• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup Final |OT| Germany defeats Argentina 1-0 after extra time

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Easily the best WC since Japan/Korea 2002. Spain's destruction and Brazils collapse are among the biggest shocks in sporting history. Never been anything like it.

In all Germany deserved winners as well, and a great sign off for the likes of Lahm and Klose.
Are you implying that Japan/Korea was [gasp] good?
I agree with the rest though.

edit
Oh and about this so called Gauchogate. That's one of the obnoxious things I was talking about before people got their panties in a bunch. Still, I don't think that it was racist at all, just bit stupid. Not really outrage worthy.

Fritz

My view on the Gaucho "gate":. Nobody i know here (Germany) thought it was offensive. Some think it was a bit stupid, yeah but nothing more. Some think that high payed pro's with PR consultants etc. should think better before making things like this but nobody found it really offensive.
These guys stood 2 hours on a truck under the sun, drinking, celebrating and soaking up the thousands cheering fans surrounding them on the way to the Brandenburger Tor. They had a unique moment in their life and then choose a gag to celebrate without thinking that it may be unprofessional or offensive to some.

What the media is riding now is ridicoulous and it's the perfect wagon to hop on for the Football/WC/World Champion Hype haters.

It's irrelevant whether other Germans think its offensive or how drunk they were though.

krYlon

Easily the best WC since Japan/Korea 2002. Spain's destruction and Brazils collapse are among the biggest shocks in sporting history. Never been anything like it.

In all Germany deserved winners as well, and a great sign off for the likes of Lahm and Klose.

2002 was the worst world cup I've ever seen. 2006 was waaay better

Juz

Sad to see Lahm retiring from international football already.

But still, couldn't end it on a more positive note.

Hindle

Banned

edit
Oh and about this so called Gauchogate. That's one of the obnoxious things I was talking about before people got their panties in a bunch. Still, I don't think that it was racist at all, just bit stupid. Not really outrage worthy.

2002 was excellent, the last truely great Brazillian team signing off with a WC win. France imploding in the group stage, South Korea reaching the semis.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
2002 was excellent, the last truely great Brazillian team signing off with a WC win. France imploding in the group stage, South Korea reaching the semis.
South Korea advancing with the help of a referee with heroin up in his ass is one of the main reason so many people think that 2002 was the worst WC in recent memory.
Oh, and...
AQlqmIR.jpg

krYlon

Even the US got shafted in the quarters (that's how bad Germany were), the standard of officiating was atrocious. South Korea got a piggyback ride to the semis.

Brazil, yeah they had great players, but we'll never know if they were a great team. They were never tested. Never had to play a top tier team (no England does not count, nor does that German side). All the big teams either self-destructed or were shafted by refs. I don't mind surprise packages doing well, but only if they deserve it. And a world cup needs at least one or two titanic struggles between the big guns.

cae

Didn't expect that from Lahm. Will be missed.

I'm a "gaucho", and don't care about what they did. I don't find it funny, just not offensive nor remarkable.

Haunted

I'm actually shocked.

I suppose there's something to be said for retiring at the very peak. Gerd Müller retired after the World Cup win in '74 even though he was only 28 and absolutely in his prime. Just imagine the records the man could've set up with a couple more years.

Unsure what the correct place to discuss this is...

But forget Qatar, it's time to take the cup from Russia.

I'd put 2018 in England, 2022 in Australia, 2026 in USA and 2030 in Argentina/Uruguay.

That keeps the confederation host rotation in order.

KingJolly

Banned

edit

2002 was one of the best, way better than 2006 and 2010 to me.

The South Koreans cheating was so plain obvious that it was amusing and hilarious and England were decent back then. Plus the countries it it were awesome : Denmark, Sweden , Ireland, Tunisia, Paraguay

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Unsure what the correct place to discuss this is...

But forget Qatar, it's time to take the cup from Russia.

I'd put 2018 in England, 2022 in Australia, 2026 in USA and 2030 in Argentina/Uruguay.

That keeps the confederation host rotation in order.

How's the summer heat in Australia?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Today is the first time during the whole WC 2014 people actually post about how great 2002 was. I must be in the Twilight Zone.

Oh, and...
AQlqmIR.jpg

Shit like this is so incredibly pathetic. It's like they forget they're fucking being recorded or something.

It's even worse now that internet is so big and we got gifs, hd, and more angles. They should leave acting to the actors. But it's all FIFA's fault for not using the tech available to prevent such bullshit.

Randam

He's overselling the aggression but he actually did have a ball kicked at him with a lot of strength and from a very short distance. Not nearly as pathetic as something like this:
What?
No need to fall down.
And especially not to hold your face.

meant the rivaldo gif.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I guess if you're a pro like Lahm, in the back half of your career, international play doesn't really pay as much, and it's just sacrificing your body on someone else's dime. I know a lot of pros in other sports like to skip Olympics for this same reason. Playing during your offseason is really damaging once you pass 30.

What?
No need to fall down.
And especially not to hold your face.

Is this a cultural thing or something? Whenever is see a hockey/basketball/handegg player get injured, they grab the injury. Whenever I see a footy player get injured, they grab their face. That's weird right? Is that just me? Can Euro GAF or South American GAF comment?

I guess if you're a pro like Lahm, in the back half of your career, international play doesn't really pay as much, and it's just sacrificing your body on someone else's dime. I know a lot of pros in other sports like to skip Olympics for this same reason. Playing during your offseason is really damaging once you pass 30.

Is this a cultural thing or something? Whenever is see a hockey/basketball/handegg player get injured, they grab the injury. Whenever I see a footy player get injured, they grab their face. That's weird right? Is that just me? Can Euro GAF or South American GAF comment?

They're trying to get the other guy sent off.

Elbow/slap to the face = red card. Which is what that guy is doing hoping the ref will see it

Don't condone it at all

reminder

Lahm played 10 years in the Nationalmannschaft and he retires after winning the world cup. There's no better time to resign. Of course he could've played the euro 2016 easily, but no one guarantees that germany will dominate there, too. So if germany gets knocked out early in the cup, a resign would look more like "fleeing".

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'd want to go out on top too.

Although I'm pretty sure Germany won't have much trouble taking the next Euro home.

Haunted

Although I'm pretty sure Germany won't have much trouble taking the next Euro home.
Don't jinx it!

Lots of teams coming in with a chip on their shoulder. Italy and Spain will be furiously trying to redeem themselves, France to make the next step, Netherlands to make the final one.

I also wonder how the expansion to 24 teams will influence the quality of the qualification and the group stage at the main event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom