• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25% of Players Have Beaten God of War Ragnarok, Two Weeks After Release

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That doesn't make sense. If I play a game for 50 hours I enjoyed it. I don't slog through games I don't enjoy just because I paid for them. Why does it matter how fast someone plays? Someone must have been really enjoying themselves to play it for 5+ hours a day, every day for a couple weeks.

Are you saying people should spread the game out over a month or two and only play for 30 minutes or 1 hour at a time lol? If I'm eating a good pizza, I don't eat it slowly and savior it. I scarf it down because it's so damn good.
If you played the game for 50 hours then you didn’t rush though it. 😵‍💫

Pizza doesn’t have side quests. 🤣

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
This is a good result considering the game actively reminds you to go back to side stuff when new areas become available or when you unlock the last weapon (which can also be used for exploration).

I think that’s a good percentage. Still haven’t finished it and I’m clocking 37 hours.
Yes, I agree. A lot of people have bought the game and the game is quite long. I'd say it's even too much and shows the game is too easy (it has being designed to be easily finished unfortunately).

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Get a divorce and quit your job.
Baby Babies GIF

skit_data

Can you finish the side quests and trophies after the main story missions?
Yes, I platinumed the game in one run. But there is also good reasons to do them before finishing the main story. Can’t really say exactly why without spoiling the ending but I’ll just say you’ll probably miss out on a lot of dialogue unless you finish them both during the main story and after the main story no matter how you choose. Which is a good reason to replay the game.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I finished the main campaign a couple days ago and I haven’t really touched it since. It was good, but it didn’t change my views of the medium. It was a continuation of 2018 and it concluded the story. As I get older I have come to realize a couple things. Real life prevents me from playing 10 hours a day, which is life. I should enjoy the time I do have because nothings wrong with waiting to beat a game. I have also been the player who beats the game asap since the Dreamcast and PS2 gen. I think I know both sides. A new game like Silent Hill 2 or MGS2 comes out and that’s all I’m focused on. I did this before social media and streaming got to where it is today.

I also have some criticisms over hype culture. It feels like it’s part of the product’s fad. A new game is super popular around its launch. You have streamers, reviewers, and celebrities discussing it. Social media promotes the game, so it’s a drive for some people. If you’re wanting to be in the know with bosses and key moments in the game then you’re playing catch up. There’s also a lot of emphasis around the game’s performance. A lot of popular gamers aren’t going to discuss the game in great detail later on and a lot of the end game content exists on YouTube regardless. That’s why it kinda sucks because it gives a new consumer this idea that if they’re not finishing a game within a week that it’ll get spoiled for them if they wait.

We watch as the industry (gamers and game designers) shows off their TV’s or they share their opinions about actually playing the game around its launch. Wait a month and no one is showing the game off. They’re discussing something else. They’ve completely moved on to the next game.

Not much to add, just wanted to say I enjoyed reading this post.

Rockman33

It’s not a race.. I’ve never understood why some people have to blast through a game quickly as possible. It’s a $70 game. Enjoy it.
Sometimes your so enthralled by the game you can’t help but keep playing. Not sure why you would think someone like that isn’t enjoying it? If anything it points to the idea they are enjoying it so much they can’t help but keep playing.

Sometimes your so enthralled by the game you can’t help but keep playing. Not sure why you would think someone like that isn’t enjoying it? If anything it points to the idea they are enjoying it so much they can’t help but keep playing.

Yep, its the type of game once you pick up you dont wanna put down, whether its for the combat, story, or both. Its an event game that demands attention

RoboFu

One of the green rats

I think you are miss reading it. The op talks about 25 % beating it in a short time. Why does that matter? Next week more people will have finished it and the week after.

5 days after hitting 25%, the game has now been finished by over 33% of players, meaning that in just these days we went from a quarter of all players finishing the game to a third.

Great results so far.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I for one work for a living. I played an average of 2 hours a night and a little more on the weekends. I just completed it. I think many are still playing through the game. I do not understand people who buy a game and then rush to complete it. It's not a race so I am glad the game is lasting more than a couple of weeks for gamers. Doing side missions it's easily over 40 hours playthrough.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
But they say the game is just artificially bloated filler and that it’s boring and that that that that that that
Who says that? Most who say that are talking out of their ass and never played the game.

Banned
I'm not part of the 25%. I'm bored out of my mind playing this game.

I really struggled finishing it... the last few main missions were so ungodly bad it was really hard to stick it through...

everything that isn't sidequests in this game is just pure garbage, which is why I always did basically all the side stuff until there was nothing left.

I'm roughly 45 hours in and I have not finished the game yet (I do a lot of side quests).

I just did the thing where we see the wolf chase the moon in the trailer, do I have a lot left?

I'm starting to master the spear's attacks, this thing is just AMAZING when you take the time to adjust to how it plays!

anthony2690

Banned
Im still 60 in trying to do the side quests which are long as hell but Im a fucking idiot for playing the game on Give Me God of War difficulty, cuz I just realized theres no trophy for it just like in the first...and the berseker fights are absolute dog shit especially when you have to fight 3 of them. The Musphelheim challenge is also tedious as hell. I kinda wasted a lot of time dying from 2 hits all the time so Im just kinda exhausted at this point with it. It doesnt help that its a huge ass DLC rather than something fresh, innovative. Guess Ill just rush end game and stop trying to do trophies for it. Story is barely going anywhere so whatever. Very overrated game, but its still an 8 for me.
Wouldn't you enjoy it more if you dropped the difficulty down a notch?
(Just going by your complaints above)

You might have other issues not listed, but I can imagine frustration can lead to feeling exhausted with a game.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
That will be close to the final tally. Most people don't finish games. Especially 40+ hour ones.

Wouldn't you enjoy it more if you dropped the difficulty down a notch?
(Just going by your complaints above)

You might have other issues not listed, but I can imagine frustration can lead to feeling exhausted with a game.

I'm a masochist. I like frustrating challenges even if I do complain a lot but yes, I should've lowered the difficulty but Im a stubborn asshole. I tried lowering the difficulty post-ending cuz I wanted to just rush and see the extra bits of story left and you what happened? I quit. I just stopped playing it and watched the
Tyr
bits on youtube. I dont like to back up from a challenge, and I enjoyed the first God of War's hardest difficulty a lot more than Ragnaroks. Huge difference between being challenging and being frustrating/tedious and Ragnarok is the latter.

anthony2690

Banned
I'm a masochist. I like frustrating challenges even if I do complain a lot but yes, I should've lowered the difficulty but Im a stubborn asshole. I tried lowering the difficulty post-ending cuz I wanted to just rush and see the extra bits of story left and you what happened? I quit. I just stopped playing it and watched the
Tyr
bits on youtube. I dont like to back up from a challenge, and I enjoyed the first God of War's hardest difficulty a lot more than Ragnaroks. Huge difference between being challenging and being frustrating/tedious and Ragnarok is the latter.
That's disappointing, I haven't played the game myself, I think it looks great though.

But I understand your complaints as I've felt that way in the past with other games where I've ended up dropping the difficulty. (Because it feels tedious and not fun)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Need to get back to it bit its the worst god of war out of all of them in my opinion and I have played all of them multiple times...so I know lol.

Dropped it at like 30 hours and not in a rush to go back. Will get there though.

That's disappointing, I haven't played the game myself, I think it looks great though.

But I understand your complaints as I've felt that way in the past with other games where I've ended up dropping the difficulty. (Because it feels tedious and not fun)

To make matters worse, it did not feel rewarding at all. I am by no means a trophy hunter/achievement addict but I did not feel rewarded at all for it, no good job, no trophy, no special armor, nothing. To make matters worse, the game has such spongy bosses that theres a setting in the game where you can save mid hp for the bosses. Accessibility is fine, however, at least reward to people who want to experience the game as was designed or who play on the hardest difficulty. Ragnarok just wants you to play on lower difficulties.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Tyr
i just beat the game on GMGOW and had a horrendous time with the multi beserker fights. Watched some videos. Made some DPS builds and easy killed them. You have to experiment and treat it like an Action RPG instead of just an action game. Which means playing around with builds.

The multi beserker fights are awful but you can kill them in just a few hits with the right build and turn it into a much more manageble 1 v 1 fight.

Here is me killing a level 8 dragon in one hit.

Ive beaten GNA in just over a minute no damage taken after wasting hours on her. You just have to try different builds and see which one works best. i found the best way to kill the beserker sisters is by using a realm shift build. Dodge, go to the sisters do a lot of damage then wait for the other beserker to attack, dodge and switch to sisters.

The only problem is that the best gear in the game is dropped at the very end so you dont really get to use it in the story mode because for some reason after 4.5 years of dev time, they forgot to include NG+ with the game.

Which means playing around with builds.
Yeah I figured that as well by the end, but it was too late. Its clear that the zerker fights are end game stuff which is dumb af since you get to meet them half way into the game and they spice things up. I'm not a fan of using cookie cutter/op af builds just to cheese fights, it kinda removes the point of being "challenging" and that is why I will never play From games with magic builds and I cringe everytime I see someone one-two shotting enemies with some spell. Dunno, Im weird. Sekiro felt perfect, nothing too OP and every boss felt like a real challenge.

Top Bottom