• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$289 Switch/Steam Deck Alternative AyaNeo Air Plus Announced

Filben

Did anyone purchase this?

DF has tested this:

Performance is not close to the Deck, but is enough for older titles. It still manages in some AAA games to run at 30fps and slightly more. Given that this device doesn't use RDNA2, I find this quite impressive for the small form factor.

• Death Stranding, Control, Forza Horizon run at 30fps and sometimes higher; performance, in Control, is on par with base PS4 and XOne (720p though) and can dip into 40 or 50fps area (!)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider, no 30fps possible in many scenarios
  • the same game has a high CPU ceiling and stutter occasionally on the Deck
  • raw CPU performance is better on the AyaNeo from 10-30% but in real life performance the Deck performs often 30-50% better than the AyaNeo.
  • 5825U version cost even more, performance is only up to 10% more in certain titles and scenarios; more often it's between 2-7%, which is, to me, not surprising given that most games are GPU limited.
  • older titles from the X360/PS3 era, namely Batman Arkham City, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, run at 60fps
  • Speakers are way better on the Steam Deck

My notes:
  • they're mostly talking about the more expensive 16GB RAM Pro model, which cost 651 EUR (!). Shipping this thing to Germany, for instance, will cost you another 130 EUR (!) for import tax, duties and handling. So you're paying almost twice the price of the cheapest Steam Deck model that has better performance
  • however, you get an amazing OLED screen which beats the Deck's screen by a mile
  • way smaller form factor

While I really like everything I've seen from it, even the performance, because I wouldn't want to play AAA titles on an handheld anyways (using my Steam Deck mostly for older games and metroidvanias and the like), I couldn't justify the price they're asking.

Ideal device for me would be: Form factor and display from the AyaNeo Air and its performance for 400 EUR, or a less performant Steam Deck for 300 EUR. That would be amazing!

Last edited:
Top Bottom