• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25% of Players Have Beaten God of War Ragnarok, Two Weeks After Release

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
god-of-war-ragnarok-trophy-data.large.jpg

You can get a surprising amount of information from Trophy data, so we thought it'd be interesting to check in on God of War Ragnarok. Sony's latest blockbuster released roughly two weeks ago at the time of writing, and the Trophies show that a decent number of players have beaten the game.

More specifically, 24.8 per cent of fans have completed the main story. In an age where Trophy data typically shows us that most gamers don't actually finish their games, that's a solid result for Sony and Santa Monica Studio, again, just two weeks after launch. It's a figure that'll likely only increase as time goes on as well — Ragnarok is a big game, after all, and it'll take a lot of players more time to see Kratos' adventure through.

But then you look at the Platinum Trophy unlock rate, and only 3.9 per cent of players went on to collect every one of the game's virtual gongs. It's not a particularly difficult Platinum, but hunting for collectibles and backtracking to find treasure chests that you might have missed can be very time consuming. We would assume that a lot of players will see the credits roll and leave it there — at least for now.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Im still 60 in trying to do the side quests which are long as hell but Im a fucking idiot for playing the game on Give Me God of War difficulty, cuz I just realized theres no trophy for it just like in the first...and the berseker fights are absolute dog shit especially when you have to fight 3 of them. The Musphelheim challenge is also tedious as hell. I kinda wasted a lot of time dying from 2 hits all the time so Im just kinda exhausted at this point with it. It doesnt help that its a huge ass DLC rather than something fresh, innovative. Guess Ill just rush end game and stop trying to do trophies for it. Story is barely going anywhere so whatever. Very overrated game, but its still an 8 for me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Go and look at the same metrics for any other game.......ever.

Not everyone beats the game.

I played almost 2 hours the first day and haven't touched it since. I'm busy and have little ones and my Steak Deck gets most play due to the convenience.

I'll get to it.

Now, my 16 year old is playing it a lot. I walked by before bed yesterday and he was well into it. I tried not to look for the sake of spoilering anything but my point is that not everyone can beat every game on yours or some article writers timing. This isn't 1999 when I could stay up till 4 playing FF8 for 6 hours.

Last edited:

Markio128

I completed it last week, but I only have 38% of the trophies, so there is plenty left to do. I’m in no rush for the platinum, but I was keen to complete the main quest in good time, only to dodge the spoilers.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Thats a really decent percentage.

I'm only like 20 hours in and havent had the usual time I have to go crazy on binging it.

DryvBy

I'm a dad now. Before that, beating a game was a weekend thing my wife and I would do (I married a cool wife that loves watching games like movies). Most games I want to play are buried under being a dad, being a husband and talking with friends and family. I basically get an hour a night and that's either going towards GoW or the 50 other backlogged games.

I've had God of War since launch and I love it but I'm not even near done. My gaming is mostly stuff I can play in front of my kid. God of War isn't acceptable. I'm probably further in LEGO Star Wars and stuff right now. I just don't play super gory games, sexy stuff or language filled stuff around the kiddo.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s not a race.. I’ve never understood why some people have to blast through a game quickly as possible. It’s a $70 game. Enjoy it.
I finished the main campaign a couple days ago and I haven’t really touched it since. It was good, but it didn’t change my views of the medium. It was a continuation of 2018 and it concluded the story. As I get older I have come to realize a couple things. Real life prevents me from playing 10 hours a day, which is life. I should enjoy the time I do have because nothings wrong with waiting to beat a game. I have also been the player who beats the game asap since the Dreamcast and PS2 gen. I think I know both sides. A new game like Silent Hill 2 or MGS2 comes out and that’s all I’m focused on. I did this before social media and streaming got to where it is today.

I also have some criticisms over hype culture. It feels like it’s part of the product’s fad. A new game is super popular around its launch. You have streamers, reviewers, and celebrities discussing it. Social media promotes the game, so it’s a drive for some people. If you’re wanting to be in the know with bosses and key moments in the game then you’re playing catch up. There’s also a lot of emphasis around the game’s performance. A lot of popular gamers aren’t going to discuss the game in great detail later on and a lot of the end game content exists on YouTube regardless. That’s why it kinda sucks because it gives a new consumer this idea that if they’re not finishing a game within a week that it’ll get spoiled for them if they wait.

We watch as the industry (gamers and game designers) shows off their TV’s or they share their opinions about actually playing the game around its launch. Wait a month and no one is showing the game off. They’re discussing something else. They’ve completely moved on to the next game.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Can someone check Elden Rings trophy finish rate? I dont have it on playstation.
It's not clear because different endings have different trophies. The most common ending has 26.8% on PS5.

Edit 26.1% actually, and 24.1% for PS4 version.

Last edited:
It’s a long bloody game, I’d imagine most people haven’t finished it because of that reason alone. Mate of mine managed to beat it last week at 54 hours but that’s still a considerable amount of time.

Moneal

It's not clear because different endings have different trophies. The most common ending has 26.8% on PS5.
Almost 37.8% have beaten hoarah loux, the boss before radagon/elden beast. The highest ending I see is age of the stars at 26.1%. So it's less than 37.8% but more than 26.1%.

DaGwaphics

That seems like a normal % tbh. The completion percentage generally plummets quite fast as the achievements move further into a game, LOL.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game completion rates are always really low, especially for longer games. This is not surprising news.

The Shepard

I'm in the 25%, just doing all the side stuff for the platinum. Crazy how many new areas you wouldn't see just by going through the story.

I remember FF7 remake being 60% before it was on ps plus the first time.

GymWolf

The game is fucking gigantic, i'm 62 hours in and probably another 20++ to go, this thing is lasting me more than most open world games.

(Playing at max difficulty and dying hundreds of times sure help)

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I'm in the 25%, just doing all the side stuff for the platinum. Crazy how many new areas you wouldn't see just by going through the story.

This true, not to get spoilery but there is a lot of areas you wouldn’t see just beating the game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

60% ? I think you might have seen the PSN Profiles completion rate, cause 60% for a big RPG would be *INCREDIBLE*.

Thief1987

Almost 37.8% have beaten hoarah loux, the boss before radagon/elden beast. The highest ending I see is age of the stars at 26.1%. So it's less than 37.8% but more than 26.1%.
Yeah around 35% seems plausible.
Ragnarok surely will have high, 50+% complete rate same as GOW 2018 and most of Sony's first-party games.

The Shepard

60% ? I think you might have seen the PSN Profiles completion rate, cause 60% for a big RPG would be *INCREDIBLE*.

I remember checking the trophies on psn before it went on to ps plus and it was 59 dot something percent. 92% had at least completed the first chapter so would be higher if you take off all them as they could be other profiles that are signed in at the same time. This was the PS4 version to.

Yup it sucks for the people who rush through it without doing the side content like some of the reviews I've read they're missing out

Top Bottom