• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 Holiday sales report: Xbox Series X wins Black Friday, Nintendo Switch wins Thanksgiving. Top games: COD: Modern Warfare II and GOW: Ragnarok.

Godot25

Banned
So if MS were not "funding the final stretch" ( they weren't because Zenimax did) that means Zenimax projects didn't have funding to finish them? Clearly you don't know how budgets work.
That's not what I said :)
Of course if ZeniMax was independent, they would finance whole development. But that's not what happened right? So pretending like Microsoft had nothing to do with Deathloop (or Psychonauts 2, GhostWire: Tokyo, Wasteland 3, The Outer Worlds etc.) just because those games were contractually obligated to release as timed exclusives or multiplats is funny, when devs of those games were/are literally on Microsoft's payroll.

All I'm saying is...keep the same energy when Starfield will release. Because I can already see headlines. If it will be great it will be great because "Microsoft had nothing to do with development," but when it will be shit, it will be shit because "Microsoft can't release great first-part banger."

Bleeding Edge was 90% completed when Microsoft bought Ninja Theory, but that did not stop people to blame Microsoft for it's failiure, right?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
So if MS were not "funding the final stretch" ( they weren't because Zenimax did) that means Zenimax projects didn't have funding to finish them? Clearly you don't know how budgets work.

Clearly you don’t know how acquisitions work. As soon as the purchase got finalized, Microsoft owned every scrap of money, IP or assets Zenimax had. There’s no ‘Zenimax money’. That’s Microsoft’s money.

Kiraly

What a dishonest list. We really trying to claim games already made and ready to ship as first party games because the Devs got bought after the game launched or during a launch?

Claiming the outer worlds and deathloop two AA or triple A games depending on you look at it is a stretch.

Take them away and you're left with a halo, a forza, a half arsed gears and a bunch of indie games.
but don't forget Sony now owns a part of Kadokawa so Elden Ring can be seen as a game from Sony essentially!!!!!

graywolf323

Gold Member
all this Google search term stuff is reminding me of the great quote "There are 3 kinds of lies. Lies, damned, lies, and statistics."

I said that PS5 had searches in most of the more populous states, and that's a fact reinforced in the graph you provided. I never said it indicated anything other than the fact PS5 was mentioned more in the more populous states.

It actually does not show an indication that it'll be closer than what others think, because it measures nothing of that type of indication whatsoever, just which of the two systems was more searched-for in which states. It is only a partial indicator for potential sales, yes, but so is the report you're referring to in this very thread, if we're talking about which system sold more in the month of November.

Each of the platforms may do over 1.2 million for November but I don't think that's a very high likelihood. However, I think they should each have record-breaking revenue and you don't need 1.2 million units sold to do that.

Must've been in Wyoming or Idaho 🤣
Na, the GameStop over by co-op city in the Bronx had them stacked

Wtf is happening here.....

Are these searches what the firm uses or are we now actually just randomly trying to look at search terms to try and workout a "win"

If its the data the company has used to make thisnstatement then fair play.

The google trends is a separate thing. The data in the OP is linked in the OP, and is based on receipt and sku's tracking online transactions through a credible research outlet. The google trends image I posted was spreading around social media by some gaming accounts.

The above discussion was just us trying to figure out why different people were getting results, no one was fighting over consoles.

wsVWek9.png
nB6RHEh.png

Er, well. Seems that maybe Sony didn't have enough PS5 stock after all. Also, Microsoft may have puled the trigger on those promos, price cuts, and furniture company collabs for the Series S too early as there were deals all month leading up to Black Friday, so anyone who wanted a Series S probably already brough tone.

Meanwhile, it seems Microsoft held back a lot of Series X stock for Black Friday, while the Switch was apparently a popular purchase the day before on Thanksgiving along with GOW. I wonder how many of those buyers brought two?

On Black Friday, I would assume many of the Series X purchases were accompanied by Modern Warfare II which also was a top seller on the charts. This is despite the PS5 having the marketing deals, which I attribute to both PS5 not having enough stock and possibly COD now being linked in consumers minds to Xbox due to the current ongoing transaction.

Well, this was quite the surprise. But it's also true you can never predict the buying patterns of the average consumer going off conversations on gaming boards. Who would have though on here Instapots and Drones would be top sellers on Thanksgiving and Black Friday for example. It's always intriguing to see the gap in what the average consumer buys compared to the average gamer.

Of course these are only the top 5 most popular for each day, I'm sure there's more games, electronics, and consoles in a top 10 or top 20, but considering what topped the charts, it's quite the surprise. I assume this will be similar when other reports come out like last year.

(The roblox is for the toys btw not the game)

EDIT: Google Trends charts that came out midday yesterday around the time this report was widely spread
7CDLayY.png

Looks like for the month it could go either way, even if Xbox won BF itself.
Man, all the absolute trash states are Xbox states. Fucking lol

Edit: Didn't realize the bump.

Last edited:
Top Bottom