• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 Holiday sales report: Xbox Series X wins Black Friday, Nintendo Switch wins Thanksgiving. Top games: COD: Modern Warfare II and GOW: Ragnarok.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Those just look like lists of things people were interested in rather than actual top 5 things purchased.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Really surprised the Series X took the top spot
I am too. I figured XSX would come in last on the holiday sales. Maybe MS sold them all at the MS Store, because the only XSX that were available this afternoon on Walmart online for example were being sold by scalper scum for $700+. They had PS5s and XSS available earlier but now it looks like PS5 is only available from scalper scum too $700+. XSS is available still at $239.00 from Walmart and a little over retail from 3rd party sellers.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
What smells a bit fishy here is the fact that top 5 completely change between Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Like all of a sudden the most popular stuff on Thursday made way to totally different stuff on Friday? Doesn't make sense from a consumer behavior pov.

It is good to see that sales went up yoy, that should give some positive news for the economy.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
There's no scenario where the Series X is surpassing PS5 sales with GoW Ragnarok releasing a few weeks ago. Forget sales for a moment - with no blockbuster game for the holidays, it wouldn't be smart for Microsoft to even produce more Series X than Sony with the PS5. I sincerely respect you keeping us all informed on market activity Eddie, but I think this has to be investigated further.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
There's no scenario where the Series X is surpassing PS5 sales with GoW Ragnarok releasing a few weeks ago. Forget sales for a moment - with no blockbuster game for the holidays, it wouldn't be smart for Microsoft to even produce more Series X than Sony with the PS5. I sincerely respect you keeping us all informed on market activity Eddie, but I think this has to be investigated further.
Pretty sure this data is just a random list of 5 hot items that people are interested in rather than a top 5 items purchased.
Not sure why you think new exclusive software releases are relevant though. I mean MW2 just launched that's a big enough blockbuster for both consoles combined.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Honest question OP....do you post threads about anything other than console war shit? Cuz it seems like fanning those flames is why you post here at all lol.

OT: I didn't really participate in Black Friday this year other than buying some new space heaters and getting my daughter some games on her Steam deck. I wish Steams sales were better. Thought about extending my PS Plus Premium but decided against it. I wish I could have gotten a new monitor but it's not time yet. Had to pull from savings just to cover Christmas for my daughter, which effectively means there's nothing left for me :/. Oh well, we'll see how things shake up next year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
turntables GIF

Kagey K

Banned
Why? I’m not surprised at all. If they had the stock… and PS5 didn’t. Series X is an incredible machine, and Game Pass is pretty dang great.
Every store I went to had stacks of PS5 when you first walked in. Didn't see a lot of people grabbing them. Not to say they weren't eventually purchased but I was there around noon - three.

Not exactly door crasher times.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
[/URL][/URL]

...but it has been foretold by "experts" and "economists" for 3 years that the great depression is starting tomorrow...

The devil is in the details:

https://www.cnbc.com/select/us-credit-card-debt-hits-all-time-high/

Also I'm not sure why people are surprised that the Series X outsold the series S. Consumers are not as stupid as people think. The Series X is a far better value proposition by every measurable metric, especially with the discounts that were available. The vast majority of consumers do not buy based on price alone, they buy based on value.

Just because something is cheap, it doesn't make it good value. Price alone does not determine that.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Pretty sure this data is just a random list of 5 hot items that people are interested in rather than a top 5 items purchased.
Not sure why you think new exclusive software releases are relevant though.

Because new exclusive software such as GoW increases customer demand for the compatible console needed to play the game. Which means increased sales for said console.

I mean MW2 just launched that's a big enough blockbuster for both consoles combined.

Umm right and since it's not exclusive it wouldn't change the sales dynamic between the consoles, which has been PS5 outselling Xbox Series.

As expected. Series S and Switch are just so damn cheap and easy to get hold of. Plus they have a shit load of games to play. Nintendo has a great catalogue and Xbox has some good exclusives but mostly GamePass is the selling point.

PS5 isn't easy to get hold off. It's the most expensive console out and the best games to play are a few exclusives you could play on a PS4.

Kagey K

Banned
As expected. Series S and Switch are just so damn cheap and easy to get hold of. Plus they have a shit load of games to play. Nintendo has a great catalogue and Xbox has some good exclusives but mostly GamePass is the selling point.

PS5 isn't easy to get hold off. It's the most expensive console out and the best games to play are a few exclusives you could play on a PS4.
Ps5 is literally everywhere right now.

The shortage just evaporated, and it says Series X won, which was even more rare than the ps5

I thought Series X/S has alot of price cut recently? perhaps that helps alot.
Yes. here you can/could get a Series S for £190 (usually £250). Series X i saw going for £430 (usually £450).

Meanwhile, PS5 has gone from £450 to £480💀 and on Amazon you have to request an invitation to buy it. Any other console you can order for same day or next day delivery.

Last edited:
Ps5 is literally everywhere right now.

The shortage just evaporated, and it says Series X won, which was even more rare than the ps5
That wasn't the case here. Series X has been easy to get hold of for months now. PS5 is still not easy to get hold of. Many retailers are still sold out, selling expensive bundles, or requiring invitations.

Last edited:

Fredrik

But this is Series X, Series S isn’t even on the list, that’s why people are confused here.

PS5 and Ragnarök is still going to sell the most for the month.

Kagey K

Banned
That wasn't the case here. Series X has been easy to get hold of for months now. PS5 is still not easy to get hold of. Many retailers are still sold out, selling expensive bundles, or requiring invitations.
You should DM this guy and see if he can help you.

I know and I indeed left the store. I ended up getting 2 PS5 digital consoles, each with GOW:R codes, dualsense charging stations, and $50 gift cards in-store from Walmart for the price of the consoles.

It was a great fucking deal.
They are super easy to get in Canada; with discounts.

I probably walked by 300 of them in store unsold in the afternoon on Black Friday.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Not sure why you think new exclusive software releases are relevant though. I mean MW2 just launched that's a big enough blockbuster for both consoles combined.

Looking at the articles linked more closely, I agree this looks like a list of hot selling items over Thanksgiving holiday.

modiz

Great showing of Xbox being way more competitive this gen than before, and that's without any major have releases over the year, let alone this holiday.

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm glad we're seeing enough stock to even have them in the top 10. I am surprised that the XSS didn't win overall with the price.

Fredrik

Wouldn't be so sure of that. Black Friday sales tend to make up a large proportion of sales for the month.
We already know Sony has broken sales records for Ragnarök and there is a bundle with a console, even if it’s not on the top list here it could be just below the mark for being mentioned, it all adds up.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Take off your forum goggles and learn a little humility to admit you were wrong in how you interpreted my post instead of doubling or tripling down on your nonsense like a child
I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, and have done so many times.

The fact that I wasn't the only one to see it, says it's not me.

Regardless I dint give a fuck and I'm nor going to continue indulging you sore ass.

Last edited:

modiz

We already know Sony has broken sales records for Ragnarök and there is a bundle with a console, even if it’s not on the top list here it could be just below the mark for being mentioned, it all adds up.
I think Sony also brought a lot of consoles and with that bundles to Europe and here we are talking US black friday sales and US in general for the month so it could very well be that they didn't sell the most consoles.
But it's not that important anyway, both Sony and Microsoft were able to finally ship enough consoles to customers which, after two years, is the best that could happen.

Kagey K

Banned
I think Sony also brought a lot of consoles and with that bundles to Europe and here we are talking US black friday sales and US in general for the month so it could very well be that they didn't sell the most consoles.
But it's not that important anyway, both Sony and Microsoft were able to finally ship enough consoles to customers which, after two years, is the best that could happen.
As someone said earlier consumers that got the console they wanted won in the end.

Corporate posturing means very little.

vivftp

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, and have done so many times.

The fact that I wasn't the only one to see it, says it's not me.

Regardless I dint give a fuck and I'm nor going to continue indulging you sore ass.

The only other person who responded to me was the OP who provided clarification. Dunno who else you're referring to.

Maybe you do have a little problem admitting you were wrong 😉

Either way, have a good night!

Top Bottom