• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343i Still Considering Adding Microtransactions to Halo: The Master Chief Collection

https://gamerant.com/343-industries-considering-microtransactions-halo-the-master-chief-collection/
However, even eight years after it initially released, it seems Halo: The Master Chief Collection is also capable of causing some controversy. 343 Industries has consistently supported the formerly buggy Master Chief Collection, making it the game fans love today, but, the company is also looking to introduce a new feature which many have found controversial. Namely, 343 Industries is considering the introduction of microtransactions in Halo: The Master Chief Collection, believing that they could help new players getting into the game.

343 first approached its players with this idea back in June, and two months later, in another blog post, asking again whether it is worth adding purchasable Spartan Points. Due to the mountainous task of unlocking all the cosmetics in Halo: The Master Chief Collection, 343 believes that by allowing players to purchase Spartan Points, it could lessen the load of this ordeal, that may even cause some to turn away. As expected, 343's question to Halo: The Master Chief Collection players proves controversial, as it did two months ago.

343 Industries is aware of this controversy, though, and has stated in its blog post that there has been a "lively conversation" among Halo fans about the idea of microtransactions being brought to The Master Chief Collection. The argument that it could help new players begin their journey on the game does have some ground, but many would rather not see the introduction of paid mechanics in a title that didn't previously have them. New updates are still being brought out for Halo: The Master Chief Collection on somewhat of a regular basis, with the latest patch being set for next week. It might be the case that by the time the next lot of new features drop after next week's update, purchasable Spartan Points will be included.

I don't get this, if new players can't unlock stuff by playing the game, and want to just pay for it to get a short term buzz, why even buy the game? it's not going to attract new players that theory is dumb, if they wanted to play Halo for the MP or the SP they would play it for that reason, they aren't going to trash the disc or uninstall because they couldn't pay to upgrade or pay to win. Wtf?

The game is 8 years old (over 3 years old on PC) how much money do you think they are going to get this late in the game from MTX? lol.

Jaybe

Due to the mountainous task of unlocking all the cosmetics in Halo: The Master Chief Collection, 343 believes that by allowing players to purchase Spartan Points, it could lessen the load of this ordeal

The ordeal of actually playing the game? 🤦‍♂️

If only they would just be honest and say, “Look community, we want money. We keep supporting this game, and Halo Infinite ain’t doing what we thought it would do, so…”

Banned
I would be ok with it if it means that they will actively restart development on Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer, and bring new maps and tons of unlockable armor pieces to it.
H2A MP is the best modern iteration of Halo Multiplayer, but it's so low on maps and support that it is largely ignored by the community.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
They tried to swallow, but it was too big.
CmiES9e.gif

anthony2690

Banned
You know if the prices were not stupid on halo infinite, I'd probably buy a couple items here and there.

£2 for an armour set or whatever, sure I'd probably bite and wouldn't be upset other it.

£8 though? And suddenly they get nothing from me.

The only thing I've purchased is the battle passes for £7 each what I feel is worth it, with the amount I've played since the game came out.

& I've got the 1000 coins from the second pass waiting for the third pass :)

laynelane

The ordeal of actually playing the game? 🤦‍♂️

If only they would just be honest and say, “Look community, we want money. We keep supporting this game, and Halo Infinite ain’t doing what we thought it would do, so…”

"Mountainous task" isn't exactly the kind of descriptor to make your game sound good either. Besides being upfront about why they want to add micro-transactions, it might be an idea to take some of the work out of playing the game.

343i has updated us on this issue on their special media.

Except it's just them confirming again they are still considering adding them. So it seems they are still being indecisive.

My question is, how many players are left on MCC to monetize? By now PC is likely dead, so it's probably just a few thousands of players on Xbox One.

Codes 208

Someone should let 343 know that there’s still tens of players playing Halo 5, there’s still time for them to ruin that game too!
5 already has MTX, 343 wants to go for the jugular by ruining the one truly good game they released

ZehDon

343i has updated us on this issue on their special media.

Except it's just them confirming again they are still considering adding them. So it seems they are still being indecisive.

My question is, how many players are left on MCC to monetize? By now PC is likely dead, so it's probably just a few thousands of players on Xbox One.
Not really. MCC is often more popular than Halo Infinite on PC. It has the superior multiplayer, with more content, modes, custom games, Forge, mods, and it has better on-going support. On Xbox, it's not as currently popular as Halo Infinite, but it's does surprising well considering its age.

It depends on what the microtransactions entail. My initial reaction was eww gross, but microtransactions actually make more sense for a game like the master chief collection. It's an older game and one that would benefit from new content being added. So again it depends on what adding microtransactions would bring to the game other than small cosmetic items. If say it would mean 343 is going to create new multiplayer maps and continue supporting the game, in the end, that's actually a really good thing for the player base and the game itself.

5 already has MTX, 343 wants to go for the jugular by ruining the one truly good game they released
Probably one of the better examples of a least-invasive microtransaction system, which didn't impact the game outside of cosmetics and warzone. The warzone portion of Halo 5 was meant to feel arcade-y, so a req system didn't really bother me as much, as all of the reqs could be unlocked over time for free.

BlackTron

Off topic but I wanted to ask where there are Halo people hanging out. Can you turn on hit registration sounds in Halo CE? I recently got into the game again after playing hundreds of hours back in the day and the missing hit sound feels like a nerve got chopped off...I used to adjust my aim depending on what lead got the sound. Now it's really hard to tell if your shot connected at all so how do you adjust/compensate your lead for lag??

Codes 208

It depends on what the microtransactions entail. My initial reaction was eww gross, but microtransactions actually make more sense for a game like the master chief collection. It's an older game and one that would benefit from new content being added. So again it depends on what adding microtransactions would bring to the game other than small cosmetic items. If say it would mean 343 is going to create new multiplayer maps and continue supporting the game, in the end, that's actually a really good thing for the player base and the game itself.

Probably one of the better examples of a least-invasive microtransaction system, which didn't impact the game outside of cosmetics and warzone. The warzone portion of Halo 5 was meant to feel arcade-y, so a req system didn't really bother me as much, as all of the reqs could be unlocked over time for free.
It wasnt bad, getting enough creds for a gold usually only took about an hour at most (depending what gamemode you play), but i mean, it is still there regardless (but its still considerably better than infinite’s, charging $5 just for a basic color is the perfect example of how greedy their system is, especially in S1)

Last edited:
Same post from HaloGAF community thread -

Honestly if they keep going with support, new maps and content for MCC I don't mind MTX for cosmetics at all. Bring it on and keep MCC alive. Hell I'd sub to a battlepass if MCC was cranked up with maps on the regular. I'll happily be a mini whale to keep that golden Halo game running for all.

I'll add one proviso though, Australian only server selection simply must be allowed and reenabled. The fact it was there, they consolidated to one Australian region instead of two and then forced multiple region selections in your network settings equates to us Aussies being forced to match with players 6,000Kms away minimum. Fucking stupid. Leave the choice with the players/parties.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The way 343 is treated on this forum it should just be a silly tax on certain posters. How does $100 per whiner sound?

Banned
If it's dead on PC then it's been cremated here in Europe. Haven't been able to find a match in months.

wtf are you trying to play? most playlists in Halo 3, Reach and Halo 2 are played well enough to find matches in europe.

I find matches in MCC faster than in Infinite at times... but then again I haven't played Infinite in months, so maybe that one got worse or better for all I know

Last edited:
The way 343 is treated on this forum it should just be a silly tax on certain posters. How does $100 per whiner sound?

Found the 343 employee.

The way 343 has treated Halo should have an industry quality assurance tax on certain game releases. How does free Gamepass sound per major bug or missing feature?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Found the 343 employee.

The way 343 has treated Halo should have an industry quality assurance tax on certain game releases. How does free Gamepass sound per major bug or missing feature?

Wait they only have one employee?
Thier games are fairly highly rated overall, that's a fact. You do realize how much worse it could have been? I can think of dozens of so called aaa developers who could have easily destroyed halo.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Let's put this to bed finally.

Good. Excellent even. Wish they’d have dodged the negative PR by not even coming up with this brain dead plan in the first place, but they can’t do anything else apart from walk back on it right now, so well done to them.

Top Bottom