• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 on What You need to know about Halo Infinite Campaign - Game Informer

Reallink

Dumb post

No one knows actual budget of the game and there's no such thing unlimited resources, there are assigned budgets for everygame. Development issues happen in lot ofbig AAA game, so no need to constantly shit on 343.

In the end we only care about good ass Halo game

True, but one can make common sense deductions. 500-750 internal employees with an average cost per head of probably $125,000+ (salary + benefits + employer taxes/insurances) x 6 years = several hundred million dollars.

Easily the best MP shooter of the big three, plus a campaign getting stellar previews. That’s not what ‘incompetence’ means in any multiverse.

if you think large budget + time equals guaranteed success, you haven’t been paying attention to gaming for the past decade. Or you somehow think ME: Andromeda and Anthem were excellent games.

That's exactly what I mean, those games were trash cause EA had wasted as much time and money as they were willing to. They forced the developers to wrap up what they had to cut their losses, which were incomplete buggy messes.

Last edited:
True, but one can make common sense deductions. 500-750 internal employees with an average cost per head of probably $125,000+ (salary + benefits + employer taxes/insurances) x 6 years = several hundred million dollars.

That's exactly what I mean, those games were trash cause EA had wasted as much time and money as they were willing to. They forced the developers to wrap up what they had to cut their losses, which were incomplete buggy messes.
Lol common sense, your post is complete nonsense. Give me actual figures with source. Stop throwing random numbers. You just trying to start dumb console wars by bashing the game when it gets getting universal praise at the moment.

No, but (and not to beat a dead horse again, again,) the variety of biomes in the original Slipspace Engine 2018 teaser seemed really compelling, with a wide range of settings beyond the traditional Halo green valleys, and some other types of creatures inheriting the Halo besides things trying to kill you with guns. (Maybe those deer and rhinos would still be trying to kill you, just not with bullets...) Plus, stalking through the world in a midnight-black, foggy forest seemed really cool. The core gameplay is still more important than the background, and ultimately if the fortress raids and the enemy AI and area design are all good then that's mostly what matters, but it would make me really happy to see some more biome variety make a surprising appearance in the final game.

I mean, Halo games can always use another great beach...

ThatcEngine tech demo. They never said thats how game will look like.

I can't wait to see some of the other environments. Maybe we won't get to see any before release. I hope there is less of the vacant, theater lit indoor arena areas then were seeing in the prerelease footage. So boring and sterile. Probably more of a technical limitation in the earlier games rather then artistically intentional.

oldergamer

Lol at those numbers you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Why try?

Stuart360

No, but (and not to beat a dead horse again, again,) the variety of biomes in the original Slipspace Engine 2018 teaser seemed really compelling, with a wide range of settings beyond the traditional Halo green valleys, and some other types of creatures inheriting the Halo besides things trying to kill you with guns. (Maybe those deer and rhinos would still be trying to kill you, just not with bullets...) Plus, stalking through the world in a midnight-black, foggy forest seemed really cool. The core gameplay is still more important than the background, and ultimately if the fortress raids and the enemy AI and area design are all good then that's mostly what matters, but it would make me really happy to see some more biome variety make a surprising appearance in the final game.

I mean, Halo games can always use another great beach...
I think its also worth mentioning that some of the preview vids mentioned that they could only show footage from the first 2 levels, so i'm not sure if there are numerous levels per biome, or mini open world, but 343 already confirmed numerous biomes long ago.

Stuart360

You honestly think low level developers are earning anywhere close to 125k per year?, unless i misread you and you mean 125k over 6 years.

Stuart360

Man these early celebrations are going to look really funny when the new Warzone map drops next month lol.
Is Halo's gameplay going to suddenly change when the new Warzone map releases or somehting?. Its just a new map, its still the same Warzone..
Besides Warzone is a BR, Halo should be compared to Vanguard, not Warzone.

Reallink

Lol common sense, your post is complete nonsense. Give me actual figures with source. Stop throwing random numbers. You just trying to start dumb console wars by bashing the game when it gets getting universal praise at the moment.

Lol at those numbers you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Why try?

You honestly think low level developers are earning anywhere close to 125k per year?, unless i misread you and you mean 125k over 6 years.

There is nothing controversial or nonsensical about that statement. The actual cost per employee at a company like MS is going to be at least 40% on top of the salary, which would include their family's healthcare (likely with vision, dental, and psychiatric), paternity leave, retirement matching, stock options, on top of all the taxes and operational insurances employers have to pay on employees (FICA, FUTA, State, Unemployment, Workers Comp, Etc...). So yes, even the lowest level employees there are costing MS $100k/year, and most of the actual developers are pushing or well exceeding $125K. These are matters of fact, not console wars bashing. 343 is massive, the game has been in development forever, and it has cost MS a literal fortune. I need not be a soothsayer to pull such conclusions out of my ass.

Last edited:
Halo 2/Reach/4 have some of the best single player story telling I have seen. I don't get where people get the idea that Halo's campaign is only serviceable and people only care about the multiplayer, theres a very big portion of the fanbase that only care about the campaign and lore(like in e3 2021 trailer in IGN's channel there were some people confused about why "a game where you just shoot aliens" needs such emotional moments). There are youtube channels like Halo Canon and Installation00 that completely focus on the Halo lore, of the examples you mentioned the Witcher is the only series that has some sort of lore community. Single Player is a big part of Halo and it can't just be "serviceable" like Halo 5. Heck many of the plot points in Rogue One were inspired by Halo Reach. Halo Infinite has to live up to the standards of its predecessors, it can't just be a serviceable game about "shooting aliens" that some people think it is.
Not sure I agree with the story telling in Reach, it was the one thing I was counting on and it came nowhere near close to the book, which was amazing.

I really really like the story in Halo 4 and 5 and I’m looking forward to where they go with Infinite.

Stuart360

The actual cost per employee at a company like MS is going at least 40% on top of the salary, which would include their family's healthcare (likely with vision, dental, and psychiatric), paternity leave, retirement matching, on top of all the taxes and operational insurances employers have to pay on employees (FICA, FUTA, State, Unemployment, Workers Comp, Etc...). So yes, even the lowest level employees there are costing MS over $100k/year, and most of the actual developers are pushing or well exceeding $125K.
Yeah i dont know about any of that to be honest. I have seen devs say they earning 20-30k ,some less. I mean even adding this 40% on top, i doubt the low level devs will be costing MS anywhere close to 100-120k a year, and the low level devs will be like 90+% of those devs.

Edit. Just found this with a quick Google search. Its UK based, and i dont know if the US pays more or less than the UK for game developers but its just a guidline.

• Typical starting salaries are around £19,000 to £25,000.
  • Once you have a few years' experience, you may earn a salary of £35,000 to £50,000.
  • One you're in a senior position, such as team leader or technical director, your salary can range from £55,000 to in excess of £75,000.

Thats in pounds but you're probably talking $20-30k for low level devs, with a few longer term devs on $40-60k, and a very small amount in the $70-100k range.

Plus would salaries even be taken into account with the budget for this game?, i mean with 343 being an internal studio.

Last edited:

Reallink

Yeah i dont know about any of that to be honest. I have seen devs say they earning 20-30k ,some less. I mean even adding this 40% on top, i doubt the low level devs will be costing MS anywhere close to 100-120k a year, and the low level devs will be like 90+% of those devs.

I can assure you no one at 343 earns anywhere close to 20-30K/yr, that's less than teenage McDonalds workers earn in the US (literally, not hyperbole). Full time developers would start (as in no experience 23yo's straight out of college) at 70-80K in a place like 343.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I can assure you no one at 343 earns anywhere close to 20-30K/yr, that's less than teenage McDonalds workers earn in the US (literally, not hyperbole). Full time developers would start (as in no experience straight out of college) at 70-80K in a place like 343.
So you dont actually know then, you're speculating.

Well it looks like an educated guess to be fair, taking into account your McD's analogy. It seem salares in the US are way higher than in the UK :messenger_astonished:

Reallink

So you dont actually know then, you're speculating.

Well it looks like an educated guess to be fair, taking into account your McD's analogy. It seem salares in the US are way higher than in the UK :messenger_astonished:

20-30K is widely considered borderline poverty in even the poorest/cheapest regions of the US (for a single person). It's full blown poverty for a family anywhere. Somewhere like Redmond WA, it would mean homelessness, shitty domiciles are well over $1 million dollars there.

Last edited:

CamHostage

ThatcEngine tech demo. They never said thats how game will look like.

The official Halo channel and official Xbox channel literally call it "Halo Infinite - E3 2018 - Announcement Trailer", and use the following description of the content:

The Master Chief returns in Halo Infinite – the next chapter of the legendary franchise. Developed by 343 Industries and created with our new Slipspace Engine, Halo Infinite was revealed at the Xbox E3 2018 Briefing with a thrilling engine demo that provides a glimpse into the future of the Halo franchise, leading it into new and unexpected directions.

Some of that text may have been edited since 2018, I'm not sure but let's not pretend that this in-engine teaser of the game wasn't meant to be of the game or the engine.

So tired of hearing this because it's so not even true lol. What did you see that isn't in the campaign? The end forerunner location is in the game, the primary biome shown in that entire 2018 teaser is what we've seen from campaign. Even the area where the rhino and deer were is the EXACT same biome. You saw a cave wall, you saw some tunnel looking thing, that's all in the campaign. The only thing in the teaser that has yet to be seen in the campaign is a less than 4 second snippet of a desert looking area?
Everybody who says this isn't even being remotely intellectually honest.

I was kidding about the deer and rhinos, but...

If they used the same area back then to make what felt like different biomes, fine... they felt different in time of day and atmosphere and fauna variation, and that feeling so far is missing from Campaign previews. It gave the impression that you would go through a world with snowy mountaincaps, foggy creeks, arid deserts, craggy oceanside bluffs (where there seems to be some type of lanternfish creature? or underwater vehicle?), and... HAM radios in tents. (Not sure if that made the final game?) If that's a mistaken over-assumption, that this concept of variety was compressed geographically or in time so that it's really not a different biome but you will experiences differences in the sense of an area that makes them distinctive in time, that's a success. Right now, I'm not getting a feel yet of how areas will have distinctive senses of place, and that IMO would make it tough to connect with its open-world exploration, albeit so far its play mechanics are compelling and maybe that'll just sustain it.

I'm not even sure why you're arguing against this, even? Sure, defend & support what is there in the actual game versus what people were imagining was going to be there three years ago, okay... but there's no Halo game that looks like one single "Halo-lookin' " map. Levels look distinctive across even Halo 1, and although it's making me nervous not seeing it in Campaign previews, I'm sure there's greater variety across the full Zeta Halo than just "meadowy Halo canyon". Whether or not it's got variety that meets what I saw (or saw in my mind, I guess you're saying, in 2018 with the teaser,) that's a different thing, but there's bound to be some diversity in the landscape. (Multiplayer already has maps made of greater variety of landscapes, so again, why are we arguing about this?) I'm not expecting some crossing of Halo and Horizon here... but I would like to see a nice beach.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Somebody should create a new thread with all the dunkey Halo recap videos before Infinite launch. Tidy it up or is Halo OT up ?

Helghan

There is nothing controversial or nonsensical about that statement. The actual cost per employee at a company like MS is going to be at least 40% on top of the salary, which would include their family's healthcare (likely with vision, dental, and psychiatric), paternity leave, retirement matching, stock options, on top of all the taxes and operational insurances employers have to pay on employees (FICA, FUTA, State, Unemployment, Workers Comp, Etc...). So yes, even the lowest level employees there are costing MS $100k/year, and most of the actual developers are pushing or well exceeding $125K. These are matters of fact, not console wars bashing. 343 is massive, the game has been in development forever, and it has cost MS a literal fortune. I need not be a soothsayer to pull such conclusions out of my ass.
I think there's a difference between a game developer and a software engineer at Microsoft. Software Engineers get paid FAANG salaries, and those are indeed pretty high. Game developers get industry standard wages, and that's not even close to what software engineers earn.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I can't remember a single one and I finished it recently. Yet I remember the invisible Elites on the silent cartographer from 20 years ago.
The only boss fight I remember from Halo 5 is The Warden and you fight him several times lol

Ozriel

M$FT
Coop is huge, and 6 month delay is no joke. Oh and forge is in day 1?

Any big development studio can argue that they need time from a crunch though. This game has been in development for a long time and delayed on top of that.

This thread is about campaign. Since when was Forge a campaign feature?

They’ve been working on this game for around 5 years, including building the engine. this also includes COVID impact. It’s not an outrageously long period of time for an AAA development.

Romulus

This thread is about campaign. Since when was Forge a campaign feature?

They’ve been working on this game for around 5 years, including building the engine. this also includes COVID impact. It’s not an outrageously long period of time for an AAA development.

5 years is a very long time when you're missing a stable of the series in coop.

I said it the game was missing key features considering how long it's been in development. That was a seperate thought to campaign.

So basically they can do no wrong. Lol

If you want to be a troll about it, that's how you can view what I said, but a reasonable person would simply understand that it's better that a team takes the time to get important features right rather than ship something broken as many other studios are. Did people not learn a damn thing from Cyberpunk 2077? Did they learn nothing from Battlefield 2042's launch so far. They haven't been removed, they're still coming, and they're coming in more ambitious form than what was ever originally expected, particularly forge.

Romulus

If you want to be a troll about it, that's how you can view what I said, but a reasonable person would simply understand that it's better that a team takes the time to get important features right rather than ship something broken as many other studios are. Did people not learn a damn thing from Cyberpunk 2077? Did they learn nothing from Battlefield 2042's launch so far. They haven't been removed, they're still coming, and they're coming in more ambitious form than what was ever originally expected, particularly forge.

That's a knee jerk reaction calling someone a troll. Theres no rule I need to make excuses for every fumble. A reasonable person can see this game has had serious management issues. It's not just about taking their time, they had to go back to drawing board after showing off that initial reveal for 8 minutes. It looked awful and for any big studio to be proud of that was very telling.

Last edited:
That's a knee jerk reaction calling someone a troll. Theres no rule I need to make excuses for every fumble. A reasonable person can see this game has had serious management issues. It's not just about taking their time, they had to go back to drawing board after showing off that initial reveal for 8 minutes. It looked awful and for any big studio to be proud of that was very telling.

You don't go back to the drawing board and have a game this polished on the Multiplayer and Campaign side in just one year. Clearly an amazing game was already there, but they clearly needed more time on the graphics/polish side of things.

Who says they were proud of that showing? They clearly said they weren't, but what other choice did they have at the time? Something had to be shown at that time.

edit: Oh, apologies on the troll statement. I was a little more snappy this morning because I learned some asshole client due to some last minute construction wants me to suddenly relocate a set of servers for them, which is pissing me off. Not only will I charge them an arm and a leg for this bs timing, I'm immediately dropping their ass as a client once done.

Last edited:

Romulus

You don't go back to the drawing board and have a game this polished on the Multiplayer and Campaign side in just one year. Clearly an amazing game was already there, but they clearly needed more time on the graphics/polish side of things.

Who says they were proud of that showing? They clearly said they weren't, but what other choice did they have at the time? Something had to be shown at that time.

Multiplayer? I'm not talking about that. I'm sure they had a good foundation 2+ years ago.

The campaign was always amazing. Youre already calling it amazing without playing it.
Lol but to show an 8 minute demonstration is pretty confident. They've could have easily shown half that or less of the crappy parts. They even panned the camera slowly at those untextured hexagon forge pillars like it's some marvel. I don't believe they had any idea how bad it looked, regardless of what they said.
And to be that out of touch on such a basic level makes one curious about everything else in campaign.

Last edited:
If people are finding the open world repetitive after only 4 hrs, I would say that is concerning. Hopefully this is not the only biome.

People are throwing a fit in the comments section because they are saying (like skillup and Patrick klepnek) that the open world/areas feel empty and lifeless. All 3 people are saying the combat is fun and the world is dull, kinda of reminds me of Metal gear V, even though the latter had some interesting random events in the open world.

I think a lot of people are gonna be irrationally angry that reviews aren’t similar to Forza Horizon, because this is gonna get docked major points for having one singular Biome with nothing but outpost and ubi style map markers on it.

Such nonsensical mental gymnastics to prove basically nothing. So from now on this is how we calculate the budget of a game? Like seriously?

Not a single person reacted to your post, this proves most just ignoring what you saying lol

The official Halo channel and official Xbox channel literally call it "Halo Infinite - E3 2018 - Announcement Trailer", and use the following description of the content:

The Master Chief returns in Halo Infinite – the next chapter of the legendary franchise. Developed by 343 Industries and created with our new Slipspace Engine, Halo Infinite was revealed at the Xbox E3 2018 Briefing with a thrilling engine demo that provides a glimpse into the future of the Halo franchise, leading it into new and unexpected directions.

Some of that text may have been edited since 2018, I'm not sure but let's not pretend that this in-engine teaser of the game wasn't meant to be of the game or the engine.

I was kidding about the deer and rhinos, but...

If they used the same area back then to make what felt like different biomes, fine... they felt different in time of day and atmosphere and fauna variation, and that feeling so far is missing from Campaign previews. It gave the impression that you would go through a world with snowy mountaincaps, foggy creeks, arid deserts, craggy oceanside bluffs (where there seems to be some type of lanternfish creature? or underwater vehicle?), and... HAM radios in tents. (Not sure if that made the final game?) If that's a mistaken over-assumption, that this concept of variety was compressed geographically or in time so that it's really not a different biome but you will experiences differences in the sense of an area that makes them distinctive in time, that's a success. Right now, I'm not getting a feel yet of how areas will have distinctive senses of place, and that IMO would make it tough to connect with its open-world exploration, albeit so far its play mechanics are compelling and maybe that'll just sustain it.

I'm not even sure why you're arguing against this, even? Sure, defend & support what is there in the actual game versus what people were imagining was going to be there three years ago, okay... but there's no Halo game that looks like one single "Halo-lookin' " map. Levels look distinctive across even Halo 1, and although it's making me nervous not seeing it in Campaign previews, I'm sure there's greater variety across the full Zeta Halo than just "meadowy Halo canyon". Whether or not it's got variety that meets what I saw (or saw in my mind, I guess you're saying, in 2018 with the teaser,) that's a different thing, but there's bound to be some diversity in the landscape. (Multiplayer already has maps made of greater variety of landscapes, so again, why are we arguing about this?) I'm not expecting some crossing of Halo and Horizon here... but I would like to see a nice beach.
That engine trailer wasn't even made by 343, some other studio made it for promotional purpose. Game had development issues but they somehow managed to ship a polished product which people are quite enjoying now. Its not blowing people away in graphics but still people have good time and that what matters.

Plus Its cross gen, so full potential you will not see till you see nextgen only game

oldergamer

Dude stop. You don't have a clue how much employees would cost. You know how I know this, I've had to deal with this exact budgeting before. No the lowest level employees are not costing 100k per year. Like I said, you don't know what you are talking about.

You are conveniently forgetting how many projects they actually have going at one time ( The rumor they were working on a second game is likely true), and other initiatives they are involved with. You don't know how many people worked on Halo infinite.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

Is Halo's gameplay going to suddenly change when the new Warzone map releases or somehting?. Its just a new map, its still the same Warzone..
Besides Warzone is a BR, Halo should be compared to Vanguard, not Warzone.

People have been mad at Warzone for two things: lack of anti-cheat and new content.

Both of those are getting addressed early next month... with the Vanguard integration.

Reallink

I think there's a difference between a game developer and a software engineer at Microsoft. Software Engineers get paid FAANG salaries, and those are indeed pretty high. Game developers get industry standard wages, and that's not even close to what software engineers earn.
A FAANG engineer's raw salary would well exceed $100k, which would make the average cost to the employer 150K+, which you'll note is not the numbers I was estimating at 343. A game developer in Redmond WA is absolutely not earning less than $80K though, it's like a top 5 most expensive city in the country. They have hundreds of employees working on site in Redmond.

Such nonsensical mental gymnastics to prove basically nothing. So from now on this is how we calculate the budget of a game? Like seriously?

Not a single person reacted to your post, this proves most just ignoring what you saying lol

This is exactly how a game's budget is calculated, and you still have significant expenses to add on top of that. For example, there will likely be 15 minutes of Chinese and Korean asset farm outsourcing studio's in Infinite's credits, as well as several dozen's of millions in marketing.

Dude stop. You don't have a clue how much employees would cost. You know how I know this, I've had to deal with this exact budgeting before. No the lowest level employees are not costing 100k per year. Like I said, you don't know what you are talking about.

You are conveniently forgetting how many projects they actually have going at one time ( The rumor they were working on a second game is likely true), and other initiatives they are involved with. You don't know how many people worked on Halo infinite.

Even if we assume an average of 400 employees at an IMO underestimated cost of $100K/head (again that is not a $100K salary, but also the overhead cost to MS), you're looking at a $240,000,000 budget in raw onsite development alone. That does not include any outsourcing or marketing. Why are you guys even arguing this, how much do you expect MS's premier AAA franchise, in development for over 6 years, has cost? $60 million? $100 million?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
People are throwing a fit in the comments section because they are saying (like skillup and Patrick klepnek) that the open world/areas feel empty and lifeless. All 3 people are saying the combat is fun and the world is dull, kinda of reminds me of Metal gear V, even though the latter had some interesting random events in the open world.

I think a lot of people are gonna be irrationally angry that reviews aren’t similar to Forza Horizon, because this is gonna get docked major points for having one singular Biome with nothing but outpost and ubi style map markers on it.

I love how you’ve laser focused on the handful of outlier previews that aren’t extremely positive. Meanwhile the ones that are very enthusiastic about the open world are studiously ignored.

imagine citing random YouTube comments to buttress your arguments.

I love how you’ve laser focused on the handful of outlier previews that aren’t extremely positive. Meanwhile the ones that are very enthusiastic about the open world are studiously ignored.

imagine citing random YouTube comments to buttress your arguments.

Or maybe you’re just selective in the reviews and the things they say that support your world view? If someone doesn’t agree they are outliers or it doesn’t matter

But the final reviews will tell a different story whether you like it or not. I remember this same thing happening with cyberpunk with MOST reviewers saying how incredible the game was and it even originally landed at like a 93 on metacritic. The one gamespot critic that gave it a 7 got torn apart and what ended up happening in the end? She was right.

Then every reviewer tried to about face and explain away the hype they were giving the game for months. A lot of these journalist are scared to death of the fans of these games.

I’m also seeing a lot of people that are connected to microsoft singing it praises. People like Jez, Tom Warren, Grubb, and a few others. Like i said, we’ll see what happens when people who aren’t under a microscope get to play through the entire campaign and review it

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Or maybe you’re just selective in the reviews and the things they say that support your world view? If someone doesn’t agree they are outliers or it doesn’t matter

But the final reviews will tell a different story whether you like it or not. I remember this same thing happening with cyberpunk with MOST reviewers saying how incredible the game was and it even originally landed at like a 93 on metacritic. The one gamespot critic that gave it a 7 got torn apart and what ended up happening in the end? She was right.

Then every reviewer tried to about face and explain away the hype they were giving the game for months. A lot of these journalist are scared to death of the fans of these games.

I’m also seeing a lot of people that are connected to microsoft singing it praises. People like Jez, Tom Warren, Grubb, and a few others. Like i said, we’ll see what happens when people who aren’t under a microscope get to play through the entire campaign and review it

The beautiful thing about the campaign preview thread is that it has most of these previews in links in the OP, so anyone without an agenda can see that the vast majority of entries have no affiliation with Microsoft, and are overwhelming positive.

I understand, though. Some of you have invested a lot of time and effort in the whole ‘Halo is dead’ mantra. Must come as a rude shock to you to see this poised to land successfully.

PS: Your cyberpunk story is not even apt, since the previews were all done with the PC version, and the final PC version landed with great reviews.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We're now approaching the final leg of our full story recap of the Halo series. Last time, we talked about Halo 4, which ended in dramatic fashion with the death of Cortana and a new threat to the galaxy emerging. Now, we're moving on to Halo 5: Guardians, which, frankly, is a little bit of a mess- but obviously, it's going to be crucial to what happens in Halo Infinite, so let's dive right in.

Top Bottom