• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 Body problem First Teaser Revealed

Fbh

Looks decent.
I liked the first book, at some point I have to go back and read the the other 2

SiteSeer

using a sagan quote and voice over is inspired. looks interesting. keeping expectations low, but ready to be pleasantly surprised.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Been waiting for this. I haven't read the books yet, but the premise seems so exciting.
Oh geez, now those box set prices are gonna go up. I just wanna buy my books for like $3 each :lollipop_pensive:

Trogdor1123

Yes. At least in the first one snd a half book I've read.

It's a very very imaginative and science heavy book series, especially the first one, so I personally really liked it.
I thought so too, doesn’t seem to be that way in the trailer but, again, I have not read it.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm currently reading the third book, and my mind has been blown so many times I can't count. I don't know how any of what's in books 2 and 3 can be adapted for the screen without a fuck ton of budget, but I'd sure love to see it, even if it fails. Some of the most insanely mindbending crazy ideas x2, even if a bit light on characterization.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm veeeeerrryy cautiously optimistic about this, loved the books but just the very concepts seem almost impossible to convey.

So many cool moments but but just seeing how they decide to show that astronomer making the choice to return the message will set the stage for the show.

Elysion

Banned
I haven’t read the books, but I’ve read the synopsis of the plot and have seen the first couple of episodes from the Chinese tv series, and I have no idea what the wierd stuff in this trailer has to do with any of it. Are there any sword-fighting women in sexy dresses in the books?

Lasha

I haven’t read the books, but I’ve read the synopsis of the plot and have seen the first couple of episodes from the Chinese tv series, and I have no idea what the wierd stuff in this trailer has to do with any of it. Are there any sword-fighting women in sexy dresses in the books?

China takes liberties when adapting media to film. Compare "the wandering earth" movie to the short story for a more egregious example. The actual books are too subversive for direct adaptation.

Garibaldi

I'm guessing they are embellishing the VR game/recruitment that's in the book. Same with the floating warriors and such.

Last edited:
It's going to be hard to put into a TV show the best parts, most of which are just mindbending concepts and ideas.
The potential is there to build on the premise but I doubt those GoT dipshits are able to.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Amey

this will be fun to watch
2wS7gPw.png

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Massively overrated book. People just liked it because it was Chinese, which was a novelty, and it was allowed to say that the Cultural Revolution was not a nice thing.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Oh, D&D are on this? As long as they don't, you know, do anything, it should end up fine if the source material is strong.

One of the most stunning and exciting series of books written in years. The short stories are incredible too. Lol at thinking the third book can even be attempted as a screen adaption. The concepts are too outrageous.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Isn't this just humans getting savaged by Aliens: The series? .

Watched a video on "The Dark Forest" ages ago and how the universe is full of life essentially but whoever makes the first move makes themselves vulnerable.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Isn't this just humans getting savaged by Aliens: The series? .

Watched a video on "The Dark Forest" ages ago and how the universe is full of life essentially but whoever makes the first move makes themselves vulnerable.
In the loosest sense. Yeah, the aliens are coming but there are LOTS of attack/counter attack by the humans to avoid/delay/defeat them. The first book is really more about figuring out who the aliens are and what they want in the first place. The trilogy takes place over hundreds, if not thousands of years, though hopefully they don't fall down the Rings of Power/Foundation route of compressing the timeliness just to keep the same human actors around.

Ballthyrm

It is a series known for clever mind expanding ideas and Netflix probably asked to dumb it down for the little people.
So unless they stay Faithfull to the big concepts, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Massively overrated book. People just liked it because it was Chinese, which was a novelty, and it was allowed to say that the Cultural Revolution was not a nice thing.

Chinese film makers have been criticizing the Cultural Revolution for at least 30 years. I watched "Farewell My Concubine" in an art house cinema in 93, that's when I first saw a movie about the horrors of the Cultural Revolution from a Chinese perspective. There were earlier films made in the 1980ies that denounced the Mao years like Hibiiscus Town and King of the Children (both 1987). After Mao's death the new Chinese leadership tried Mao's closest confidants (the Gang of Four) and of course allowed movies and books that showed how bad Mao's reign of terror was during the Cultureal Revolution.

I'm currently reading the third book, and my mind has been blown so many times I can't count. I don't know how any of what's in books 2 and 3 can be adapted for the screen without a fuck ton of budget, but I'd sure love to see it, even if it fails. Some of the most insanely mindbending crazy ideas x2, even if a bit light on characterization.
It is also a wonder how they will deal with the bleakness. I found some ideas and events from the final book troubling, to say the least. Also, that stuff about "feminized" men in the second. I wonder how that will be handled for western audiences, because it seemed like a weird detail when I was reading these books.

Last edited:

mclaren777

I really should get around to reading the books. The Chinese made series is very good so I'm interested in how the Netflix version will fare. Whole series is up and subbed on Youtube.

Sadly, that YouTube version is really hard to follow. They did the subtitling poorly (it's almost word-for-word instead of sentence-for-sentence) so you spend too much time staring at the words, constantly worried that you're missing information.

I decided to pay for access to this streaming version and it's much easier to follow: https://www.viki.com/tv/39255c-three-body

Corpsepyre

Banned
It is also a wonder how they will deal with the bleakness. I found some ideas and events from the final book troubling, to say the least. Also, that stuff about "feminized" men in the second. I wonder how that will be handled for western audiences, because it seemed like a weird detail when I was reading these books.

I'm about 300 pages into Death's End, and yeah, that entire chapter set in the city of (REDACTED) was very, very bleak. Just on a different level.

Also, don't think the feminized men angle is going to make it into the show. For now atleast, it feels like something that can be cut without any compromises.

The books remind me of Vonnegut’s sci-fi in there being something ineffably sad and hopeless about every scene, no matter what it’s describing.

Top Bottom