• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

32 Games Will Be Taken Off PS Plus Extra, Premium Next Month

Topher

Gold Member
We've always known PS Plus Extra and PS Plus Premium will have rotating catalogues with titles added and removed monthly, but it's unlikely anyone expected 32 games to be taken away all at once. That's what's happening next month, though: the service's Last Chance to Play section has been updated with a whopping 32 titles that'll disappear on 16th May 2023.
The complete list reads as follows:

This is obviously a very substantial list, with many quality titles that are more than worth playing included. In addition, the PS Plus Collection will also be taken away on 9th May 2023, which contains another 19 great PS4 titles. You'll still be able to play them once they're gone as long as you redeem them before the expiration date, but any new subscribers will miss out after next month.

Guessing Sony is removing Spider-man ahead of the upcoming showcase that will probably feature the sequel in hopes of additional sales.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I think these gaming subs are going to end up just like Netflix. Publishers will remove their games from the big subs to make their own. Then we will have a million little subs instead of a few big ones.

Maybe I'm old school, but I would rather just buy my games instead of worrying if a game I'm invested in will be available to me next month.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think these gaming subs are going to end up just like Netflix. Publishers will remove their games from the big subs to make their own. Then we will have a million little subs instead of a few big ones.

Maybe I'm old school, but I would rather just buy my games instead of worrying if a game I'm invested in will be available to me next month.
This, a thousand times this…

More fun reading here: https://t.co/bIL1wCIu2x?ssr=true

Kvally

Banned
Oh No Fire GIF

0% chance I will refresh PS Plus Extra sub. I've only played Stray and I've had it since day one.

It's not like it has terrible games just mainly really old ones that I've already played.

I couldn't see myself moving to a patient gamer style where I don't buy stuff when it's new. If you can it's probably amazing value.

Gamepass at least gets lots of AA PC stuff that I would end up buying anyway so remains good value for me ATM but if you have no PC or no interest in non AAA stuff then that is a bust too with the complete lack of output from MS.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I just hope to have time to play through Forbidden West, Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima and Demon Souls, I just bought a PS5 and subbed on the Premium tier, and don't have all that time for gaming, I think I will buy some of those games in sales. Taking off first party titles sucks.

TVexperto

0% chance I will refresh PS Plus Extra sub. I've only played Stray and I've had it since day one.

It's not like it has terrible games just mainly really old ones that I've already played.

I couldn't see myself moving to a patient gamer style where I don't buy stuff when it's new. If you can it's probably amazing value.

Gamepass at least gets lots of AA PC stuff that I would end up buying anyway so remains good value for me ATM but if you have no PC or no interest in non AAA stuff then that is a bust too with the complete lack of output from MS.
same, i regret getting the highest tier, there is no way to downgrade, once my sub runs out this year i will get the cheapest tier just for the 3 monthly ps4/ps5 games and thats it

Anything to remind people they are throwing away their money renting all these games.
a very weird, negative way to view things
A cinema, rollercoaster, vacation trip etc ticket is also thrown away money? "Owning" dust collector boxes is imho not worth more than experiencing the actual game.
Same with Netflix or Spotify. You exactly pay for what should be known is in it for you.
As long as you are not dumb enough to think any of the games in the subscription are yours to keep forever, renting hundreds of games is most definitely more bang for the buck than anything gaming has offered in the 80's or 90's. Seems like the smartphone kids gen turned paying for anything into something dumb while anyone growing up in the earlier days of gaming does or should realise how great of a deal "throwing away money" for these services is.

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty shocking that first party games are being removed, simply no need for that.

Agree. I get why PlayStation first party games are not on the service day one, but once they are added they should remain there for good unless there is a specific reason such as licensing issues. I let my PS+ subscription lapse earlier this year with the mindset that Sony is going to have to really sell me on why I should resubscribe. So far they are going in the opposite direction.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Spider-man 2 isn't going to need much promotion. Sony wants more Spidey 1 sales. That's my guess anyway.

they could put the ps5 version on sale as a standalone for that I guess, at the moment you can only get it with miles? if am right

Kokoloko85

Spiderman is probably because they are gonna see another wave of sales when they announce Spiderman 2 release dates.
They actually sell games like Nintendo, so it makes sense.

Only one I wanted to try was Dreamfall and left alive. Kingdom Come I tried but the combat was so broken… how did the devs thinK the combat was a good idea? The rest of the game was decent. Unlike that piece of crap Hello Neighbour… jesus that game was so bad

Topher

Gold Member
they could put the ps5 version on sale as a standalone for that I guess, at the moment you can only get it with miles? if am right

I'm not sure. I remember it being something like that, but don't know if that is still the case.

Given the amount of games on the sub and games I have elsewhere, honestly not fussed about these going away. I'm sure someone here will be more than angry over it on my behalf. Thank you in advance.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'm not sure. I remember it being something like that, but don't know if that is still the case.

yeah I think its still that way. I have the original spidrman and the standard PS5 miles but haven't been able to play the upgrade PS5 Spiderman

SeraphJan

Game comes and go I suppose, that's the nature of sub service, you don't own anything, I have no problem with that

But what I do have problem with is that PS Store had pretty messed up licensing, for example if you had game catalog license of a game, when that particular game was on sales you can't buy it for some strange reasons, and when they have that game removed from the catalog, the sales are gone. I can't stop imaging if they did that on purpose

Last edited:

Fredrik

So just keep on buying your games 🤷‍♂️

I like subscriptions because I’m rarely certain enough that I’ll like a game and it’ll be worth the money, so I try on a sub just like I do with movies TV shows and music.

Anyhow, I need to try Shenmue 3 before it goes away.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I see a singular 1st party title being removed and the hyperbole has already started with people implying it’s multiple. I actually see them giving it away as an Essential title in the coming months.

Before the merger, first party games were put on and off PS Now as well. This is not the first instance, just the first instance after the re-branding.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This seems like a lot. Got me paranoid about horizon etc now.

This is going to turn into where they put games back on I'm 6 months like a big deal right? Maybe?

Kvally

Banned
I see a singular 1st party title being removed and the hyperbole has already started with people implying it’s multiple. I actually see them giving it away as an Essential title in the coming months.
Leaving next month in addition to Spider-Man that is first party:

• Bloodborne
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Days Gone
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us: Remastered
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

DaGwaphics

You really don't own your games anyway.
It's much better to spend less money playing those games, rather than spending a lot of money buying them.

It isn't so much better or worse it just comes down to how you play games.

For me, I'm one and done on almost every game I play, rarely going back to a campaign based game once I'm finished with it. For players like that, there is no need to "own" the game.

For games that have a loop that isn't campaign based (KSP, Crazy Taxi, AoE, Madden, etc.) I can see the advantage of owning those titles (though I just use EA play for Madden).

GHG

A cinema, rollercoaster, vacation trip etc ticket is also thrown away money? "Owning" dust collector boxes is imho not worth more than experiencing the actual game.
Same with Netflix or Spotify. You exactly pay for what should be known is in it for you.
As long as you are not dumb enough to think any of the games in the subscription are yours to keep forever, renting hundreds of games is most definitely more bang for the buck than anything gaming has offered in the 80's or 90's. Seems like the smartphone kids gen turned paying for anything into something dumb while anyone growing up in the earlier days of gaming does or should realise how great of a deal "throwing away money" for these services is.

Most games are big time commitments, you can only play one at any given time. Comparisons with other forms of media entertainment fall flat on their face and will continue to do so unless the delivery method for gaming changes and becomes more episodic in nature.

There's more money to be saved in being selective about what you purchase and waiting for sales to purchase said games instead of mindlessly jumping from hype train to hype train.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

So just keep on buying your games 🤷‍♂️

I like subscriptions because I’m rarely certain enough that I’ll like a game and it’ll be worth the money, so I try on a sub just like I do with movies TV shows and music.

Hey man, do what works for you. I wasn't giving any prescriptions, just my preference.

Anyhow, I need to try Shenmue 3 before it goes away.
Lmao!

This is what people were predicting when EA Access came out. Fast forward all this time later and AFAIK only one other publisher has their own service and no one really gives a shit about it or EA Access. Plus all the games are available for retail.

So you can still buy whatever you want, and others can subscribe if they feel like buying is a waste of money.

MOTM

Banned
I'm telling you, some people here talk like they're 55 years old and are just discovering the digital world. Literally 99% of people subbed to any media service (netflix, audible, spotify, gamepass etc etc etc) doesn't give a shit about not owning the media. Things like this isn't a "wake up call" or some stupid shit like that.

Roxkis_ii

This is what people were predicting when EA Access came out. Fast forward all this time later and AFAIK only one other publisher has their own service and no one really gives a shit about it or EA Access. Plus all the games are available for retail.

So you can still buy whatever you want, and others can subscribe if they feel like buying is a waste of money.
Ubisoft also has theirs, and I wouldn't be surprised if Activition had one in the works before Microsoft came knocking.

Thank you for giving me permission to buy games. If it's make you feel better, you also have my permission to contune your game sub for this month. We'll have to talk about next month though. 🤣

OuterLimits

This is true. Much of the stuff on Netflix now is their own movies and series(with mixed results).

However, stuff funded and created by Netflix always remains on the service of course. Sony is removing even older 1st party software from their service. I can't imagine sales for many of them would be high at this point so it seems a bit strange. Understandable that 3rd party stuff would rotate in and out of service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom