• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 fps killing my eyes! Devs should abandon it!

Bojji

Currently many pc games have exclusive stuttering not present on consoles so people super sensitive to performance sometimes don't have any way to play their games smoothly...

Currently many pc games have exclusive stuttering not present on consoles so people super sensitive to performance sometimes don't have any way to play their games smoothly...
Yeah and some PC games hate refresh rates higher than 60, but there's no way to change the refresh within the game, so you have to change it in Windows before starting the game. PC gaming is super annoying.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah and some PC games hate refresh rates higher than 60, but there's no way to change the refresh within the game, so you have to change it in Windows before starting the game. PC gaming is super annoying.
haha that's not a big issue but it is 100% true. There is tons of little annoyances that should not be there years and years ago

Whitecrow

Banned
With technologies like FSR, devs have no excuse for not providing 60FPS to our games.
Dont have reasons to abandone 30 fps either.

As long as it allows developers reach their vision and create deeper and richer worlds, 30 fps are here to stay.

Bankai

haha so dramatic "killing my eyes"

Animation Dying GIF by The Spine of Night

"30fps - the horror"

OZ9000

Banned
Dont have reasons to abandone 30 fps either.

As long as it allows developers reach their vision and create deeper and richer worlds, 30 fps are here to stay.
There is nothing that requires 30FPS to achieve 'deeper and richer worlds'.

I'm as much of a graphics whore as the most ardent DF fanboys, however, what is the point when your game runs like a slideshow? 30FPS is simply atrocious to play.

The one that looks the best on screenshots?
Yeah, the devs spent all that time and energy creating all the assets in 4K or higher just for screenshots. /s

They obviously made the 60fps mode as a last minute option seeing as how bad it looks. They knew people would be butt hurt unless there is a 60fps mode.

You have to remember though, the 60fps mode is basically PS4 Pro graphics with the frame rate unlocked.... it's like playing in BC mode. This is not how future games will be once they start dropping support for those old outdated last gen machines.

JRW

Even 60fps is rough when you're used to 100+ fps on a higher refresh rate monitor. Elden Ring is a good example being its capped 60fps on PC. I used to think people were crazy for complaining about 60fps but that was before I bought a 144Hz monitor.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Some experts will tell you that the human eye can see between 30 and 60 frames per second. Some maintain that it’s not really possible for the human eye to perceive more than 60 frames per second.

Guy is dying because his eyes are seeing things like everyone else.

Whitecrow

Banned
There is nothing that requires 30FPS to achieve 'deeper and richer worlds'.

I'm as much of a graphics whore as the most ardent DF fanboys, however, what is the point when your game runs like a slideshow? 30FPS is simply atrocious to play.
30 is not an slideshow. Doesnt matter how many times do you repeat it to yourselves. It wont be true.

MikeM

Solid counter argument.

There are a looot of very playable games at 30 fps.
In the PSX/N64 era there were games that were even below. And people coud play them and have fun.

That is backed up by all the people who enjoyed them.

Your gif is backed up by your arse. Basically. So... nice try.
CRT is the sole reason it was solid. With today’s panels, 30fps is terrible looking. This is known tho and the reason why devs should be focussed on 60fps instead of 30fps.

DukeNukem00

Banned
Of course it will, but you'll probably have to start lowering settings in a couple years.

The best GPU in 2013 was the GTX 780 Ti.... imagine using that card the entire PS4/XBox One era....

He wont have to lower the settings unless those settings are like 4 times what you get on consoles. A 3080 is cca twice as fast than whats in a PS5. Why would a card thats 2x faster than ps5 have to lower details for a game running on ps5 ? The 780TI could have run every game for the entire gen if it were not limited by the small vram buffer and aging architecture.

tommib

Solid counter argument.

In the PSX/N64 era there were games that were even below. And people coud play them and have fun.

Playing Elden Ring on quality mode on my PS5. Wouldn’t trade it for performance.

Also, origami king and Luigi’s mansion 3 on Switch. All at 30 fps. All delightful to play.

And the most revolutionary game I’ve played in my life ran at 30 fps: RE4 on GameCube.

Only game I've tried at 30 fps since PS5 released was RDR2, and I couldn't do it anymore. I'm not going back to 30 fps again. I'll be skipping anything that doesn't have a 60 fps mode.

Solid counter argument.

True.

That being said, a big TV was 32" back in the days, and those who had the chance to play 60fps titles in the arcades knew full well how good it could be, people can still hope for better. Also, a lot of kids played on 13"-14" TVs in their room.

- Most games ran at resolutions below 320p (no need for even 480p when your signal can't even carry it!)
- Neither PS1 nor Saturn had analog controls when they launched!
- No network play (that may be a blessing in disguise)
- PS1 had no texture filtering, textures warped to hell while moving, etc.
- N64 had some extremely low quality texture filtering, carts with little space for high resolution textures, etc.

Yes we had fun, but all these performance, image quality control input types were compromises, like we could all still be eating raw foods and be hunter gatherers (it may not be that bad of an idea after all).

nemiroff

Gold Member
We've had 60fps games since several decades ago like in the arcades back in the days (and f.ex. the NES), no wonder why people feel 30fps should be phased out by 2022 where we've had several jumps in resolution and details as well.

Last edited:
He wont have to lower the settings unless those settings are like 4 times what you get on consoles. A 3080 is cca twice as fast than whats in a PS5. Why would a card thats 2x faster than ps5 have to lower details for a game running on ps5 ? The 780TI could have run every game for the entire gen if it were not limited by the small vram buffer and aging architecture.

Kinda funny that you think the 3080 is future proof, but the 780Ti was gimped from the start haha

Like I said, the 780 Ti was the best you could get on PC when the PS4 came out.

Technology moves on and at some point down the road, the 3080 isn't gonna cut it anymore. It's just gonna be old and outdated.

Only game I've tried at 30 fps since PS5 released was RDR2, and I couldn't do it anymore. I'm not going back to 30 fps again. I'll be skipping anything that doesn't have a 60 fps mode.
Good luck with that!

I refuse to play anything that has even the slightest hint of screen tearing, so I feel ya.

DukeNukem00

Banned
Kinda funny that you think the 3080 is future proof, but the 780Ti was gimped from the start haha

Like I said, the 780 Ti was the best you could get on PC when the PS4 came out.

Technology moves on and at some point down the road, the 3080 isn't gonna cut it anymore. It's just gonna be old and outdated.

I said the 780TI had the power, but some modern games might suffer due to its vram. Look at the card running Horizon, which came out in 2020 on PC, utterly unpotimized for computers. The card runs between 50 and 60 frames. 7 years after its life.

Like i said, a 3080 is twice as fast than a ps5. There will be ZERO casses where a 3080 will strugle during ps5's entire lifespan. Can you elaborate in what manner will a part twice as fast as a ps5 strugle in the future ? That means that particular game which will strugle on a 3080 will be completely unplayable on ps5 ? Cause thats the only way this will happen.

Last edited:

XXL

Dips below 60 make me literally start shaking and then I start vomiting. Then I get really depressed and go to sleep.

I said the 780TI had the power, but some modern games might suffer due to its vram. Look at the card running Horizon, which came out in 2020 on PC, utterly unpotimized for computers. The card runs between 50 and 60 frames. 7 years after its life.

Like i said, a 3080 is twice as fast than a ps5. There will be ZERO casses where a 3080 will strugle during ps5's entire lifespan. Can you elaborate in what manner will a part twice as fast as a ps5 strugle in the future ? That means that particular game which will strugle on a 3080 will be completely unplayable on ps5 ? Cause thats the only way this will happen.
What you're saying reminds me of the "we'll never need more than 4MB of RAM" thing.

Nobody can predict the future, but yes, there will be a point where your precious 3080 will be underpowered and outdated.

Hardware requirements get more demanding as time marches on. I thought you would know things like that, but I guess not.

Otre

Banned
They should not abandon it, the vast amount of money dosent care about high framerates. Its sad. If it were by me, 60 would be minimum. The reality is that a proper framepaced 30, while not smooth, its perfectly playable. Making hyperbole statements of "I cant go back", while kind of funny if said in a jokey manner, just screams that you need some strife in your comfortable life to get some perspective if said seriously.

They should not abandon it, the vast amount of money dosent care about high framerates. Its sad. If it were by me, 60 would be minimum. The reality is that a proper framepaced 30, while not smooth, its perfectly playable. Making hyperbole statements of "I cant go back", while kind of funny if said in a jokey manner, just screams that you need some strife in your comfortable life to get some perspective if said seriously.
Remember back in the day when TLOU1 remaster came out for PS4... so many people were like HOLY COW 60fps WOW WOW WOW THIS IS INSANE NEXT GEN GRAPHICS AND 60FPS. I CAN'T GO BACK TO 30 NOW. IT'S TOO GOOD and ULTRA REALISTIC GRAPHICS TOO WOW WOW WOW.

We all know how that turned out and also, TLOU1 isn't really that impressive looking, even for a PS4 game. It literally looks like a high res PS3 game.

tommib

Maybe I'm weird but I prefer to play horror games like the last of us and biohazard in 30fps. It looks more like a movie.
That’s totally fine. I wish we could have cinematics at 30 and gameplay at 60. I kept changing modes with final fantasy VII remake on ps5. I wanted the bump in resolution for the cinematics and the 30 fps. Tsushima DC has cutscenes at 30 real-time and it does add to the filmic nature of those scenes.

Remember back in the day when TLOU1 remaster came out for PS4... so many people were like HOLY COW 60fps WOW WOW WOW THIS IS INSANE NEXT GEN GRAPHICS AND 60FPS. I CAN'T GO BACK TO 30 NOW. IT'S TOO GOOD and ULTRA REALISTIC GRAPHICS TOO WOW WOW WOW.

We all know how that turned out and also, TLOU1 isn't really that impressive looking, even for a PS4 game. It literally looks like a high res PS3 game.
What if I told you the last of us was a PS3 game...

DukeNukem00

Banned
What you're saying reminds me of the "we'll never need more than 4MB of RAM" thing.

Nobody can predict the future, but yes, there will be a point where your precious 3080 will be underpowered and outdated.

Hardware requirements get more demanding as time marches on. I thought you would know things like that, but I guess not.

Instead of rambling aimless nonsense, i asked you to be specific in what way will a component twice as fast as ps5 will be "outdated". Maybe answer on the subject which you presented. Im still waiting. How will 2x ps5 performance be bottlenecked in the future ?

Instead of rambling aimless nonsense, i asked you to be specific in what way will a component twice as fast as ps5 will be "outdated". Maybe answer on the subject which you presented. Im still waiting. How will 2x ps5 performance be bottlenecked in the future ?
I can't tell you definitively what the future will be, but since we can learn from the past, we know that technology moves on and what's top of the line today, will be struggling in just a few years.

How good is the GTX 1080 Ti doing today with 4K and ray tracing?

DukeNukem00

Banned
I can't tell you definitively what the future will be, but since we can learn from the past, we know that technology moves on and what's top of the line today, will be struggling in just a few years.

How good is the GTX 1080 Ti doing today with 4K and ray tracing?

You tried to make a claim how 3080 will aparently strugle soon. Then continued to beat around the bush with claims that go from 2013's 780TI to now 1080TI to now saying you dont know.

How things will play out is like this: 3080 is 2x faster than a ps5. This is a hard fact, that will not change next year, not 10 years from now. It will never stop being two times faster than a ps5. Therefore, it will for all time, run any game that the ps5 also runs substantially better. Of course the card will age and you will have to adjust details. But that will happen at quality levels far, far beyond what any current consoles will do. 7 years from now, when we will retire the ps5, a 3080 will still run games better and faster. Because 7 years from now this gpu will still be 2x faster than a ps5.

Top Bottom