• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

32 Games Will Be Taken Off PS Plus Extra, Premium Next Month

feynoob

Banned
Most games are big time commitments, you can only play one at any given time. Comparisons with other forms of media entertainment fall flat on their face and will continue to do so unless the delivery method for gaming changes and becomes more episodic in nature.

There's more money to be saved in being selective about what you purchase and waiting for sales to purchase said games instead of mindlessly jumping from hype train to hype train.
Buying games is not saving money.
I spent alot of money on games that were on sale, and never played them since I bought them.
That was a waste of money.

For example, PS+ allows you to get 36+ games a year. That is more than what you can play. All it cost is 1 premium game a year. You have the chance to get 2-3 premium games from that list.

Games are worth your money, if you can play them. Ownership is a meaningless, if you don't have time for them.

Whether you get the game from a sub, buy them or get them for free, you will need to make time for them. Plus you are not required to play games day1. You can get a huge value if you wait for a dlc drop for full experience.

Aenima

Leaving next month in addition to Spider-Man that is first party:

• Bloodborne
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Days Gone
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us: Remastered
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Those are from the PS+ Collection available to PS5 owners only. And if you redeem them, you can keep downloading and playing them forever as long u have a sub. Nothing to do with the games in the PS+ Extra/ Premium catalog.

Last edited:

GHG

Buying games is not saving money.
I spent alot of money on games that were on sale, and never played them since I bought them.
That was a waste of money.

For example, PS+ allows you to get 36+ games a year. That is more than what you can play. All it cost is 1 premium game a year. You have the chance to get 2-3 premium games from that list.

Games are worth your money, if you can play them. Ownership is a meaningless, if you don't have time for them.

Whether you get the game from a sub, buy them or get them for free, you will need to make time for them. Plus you are not required to play games day1. You can get a huge value if you wait for a dlc drop for full experience.

It's like you purposefully ignored this part of my post:
There's more money to be saved in being selective about what you purchase and waiting for sales to purchase said games instead of mindlessly jumping from hype train to hype train.

If you end up wasting money because you're buying stuff you'll never or don't want to play that's not my problem. If that's the case then self control is the issue.

feynoob

Banned
It's like you purposefully ignored this part of my post:

If you end up wasting money because you're buying stuff you'll never or don't want to play that's not my problem. If that's the case then self control is the issue.
I didn't. B2P, subscription services, and free games can all coexist.
One aspect isn't better than the other one. They complement each other, and offers you a choice.
Its not a hype train, because people don't pay attention for game news most of the time. There are games that you miss due to budget money, time or missed out due to console exclusive.

As for the money waste, that is the nature of buying games. I bought a must play games, but forgot about them, because I was busy with my life.

JaksGhost

• Bloodborne
  • Days Gone
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • The Last Guardian
That’s the collection which is different and only available for PS5 owners. They are dissolving that but all of those games are already apart of the PS Plus service except for Crash and that’s because it’s not first party anymore. Just last month they added the Legacy of Thieves collection to the service so now both the PS4 and PS5 versions are available to subscribers.

Last edited:

GHG

As for the money waste, that is the nature of buying games. I bought a must play games, but forgot about them, because I was busy with my life.

Then don't buy them until the point at which you'll have time to play them. Problem solved.

There are games that you miss due to budget money, time or missed out due to console exclusive.

Nobody can play everything.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
It Is solely MY fault for not doing a better research online but I (initially) thought that Sony 1st party don't leave the service...

I got PS plus extra as soon as I bought my PS5 'bout 2 months ago and I think I made a yuuuuuge mistake, sure, I "only" spent 80 Eurodollars for a 12month sub and I wanted to try/play Demon's souls , Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7Ri, Horizon FW etc but...fuck me, I don't have that much free time anymore and I'll be lucky if I even manage to finish 2 games out of that list for crying out loud.
Maybe I should have outright just bought a couple of 'em and try to finish them without all the time pressure but, I was greedy.
I do agree with other users though that even you buy games nowadays (i.e: you actually own them) there's not much value in that since most games, once you finish them you never go back to them/replay them so...

Anyway, I also downloaded Shenmue 3 since I always wanted to give it a spin but, from what I'm reading it's leaving the service which sucks - not that I'd have found the time to play/finish it but...yeah 😁

Last edited:
Ubisoft also has theirs, and I wouldn't be surprised if Activition had one in the works before Microsoft came knocking.

Thank you for giving me permission to buy games. If it's make you feel better, you also have my permission to contune your game sub for this month. We'll have to talk about next month though. 🤣

Yes exactly, Ubi and EA. That’s it. When EA started theirs, we saw the same doomsday forecasting you’re doing in this thread. By now, every publisher was supposed to have their own subscription, and games were supposed to be locked to those services. Reality… nothing has changed.

No one was giving you permission to do anything, drama queen.

ToadMan

Most games are big time commitments, you can only play one at any given time. Comparisons with other forms of media entertainment fall flat on their face and will continue to do so unless the delivery method for gaming changes and becomes more episodic in nature.

This is a big difference with gaming vs other forms of media. Time.

And the end game will not be paying subs by the month, but by the time period played - hours, minutes, seconds, whatever.

That is the wet dream of publishers. They’ll get there - things like Gamepass are just a stepping stone to that future.

Reactions: GHG

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes exactly, Ubi and EA. That’s it. When EA started theirs, we saw the same doomsday forecasting you’re doing in this thread. By now, every publisher was supposed to have their own subscription, and games were supposed to be locked to those services. Reality… nothing has changed.

No one was giving you permission to do anything, drama queen.
Indeed. About the only other one big enough to maybe attempt a sub of their own was Activ- ..... nevermind.

GHG

This is a big difference with gaming vs other forms of media. Time.

And the end game will not be paying subs by the month, but by the time period played - hours, minutes, seconds, whatever.

That is the wet dream of publishers. They’ll get there - things like Gamepass are just a stepping stone to that future.

Yep, I've mentioned before that their intention will be to transition it towards being a service that is pay per hour, that will especially become true if cloud gaming becomes the primary method of consumption. At that point they won't even give you the option to own anything.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yep, I've mentioned before that their intention will be to transition it towards being a service that is pay per hour, that will especially become true if cloud gaming becomes the primary method of consumption. At that point they won't even give you the option to own anything.
Arcades are coming back!?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
flights ua GIF

ByWatterson

I think these gaming subs are going to end up just like Netflix. Publishers will remove their games from the big subs to make their own. Then we will have a million little subs instead of a few big ones.

Maybe I'm old school, but I would rather just buy my games instead of worrying if a game I'm invested in will be available to me next month.

I think Sony knows that - and I think Sony agrees with you. PlayStation Plus tiers are a competitive step to neutralize Microsoft's one advantage, rather than a future for the business. I was skeptical of Sony's approach about a year ago....but they clearly know what they're doing.

Here's a real question: ABK deal is meant to bolster Gamepass, right? But I'd say at least half of COD users buy one game a year - COD. Paying $180 per year (need Gold/Ultimate for online play) doesn't make any sense for that COD user when they're already mostly on PlayStation and can just pay for the title plus PS+ Essential, which is a much better service than Live Gold.

Like.....will the ABK deal actually move that many subscriptions for Microsoft?

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
I think Sony knows that - and I think Sony agrees with you. PlayStation Plus tiers are a competitive step to neutralize Microsoft's one advantage, rather than a future for the business. I was skeptical of Sony's approach about a year ago....but they clearly know what they're doing.

Here's a real question: ABK deal is meant to bolster Gamepass, right? But I'd say at least half of COD users buy one game a year - COD. Paying $180 per year (need Gold/Ultimate for online play) doesn't make any sense for that COD user when they're already mostly on PlayStation and can just pay for the title plus PS+ Essential, which is a much better service than Live Gold.

Like.....will the ABK deal actually move that many subscriptions for Microsoft?
#1 goal of ABK is Candy Crush and mobile entry.

A.Romero

I think Spider-man situation is related to the use of Marvel's license. It's a first party game technically but if I remember correctly it was comissioned by Marvel... I guess that's why it reads "Marvel's" in the title.

I think these gaming subs are going to end up just like Netflix. Publishers will remove their games from the big subs to make their own. Then we will have a million little subs instead of a few big ones.

Maybe I'm old school, but I would rather just buy my games instead of worrying if a game I'm invested in will be available to me next month.
I agree. However, I’m not against this especially if the game stays up for a year plus. Like you said. I see this as an online blockbuster for games. You can rent it as many times as you want. But if you want to keep it. You outright purchase it. Im truly hoping we don’t get a million little subs also.

Kvally

Banned
Sure, perhaps.

But that won't help Xbox much, as a platform. Might help Microsoft as a company, but the all-subscription future doesn't seem especially aided by Candy Crush.
Phil stated that Game Pass is 10-15% of their revenue going forward, a minority stake in the revenue. Similar to Bethesda, I suspect their goal is to have new exclusive IPs come out from ABK to encourage a shift to Xbox and PC. Existing IPs including COD to print money, and King to bring in billions more of revenue. New IPs should help Xbox get new buyers, so long as the new IPs are appealing to the masses.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
A complete waste of money, mine ran out a week ago and I ain't renewing it.
It only recently got decent with some good PSX Classics being added the yearly subscription ended, and I ain't tempted to renew just to continue playing them, rather just buy them if they had the fucking option.
But it ain't worth it for what's on offer.
The service is good for Casuals with no games, for a actual gamer?
You already own everything worth playing anyway.

Sony removing 1st party games is Nintendo-tier BS.
It’s only 1 and they do it only because they’re gonna offer it as an upgrade about buying just part 2. Like a package deal. And if the game is on the service no one will shell out the extra money.

I agree it’s not nice though but I see why they do it. It will be back later with part 2, maybe in a year after release or something.

Fbh

Eh, other than Spiderman which I agree is weird (since it's first party) most of the other stuff isn't that relevant. And they are giving you a month of notice which should be enough time to finish any of these games if you already started it

Anything to remind people they are throwing away their money renting all these games.

As someone who usually doesn't replay most games I definitely feel like the year of Ps+ extra I got saved me money.
Extra was an additional $40 for a year and I got to play Ghost of Tsushima, Returnal, Demon Souls Remake, Guardians of the Galaxy, Miles Morales, FF7R DLC, Ghostwire, Deathloop, The Quarry. All games which interested me and which I'd have picked up on sale anyway and easily spent more than $40 on.

What feels like throwing away money these days is paying $70 to play games at their worst/buggiest.

Last edited:

GHG

What feels like throwing away money these days is paying $70 to play games at their worst/buggiest.

This I absolutely agree with which is why I now only tend to get 2-3 games a year day one at full price. It's rarely worth it anymore.

Reactions: Fbh

I was very pro subscription, but in the end I think it mostly suits hardcore gamers.
I play games in weird sessions. Sometimes I stop playing one for a year and when I return to it it grabs me again and I often play it to completion.

Now if halfway that game is suddenly removed from the subscription, then that’s a serious spanner in the works. Sure I could buy that game if I really want to play it, but then the subscription feels more like a glorified demo disc of old.

So I think I rather buy games again as well, so I can safely abandon them when I wish :)

nial

Gold Member
You really don't own your games anyway.
That's just not true?

• Bloodborne
  • Days Gone
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • The Last Guardian
Only Ratchet and Crash are leaving, the rest are still on PS Plus Extra.

• Bloodborne
  • Days Gone
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • The Last Guardian
That sucks, but luckily enough I own all those except Crash.

feynoob

Banned
Dumb argument not worth responding to.
Just because it's dumb, doesn't mean it's not true.
I had couple of discs that become useless after got scratches.

Spiderman 2 Xbox is semi unplayable for me due to that.

Can't play nhl2005 too.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It's petty of Sony to remove their own 1st party software.

Not only that but it brings a question on why the f would people keep subscribing in constant basis vs once in a while for particular game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It’s only 1 and they do it only because they’re gonna offer it as an upgrade about buying just part 2. Like a package deal. And if the game is on the service no one will shell out the extra money.

I agree it’s not nice though but I see why they do it. It will be back later with part 2, maybe in a year after release or something.
Yea, I understand why they would do it too but still doesn't sit well with me. Also, it's a total hot take and could 100% be a licensing thing w/ Disney (Marvel).

I'm also a Chad Warden-tier Sony bro but still, BS moves are BS moves. Regardless, Sony Always Wins. Lol.

feynoob

Banned
Old DVD's and CD's sure. If you scratch a BD to the point of unplayable, then WTF were you doing with it? That coating is much, much harder in comparison.
Kids.
I have a lot of siblings that play on my console, because of that I am more of digital.

the only thing that is suffering now is the controller's.

Top Bottom