• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 Community Manager asks if game devs should get vacations, chaos ensues

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Tweet seems to have been deleted. But I’m guessing it was unyshek. Dude is full on bitch tier.
LOL. What a junk tweet that was during Christmas holidays.

Who knows. Maybe the poll was meant for himself, but he disguised it as a development team topic. Someone at 343 told him to work yesterday even though it was a holiday since Christmas was on the weekend.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Everyone in a developed society should have annual leave.

I have to have mine approved by my manager, who can refuse. But they have to allow me to have the full 28 days a year.

In 343s case, they deserve leave. The fans also deserve a quality product which they haven’t delivered. So if MS are saying ‘no 2 week vacations whilst we straighten shit out’ - deal with it.

VAVA Mk2

Everyone in a developed society should have annual leave.

I have to have mine approved by my manager, who can refuse. But they have to allow me to have the full 28 days a year.

In 343s case, they deserve leave. The fans also deserve a quality product which they haven’t delivered. So if MS are saying ‘no 2 week vacations whilst we straighten shit out’ - deal with it.
To be fair, 343i had vacation from about November 2015 to about April 2020 so.....

recursive

America normalising video game crunch and no holiday pay, no wonder you guys are the laughing stock. Meanwhile I'm here enjoying 2 weeks paid leave over Christmas break. Mad yikes bro lmao.
You shouldn't generalize an entire country because of what a shitty, underperforming company does. I am sitting here with 2 weeks paid leave over christmas and another 400 hours of vacation to use at my leisure.

Codes 208

To be fair, 343i had vacation from about November 2015 to about April 2020 so.....
What i hate from this is that the announcement trailer from 2018 and the cutscene trailer from 2019 were just assets of the engine running on unreal being done by a third party (hence why the reveal trailer looked like shit comparatively)

Im so glad the assclowns in charge are gone, but halo infinite’s (and 343 as a whole)’s reputation has been severely smeared because of that (and the year of lackluster content from launch to now definitely didnt help)

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
LOL. What a junk tweet that was during Christmas holidays.

Who knows. Maybe the poll was meant for himself, but he disguised it as a development team topic. Someone at 343 told him to work yesterday even though it was a holiday since Christmas was on the weekend.
Oh noes he's "working" on twitter.
You shouldn't generalize an entire country because of what a shitty, underperforming company does. I am sitting here with 2 weeks paid leave over christmas and another 400 hours of vacation to use at my leisure.
Are you hiring kind sir?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Really weird tweet. Sounds like some shit is going down over there

Gotta love twitter.

Birds Arms GIF
americas got talent holiday spectacular nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

diffusionx

Gold Member
343 should instead ask if it is acceptable for game devs to ship a game a year late and have it be a total hunk of shit, then after that you spend another year not delivering the updates and content you said you would.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

A couple of people here it seems. The "I've had to work on Christmas before therefore no one deserves vacation" commentary is jarring and disappointing.

I've worked on holidays before too, but I'm not against anyone having the holidays off.

For the concerns about "you signed up for it, you should know", that's why there is a (on call) tag with yes. The tweet likely doesn't mean to take a fully signed off vacation day, if it is something urgent that requires their attention, they will be available to handle it. We've all worked days like that.

It's really not a controversial thing at all to agree with the author of the tweet.

Agreed. The only time I would disagree somewhat is if a game is released right before Christmas and has major issues. Which is a good argument for AAA games to never release in December really.

But hey, if you love vacation days, my advice is always get a Government job either at the state or federal level. The pay may often be slightly less, but the insane amount of vacation/sick days, great health insurance coverage, and the ability to be completely incompetent at the job with very low risk of being fired easily makes up for that pay difference.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's amazing that you never hear such drama coming out of the studio responsible for Gears of War series, but somehow Halo is constantly neck-deep in bullshit and the new games suck.

Shifty1897

Being a game dev is probably the worst job I could ever imagine. You have to be pretty smart just to get the game created and published, then once you do put it out, people hate you, harass you, call you lazy and send you death threats, and you do it all for about half (or less!) of what you would be making if you were writing shitty business software.

I want to make a game one day, once I'm financially stable enough to do it, but holy shit if I did I would do it under a pseudonym and never let anyone know it was me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Being a game dev is probably the worst job I could ever imagine. You have to be pretty smart just to get the game created and published, then once you do put it out, people hate you, harass you, call you lazy and send you death threats, and you do it all for about half (or less!) of what you would be making if you were writing shitty business software.

I want to make a game one day, once I'm financially stable enough to do it, but holy shit if I did I would do it under a pseudonym and never let anyone know it was me.
No doubt it's not as fun and glamourous as it seems.

Every gamer dreams about making that awesome game. Or take an existing game and think in your head how much better it could be if you're in charge, snap your finger, and everything is 10x better. All done by yourself.

I'm no programmer, but in real life it's 10x harder and probably 10x more boring trudging through making a game across 3-4 years.

Last edited:

If you can't take the heat then don't step in the kitchen

Top Bottom