• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2021 Yearly sales of PS5 and Xbox Series X worldwide

Rivet

They sold all that were available.

Can we please stop with these monthly sales by country etc until you can actually buy them in store everywhere.

Where would be the fun ?

Yes, you're right, all those sales comparisons make zero sense until every console is on shelves.

Last edited:
Right now it's all down to who can produce the most systems. It's still interesting to look at the differences in supply though and to speculate on why that's happening.

They sold all that were available.

Can we please stop with these monthly sales by country etc until you can actually buy them in store everywhere.

NO!

IqI4JnM.gif

Plantoid

These threads are always the same, switch is a monster and playstation sells double the Xbox numbers...

Also, they were good back in the days, today is all about "engagement" and micro transactions

I guess I'll just never understand why anybody EVER cares about sales unless they own stock in Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo. Like why does it matter as long as they're all selling well enough to be successful? Do people get some sort of satisfaction from their console "winning"? Is it some exclusive club to buy the console that's more popular that I'm unaware of? Is it insecurity to make sure they bought the "right" console? Maybe I'm out of touch but I've never given a second thought to any sales information because I've never been worried about any of the 3 companies going out of business or out of the video game industry

Bragr

Banned
I guess I'll just never understand why anybody EVER cares about sales unless they own stock in Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo.
Really? you got nothing you care about? a movie selling out and spawning a sequel? a favorite musician selling in the millions? a book reaching a large audience? a favorite game doing well and turning into a franchise? nothing?

Last edited:
Really? you got nothing you care about? a movie selling out and spawning a sequel? a favorite musician selling in the millions? a book reaching a large audience? a favorite game doing well and turning into a franchise? nothing?

I'm not worried about Xbox or Playstation or Nintendo ceasing to make consoles, so none of those are really applicable to console sales being relevant in the slightest. Unless one of them is doing Wii U levels of bad, why does it matter to what degree of success a console manufacturer is having? Individual games are a different thing entirely because it's way more volatile whether a game warrants a sequel or not

Bragr

Banned
I'm not worried about Xbox or Playstation or Nintendo ceasing to make consoles, so none of those are really applicable to console sales being relevant in the slightest. Unless one of them is doing Wii U levels of bad, why does it matter to what degree of success a console manufacturer is having? Individual games are a different thing entirely because it's way more volatile whether a game warrants a sequel or not
Because when a console is doing well it's more likely they will continue making consoles. Both Nintendo and Xbox were in serious danger last-gen, it's worth paying some attention.

But if you care about gaming, I don't understand why it's NOT interesting. Who is winning the sales race is fascinating, especially when you use all the systems yourself. You don't think it's interesting how well the Switch is selling at all?

I guess I'll just never understand why anybody EVER cares about sales unless they own stock in Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo. Like why does it matter as long as they're all selling well enough to be successful? Do people get some sort of satisfaction from their console "winning"? Is it some exclusive club to buy the console that's more popular that I'm unaware of? Is it insecurity to make sure they bought the "right" console? Maybe I'm out of touch but I've never given a second thought to any sales information because I've never been worried about any of the 3 companies going out of business or out of the video game industry
It’s just interesting for some. Nobody cares if you do or don’t care dude so relax

kingfey

Banned
You dont get discusion if everyone think like you. There has to be a war, for us to have a discussion. That is how we get active in this site. no one likes boring topics.

enjoy the popcorn in the mean time.
Justin Bieber Popcorn GIF

I'm not sure what about my comment would imply I was worked up or in any need of "relaxing". And there's really no logical reason to care about it so I was wondering if there was any reason people cared other than "my console is better than yours" pettiness
Interesting is logical. Data and statistics is interesting what more do you need.

You’re reaching for it to be petty. For example, I care about Tesla stock and I dont even own one or the stock. It’s just not that serious for one to care abt this

Last edited:

kyoji

You guys are sick & sickening why try so hard to stop information from being shared?
Because they would much rather float disinformation. Any hard facts and data is frowned on or quickly dismissed because it shows perception doesnt = reality. This forum is full of people who live off false perceptions. Acknowledging long standing metrics other factual information and data would otherwise mean accepting reality and admitting to being wrong.

Kokoloko85

because it has alot of supplies. and those scalpers dont want to get cheap console. there is little profit for them. They can make 300-500 profit from ps5 and xsx.

You question would be, why are scalpers getting these console faster, than normal customer.

If scalpers arent getting them why arent normal customers not buying it?

Klayzer

Because they would much rather float disinformation. Any hard facts and data is frowned on or quickly dismissed because it shows perception doesnt = reality. This forum is full of people who live off false perceptions. Acknowledging long standing metrics other factual information and data would otherwise mean accepting reality and admitting to being wrong.
Which begs another question. Why go into a topic about sales to complain about sales talk?

There's so many disingenuous posters pretending to not care, because their favorite console is not leading.

We need more factual info not less. If you get angry at numbers, more than likely its for fanboy reasons.

Pedro Motta

because it has alot of supplies. and those scalpers dont want to get cheap console. there is little profit for them. They can make 300-500 profit from ps5 and xsx.

You question would be, why are scalpers getting these console faster, than normal customer.
No, my question is stil the same, scalpers don't want Series S because no one else wants them. If it had extreme demand like Series X or PS5 they would want them and make a profit on them.

Which begs another question. Why go into a topic about sales to complain about sales talk?

There's so many disingenuous posters pretending to not care, because their favorite console is not leading.

We need more factual info not less. If you get angry at numbers, more than likely its for fanboy reasons.
Because context matters, and you guys love leaving out the context. That's why celebrating UK physical sales looks a bit stupid from the outside.

kingfey

Banned
No, my question is stil the same, scalpers don't want Series S because no one else wants them. If it had extreme demand like Series X or PS5 they would want them and make a profit on them.
You dont buy something, if its cheap.

Scalpers won't get series S, because it's 300$. They don't get any profit from it.

People can wait for another to drop. They won't pay 450 for the series S, from the Scalpers.

On other hand, xsx and ps5 are 500. There is no console that is higher than them in their families. So scalpers exploit that.

waquzy

Not anymore, not even close to that. 100-200 max these days...

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You dont buy something, if its cheap.

Scalpers won't get series S, because it's 300$. They don't get any profit from it.

People can wait for another to drop. They won't pay 450 for the series S, from the Scalpers.

On other hand, xsx and ps5 are 500. There is no console that is higher than them in their families. So scalpers exploit that.

This is not true at all.

I've been a collector for years and people will scalp a $19.99 item just to make a $5-$10 profit.

Scalpers aren't just people who have bots running to purchase a thousand of the same item, they're also people who understand the industry and are looking to make a quick buck.

The reason why the Xbox Series S isn't being bought by scalpers is that the demand is low and they're going to have a much harder time selling the console. If the Xbox Series S goes in stock and it's available for hours, then just imagine how hard it's going to be for a scalper to sell that Xbox Series S console.

kingfey

Banned
This is not true at all.

I've been a collector for years and people will scalp a $19.99 item just to make a $5-$10 profit.

Scalpers aren't just people who have bots running to purchase a thousand of the same item, they're also people who understand the industry and are looking to make a quick buck.

The reason why the Xbox Series S isn't being bought by scalpers is that the demand is low and they're going to have a much harder time selling the console. If the Xbox Series S goes in stock and it's available for hours, then just imagine how hard it's going to be for a scalper to sell that Xbox Series S console.
Series S scalpers price is at XSX price. People will rather buy xsx, than pay xsx price for the xss. That is what you are missing. Its why it's not worth for scalpers to buy xss. There is no gain for them.

If I see xss at the XsX price, I won't buy it. For other console, I have no choice.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Series S scalpers price is at XSX price. People will rather buy xsx, than pay xsx price for the xss. That is what you are missing. Its why it's not worth for scalpers to buy xss. There is no gain for them.

If I see xss at the XsX price, I won't buy it. For other console, I have no choice.

That's not true at all.

People are buying the RTX 3060 for more than $600, and that's almost the same price as the RTX 3070 Ti. People would rather buy the 3070Ti, but the demand for RTX cards are high, so they're willing to pay almost double the price for the RTX 3060.

Right now, the Xbox Series S is on eBay and Mercari for $300-$400 (mostly in the 350 range) and that's close to retail price, which proves the demand is not that high. A product in high demand would be price much higher. People who have it priced over or close to $400 don't understand the marketing at the moment.

It's very likely that these people are just selling off their used console or thought the demand was going to be higher for the Xbox Series S console.

As I said before, I'm a collector and you see scalpers all the time and these things are easy to see.

kingfey

Banned
That's not true at all.

People are buying the RTX 3060 for more than $600, and that's almost the same price as the RTX 3070 Ti. People would rather buy the 3070Ti, but the demand for RTX cards are high, so they're willing to pay almost double the price for the RTX 3060.

Right now, the Xbox Series S is on eBay and Mercari for $300-$400 (mostly in the 350 range) and that's close to retail price, which proves the demand is not that high. A product in high demand would be price much higher. People who have it priced over or close to $400 don't understand the marketing at the moment.

It's very likely that these people are just selling off their used console or thought the demand was going to be higher for the Xbox Series S console.

As I said before, I'm a collector and you see scalpers all the time and these things are easy to see.
When there is too many stocks, you will have a hard time selling your slightly expensive product.

Xsx and ps5 is having production issues. This affects the supply stock, which increases the demand for it.

Low stock= more demand. Because you cant satisfy everyone.
More stock=less demand. Because you are satisfying everyone.
That what you learn in economics.

The higher demand for the xsx and ps5 is that they are facing production issues, which affects the supply stock.

When you have less than 10 ps5/xsx, you wont be able to satisfy everyone.
But when you have 30+ xss, you can satisfy people's demand.

Scalpers are taking advantage of that situation. They are banking on the production issues. The xss is still being supplied, because it's easier to make for MS. Its why you are seeing alot of available. It exceeding the demand, which makes it less demanding for people.

In simple term, lower stock will always have more demand.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
When there is too many stocks, you will have a hard time selling your slightly expensive product.

Xsx and ps5 is having production issues. This affects the supply stock, which increases the demand for it.

Low stock= more demand. Because you cant satisfy everyone.
More stock=less demand. Because you are satisfying everyone.
That what you learn in economics.

The higher demand for the xsx and ps5 is that they are facing production issues, which affects the supply stock.

When you have less than 10 ps5/xsx, you wont be able to satisfy everyone.
But when you have 30+ xss, you can satisfy people's demand.

Scalpers are taking advantage of that situation. They are banking on the production issues. The xss is still being supplied, because it's easier to make for MS. Its why you are seeing alot of available. It exceeding the demand, which makes it less demanding for people.

In simple term, lower stock will always have more demand.

You're contradicting yourself.

First, you tell people that the scalpers don't want it because they make little profit, but now you're saying MS is producing more and that's why it's widely available and there's less demand for it.

So basically, you just admitted that the Xbox Series S is not really in demand and that's why scalpers don't want it.

Here's the thing: If the PlayStation 5 is selling more units than the Xbox Series S (even though it's easier to manufacture), then that means there's less demand for the console because gamers aren't nearly as interested in it compared to the PS5 and the XSX.

You would have a point if we were 2 years after the console release, but we have seen the Xbox Series S stock for hours at retailers earlier in the year, which means the demand for the console was not that high.

kingfey

Banned
You're contradicting yourself.

First, you tell people that the scalpers don't want it because they make little profit, but now you're saying MS is producing more and that's why it's widely available and there's less demand for it.

So basically, you just admitted that the Xbox Series S is not really in demand and that's why scalpers don't want it.

Here's the thing: If the PlayStation 5 is selling more units than the Xbox Series S (even though it's easier to manufacture), then that means there's less demand for the console because gamers aren't nearly as interested in it compared to the PS5 and the XSX.

You would have a point if we were 2 years after the console release, but we have seen the Xbox Series S stock for hours at retailers earlier in the year, which means the demand for the console was not that high.
"Simply put, high demand products are products which a large (and increasing!) number of consumers find desirable and wish to purchase. ... Because of the supposed scarcity of these products in high demand but low supply, they become even more coveted in the eyes of the consumers.Jun 28, 2017"

"As we will see after, if demand is greater than the supply, there is a shortage (more items are demanded at a higher price, less items are offered at this same price, therefore, there is a shortage). ... If the supply increases, the price decreases, and if the supply decreases, the price increases."

These are your 2 examples. Xss is seeing higher supply. The supply is exceeding how much it can sell.

We learned this in economics. Short supply leads to high demand, and value rises. High surplus supply leads to low demand, because everyone can buy it. Which makes the demand less.

Your ps5 to xss is invalid, as those 2 cater to different audiences.

Please make a thread again when you have actual data.

Waste clickbait title.
All those threads are actually stupid. It's no longer 3 statinary consoles vs. each other. Now we have Nintendo with a 2 in 1 system so of course they sell tons, because they got the Wii and the DS customers combined. Microsoft is going all in on Xcloud/Pc/Smartphones/Tablets and whatever. For that reason they logically sell less consoles and it's no longer their business plan to focus on it. Sony is still all in on selling as many consoles as possible consoles,

It's clear how it will end: Red>Blue>Green and all those weekly thread's only purpose is console warring and trolling. Those numbers became meaningless. I mean they always were, but at least we had the same terms which we no longer have.

Leyasu

Banned
No, none of those things that you listed interest me.

The sales that interest me are the things that I sell

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
"Simply put, high demand products are products which a large (and increasing!) number of consumers find desirable and wish to purchase. ... Because of the supposed scarcity of these products in high demand but low supply, they become even more coveted in the eyes of the consumers.Jun 28, 2017"

"As we will see after, if demand is greater than the supply, there is a shortage (more items are demanded at a higher price, less items are offered at this same price, therefore, there is a shortage). ... If the supply increases, the price decreases, and if the supply decreases, the price increases."

These are your 2 examples. Xss is seeing higher supply. The supply is exceeding how much it can sell.

We learned this in economics. Short supply leads to high demand, and value rises. High surplus supply leads to low demand, because everyone can buy it. Which makes the demand less.

Your ps5 to xss is invalid, as those 2 cater to different audiences.

Again, you're wrong.

You're also misinterpreting the articles.

Short supply doesn't always lead to high demand. Companies ship an item in low quantities because they know that item is not going to sell nearly as well as the others. They don't often ship items separately. They'll ship 5 different items in the same box and the ones with low quantities will sell out during its release and it doesn't create higher demand.

Consoles often sell out during its launch week and you cannot gauge the demand unless you start shipping more units.

Even though the Xbox Series S is easier to produce, it's still getting beat in units by the PlayStation 5. SO this means it's not about MS being able to produce more units, it's about not being nearly as popular as the other products. If we're seeing Xbox Series S consoles on the shelves and the PlayStation 5 and/or Xbox Series X continues to outsell it, then that means the Xbox Series S is far less popular.

This conversation was about scalpers and the Xbox Series S. You told me that scalpers aren't going for the XSS because there's little profit to be made, but now you're saying "The supply is exceeding how much it can sell."

This is my third time pointing it out. Are you going to finally acknowledge that your point was wrong or not?

kingfey

Banned
Even though the Xbox Series S is easier to produce, it's still getting beat in units by the PlayStation 5
Are you seriously comparing the ps5, which had 120m ps4, to series S, which had 50m?

Consoles often sell out during its launch week and you cannot gauge the demand unless you start shipping more units.
Isnt this what you are doing now?
You have a launch console, with low stock, so the demand would way significantly higher.

This conversation was about scalpers and the Xbox Series S. You told me that scalpers aren't going for the XSS because there's little profit to be made, but now you're saying "The supply is exceeding how much it can sell."
How do you think scalpers make money? They go after the product, creating a low supply, which creates high demand. Thus jacking up the price to make a profit.

They can't do that with series S. MS produces that console at higher rate. By the time scalpers get alot, the next shipment would contain more, which will leave them consoles nobody would buy at the price they are demanding.

Thus, series S is not profitable for them.

To end this discussion.

Scalpers create scarce with the new consoles. We saw this, when they used bots to buy the console online. Because scalpers were buying the consoles, the actual consumers weren't getting any of these products.
Now you have a group of people, with large quantities of products, that people want. They set the price at 800+, thus making the product more valuable.

This is why you have the perception, that series S is not popular.

Top Bottom