last decade. they should know how it feels not to be the winner.

I also remember german media criticizing the argentinean team for singing some song about maradonna being better then pele privately.
^ beautiful mural.

According to Wikipedia "Gaucho" is equivalent of calling someone from the United States a "Cowboy" it's not a dregatory, or a negative way of describing the people in thier respectable countries.

Hate to still talk about this non-issue but... How's what they sang any different than say, singing "Cowboys walking with their head down.. Gerrman walking like this ..." Etc. If they happened to play and beat the US in the finals? People would laugh at that... Yet since we are talking about South American countries and Argentie here, it's conveyed as "poor taste"?!? Gimme a break with this super sensitive, PC bullshit.

they were imitating apes while singing the argentines walk like this.

also i talked to several argentines that work and live here in germany and nobody seems to see it as a funny joke.

Croyles

no. if you make million and millions of euros and win the most prestigous tournament in the world and get cheered on by millions of people why is it so hard to chill and refrain yourself from aping your opponents, who also did try to win the whole thing and failed at it.

the german team had several top 4 finishes and top 2 finishes in the last decade. they should know how it feels not to be the winner.

I also remember german media criticizing the argentinean team for singing some song about maradonna being better then pele privately.

they were imitating apes while singing the argentines walk like this.

also i talked to several argentines that work and live here in germany and nobody seems to see it as a funny joke.

I hate that this is still a (non)issue.
They weren't imitating apes for gods sake, they were just imitating people having their "heads down".

I can't believe people are making such a meal out of this.

Croyles

Of course football players imitate apes, most of them have lower cognitive abilities than our troglodyte friends.

Right, but they never do it on purpose, they are just apes by nature.

Now that my fellow guilt complex germans, was an insult. Know the difference. :p

Common guys, nothing to be ashamed of. It was just a harmless joke.

yeah i lost a lot of sympathy for the ilk though. especially klose. i always regarded him as a hero since highschool and my worship kinda peaked this WC with his backstory (him being the only member left from the 2002 team, him becomming the top wc scorer and the player with the most WC games played after Lothar Matthaeus). I really cant like him anymore.

Croyles

yeah i lost a lot of sympathy for the ilk though. especially klose. i always regarded him as a hero since highschool and my worship kinda peaked this WC with his backstory (him being the only member left from the 2002 team, him becomming the top wc scorer and the player with the most WC games played after Lothar Matthaeus). I really cant like him anymore.

LOL. An actual LOL. Like I really laughed out loud.

How you can support any footballer ever is beyond me, considering the ridiculous shenanigans they get up to on a daily basis. This was kindergarten levels of play in comparison.
I'm sure Kevin Großkreutz throwing a kebab at someone was a national tragedy for you.

The Premier League will give you a heart attack. Don't ever leave the house.

and that's what's wrong with Germany, people like you make me ashamed to be German actually

Yep.

Also, awesome painting. I saw a few others, including Germany lifting the cup. Anyone got a link to more of them?

Also, not sure if it was posted here or in FootyGaf but it's worth sharing it again. Beautiful rotoscope animation of the World Cup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLphIufs8_4

Pezking

they were imitating apes while singing the argentines walk like this

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in quite some time.

The "So gehn die [insert losing side here]"-Chant was invented many years ago by supporters of VfL Bochum and has been used by fans of the german national team as well, at least since Euro 2008.

It's one of the least offensive chants I know. It just makes clear that the winners are happy and the losers are sad. Winners dance, losers hang their heads. That's it. When it comes to chants against the opposing team, this is by far the tamest one I've ever heard in a Bundesliga stadium.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in quite some time.

The "So gehn die [insert losing side here]"-Chant was invented many years ago by supporters of VfL Bochum and has been used by fans of the german national team as well, at least since Euro 2008.

It's one of the least offensive chants I know. It just makes clear that the winners are happy and the losers are sad. Winners dance, losers hang their heads. That's it. When it comes to chants against the opposing team, this is by far the tamest one I've ever heard in a Bundesliga stadium.

Wrong.

Gaucho nennt man in Argentinien, Paraguay, Uruguay und in Brasilien vorwiegend Nachkommen von iberischen Einwanderern und Indigenas, die in den Pampas Viehzucht betreiben.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaucho

If they had said "Argentinier" instead of "Gaucho's" then ok but Gaucho's is a clear insult.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It's funny how small minded most germans in here are.

Imagine this fellow neighbors. Let's say Argentina wins and makes the same stupid dance and calls you guys "Bauern" or whatever ...you would not be ok with this and the shitstorm would be insane but since your beloved country won then of course it's ok and the media are just on high horses.

Ridiculous.

TCRS

Banned
I don't understand anything that is going on .... I need to be explained what has happened because I am totally lost here

I'm glad I'm not the only one. All I see are some dudes dancing and a phrase I don't understand.

basically during the celebrations in Berlin the moderators introduced the players in groups and each group had sort of planned a sketch as intro. the group with klose did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfhCnYAVz8M

"that's how the gauchos walk" when they're ducking (gauchos refering to the argentinians)
"and that's how the germans walk" when walking upright.

and guilt ridden people here in germany (especially in the media) have heavily criticized those players for making fun of the argentinians and possibly offending them. normal people see this as a harmless version of a harmless fan song. it's a fan service basically to sing this song. so yeah.

fuenf

Blablurn

you have a team which a shitton of people between 20 and 25. let them party. for fucks sake. it was just a lil song. i really dislike this negative atmosphere in my country from time to time.

fans are doing this freaking dance since years already. who cares if some lads do this now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAyxdom0968

is müller now a bad person? i dont think so.

Auf Wiedersehen, Gute Nacht.

aTTckr

I understand that journalists have to feign outrage over Gauchogate since that's basically their job, but other "regular" people? How can you live your live like that, constantly looking for the next thing to be offended by, what is the satisfaction in it? Are you looking for something that makes you feel superior to those players? Have some of you become so used to having to be outraged over insignificant things like this, that you started to believe that you're actually outraged? I'm really curious, as I can't understand it all.

fuenf

Imagine this fellow neighbors. Let's say Argentina wins and makes the same stupid dance and calls you guys "Bauern" or whatever ...you would not be ok with this and the shitstorm would be insane but since your beloved country won then of course it's ok and the media are just on high horses.

Ridiculous.

?? non Bayern fans call the FC Bayern, Bauern. BVB players are called Hurensöhne (sons of bitches). You've got Scheiße 04 etc.

Do you even know football?

Blablurn

?? non Bayern fans call the FC Bayern, Bauern. BVB players are called Hurensöhne (sons of bitches). You've got Scheiße 04 etc.

Do you even know football?

and during every world cup u see foreign media calling the german national team nazis or giving them names.

do we care? nooooooo.

Ridiculous.

Christ lol

You mofo's in here need to get over yourself.

#FuckBayernThough

basically during the celebrations in Berlin the moderators introduced a group of players and each group had sort of planned a sketch as intro. the group with klose did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfhCnYAVz8M

"that's how the gauchos walk" when they're ducking (gauchos refering to the argentinians)
"and that's how the germans walk" when walking upright.

and guilt ridden people here in germany (especially in the media) have heavily criticized those players for making fun of the argentinians and possibly offending them. normal people see this as a harmless version of a harmless fan song. it's a fan service basically to sing this song. so yeah.

ah, thanks for summarizing it! Germans shouldn't make fun of how people walk because we got a slew of videos from British comedians making fun of Germans walking.

John Cleese from Fawlty Towers doing the WALK

fuenf

and during every world cup u see foreign media calling the german national team nazis or giving them names.

do we care? nooooooo.

Yeah and why doesnt the media acknowledge that the whole World Cup is about showing superiority in a sport?

Well, of course it is troubling, because it fosters nationalism not just in Germany but all over the world. The whole concept of being part of a nation, if someones blood runs through your veins is crazy and old fashioned... but who cares? It's fun. It's entertaining and everybody with a working brain should be able to differentiate between sports and racism.

But I guess we should all walk with our heads down (no pun intended), dress & live like a hobo and vote the left party (lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom