• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K says it will announce an ‘exciting new franchise’ this month - GTA 5 shipped over 150 million copies

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The publisher confirmed the plan during parent company Take Two’s 2022 Q1 earnings results call on Monday.

The new franchise will be released during the current fiscal year ending on March 31, 2022.

“Later this month, 2K will unveil details of another exciting new franchise planned for launch during this fiscal year,” Take-Two president Karl Slatoff said.

The new franchise could be announced at Gamescom 2021, which will be an all-digital event for the second year running.

During Monday’s earnings call, Take-Two also said it had delayed the launch of two of its “immersive core” titles to later in the current fiscal year than originally planned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That’s up from 145 million units reported by the publisher in May 2021.

The updated figure was released as part of Take Two’s 2022 Q1 earnings results on Monday.

Originally released in September 2013, the game reached $1 billion in retail sales faster than any entertainment release in history, according to Take-Two.

It is also the best-selling game of the decade in the US, in both unit and dollar sales, based on data from research firm the NPD Group.

kingfey

Banned
dj khaled hustler of the year GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

Elysion

Banned
New IP? Any idea what it might be? Maybe Agent will finally be revealed, lol. After all, it never was officially cancelled, was it? Or maybe it’s that medieval game that Rockstar has supposedly been working on for many years.

reinking

Gold Member
<----- this guy has not bought GTAV.

I am starting to feel subconscious about it. Can I call myself a real gamer if I don't own it?

If only Take-Two was run competently so they could leverage all that money into competent teams with a steady flow of releases like they had in the late 90's and 2000's.

Last edited:
  • Grand Theft Auto series : 350 million
  • NBA 2K series : 112 million
  • Borderlands series : 71 million
  • Red Dead series : 60 million
  • Civilization series : 58 million
  • BioShock series : 38 million
That mighty impressive would love to know how they compare to all the other big Publisher.

JLB

Banned
Not sure if the number was published, but 150m multiplied by let say an avg of usd30 per copy… that number is scientific notation big

Evilms

Banned
That mighty impressive would love to know how they compare to all the other big Publisher.

• Tetris : 490 millions
  • Pokemon : 380 million
  • FIFA : 325 million
  • Call Of Duty : 300 million
  • Minecraft : 200 million
  • The Sims : 200 million
  • Wii Series : 197 millions
  • Final Fantasy : 159 million
  • Assassin's Creed : 155 million

Markio128

Incredible numbers, and well deserved - GTA series especially - I’ve had a lot of fun playing them over the years.
It’s a shame Agent never came to fruition because the idea of an open-world espionage game sounded really interesting.

Holammer

New franchise? I'd love a "Dark Souls of GTA".
Partially joking, but I think a fantasy setting would make for a nice change of pace. With classes/races and character creation it could result in a game with a lot of replayability even in the Single player campaign.

it says 2k is announcing a new franchise, not take two. rockstar is owned by take two if i’m not mistaken, 2k is just a brother/sister subsidiary to rockstar, theyre both under take two parent. so why all the speculation rockstar is making a new game?

Last edited:

Bridges

This is probably that Marvel XCOM game that leaked around E3. I figure the odds of actually putting XCOM in the title are pretty slim, they'll probably call it a "new" Marvel franchise even if it's the same tactical gameplay.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
New franchise? I'd love a "Dark Souls of GTA".
Partially joking, but I think a fantasy setting would make for a nice change of pace. With classes/races and character creation it could result in a game with a lot of replayability even in the Single player campaign.

Although not fantasy, there was a rumor ages ago that Rockstar were making a medieval open world game.

Shubh_C63

Wow that is absolutely amazing.

Any idea what's COD franchise and Elder Scrolls does.

Edit : plz ignore. Got the answer.
Tetris : 490 millions
Pokemon : 380 million
FIFA : 325 million
Call Of Duty : 300 million
Minecraft : 200 million
The Sims : 200 million
Wii Series : 197 millions
Final Fantasy : 159 million
Assassin's Creed : 155 million

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2 Sales :

• 2018 Q4 : 23M
  • 2019 Q1 : 24M
  • 2019 Q2 : ~25M
  • 2019 Q3 : 26.5M
  • 2019 Q4 : 29M
  • 2020 Q1 : 31M
  • 2020 Q2 : 32M
  • 2020 Q3 : 34M
  • 2020 Q4 :36M
  • 2021 Q1 : 37M
  • 2021 Q2 : 38M

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
150M copies. It's never going to stop, is it?
That's almost 2% of the world's population, isn't it?
Tbh I think most people have ended up buying the game at least twice since it was released .. like one physical and one digital for instance.

FingerBang

Tbh I think most people have ended up buying the game at least twice since it was released .. like one physical and one digital for instance.
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but even if every person has bought the game twice, it'd still be a lot. It's just hard to wrap my head around it. I have loved the game on PS3 at launch, can't believe people are still playing it 8 years later (though I'm aware it's mainly for the online)

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
There are rumors on Marvel XCOM possibly being made? Sounds horrible, just make XCOM 3 featuring underwater missions like Terror from the Deep.

reforen

where are the best exclusive games in the gaming industry?

Top Bottom