• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 years ago today, the Fresh Prince of Bel Air premiered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

tumblr_mewkx7m0MV1rkevino1_500.gif

Now this is story all about how my life get flipped, turned upside down and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air.

"The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" debuted 25 years ago, on September 10, 1990, and folks still can't get enough of it. It featured an unlikely star, rapper Will Smith, who was then known for wholesome hip-hop at a time when gangsta rap had taken hold.

The fish-out-of-water comedy followed the life of a young man sent from the mean streets of Philadelphia to live with his affluent relatives in Bel Air, California. Based on the real-life experiences of producer Benny Medina -- better known as the manager of such megastars as Mariah Carey and Jennifer Lopez -- the series wasn't expected to be a hit.

But Smith and his co-stars quickly won the hearts of viewers, and the NBC show lives on in syndication, despite going off the air in 1996. Thanks to the Internet, it has also sparked such fun as being "Bel Aired," when a person tells a story and ends it with the lyrics to the show's theme song.

tumblr_mqif0dOGIt1s5e5bko4_400.gif

giphy.gif

I used to watch this show A LOT on syndication, anyone got any favorite moments?

Or am I gonna get thrown out?

jazz-thrown-out-o.gif

Leatherface

This show definitely has it's place in my heart. I remember cry laughing on multiple occasions and that's pretty damn hard to achieve with me.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
What a legend. It's actually aged very well, still very watchable today.

I don't claim to be an expert on the series and the various storylines, but the cast was just fantastic. Carlton's dancing... unforgettable.

And when it gets all quiet, and you know some real talk is about to happen.

BriGuy

The episode where his dad comes back into his life just to leave him again still makes my eyes water every time I see it.

Just reminds me how much I miss James Avery. :(

Uncle Phill and Geoffrey were superb, and everyone else was very good. Incredible show.

My favourite episodes are "why don't he want me man", "Break out Lucille" and "I've got a few questions for you. When you got this alleged confession from these two young men, did they have a lawyer present? No, because I'm their lawyer. Did you notify their parents? No, because we're their parents. So officer, don't tell us to wait and don't tell us to sit down. Just open that damn cell and let those two boys outta there or I'm gonna tie this place up with so much litigation that your grandchildren are gonna need lawyers!"

also that one where crazy-but-superior-vivian dances and the perry mason one where geoffrey manipulates uncle phil and will to "dance puppets dance"

NastyBook

Favorite scene in the entire series was when Uncle Phil sat on that bed the kids were hiding under, and their arms and legs shot out from under it like they were being squished. I laughed so damn hard at that shit. One of the best sight gags in sitcom history.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Still one of my favorite shows. Before I stopped watching actual TV channels, everytime I saw Fresh Prince on I stopped and watched it.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
"I asked myself that question the first time I was pulled over."

Sad how relevant some of the topics still are.

BadWolf

Favorite scene in the entire series was when Uncle Phil sat on that bed the kids were hiding under, and their arms and legs shot out from under it like they were being squished. I laughed so damn hard at that shit. One of the best sight gags in sitcom history.

Yeah we watched this ep the other day and my mom was rolling when that happened.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've got a few questions for you. When you got this alleged confession from these two young men, did they have a lawyer present? No, because I'm their lawyer. Did you notify their parents? No, because we're their parents. So, officer, don't tell us to wait and don't tell us to sit down, just open that damn cellar and let those two boys out of there or I'm going to tie this place up with so much litigation that your grandchildren are going to need lawyers!

The best. The absolute best.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I've got a few questions for you. When you got this alleged confession from these two young men, did they have a lawyer present? No, because I'm their lawyer. Did you notify their parents? No, because we're their parents. So, officer, don't tell us to wait and don't tell us to sit down, just open that damn cellar and let those two boys out of there or I'm going to tie this place up with so much litigation that your grandchildren are going to need lawyers!

The best. The absolute best.

Oh soo good I can even hear his tone while reading this.

Penguin

Oh man loved Aunt Viv's dance episode.

When she does her stuff and just passes out right after.

I also liked the ep with Will and Carlton pledging for a fraternity and not wanting Carlton because he was a bit of a square.

Kurita

Watched the shit out of this show when I was younger, one of the GOATs.
I need to watch it in English someday, the French dub wasn't that bad actually.

Dynomutt

Classic show.

Still mad. Changed the Moms like no one would notice.

Oh and ya'll remember Nicky Banks the original Little Nicky...

Carlton Banks taking the shot...
ht9pdh6ifjn5oulkbdt7.jpg

Will getting shot...
tumblr_mjk3ap8AJV1qdxd3qo1_500.png

Most intense episode for me.
Will-and-Uncle-Phil.jpg

Great thread OP.

Oh man loved Aunt Viv's dance episode.

When she does her stuff and just passes out right after.

I also liked the ep with Will and Carlton pledging for a fraternity and not wanting Carlton because he was a bit of a square.

The fraternity didn't want Carlton because not only because he wasn't "black" enough, but because he came from a more privileged background.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jeffrey, break out Lucille.

My fav moment of the show.

Same here.

The show was incredibly skilled at dealing with social issues.

"When are we going to stop doing this to each other?" -- Uncle Phil

Little Nicky was terrible, though.

Uncle Phil was the best:

"Well speaking as a lawyer, I can only say that your daughter fits the criminal profile to a T, right down to the low sloping forehead, and the wide jaws suitable for grains and small rodents."
"I think you must have her confused with yo momma!"
*PUNCH*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMK8YAsaJfA

There are just so many classic quote from this series. I love that it's still in syndication and I can catch it regularly.

Bleepey

It was one of those shows where everyone had seen every episode at least twice and people could reference random scenes and people would know what they were talking about when each sentence began "the one where..."See: "why don't he want me man", "jump on it","Raphael Dela Ghetto". The one where Carlton goes to Macarther park/ The one where Jazz throws Uncle Phil out\ the double date where Will and Carlton get trapped outside\ the one about the lombada\ etc etc

The GOAT. Laughed my ass off too many times to count. And the serious episodes were very poignant and masterfully done. Will getting shot, Will's father, Carlton joining a frat, the very last episode. Classics.

One of the best sitcoms ever IMO. Still very watchable with issues relevant to today. Never would have thought that Will would skyrocket to movie stardom off the back of this series.

I grew up watching Fresh Prince. It's one of those sitcoms I would watch with grand parents and my mother.

The episode where Trevor proposed to Hilary by bungee jumping. Oh God...I laughed hard.

Also, Jazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom