• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22" CRT Monitor decisions (+ related stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OK, for the longest time I have been putting up with my crappy Dell 17" non-flat monitor - So now that I have some cash on my hands, I'm looking into getting a top quality monitor. I use my PC a lot for programming (graphics programming) and gaming, so I feel it'll be a worthwhile investment from a health/ergonomics perspective, and simply in terms of a better experience in games etc. So after some research, I think my choice is between these two:

dp2070sb-side-R,property=ThumbNail.jpg

22" NEC-Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
http://www.nec-mitsubishi.com/corem...70SB/CRT-DiamondPro2070SB,spec=x__uk__en.html

p220f_main.jpg

22" Viewsonic P220f
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/crtmonitors/proseries/p220f/

The NEC is a bit more expensive, but from what I've read it *seems* to offer higher image quality, and it supposedly "professional-grade". But then a lot of reviewers can't seem to get over the Viewsonic's better value, and tend to tag it with their "choice" awards. I have read some very positive comments about the NEC range here on GAF (it's 19" brother in particular), and a lot of people seem to be of the opinion that this 22" the best CRT money can buy (asides, perhaps, from Sony's ludicrously expensive 24" CRTs..even then, I'm not sure if Sony is in the CRT business anymore?). Anyone disagree? Are there any alternatives of comparable quality that I should consider? Any better quality displays at similar prices?

Also, on a related note - my current desk might be a bit small for a mammoth like this. Can anyone suggest good and deep computer desks that will double as study desks i.e. are wide, and deep, lots of space? And while we're at it, what are the most ergonomically sound desk chairs you can buy? (Bonus if these desks/chairs are available in Europe). My posture has been all out of wack lately with my current chair/desk combo. I'm willing to spend for quality (within reason). Thanks for any help!

edit - knew I forgot something; does anyone know if either of these monitors have DVI-inputs? I was told to look out for them, but I can't see any mention of them in relation to these ones..which seems strange given how expensive they are. I'm also thinking about next-gen systems..we know Revolution will have DVI-out, and I'd really like to be able to use consoles with my purchase (my just get rid of my bedroom TV if I can!).

Culex

Banned
21" and up CRT's are massive and heavy. You're looking at probably 50 lbs or more, too. I would suggest a desk with at least a depth of 2 feet, since the tube will most likely jutt out. You need that extra room for air flow and wiring out the back.

Viewsonic monitors are tremendously good. I would recommend them over NEC any day of the week. As far as DVI, I'm not sure if that specific model has an output built-in, but Viewsonic does sell an accessory for HDTV (480p,720p,1080i) hookups that works with all of their monitors.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thanks Culex - my current desk is about 2 feet deep, but I'm still lightly worried about how it'll fit. I just did a measurement of how far the NEC would come out..if it is exactly as specified (471mm) it'd leave about half a foot in space, which isn't loads, particularly if I have it centered in the desk (my current monitor isn't...I kind of have it at a slight angle in the corner, so it takes up less room, but I couldn't do the same with one this big..plus you should really have your monitor centered for good viewing). I think maybe to have one even deeper would be good..maybe 2.5 feet..?

Thanks DJ, I'll have to give it some more consideration. I haven't read as much about the Viewsonic as I have of the NEC. Also, is the P225f worth considering over the P220f? It seems to be newer, but I don't know if the image quality is better, or..

edit - also, am I right in thinking that the viewsonics and NECs share the same basic flatscreen technology? Viewsonic calls theirs "PerfectFlat" and NEC call theirs "Diamondtron"..

teiresias

21"+ flat CRT monitors absolutely rock. I've been using a Sony GDM-500PS since about 1998 or so (paid $1300 for it at the time, more expensive than my actual PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and while it doesn't have as good a dot pitch as some of the more modern monitors I absolutely love the thing. It's been a workhorse and has shown no sign of conking out or anything. 640x480 is a bit of a pain to look at on it (it has a kind of interlaced, every other line is drawn look, which makes Baldur's Gate 1 a bit of a pain to play), but for everything else it has been great. I don't really do any graphic work, but I do programming and word processing and it's great being able to fit so much of your text on screen at once.

I'd recommend the Viewsonic as well, they make very good monitors, if I hadn't gotten the Sony I'd have gotten a Viewsonic - I don't remember if they had a flat monitor of that size available at the time though (if they did I probably should have gotten that as I no doubt overpaid for the Sony name - but live and learn).

The CRT's are really big though and heavy. I'm using a "corner" desk right now and the monitor just barely fits in the little monitor nook far enough to fit the keyboard on the desk (since I hate the pull-out keyboard drawer things). When I graduate and get my own place I'm getting a big old study desk or maybe just a big table to put everything on so I have writing and computing room.

I think only one or two companies actually make all the aperture grills in monitors and they're just outsourced (Sony makes the Trinitron and when they're patent expired others started making aperture grills - at least I think that's what happened).

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200 and it rocks - Sharp, good geometry & very easy on the eyes, bought it 2nd hand for a low price and wasn't expecting miracles, yet once I set it up I was gobsmacked.

I'd go with a NEC-Mitsubishi if I bought one again.

I use a Sony 21" GDM, but I've only seen good things from NEC/M monitors. While the specs on both guys look identical, I'd also give a slight nod to the NEC for showing the recommended resolution instead of just the maximum (my monitor could be running at 1600x1200 or 1920x1080, but it looks the clearest at 1280x1024, for example)

But hey, if you really want good cheap monitors...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thanks guys...I'm leaning heavily toward the NEC model now. I had a good browse through the Tom's Hardware forums, and the people there seem to really really like it. I'll have a look in a few other places too, but if I had to buy right now, I'd get the NEC. I won't be buying for a month or two, though, so if anyone has further suggestions, please let us hear them! :)

I now need to find a new, sturdy, and deep desk.. that'll accomodate such a monitor + study/writing/book space...

edit - hehe, just learned that the NEC displays are the only other displays sold at Apple stores asides from Apple's themselves. Always loved Apple displays, so I guess the NECs are to be recommended ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom