• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards Finalists Revealed

kyliethicc

The nominees for the 2021 game awards chosen by game developers are announced.

The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) is pleased to announce the nominees for its 25th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards (#DICEAwards), the video game industry’s premier, peer-juried awards show co-hosted for the sixth year by Jessica Chobot and Greg Miller. The winners will be revealed at a special 25th Anniversary edition of the D.I.C.E. Awards ceremony, and livestreamed by the official media partner, IGN, on Feb. 24 at the Mandalay Bay Resort in Las Vegas as the culmination of the week-long industry gathering at the 2022 D.I.C.E. Summit (#DICE2022).

Fifty-nine games released in 2021 received nominations. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart leads the pack with nine nominations, followed by Deathloopearning eight. Tying for six nominations each are Inscryption and It Takes Two, with Returnal earning five nods, and Kena: Bridge of Spirits and Resident Evil Village each taking four. Finalists for 2021’s top honor, Game of the Year, are: Deathloop, Inscryption, It Takes Two, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, and Returnal.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Inscryption making it into the cut is really nice. Won't win but just seeing it there is great. Most inventive game I played in 2021 for sure.

SJRB

Gold Member
-Deathloop

Screen_Shot_2021-04-21_at_2.15.25_PM.png

Last edited:
Inscryption making it into the cut is really nice. Won't win but just seeing it there is great. Most inventive game I played in 2021 for sure.
Why won't it win? You must have missed where the DICE and GDC awards gave Untitled Goose Game GOTY in 2019. Don't count it out.

Glad to see they nominated both Returnal and Ratchet for GOTY. Returnal really deserves it. Sure some people going to be mad neither Halo nor FH5 got nominated. I won't be surprised if Inscryption takes it as they gave it to Untitled Goose Game a couple years ago.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why won't it win? You must have missed where the DICE and GDC awards gave Untitled Goose Game GOTY in 2019. Don't count it out.

I just think they'll give it to Ratchet, but yeah, not outside the realm of possibility. I would still call Goose an anomaly next to their other GOTYs, though (and I also think there were 3 better "quaint indie" options that weren't even nominated that year).

I just think they'll give it to Ratchet, but yeah, not outside the realm of possibility. I would still call Goose an anomaly next to their other GOTYs, though (and I also think there were 3 better "quaint indie" options that weren't even nominated that year).
Yeah it's just after I seen them give Goose GOTY over games like Sekiro, Resident Evil 2, Death Stranding, and others I don't rule nothing out anymore.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm so happy for Housemarque. Sony should increase their team and let them do whatever they want. Really miss their arcade stuff
I haven't even had the chance to play Returnal and I can see why that game is a GOTY contender. Has HouseMarque made any big budget games where they were the main studio?

They should be given carte blanche and just go wild. Resogun, while taking me back to the old school Defender days, was on the level of Geometry Wars in terms of just how fun it was to play. I'm seeing the same kinda pure fun in Returnal.

kyoji

These are the Oscars equivalent awards btw. Everyone who votes is a member of the industry just like the Academy Awards.

This is far more prestigious than say the VGA which is pretty much a critics choice award.
Beat me to the punch, came to say something similar 👍

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
These are the Oscars equivalent awards btw. Everyone who votes is a member of the industry just like the Academy Awards.

This is far more prestigious than say the VGA which is pretty much a critics choice award.

"Prestigious". Its just a bunch of dipshits standing around in a circle jerking each other off. Its a fucking joke.

Interfectum

It's pretty wild that games like The Forgotten City and Bowser's Fury simply just get overlooked for not being long or "AAA" enough. I do like that Returnal is getting continued recognition though.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

Yeah DICE Awards are Oscars and VGAs are a press award like Golden Globes.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's pretty wild that games like The Forgotten City and Bowser's Fury simply just get overlooked for not being long or "AAA" enough. I do like that Returnal is getting continued recognition though.
Eh. These guys gave the Untitled Goose Game their GOTY award over Sekiro, RE2make and Death Stranding.

And just last year, Hades got the nod over TLOU2.

Maybe Forgotten City, Bowsers Fury and Psychonauts simply arent good enough.

Interfectum

Eh. These guys gave the Untitled Goose Game their GOTY award over Sekiro, RE2make and Death Stranding.

And just last year, Hades got the nod over TLOU2.

Maybe Forgotten City, Bowsers Fury and Psychonauts simply arent good enough.
Maybe so.

I'm really not understanding the propping up of R&C though. It's not even as good as the PS4 version. Pretty game though.

Fredrik

Maybe so.

I'm really not understanding the propping up of R&C though. It's not even as good as the PS4 version. Pretty game though.
Well that’s your opinion. Mine is that it’s #1 since Dread isn’t here.

But really, Dread should be here. Can’t believe the industry people don’t see what makes it so awesome. 28 GOTY awards so far world wide.

kyliethicc

Pretty sure Bowser's Fury is considered just DLC / an expansion.

Maybe so.

Game devs are a bit odd in taste I guess. Like yeah in 2019 the GOTY went to Goose game. idk

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well that’s your opinion. Mine is that it’s #1 since Dread isn’t here.

But really, Dread should be here. Can’t believe the industry people don’t see what makes it so awesome. 28 GOTY awards so far world wide.

Its Japanese and the western devs have a growing hate for anything Japan as they actually know how to develop games.

Top Bottom