• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2021 TOP 10 RETIRED games via howlongtobeat.com + POLL

I did my part:

• Total voters

Bartski

Gold Member
Videogame stat site howlongtobeat.com started their 2021 stat review. Turns out according to however they collect their data, some of this year's best games were those that people dropped out of the most.

Blogs are starting to pick up on the fact Returnal making the list, which also features The Ascent, Outriders and is topped by Twelve Minutes.

Which of those did YOU start just to realize you have better things to do?

returnal-players.jpg.webp

Last edited:
Some of these games are mediocre or niche gameplay style. If casuals pick these up I can see them dropping out on a lot of them.
Surprised returnal is there unless it is too hard for some people. Which would make sense why they drop it.

GHG

Gold Member
Returnal, the medium and the ascent for me.

I plan on returning (heh) to returnal since you can save mid run now and the ascent eventually.

The Medium is just trash.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I had a lot of fun with the new Oddworld but suddenly i completely lost interest, dropped out and never came back. Very unusual behavior on my part.

We’ll see if I get back to The Ascent. It’s fun but it gets repetitive and there are some weird difficulty spikes.

Subnautica Below Zero is good but it’s very similar to the first game, at least in the beginning stages.

Not sure how Twelve Minutes can be number one considering the short length. I for one liked it.

Neilg

Gamepass or ps+ games shouldn't really count - i'd have never bought oddworld knowing full well it isn't my kind of game, but I still played 2 levels then dropped it.
I imagine the same goes for 12 minutes.

Fbh

Is 12 minutes that bad? Almost every impression I've seen of it is negative or average at best.
And so many people not even bothering to finish a game that, according to the same site, is only 4 hours long is pretty damning

Last edited:

tommib

Is 12 minutes that bad? Almost every impression I've seen of it is negative or average at best.
And so many people not even bothering to finish a game that, according to the same site, is only 4 hours long is pretty damning
I think it’s a super interesting concept but it’s very cryptic. You lose a lot of time not knowing what do to. And you’re basically stuck in 4 rooms.

I very rarely not finish a game unless it is absolute broken or absolute bad. I can see Outriders being in that list as me and my friends got bored of it so much. It just wasnt a good game. We did finish it tho but didnt even touch the post-endgame stuff. I had more fun playing The Division but at least that game had a phenomenal atmosphere. Outriders had nothing good besides maybe the cool powers.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The Ascent. It could've been so good... and then I had no idea where to go and what to do

DonJorginho

Banned
Returnal I left after I got a glitch freezing my save on the final stretch of that ice world/underwater section.

No real interest to play it anytime soon tbh despite enjoying my time with the game overall.

GymWolf

I completed and enjoyed all the game i played from that list (returnal, outriders, the ascent, biomutant)

No one was perfect or outstanding but i had my dose of fun nevertheless.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Surprised by Twelve Minutes because it’s such a short game.

Cyber Shadow I can see filtering a lot of people because it’s very difficult, took me 218 deaths to beat.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
If I posted the games I recently dropped I would get banned for console warring, but Gamepass makes it so you don't have to care when you haven't invested any money. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Twelve Minutes was the only one I started and disliked enough to stop. I finished The Medium despite not thinking it was very good.

Most of those I didn't bother playing at all.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Some of these games are mediocre or niche gameplay style. If casuals pick these up I can see them dropping out on a lot of them.
Surprised returnal is there unless it is too hard for some people. Which would make sense why they drop it.
One thing this list of games has is just about all of them got some hype despite being B-tier kinds of games. Some of them somehow squeezed more hype than big budget AAA games.

Then the games released and they realized most of them dont have legs and arent worth playing long term.

Most of the games on the list I remember reviews saying it's repetitive gameplay.

ReBurn

Gold Member
By casuals do you mean people who value their time enough not to spend it on grinding, repetitive gameplay loops?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game has some problems but is this really one of them? Press up on the d-pad to ping your objective. Press left to call a cab.
I expected it to be "dumber" and just more fun.
It turned out too spongy, too rpg (for my taste with twin stick shooters) and it stuttered like hell when we played to coop it on pc

CitizenZ

Banned
Outriders easily best new IP on the list that has a ton of potential. Im not a fan of them now going against their original plan which was, here it is and have fun. Now here comes changes, dlc, blah blah blah. You should simply move on to the sequel, you made your money back, the foundation(which EVERY dev who releases a new IP wants) is laid. I mean, seriously, I could easily lay down dozen of ideas now. It was simply a fun, 3rd person shooter and enjoyed maxing all characters and playing some of the end game which just was bland. Sequel def. will be hype just like im waiting for the Remnant from the Ashes sequel.

Just Oddworld pretty much. I can see why so many gamepass games are at the top. I honestly just downloaded it because i felt obligated to download a new game for free. I played it for 20 minutes and deleted it. I assume thats what a lot of gamepass titles are like

Last edited:
Returnal for me...tried multiple times to enjoy it but got sick of it pretty quickly
never had the same issues with other games with similar mechanics...suspect that if it was a third party title it would be forgotten even quicker

Also wanna add in far cry 6....the game lost all of the living world feeling the previous game had due to a number of immersion breaking stuff like pop in cars....respawing enemies
and the setting i found pretty boring

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Tried to get into The Medium since I liked Until Dawn on PS4, but I got bored pretty quickly and never returned. Since I have SO many games, movies, books and anime on my backlog I decided it would be best just to drop it entirely.

None of this is new. I remember when achievements started with the 360 we got insight on how many people actually finished their games. It was always somewhere between 15-40%.

Bartski

Gold Member
Quick question for the poll, do we select the games we finished or have abandonned?
Doing your part in abandoning.
Also I really liked 12 minutes. I think it was just a bit too hard and frustrating for most people to play without a guide which kind if beats the purpose.

Soulstorm was ok till this one level soo buggy on release, they just lost me.

BlakeofT

I didn't like 12 minutes and I couldn't get my pal to try outriders.

I think it's weird that Cybershadow is on the list. It's pretty fun and not very long.

Top Bottom