• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 Holiday sales report: Xbox Series X wins Black Friday, Nintendo Switch wins Thanksgiving. Top games: COD: Modern Warfare II and GOW: Ragnarok.

There is no world where a story-driven, cinematic, well paced, 90+ Metacritic AAA Perfect Dark game doesn't fly off shelves.
Yes there is. It will not fly off the shelves at all because it'll be on Gamepass day 1. Actual sales will be horrible as almost every Xbox owner has Gamepass, so no reason to buy the game. The sales will dissapoint MS internally so much, that they unfortunately have to cut budgets for the studio or something like that and they'll only create AA games after, bless Gamepass.

Truth be said, I think any quality game should have the amazing sales it deserves. We get way too much F2P and P2W and other kind of that crap business games. Unfortunately development studios are not about creating fun engaging games anymore, but instead solely focus on how to extract as much money from the players, turning them into cashcow zombies that just buy 1 gatcha to the next.

Also, I really hope Perfect Dark will be truly awesome as I love the franchise since the N64, but knowing MS it will probably be a middling quality game when released (in the year 2035).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Here you go, some folks were wondering why gaming news websites weren't reporting this.

It's still threads about Xbox to keep them in the conversation. 90% of his endless threads are about Xbox and then you can just read his comments to know.

We are not fooled by the "I'm neutral I own all consoles" you and all the xbox warriors do here.

:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Adorable.

Last edited:
So what is this data based on? NPD? Or just some ramdom site?

Adobe? Which NPD has cited in the past, which actually tracks store purchases and receipts and is often reported on by big institutions who also subscribe to the service for the bigger numbers? Tracking Online sales by SKU and other models.

Lol random site, wow.

PlayStation 5 is higher than PS5.

No it's not. Not even close.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Adobe? Which NPD has cited in the past, which actually tracks store purchases and receipts and is often reported on by big institutions who also subscribe to the service for the bigger numbers? Tracking Online sales by SKU and other models.

Lol random site, wow.

It is for me.
GoogleTrends.png

Mr Moose

Not sure why you would type that for Xbox since that term is so low there wouldn't be any blue at all. I can only assume you edited the tags. Because when you just put in PS5 and Playstation 5, PS5 clobbers Playstation 5.

3BwW6Yk.png
Weird.
weird.png

We must be doing something different.

That's good news.
Obviously MS and Sony still selling pretty much every single console they can make.
I'm guessing that with the decrease in GPU sales there is more capacity for both MS and Sony to increase their orders? I mean if they are selling out, why not make as many as you can?

Ozriel

M$FT
So what is this data based on? NPD? Or just some ramdom site?

Was reading the OP that difficult? It’s clearly stated there.

Yes there is. It will not fly off the shelves at all because it'll be on Gamepass day 1. Actual sales will be horrible as almost every Xbox owner has Gamepass, so no reason to buy the game. The sales will dissapoint MS internally so much, that they unfortunately have to cut budgets for the studio or something like that and they'll only create AA games after, bless Gamepass.

And in the world where everyone has Gamepass, you think they pay for the service with bananas?

Also, I really hope Perfect Dark will be truly awesome as I love the franchise since the N64, but knowing MS it will probably be a middling quality game when released (in the year 2035).

But The vast majority of their first party releases in the past two years have hovered in the 80 - 90 MC range…

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
But The vast majority of their first party releases in the past two years have hovered in the 80 - 90 MC range…
This is true. The past two years for Xbox Game Studios games have been pretty damn good:
  • 83 - Grounded
  • 86 - Pentiment
  • 87 - Halo Infinite
  • 92 - Forza Horizon 5
  • 89 - Psychonauts 2
  • 88 - Deathloop
  • 83 - The Outer Worlds
  • 90 - Flight Simulator 2020
  • 82 - Gears 5 Hivebusters (dlc)
  • 85 - Forza Horizon 5 -hot wheels (dlc)
  • 85 - Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • 80 - Gears Tactics
  • 81 - Age of Empires 4
We won't count Bleeding Edge :messenger_tears_of_joy: The studios that Xbox Game Studios has seem to have a stellar track record (even if a couple were developed prior to Xbox owning them, it shows the capability of the studios). To top it off, Sony too has amazing studios and amazingly rated games, God of War Ragnarok being the most recent example.

Last edited:

pasterpl

This is true. The past two years for Xbox Game Studios games have been pretty damn good:
  • 83 - Grounded
  • 86 - Pentiment
  • 87 - Halo Infinite
  • 92 - Forza Horizon 5
  • 89 - Psychonauts 2
  • 88 - Deathloop
  • 83 - The Outer Worlds
We won't count Bleeding Edge :messenger_tears_of_joy: The studios that Xbox Game Studios has seem to have a stellar track record (even if a couple were developed prior to Xbox owning them, it shows the capability of the studios). To top it off, Sony too has amazing studios and amazingly rated games, God of War Ragnarok being the most recent example.
You have missed;

90 - Flight sim
82 - hivebusters (dlc)
85 - forza horizon 5 -hot wheels (dlc)

Mr Moose

Are you two outside of the US by chance? That's the only variable I can think of for the difference. Either that or hax.
I am (England).
I tried different categories in the US for the past 30 days, PlayStation 5 was ahead of PS5 in almost all checks.
PlayStation 5 shows up as PlayStation console, whereas PS5 just says Search term.

I am (England).
I tried different categories in the US for the past 30 days, PlayStation 5 was ahead of PS5 in almost all checks.
PlayStation 5 shows up as PlayStation console, whereas PS5 just says Search term.

It may be that despite you checking US google is giving you results that are different because of your location. I've tried different browsers, as well as my phone which has a different connections and it all comes up the same for me.

Ozriel

M$FT
  • 83 - Grounded
  • 86 - Pentiment
  • 87 - Halo Infinite
  • 92 - Forza Horizon 5
  • 89 - Psychonauts 2
  • 88 - Deathloop
  • 83 - The Outer Worlds

Ori 2 (90%), Gears Tactics (80%), AoE 4 (81%), and Flight Sim (91%) too

Some missteps like Battletoads and Minecraft Dungeons landed in the 70s.

Yeah but this was specifically in the US.

Also not sure how you're getting PS5 having more populous states, but it's only a partial indicator not really set in stone. But it does show that it may be a closer month than people think, regardless of who wins.

Easily every console will have over 1.2 million in November imo. At least.

I said that PS5 had searches in most of the more populous states, and that's a fact reinforced in the graph you provided. I never said it indicated anything other than the fact PS5 was mentioned more in the more populous states.

It actually does not show an indication that it'll be closer than what others think, because it measures nothing of that type of indication whatsoever, just which of the two systems was more searched-for in which states. It is only a partial indicator for potential sales, yes, but so is the report you're referring to in this very thread, if we're talking about which system sold more in the month of November.

Each of the platforms may do over 1.2 million for November but I don't think that's a very high likelihood. However, I think they should each have record-breaking revenue and you don't need 1.2 million units sold to do that.

At my Local Walmart there was still several PS5s in stock after Black Friday but no Xbox’s at all. They must have sold a ton of Xbox’s because they had a monstrous pile of them when I bought a series X that morning for my father in law.

Must've been in Wyoming or Idaho 🤣

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
  • 83 - Grounded
  • 86 - Pentiment
  • 87 - Halo Infinite
  • 92 - Forza Horizon 5
  • 89 - Psychonauts 2
  • 88 - Deathloop
  • 83 - The Outer Worlds
  • 80 - Gears Tactics
  • 81 - Age of Empires 4

Straight bangers.

Xbox output has been great, their only issue is that big tent pole triple A game like god of war. If they get one of those they are on par with Sony imo.

Mr Moose

this is what I got in the US.

lWLxg9b.jpg

KNJAnNh.jpg
Weird, it doesn't say "Playstation console" under it like it does with mine.
Actually I think I see why. When you type it, the dropdown will show PlayStation console underneath the PlayStation 5, select that one.
hmm.png

Mystery solved.

Last edited:
I said that PS5 had searches in most of the more populous states,

I don't know what graph you're looking at, but that's not what was showing on mine. Regardless, that's an assumption, those maps were by state not by population centers.

Weird, it doesn't say "Playstation console" under it like it does with mine.
Actually I think I see why. When you type it, the dropdown will show PlayStation console underneath the PlayStation 5, select that one.
hmm.png

Mystery solved.

Oh, so you were adding a handicap to the search lol.

It's not clear what Google considers as "counts" for console, since most people just make general searches with the term "ps5" as shown already.

Mr Moose

I don't know what graph you're looking at, but that's not what was showing on mine. Regardless, that's an assumption, those maps were by state not by population centers.

Oh, so you were adding a handicap to the search lol.

It's not clear what Google considers as "counts" for console, since most people just make general searches with the term "ps5" as shown already.
The handicap that says it's a console? Yeah. It has more hits than the one that isn't.
Screenshot20221128at.png

Last edited:
  • 83 - Grounded
  • 86 - Pentiment
  • 87 - Halo Infinite
  • 92 - Forza Horizon 5
  • 89 - Psychonauts 2
  • 88 - Deathloop
  • 83 - The Outer Worlds
  • 80 - Gears Tactics
  • 81 - Age of Empires 4
What a dishonest list. We really trying to claim games already made and ready to ship as first party games because the Devs got bought after the game launched or during a launch?

Claiming the outer worlds and deathloop two AA or triple A games depending on you look at it is a stretch.

Take them away and you're left with a halo, a forza, a half arsed gears and a bunch of indie games.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
What a dishonest list. We really trying to claim games already made and ready to ship as first party games because the Devs got bought after the game launched or during a launch?

Claiming the outer worlds and deathloop two AA or triple A games depending on you look at it is a stretch.

Take them away and you're left with a halo, a forza, a half arsed gears and a bunch of indie games.
Read my entire post. I specifically said a couple were created before MS acquired them. I also said it shows the quality of studios that MS has.

But you do you. Have fun cherry picking. Those are factual XGS games whether you like it or not.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

The developers behind The Outer Worlds and Deathloop are now Xbox Games Studios developers.

Regardless of if the games were developed under Microsoft's ownership or not is not really the point. The point is that the same leadership and talent behind the development of these games are now under Microsoft's wing. Which obviously bodes well for both the future of Microsoft first party game development as well as the current state of Game Pass (in which every game on that list is included with a Game Pass subscription).

It's an extremely relevant list for the current and future state of Xbox.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
  • 83 - Grounded
  • 86 - Pentiment
  • 87 - Halo Infinite
  • 92 - Forza Horizon 5
  • 89 - Psychonauts 2
  • 88 - Deathloop
  • 83 - The Outer Worlds
  • 80 - Gears Tactics
  • 81 - Age of Empires 4

That is a very solid list right there.

What a weird way to look at.

You build and renovate your house to perfection. I buy that house. Did the house quality suddenly change? The previous creator has the hard work and recognition with likely profit. The new owner has the bragging rights, IP/ownership and talent for the next things they do. Pretty standard if you ask me.

What's next, COD isn't popular because MS owns it? Actually, scratch that, given the sheer amount of hate-boners for MS I could actually see that one somewhat coming true. LOL.

Simpkin92

I said that PS5 had searches in most of the more populous states, and that's a fact reinforced in the graph you provided. I never said it indicated anything other than the fact PS5 was mentioned more in the more populous states.

It actually does not show an indication that it'll be closer than what others think, because it measures nothing of that type of indication whatsoever, just which of the two systems was more searched-for in which states. It is only a partial indicator for potential sales, yes, but so is the report you're referring to in this very thread, if we're talking about which system sold more in the month of November.

Each of the platforms may do over 1.2 million for November but I don't think that's a very high likelihood. However, I think they should each have record-breaking revenue and you don't need 1.2 million units sold to do that.

Must've been in Wyoming or Idaho 🤣
Nope

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wtf is happening here.....

Are these searches what the firm uses or are we now actually just randomly trying to look at search terms to try and workout a "win"

If its the data the company has used to make thisnstatement then fair play.

reksveks

Wtf is happening here.....

Are these searches what the firm uses or are we now actually just randomly trying to look at search terms to try and workout a "win"

If its the data the company has used to make thisnstatement then fair play.
Adobe based on last year was surveys and tracking on retailers that's agreed to share the analytics data.

This thread did get a bit into a grey area re Google trends cause its based on the terms that users posted. Something that may also be kinda applicable to the Adobe data. The other interesting thing that we won't know is how far down the purchase funnel Adobe was looking at.

John Wick

Lol random site, wow.

Adobe? Lmfao
I think I'll wait for NPD. There is no context or explanation how they reached their conclusion?
No actual figures either.....

Godot25

Banned

Please.

If somehow Starfield will be released as a buggy mess, Microsoft will be first to blame. Despite the fact that they had nothing to do with development for 4 years.

So if same rules applies, you can praise Microsoft for Deathloop. Since it was Microsoft's money which funded final stretch of development and god knows if Bethesda would allow multiple delays for that game if they were not part of Microsoft.

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't see a single game on there.

Specsavers had a very good Black Friday deal. 2 glasses for the price of. I’m pretty sure it’s still on.

Adobe? Lmfao
I think I'll wait for NPD. There is no context or explanation how they reached their conclusion?
No actual figures either.....

There’s more than enough material in the OP or linked media that tells you how they reached their conclusion. Not to mention that Adobe Analytics have been running these analysis for years and years.

Mr Moose

Please.

If somehow Starfield will be released as a buggy mess, Microsoft will be first to blame. Despite the fact that they had nothing to do with development for 4 years.

So if same rules applies, you can praise Microsoft for Deathloop. Since it was Microsoft's money which funded final stretch of development and god knows if Bethesda would allow multiple delays for that game if they were not part of Microsoft.

Officially Welcoming Bethesda to Team Xbox by Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox • Mar 9, 2021 @ 6:30am​

ReleasePC, PlayStation 5
14 September 2021
Giving credit with something they have nothing to do with is a bit weird IMO.
Starfield is going to be buggy because it's Bugthesda.

Ozriel

M$FT

See, this is the downside of consistent console warring. You’re left with only a limited understanding of the gaming business. Because how else can one explain you calling games published by Microsoft ‘indies’ 😂

Do you truly not know what ‘indie’ means? On an enthusiast forum, no less?

Godot25

Banned

Officially Welcoming Bethesda to Team Xbox by Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox • Mar 9, 2021 @ 6:30am​

ReleasePC, PlayStation 5
14 September 2021
Giving credit with something they have nothing to do with is a bit weird IMO.
Starfield is going to be buggy because it's Bugthesda.
Of course not.

You can bet, that if Starfield is buggy mess, the narrative will be "Microsoft can't produce great first party game." Since it is an exclusive.

Microsoft financed last stretch of Deathloop's development, so it's wierd to claim that they nothing to do with it. Game was released with Bethesda as part of Microsoft imho. Same for GhostWire: Tokyo. Game was supposed to come out during earlier stages of 2021, but it was delayed. Guess who paid for that extension of development :p

Mr Moose

Of course not.

You can bet, that if Starfield is buggy mess, the narrative will be "Microsoft can't produce great first party game." Since it is an exclusive.

Microsoft financed last stretch of Deathloop's development, so it's wierd to claim that they nothing to do with it. Game was released with Bethesda as part of Microsoft imho. Same for GhostWire: Tokyo. Game was supposed to come out during earlier stages of 2021, but it was delayed. Guess who paid for that extension of development :p
Sony with their timed exclusive deal money.

Top Bottom