• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 years ago today, the Fresh Prince of Bel Air premiered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallout

I've got a few questions for you. When you got this alleged confession from these two young men, did they have a lawyer present? No, because I'm their lawyer. Did you notify their parents? No, because we're their parents. So, officer, don't tell us to wait and don't tell us to sit down, just open that damn cellar and let those two boys out of there or I'm going to tie this place up with so much litigation that your grandchildren are going to need lawyers!

The best. The absolute best.
As a young white kid growing up in a mostly white town ... seeing this really had a profound impact on me.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Thank god Will Smith didn't pay his taxes or else we wouldn't have this show!

PSqueak

Banned
Jeffrey, break out Lucille.

My fav moment of the show.

Man, that was so badass and funny at the same time. Uncle Phil is my fave parental figure in tv ever.

"I asked myself that question the first time I was pulled over."

Sad how relevant some of the topics still are.

This is the episode i remember the most because it dealt with racism in a different way than all the media of its time (who were more hamfisted), it really hit me the fact that Carlton genuinely couldn't tell he was being discriminated against.

Blues1990

For me, one of my favourite moments in the series was when Carlton lost his virginity, and it soon follows with a montage of video clips that drive this point home. (A dog catching a frisbee, a bottle of champagne popping, a flower blooming, etc.)

Another memorable moment is when Will explains to Carlton about what happened when he went up to the cabin (I.E., Will lies about cracking a girl's head open with a rock, after she went plum-crazy), Carlton runs frantically out of the house. And then it cuts to a sequence of shots of Carlton running across the different sets and the actual back stage of the studio where the show was filmed.

Ivan 3414

First Vivian was best, the second Vivian was not only not nearly as funny, but she did absolutely nothing in the show but get pregnant.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Outside of the classics (Will's dad, DWB, the one where Will gets shot, etc.), my favorite part of the show may have been Phil's campaign video (take a bi-bi-bi...).

Oh and early Tyra Banks.

Tekniqs

One of my favorite shows of all time, certainly my favorite growing up.
Every episode is funny even after numerous watches.

My favorite moments were when Will was teaching Ashley how to fight and when Will randomly barked at a girl.
Never laughed so hard in my life.

Josh5890

This show will always have a special place in my heart. I own all six seasons on DVD. The show wasn't afraid to push social issues and put awareness front and center. Sometimes the comedic side would take away from the real issues at hand a little bit (like the episode where they were falsely arrested for driving while black in season 1) but I feel like the producers did a good job of balancing everything.

Favorite episode is where Will meets his dad. So sad....

My only beef (albeit small) is that there were more then a couple flashback episodes. Still one of my Top 5 favorite shows of all time.

Josh5890

Classic show.

Still mad. Changed the Moms like no one would notice.

Great thread OP.

It's interesting how the first mom was more independent and wanted her family to be more diverse while the second mom was more conservative and felt like more of a stay at home mom, kind of like when Uncle Phil was considering running for governor but his wife wouldn't have it at all.

It stinks that the original mom doesn't get along with Will so a reunion show isn't happening any time soon.

Lulubop

Love it except how will and Nia long's relationship ended abruptly and was never brought up again. What's the story behind that? Did she want more money for the next season? Did they decided the next season was gonna be the last?

Josh5890

Love it except how will and Nia long's relationship ended abruptly and was never brought up again. What's the story behind that? Did she want more money for the next season? Did they decided the next season was gonna be the last?

All I know is that a few years ago she said that she wouldn't be a part of any reunion until Will got off his high horse or something along those lines.

Steeven

I laughed my ass off the first time I saw Geoffrey flying downstairs. It was a puppet like in Married With Children, it always gets me.

The most hilarious episode probably was the one in which Will and Carlton had a pool party which got wrecked by Uncle Phil and was then taken to court.

Didn't care much for the moralistic bullshit though.

Lagamorph

Loved this show, though I have to say I didn't like the serious episodes. Not just in this, but pretty much any comedy.

Uncle Phil also clearly the best character.

Crocodile

GOAT TV show. Great at the time and even years later it holds up. Comedy is still just as on point as ever, show is endlessly rewatchable and all the social messages are just as relevant now as they were then (hurray for progress in America........:/). Even if the show stared a rich family, the trials and tribulations they went through were relateable to people of all walks of life.

RIP James Avery

Every time Jazz wore that shirt I just start chucking because I knew what his future was.

Even worse is when they catch you off guard by doing shit like throwing him inside the house xD

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Uncle Phil was the best:

"Well speaking as a lawyer, I can only say that your daughter fits the criminal profile to a T, right down to the low sloping forehead, and the wide jaws suitable for grains and small rodents."
"I think you must have her confused with yo momma!"
*PUNCH*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMK8YAsaJfA

There are just so many classic quote from this series. I love that it's still in syndication and I can catch it regularly.

"Oh, too many big words?"
"Naw, Miss Thing, but I got a couple of small words for you..."

Original Aunt Viv was so much better

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The Danish title for the show was "Rap fyr i L.A" = Rap dude in L.A

the biggest tragedy in the history of black tv

enhanced-buzz-20566-1325001128-16.jpg

aunt-viv-snap-o.gif

negitoro7

Favourite show of all time. Favourite episode was "to this day I can still hear them taunting him. Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom