• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 is shaping up to be the finest gaming year since 2015

Relique

It really is. Outside the obvious big hitters like you listed there are so many 3rd party games. So much has been delayed to next year don't know how these games aren't going to cannibalize each other. I wonder if publishers will delay completed games till 2023 just to avoid poor sales.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It really is. Outside the obvious big hitters like you listed there are so many 3rd party games. So much has been delayed to next year don't know how these games aren't going to cannibalize each other. I wonder if publishers will delay completed games till 2023 just to avoid poor sales.
Christ I hope not.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
2017 was probably better but yeah, lots of cool games announced for 2022.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
2015:
- Bloodborne
- The Witcher 3

2022:
- Elden Ring
- Zelda: BoTW 2
- Horizon: FW
- Bayonetta 3
- GoW: Ragnarok
- Gran Turismo 7
It will be alright. Most people will be surprised by how similar these games will look and feel. Witcher 3 felt insane in terms of scope compared to 2. BB looked a gen ahead of DS2, and brought an amazing new combat style to a franchise mostly centered around blocking and strafing.

BB and Witcher 3 were both next gen. They looked better. They played better. Pretty much every game on your list will be a retread of the previous game in the franchise.

I personally think Starfield might be the game of the year simply because it will be new and fresh.

Would be very surprised if Ragnarok actually comes out in 2022. Hope I'm wrong.
I would be very surprised if it doesn't come out in 2022. It's going to be a great game but it's not really a wild departure from GoW 2018. I mean, they can re-use a ton of assets, same engine, not a huge graphical update etc.etc.

Vaelka

Meh?
Overhyped exclusives and in all honesty I REALLY hope that Elden Ring footage wasn't representative of how the game will actually look at launch.
And Bayonetta honestly didn't excite me either which was quite shocking to me.

Horizon and GoW aren't bad games everyone assumes that's what you're saying when you call a game overrated.
But holy shit I do not understand at all the extreme levels of praise they both felt very generic and unimaginative.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I've seen this a few times here but I've never understood why. They have the engine and storyline and it'll be 4 years since the last game, care to elaborate?

Xeaker

2022:
- Elden Ring
- Zelda: BoTW 2
- Horizon: FW
- Bayonetta 3
- GoW: Ragnarok
- Gran Turismo 7
troy-laugh.gif

If this is the finest gaming has to offer then we live in sad times.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've seen this a few times here but I've never understood why. They have the engine and storyline and it'll be 4 years since the last game, care to elaborate?
Everything seems to be getting delayed these days so I just expect all major titles that require a lot of work to be delayed at least once.

SlimySnake

Nothing beats 2011
Big fan of 2011 here. most people sleep on it, but man Sony had a killer line up that year.

• LBP2
  • KZ2
  • Socom 4
  • Motorstorm Apocalypse
  • Resistance 3
  • Uncharted 3

Thid parties delivered big time too. I was a huge fan of Dead Space 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Arkham City and Skyrim. Each of those four games were my GOTY until I played the next one.

SlimySnake

well yeah, 2011 is legendary, but if we were to trace back, 2022 has to be compared against 2015 first

I didn't say EVER, I said finest since 2015
I think a lot of people sleep on 2019. At least when it comes to single player campaigns.

- RE2
- DMCV
- Death Stranding
- Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
- DMCV
- Shadow of Tomb Raider
- Sekiro
- Control
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Days Gone
- Gears 5
- Metro Exodus
- Plagues Tale

Not all of these are Witcher 3 or Bloodborne caliber, but they are all quality single player games. I dont think any other year had a lineup this stacked with quality single player games.

Big fan of 2011 here. most people sleep on it, but man Sony had a killer line up that year.

• LBP2
  • KZ2
  • Socom 4
  • Motorstorm Apocalypse
  • Resistance 3
  • Uncharted 3

Thid parties delivered big time too. I was a huge fan of Dead Space 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Arkham City and Skyrim. Each of those four games were my GOTY until I played the next one.

all that and, you didn't mention the most legendary game of 2011, DARK SOULS

rofif

Banned

• LBP2
  • KZ2
  • Socom 4
  • Motorstorm Apocalypse
  • Resistance 3
  • Uncharted 3

Exactly. Also Dark Souls, Saints Row 3, Portal 2, Gears of war 3, Rage (!!!). So many good games. Lol even Duke Nukem Forever came out in 2011.
Glad I was a pirate in 2011 since it would ruin me lol. I did bought all of these games asap though. I've not pirated a game since like 2012.... and now I have like 600 games. wtf

Ellery

Yeah absolutely.

Huge love for FROM Software games and I expect Elden Ring to be another Miyazaki masterpiece.
Zelda BOTW2 will be another 9/10 game at least. I think there are at least 4 Zelda games I think are better than BOTW, but Zelda games basically always deliver and I expect the same for BOTW2.
Gran Turismo 7 . Racing game so for some people it is just a zero interest game based on genre, but I love cars and Gran Turismo always plays so beautiful and the games are amazingly high quality
God of War Ragnarok High chance of being GOTY in an already stacked year. The previous game was a masterpiece and this looks like a true sequel with the same greatness going for it.
Horizon and Bayonetta I personally don't have interest in, but I might cave and get Horizon, but it has to be a lot better than the previous game. The first one was a Playstation Exclusive in Ubisoft clothes. It obviously was higher quality, but also couldn't shake the meaningless and bland open world aspect of it. Graphics look fantastic
Hogwarts is my guilty pleasure hope dream of 2022. I am not sure what to expect, but it could be a really good game that doesn't get that much attention.
Forspoken is being hyped a lot and it is an AAA game that probably has the budget and size of what people would expect of a truly great game, but so far I am not really feeling it. I hope I am wrong with Forspoken and it turns out to be amazing.
Final Fantasy XVI Probably not a 2022 game, but it might be and while the golden era of FF is certainly over (VI - X), it might be time for a resurrection of the once greatest gaming franchise in the world. FF VIIR gives me hope and people sure love XIV
Starfield Very high hopes here, but this game smells like a delay into late late 2023.
Ghostwire Tokyo Same as with Forspoken. The first teaser was perfect and I enjoyed The Evil Within a lot, but this might be a disappointment for me based on the gameplay we have seen so far. Keeping an open mind though

What else could be in 2022? Hard to say. Maybe Diablo VI ? Probably not looking at what happened at Blizzard recently. Hollow Knight Silksong? Naughty Dog? Probably 2024 or so. GTA 6? No way given that they are still busy counting the billions they are making from GTA V still.
Avowed, Pokemon, Dying Light 2, STALKER 2, Baldurs Gate 3? Hard to say how good they could be or if they'll make it in 2022.

And then there is always hope for unannounced games that surprise us. Microsoft, Nintendo and Playstation certainly have something left, but just looking at what we can look forward to then yeah 2022 looks to be very promising

SlimySnake

all that and, you didn't mention the most legendary game of 2011, DARK SOULS
lol haha I knew I was missing something.

To be fair, I didn’t play ds1 until after bloodborne. Demon souls had scared me off of souls game so I just ignored all the forum praise for ds1.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Everything seems to be getting delayed these days so I just expect all major titles that require a lot of work to be delayed at least once.
It was already delayed because of the main actor getting hospitalized and it seems like it would've hit this year if it wasn't for that

I think Ragnarok is 100% coming in 2022

SlimySnake

Exactly. Also Dark Souls, Saints Row 3, Portal 2, Gears of war 3, Rage (!!!). So many good games. Lol even Duke Nukem Forever came out in 2011.
Glad I was a pirate in 2011 since it would ruin me lol. I did bought all of these games asap though. I've not pirated a game since like 2012.... and now I have like 600 games. wtf
Portal 2 was fantastic.

I used to still have a blockbuster near me so for $20 a month I could rent 2 games at a time. The only games I bought were kz2, infamous and uncharted 2.

After bb shut down Best Buy had a great gamers unlocked membership that gave $20 off of new games and offered even better trade in values.

R6Rider

Gold Member
--

• LBP2
  • KZ2
  • Socom 4
  • Motorstorm Apocalypse
  • Resistance 3
  • Uncharted 3

SOCOM 4 was terrible. I should know, I got the platinum using the Move Sharpshooter.

I was about to write this post but related to BOTW2 tbh.

Anyway, these topics are made every damn year and for what? Part of these games will be delayed and you will be making this topic for 2023 instead, lol.

skit_data

I think 2022 is the most stacked year I’ve ever seen when it comes to my personal taste in games.

I’m not used to have 2 games I really really look forward to releasing in the same year. Now there’s 4: Elden Ring, GT7, Horizon Forbidden West and GoW Ragnarök. The worst/best part is that 3 of them release so damn close to each other that I’ll easily be able to wait for a sale on 1 or 2 of them.

Edit: Ah, fuck Silksong will also probably release next year. All these games will probably have at least 150+ hours if not 400+ each for Elden Ring and GT7. How the fuck will I manage that. It’s impossible.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
2022 will be a great year, for sure.
But in a historical context, I don't know.

I think we can all agree that 2021 has been complete rat shit , so any other year will probably be considered 'great' in comparison.

Last edited:

Alandring

Yeah, 2022 will be an amazing year. My must-buy list, in order:
1) Total War: Warhammer III
2) Vampire The Masquerade - Swansong
3) Horizon Forbidden West
4) Hogwarts Legacy
5) Starfield
6) Baldur's Gate III
7) Life is Strange Remastered
8) Forspoken
9) Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
10) Tiny Tina's Wonderland

Wow. 10 games. I'm not sure I've ever had a list as big as this one for the next year to come.

Nothing beats 2011
2010>2011. Mass Effect 2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom