• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2D Sidescroller Beat Em Up fans, may I reccomend The Takeover

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yes it's all true my friends, this is a great beat em up and the throwback plasticy looking Killer Instinct visuals are very appealing, so much so in fact that coupled with the fantastic hand to hand combat, this is a great addition to any beat em up sidescroller fans lineup. It's a great mashup of Streets of Rage, Final Fight, and Killer Instinct. The combo system is a lot of fun an not a lot of guess work is involved in putting combo's together because of the optional tutortial. Crank up the difficulty to hard and have a blast.

If I have any complaints, even though the hand to hand combat, enemies, locals, bosses and visuals are great,
the weapons, story, minigames and cut scenes are a bit lacklustre.

It's not Streets Of Rage 4 good but still awesome and was overlooked.

8/10

945682-the-takeover-windows-screenshot-running-with-a-crowbar-as.jpg

FeralEcho

Yup,got it on Switch a long time ago.As You said it's not Streets of Rage 4 but I found it to be really fun and has a cool graphical style.

YCoCg

OP you forgot to mention the cheesy af voice acting in this, it's really like they were just told to go full ham.

Agent X

I've never heard of this game until now, but it looks like there's some fun to be had here.

According to the description on the game page on Steam, Yuzo Koshiro contributed to the soundtrack.

When sprites are that highly detailed they need to have equally high animation quality to keep from feeling uncanny and cheap. Unfortunatly for this....

I get the impression that the animation was deliberately limited, to give the vibe of an early 1990s game. It's clearly an artistic decision.

I got it and put it down pretty quick. Wasn't into it but can't remember why. Been a while.

Not even in the same league as SoR4 but any beat em up has the potential for fun.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Looks interesting. Not a huge fan of the art style but gameplay looks cool.

Is online coop available?
There is no online mode. Only local play. I'm sorry my friends.

The good news is the single player mode graphics and hand to hand combat are the best of its class.

In some ways it's better than Streets of Rage 4 but not overall.

DelireMan7

There is no online mode. Only local play. I'm sorry my friends.

The good news is the single player mode graphics and hand to hand combat are the best of its class.

In some ways it's better than Streets of Rage 4 but not overall.
That's a shame. I usually play these kind of games in online coop with a friend (whom lives far from me).

Gameplay looks good to me. I keep it in mind for the future :)

DelireMan7

Are you on PS? You can use shareplay.
True !

I barely ever use it. But doesn't it have a quite noticeable input delay ? I remember testing it longtime ago (but I had bad connection at that time) and it was not really playable for me with the delay.

Should give it a try. Thanks for the input :)

TheKratos

True !

I barely ever use it. But doesn't it have a quite noticeable input delay ? I remember testing it longtime ago (but I had bad connection at that time) and it was not really playable for me with the delay.

Should give it a try. Thanks for the input :)
You can have some input delay but I usually just play simple coop games so a bit of input delay doesn't hurt the experience.

I always use shareplay for offline coop games. Plus it means you only need one copy.

Top Bottom