• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror: The Awakening |OT| The October Movie Marathon

TacosNSalsa

12. Dracula Untold - Rewatch.This is playing right now on FXM and I swear I love this movie . I know it's been panned by critics for straying very far from the Dracula we've all come to know and for being very stylized but this guy is a bad ass. I think I've seen most incarnations of Dracula and I think this is one of the most if not THE most powerful version of him. He can lay waste to full armies by himself. Will watch whenever it comes on.
nRcwxogl.jpg

XyRPcuz.gif

This trailer for Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 actually isn't too far off from what he is capable of

Kagey K

Banned
14. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - OK so this is the big one for me. This is the series that started my love for the genre as a whole. As a kid I think 3 was the first one I saw and didn’t really respect the first one until I got older.

Freddy was the the most charismatic killer of the time and at times you rooted for him to win. He was able to be funny and menacing seemed to really enjoy scaring the crap out of kids.

My son said he wanted to watch Freddy or Chucky before this year was done and I chose Freddy because I remember being much more afraid of Chucky when I was a kid.

The first movie is much darker then most of the rest going forward and Freddy as a character isn’t himself yet. Many of the standards set by this movie are still in effect to this day, in fact my son was pointing out Stranger Things references during the movie, He also noted at the funeral a tombstone reads Stark and made an I Love you 3000 joke.

The 2 big death scenes in the movie freaked him out and I think he’s a new fan. His hands and feet were sweating during a few scenes.

This movie has to be a 5/5 just because of what it did for the horror genre and the fact that it is still a better horror movie now then most most movies produced today.

I pulled out the box set and my son is convinced we can binge the rest over the weekend, so there might be more Freddy reviews coming up.

Last edited:

Tenaciousmo

13.The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015)
Two Teenage girls are left behind in a boarding school during winter break. eerie atmosphere happens
My lack of sleep made this movie less enjoyable and the fact i thought brown haired girl was Emma Roberts didn't help.
once i figured it out, It was quite enjoyable, definitely a slow burn, without a big finish. Would recommend.
81OpkT54z9L._SL1500_.jpg

14. Ginger Snaps (2000) - Is a great cookie too.
Canadian teen werewolf movie about 2 teen sister. (Was sure it was going to be witches for some reasons)
Enjoyable movie, I would've never guessed from the trailer to the bad posters. Would recommend to anyone.
Shoutout to the part where they cook the heroin cure

EDIT:
MV5BZTU5ZThjNzAtNjc4NC00OTViLWIxYTYtODFmMTk5Y2NjZjZiL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_.jpg

15.Repulsion (1965)
Girl moves in her sister's apartment, doesn't like her sister's boyfriend and basically every other guy she encounters while being ACTIVELY passive about everything.
I've found it more frustrating than i enjoyed it.
the it was all a dream part doesnt help.

Last edited:

Domisto

#13 Scream and Die (1974) aka The House That Vanished

A couple of burglars witness a murder. One escapes, the other goes missing. An early British slasher. One or two little surprises but mostly predictable and too slow and dull without enough payoff.

ofrMRmCVUEb7jCmxJfFw9L7rffh.jpg

Tenaciousmo

15.Repulsion (1965)
Girl moves in her sister's apartment, doesn't like her sister's boyfriend and basically every other guy she encounters while being ACTIVELY passive about everything.
I've found it more frustrating than i enjoyed it.
p7819824_v_v8_aa.jpg

16. The House of the Devil (2009)
1983 naive girl answers to a babysitter ad and when she gets there she is not alarmed by any of the redflags. thank god otherwise we wouldnt have a movie.
Extremely enjoyable watch with a classic feel to it, girl is super cute and a very surprising gun kill.
Hard Recommend on that one

TacosNSalsa

13. Freddy vs. Jason - Rewatch . Another one I absolutely love. Extremely high camp, cheese factor and that was what I was looking for in movie like this . Had a few surprises so I was very pleased with what I saw . Freddy is my favorite horror movie icon and Robert Englund is just freaking great as usual . These movies are why I'm a horror fan!!! Caught it on Starz

u2MTo83l.jpg

ggQsBLP.gif

Manus

p7819824_v_v8_aa.jpg

1983 naive girl answers to a babysitter ad and when she gets there she is not alarmed by any of the redflags. thank god otherwise we wouldnt have a movie.
Extremely enjoyable watch with a classic feel to it, girl is super cute and a very surprising gun kill.

A5GTr9b.jpg

My favorite Ti West film. I'm still mad I didn't get the VHS special edition when I had the chance.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
15. A Nighmare on Elm Street 2: Freddys Revenge - Ok so this movie has always been and will forever be a strange spot in the Nightmare series. It doesn’t follow or respect the rules laid out in the first movie. You do however get to see some of Freddys personality start to shine through.

If you take Freddy out of it and just make it a standard horror movie it’s perfectly serviceable and could be a great slasher flick, by throwing Freddy into it you elevate the prestige of the movie, but sacrifice the character. I’m actually surprised that they greenlight a sequel after this, but thank God they do. This sequel could have easily been the death of Mr Krueger.

As a slasher movie it gets 3/5 as a Nightmare movie it’s barely a 2.

16. The Faculty - A very 90s take on the Body Snatchers/Puppet Masters genre. It’s full of people that you know, some who went on to bigger things, and some who petered out.

When I first saw this I was thoroughly disappointed, it didn’t live up to what I wanted it to be at all, some of my younger friends were obsessed with it though.

After rewatching it today, I can understand what they liked about it. The soundtrack is a banger, the gore is good even if it’s sparse, but my major gripe still the solution to the problem.
I don’t think it was a good message then, and I think it’s even worse now.

As a whole the movie has more going for it then I used to give it credit for, so it does move up a bit in my list.
3/5

Domisto

#14 Subspecies (1991)

This is a super cheesy vampire flick, and damn it's so earnest I couldn't help but find a bit charm in it. Looks like they filmed it all in Romania or somewhere similar and got some very good locations. It plays like a comic, straight to the point, minimal dialogue and some nice classic imagery. I can't decide if I liked it or just found it a really easy mindless watch.

Tenaciousmo

#14 Subspecies (1991)
This is a super cheesy vampire flick, and damn it's so earnest I couldn't help but find a bit charm in it. Looks like they filmed it all in Romania or somewhere similar and got some very good locations. It plays like a comic, straight to the point, minimal dialogue and some nice classic imagery. I can't decide if I liked it or just found it a really easy mindless watch.
I'm gonna have to add to the list , available anywhere like amazon/netflix or something

Manus

ThelovedonesUSposter.jpg

15. Rewatch. The Loved Ones. Fantastic little Australian horror film. To this day still has scenes where you wanna look away from the screen which is hard to find nowadays. Everyone should check it out if no one here has scene it.

Fright_night_poster.jpg

16. Rewatch. Fright Night. The 80's has so many good horror films it's crazy. This one is up there with one of the best. Great vampire transformation scene as well. Don't watch the remake, it's rash.

Tenaciousmo

p16530438_v_v8_ad.jpg

17. Crawl (2019)
aka Hurri-Cayman, Typhodile, StormGator
-out of dumb names because gharial is hard to fit with wind based disaster-
That movie is exactly what you think its gonna be. cheesy but entertaining.

MV5BMTQ4MjAzMzQzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzkyMTU2NA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,652,1000_AL_.jpg

18. The Raven (1963)
A wizard turned raven by another wizard comes to another wizard to lift the curse.
I laughed more at it than with it. I don't regret watching it, but i can't recommend unless you have copious amount of booze. I could see a drunk watch of this be fun.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

14. The Final Wish-Came across this one while browsing Showtime and never heard of it before . Lin Shaye and Tony Todd were the reasons I gave it shot .Can't say much about what it is about as I feel that would be giving it away . It's a slow burn and it took almost an hour for things to ramp up but I'm happy I watched it
WEbDRo5l.jpg

hukURlW.jpg

#13 Night of the Living Deb

Found this dvd last month for $1 at Dollar Tree, it's a zombie horror comedy and man was it good. It's basically the american version of Shaun of the Dead, but with an unlikely love story between the two main charachters. I was really impressed and I highly recommend it. Bonus, it has a really good blooper reel on the dvd.

Last edited:

kunonabi

October 10th:
The Exorcist III[Amazon Prime]

So, so good. It's one of those 90's horror movies that operates in a slightly absurd, off kilter reality that makes everything better. It's a slow, subtle burn punctuated with a bit of cheese and amazing performances by Scott and Douriff. It isnt perfect but I loved every minute of it. RLM's review was spot in.

October 11th:
Blood and Black Lace[Amazon Prime]

Bava was really letting it all hang out with this one. Great use of space, light, shadow, and color with some brutal violence and a bit of skin to tie it all together. The actual mystery and resolution is weak but still an elegant masterpiece nonetheless.

October 12th:
Dark Water[Shudder]

So much better than the dreadful american remake. It's simply constructed but sometimes less is more and the movie benefits greatly from keeping the scale small and it's focus on tension from the haunting and the domestic issues.

Last edited:

Domisto

#16 Dead Space: Downfall (2008) - on UK prime

The animation is a mix of 2D and 3D, some good bits, some not so good. Story exactly what you'd expect after playing the game. Bit bland, bit cliched, ended up leaving it on more in the background.

deadspacedf_poster1.jpg

10. The Live
MV5BMTQ3MjM3ODU1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjU3NDU2MTE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

this was amazingly absurd in all the good 90s ways. super cheese. from the jazzy sound track to rowdy roddy piper starring in it. didnt know what to expect... I enjoyed the FUN of it all, but by god is it bad filmmaking. fun concept. cool makeup. pretty much an action flick though. not really horror.

bonus: features a 10 minute back alley brawl sequence between the two good guys because one doesnt want to try on a pair of sunglasses.

Last edited:

Domisto

bonus: features a 10 minute back alley brawl sequence between the two good guys because one doesnt want to try on a pair of sunglasses.
The fight scene is glorious. Making good use of Roddy there. The film fully embraces all the absurdities of the action genre and stuffs it into a Twilight Zone plot. Always a fun one.

#17 Late Phases: Night of the Lone Wolf (2014) - on UK prime

Been a while since I've seen a fun werewolf movie and that was a good one. Did a great job with the unlikely hero, liked the characters and the setting.

MV5BNTc0MjkwMTQzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjYxNzExMzE@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Drag Me to Hell (2009)

MV5BMTQwNTMyNjc5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTI2MTQ0Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Classic Sam Raimi, Alison Rohman does a great job as the lead protagonist (what the hell happened to her?). The thing I love about her character is she's written like any other person in the real world and makes realistic decisions based on that. It has it's flaws, mainly CG goat seance scene and Justin Long, but overall the movie is good enough to overcome that.

It has one of the funniest, disgusting (depending on how you look at) scenes ever without showing gratuitous gore. It shows just how creative Sam Raimi was still. There are tons of the Sam Raimi film quirks that make it an absolute joy to watch. I fucking love this movie with it's over the top camp, you can tell Raimi had a lot of fun making this.

I know the film didn't do well in theaters but I really think a follow up sequel with the same premise would do really well on Netflix if Raimi was involved.

J-Roderton

Drag Me to Hell (2009)

MV5BMTQwNTMyNjc5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTI2MTQ0Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Classic Sam Raimi, Alison Rohman does a great job as the lead protagonist (what the hell happened to her?). The thing I love about her character is she's written like any other person in the real world and makes realistic decisions based on that. It has it's flaws, mainly CG goat seance scene and Justin Long, but overall the movie is good enough to overcome that.

It has one of the funniest, disgusting (depending on how you look at) scenes ever without showing gratuitous gore. It shows just how creative Sam Raimi was still. There are tons of the Sam Raimi film quirks that make it an absolute joy to watch. I fucking love this movie with it's over the top camp, you can tell Raimi had a lot of fun making this.

I know the film didn't do well in theaters but I really think a follow up sequel with the same premise would do really well on Netflix if Raimi was involved.

It’s a weird one. Saw it in theaters. At the time it was scary as shit to me, but funny, then scary again. Love it.

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995)

MV5BNGM3N2VmNDQtNWMwNC00MDI5LThhNzYtNTlkZjkwZTJlNTRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_SX683_AL_.jpg

One of my all time favorite camp horror movies. Billy Zane simply steals the movie, he portrays one of the greatest movie villains ever that oozes charisma. Jada Pinkett does a decent job as the fairly straightforward protagonist but Thomas Hayden Church is amazing as a redneck asshole and his interactions with Billy Zane are some of the best in the film.

Even for a campy horror movie there's so much depth and nuance to Zane's character, there's actual character development for a villain which makes it interesting. I absolutely love this movie. It's a shame that Bordello of Blood was so awful after starting out strong with Demon Knight.

Also BlackOlivesMatter BlackOlivesMatter the movie has lots of breasts.

pBLTcdZ.gif

J-Roderton

13. Phoenix Forgotten (HULU)
Below-average found footage. It was aliens, so that kinda creeped me out. Not terrible.

14. The Blackcoat's Daughter (Netflix)
It's probably my favorite new-watch this year. Just tense and weird all around. Also, Lucy Boynton is just a total babe. The second film I've seen with her in it this month.

13. Phoenix Forgotten (HULU)
Below-average found footage. It was aliens, so that kinda creeped me out. Not terrible.

14. The Blackcoat's Daughter (Netflix)
It's probably my favorite new-watch this year. Just tense and weird all around. Also, Lucy Boynton is just a total babe. The second film I've seen with her in it this month.
Uh hello......Emma Roberts is in The Blackcoats Daughter.

Manus

Event_horizon_ver1.jpg

17. Rewatch. Event Horizon. I know this film gets a lot of praise from horror fans, but I just don't like it. It's why I wanted to watch it again and I still can't get into it. Has some creepy vibes, but I just don't see what people like in it.

Also been rewatching Hannibal the TV series. It's some of the best horror/drama TV ever done. It has some of the creepiest imagery and mood for a TV show that I don't even like watching it at night. The show is gorgeous. Everyone who is a fan of horror needs to watch this series. Every season is on Amazon Prime.

Hannibal_S01E01_kissthemgoodbye_net_1388.jpg
Hannibal_s01e05_kissthemgoodbye_net_0324.jpg

TacosNSalsa

16. The Legend of Black Annie -Wow..if Satan had dingleberries that were movies this would be it . Okay , if Satan's dingleberries had dingleberries that had a pet that had dingleberries and those dingeberries had a slave with dingleberries this would be it . I was thinking it could possibly be a so bad it's good movie but no . It's just bad. Kids bully a young girl who ends up dying and many years later her assailants start dying .

FcUkN9Rl.jpg

C9NM8UNl.jpg

Last edited:
12. Halloween og

Mannn everytime i watch this movie i refall in love. Its great, and i feel like theres certain storytelling aspects you just dont see anymore in films. There are some parts though where i feel like they werent purposefully done with the intent that they elicit now. Anyways - one of my faves. Cant do october without it.

13. The addams family

Solid and fun movie. Havent seen in awhile, but the cast and humor are great. So much better then whatever “family friendly” garbage hollywood puts out now.

14. Hocus Pocus

Wife was watching during her labor, so i was in and out of this one “second screening” with my phone. I dont love bette midler. It was meh to me. I know some people like it. Maybe if i paid attention more but it started to get nauseating.

Last edited:

kunonabi

October 13th:
Summer of 84[Shudder]

Second time watching this and I'm still pissed at how underrated it is. It got compared to Stranger Things a lot when it released despite being a totally different beast and a much better story anyway. Some of the kids could have used a bit development/interaction but any shortcomings it might have are remedied by one of the best third acts in a long time.

October 14th:
Sadako vs Kayako[Shudder]

During my wait for the new Ringu Blu-ray collection I decided to go ahead and this another viewing as I mostly slept through it the first time. This is quite possibly the most incompetent and wasteful script they could have put together for this. The Ju-on half of the movie fares a bit better since it has the only decent performance and casting in Suzuka but the dodgy effects still hurt it. The final battle is basically nothing and has the laziest of setups. Total freaking misfire that could have been something really fun.

October 15th:
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers[Shudder]

This is usually my Halloween night tradition but I decided to watch it without the commercials this time around. I really wish somebody would give it a nice new transfer on Blu-ray. It isnt a looker by any stretch but there are a couple shots that would benefit. I still wish Jamie had a longer solo chase and some more time with Loomis but otherwise I still really enjoy this entry. It's really the last film in the original series that really feels like the cast and crew were invested in trying to make something good.

Last edited:

Tenaciousmo

18. The Raven (1963)
A wizard turned raven by another wizard comes to another wizard to lift the curse.
I laughed more at it than with it. I don't regret watching it, but i can't recommend unless you have copious amount of booze. I could see a drunk watch of this be fun.
MV5BMTUyNzkwMzAxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzc1OTk1NjE@._V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

19. The Witch (2015) - Canadian prime videos
Early new england settler family gets kicked out of a plantation and their youngest disapears at the edge of the woods.
Not much Horror nor mystery since they kind of show everything too early. Slow burn with decent pay-off at the end.

images

20. REWATCH - Gremlins (1984)
A dad is venturing through chinatown to sell his newest invention. He gets to an old shop with a creepy one eyed Chinese old man an tries to buy a weird ass hamster for his son.
Even tho it's a Christmas movie, I don't care, I love gremlins and its classified as horror. Bonus Found a 4k re-release of it.

Last edited:

Domisto

First two Hatchets are great. Grab a beer.

#18 Revenge of the Living Dead Girls (1987)

What was that? It's a run of the mill cheap French zombie film with toxic waste dumping and eco warriors. A bunch of little plotlines and yet much of it is a ridiculous mess. The dubbed dialogue is hilarious at times. And it has the most convenient abrupt ending since Monster a Go-Go. The alternate ending isn't much better. There's a couple of really nasty ideas made somehow worse because the execution makes no sense. Plus a big dose of sleaze. These are also the smartest zombies I think I've seen. Would watch again, lol.
la_revanche_des_mortes_vivantes_neo_face-ac671.jpg

Keihart

Just saw "Wounds" on Netflix, i did not expected that plot or ending. It was pretty alright.
In the tall grass was better tho.
I feel like Netflix originals during October are filling the hole that After Dark Horror Fest used to fill for me, pretty neat.
I like rewatching movies, but sometimes i feel like i've scratched so far down the horror movie barrel that there is mostly trash left over so i appreciate some new interesting movies.

Top Bottom